PDA

View Full Version : Displaying dual monitors

Bryan
7th April 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get my laptop to display up on my LCD tv in addition to its own screen. My old crappy laptop does this fine just by plugging it in, however my newer one only runs on the tv if I do it as an extension (2 monitors) instead of a clone (same display on both).

Selecting all the options in the NVIDIA control panel for clone doesn't work, it just makes the tv display blank. Any ideas?

Computer is a Toshiba Tecra running Windows Vista Business.

Brad
7th April 2009, 04:53 PM
Most Laptops have a function key that cycles between 3 modes.

1 - Laptop Screen only
2 - 2nd Monitor only
3 - Both monitors at once.

For Dells and IBMs, it's normally FN and then F7 or F8 but it's marked on the keys. Toshibas are the same so give that a go.

Brad

Bryan
7th April 2009, 05:12 PM
Most Laptops have a function key that cycles between 3 modes.

1 - Laptop Screen only
2 - 2nd Monitor only
3 - Both monitors at once.

For Dells and IBMs, it's normally FN and then F7 or F8 but it's marked on the keys. Toshibas are the same so give that a go.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thankyou for your suggestion! I did try that, unfortunately it only swaps between no display, and extension (not clone).

For some reason it doesn't display as a clone of my screen (which to me would require less processing power than as an extension of the desktop)..

JeffKennett
7th April 2009, 06:13 PM
i had a similar problem a while ago, fixed it from memory doing something like this.. did my head in as well. Mind you this is XP. Not sure about Vista.

-- grabbed from another website --

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > "Displays" Tab

Under the "Displays" Tab I switched the laptop screen and attached monitor screen by selecting the "1" and 2" buttons below them. This switches the default monitors.

After this I went back to the "Settings" screen under the "Display Properties" and un-checked the box that says, "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

This shut off my laptop display completely, and made the attached monitor my default screen with the taskbar and icons and such

--

wingtipvortex
7th April 2009, 06:14 PM
I have constant issues with clone/dualview detection with my nvidia drivers. Try plugging everything in before starting laptop and tv, if that dosnt work try it the other way round. Or, turn tv on after start up.

If that dosnt work, try completing the rubick's cube in under 12 seconds, youll have a better chance of that:D

Bryan
7th April 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, I don't feel as stupid now. Thing is, on my old XP laptop, it works perfectly plug and play however I want. On my new one, when I connect it, the computer trials about 30 different resolutions and flicks between adn swaps monitors and finally decides that nothing works and puts it blank :@

wingtipvortex
7th April 2009, 07:37 PM
On my new one, when I connect it, the computer trials about 30 different resolutions and flicks between adn swaps monitors and finally decides that nothing works and puts it blank :@
Im no wizz, but when mine does that little dance of resolutions, its normaly resolution conflict in display settings. Can you lower the res on your tv?

Bang the res down on your lappie as well, just to see what happens.......if that works, you can troubleshoot your way back up