PDA

View Full Version : have i rooted my modem/router?

danny_galaga
6th April 2009, 04:27 PM
my housemate bought a new wireless modem/router. i started setting it up and everything was going swell (her laptop was detecting it, although it didnt yet have internet enabled). but then i got to the bit where i have to put in the internet account details and i realised i didnt know, since its my housemates account. she wasnt around, so i aborted until she could tell me. of course now i try it and the internet symbol is red, and the laptop doesnt 'see' it anymore. i tried pressing the 'restore factory settings' button but that didnt seem to be doing anything.

can these things be 'bricked'?

for now im still using the old modem/router but my housemate cant use her laptop of course...

Mikie
6th April 2009, 05:00 PM
i've only seen one bricked uploading firmware, even then could get it back with a tftp poweron upload

is it not working at all now for anything?

worst case, just replace it since its new.

Brootal
6th April 2009, 05:36 PM
Never seen one bricked, unless as Mikie said you stop in the middle of a firmware upgrade.

Did you follow the full procedure for restoring defaults? Often it some sort of hold the button down while powering up, standing on your left leg.

longreach
6th April 2009, 07:11 PM
Just to throw more of the same opinion in there for you, I have done plenty of stuffups mucking around with my modem, I have never 'bricked' it. I have had a hard time fixing it from my 'playing' though.

By the way, if you restored factory settings by some sort of menu that may not always work. With mine if you hold the reset down for 20secs it does an absolute clear of everything. A proper 'restore factory settings'.

Hope that helps.

comrade.vader
6th April 2009, 07:21 PM
Idoubt its stuffed but by resetting the modem you have reset the default gateway as well.
Go to my network places (win xp) click on view network connections. l.A.N connection, right click on Status then properties this will tell you the default gateway adress which you then type in the web address of the modem in your browser address bar, hpoe this helps

MrMaloo
6th April 2009, 07:54 PM
have i rooted my modem/router ?

:Lets_do_it_wild:

God I certainly hope not !!!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

@lien_Zed
6th April 2009, 09:10 PM
wow Danny, syou said in a thread yesterday you aint had a shag since august and uncle kevs $900 was going to get you liad, but this is bordereline rediculious

only kidding :lol:lol

i doubet you stuffed the router cos you aborted the setup

have a look on the router usually near the power plug there is a small hole to shove in a paper clip for about 30 seconds and do a full reset

try this 3 times and then have another go

Womble
6th April 2009, 10:00 PM
Read the doco for the router about what you need to do to do a full factory restore. Its going to be something along the lines of pushing a pin in the little hole on the back, how long you need to hold it down for is another matter. It varies a lot, you might think you are resetting it by just pushing it, but you may have to hold it in for ten seconds and then power cycle, depends on the device. Best to check..

Chances you have knackered it - virtually zero!

danny_galaga
7th April 2009, 03:19 PM
ill have a look a bit later. sounds like i didnt reset it then. i pushed a paper clip in and just pressed the button- didnt hold it for 30 seconds or whatever. ill check the manual (probably like i shoulda done in the first place!)

Brad
7th April 2009, 04:21 PM
ill have a look a bit later. sounds like i didnt reset it then. i pushed a paper clip in and just pressed the button- didnt hold it for 30 seconds or whatever. ill check the manual (probably like i shoulda done in the first place!)

Real men don't read manuals. We swear, whinge, ask our mates.....bash our heads and then throw it down in disgust and have a beer instead.

Brad

@lien_Zed
7th April 2009, 07:29 PM
Real men don't read manuals. We swear, whinge, ask our mates.....bash our heads and then throw it down in disgust and have a beer instead.

Brad

No, no no,

manuals are the packing that stop the good getting damaged in the first place

remember if at first you dont succeed, then read the instructions :lol

Mikie
7th April 2009, 10:23 PM
the old one i used to have, you had to hold down the reset, then plug the power in, then let go of reset

danny_galaga
9th April 2009, 04:12 PM
yep, this one is 'hold down for ten seconds'. so now i know its working (laptop recognises the wireless) its all down to my housemate. all she has to do is find out the actual password and login. im in no rush, im quite happy with the old modem. i dont need wireless :D