PDA

View Full Version : data east star wars help!

sparkaruss
26th March 2009, 06:51 PM
hi just bought a star wars .it was going and stopped,ive checked voltages which are pretty well spot on,4.9v at test points on mpu,i then removed the mpu from machine and connected a pc power supply which apparently is all i need to do for it to boot.i still get the 5v and pia leds lit but dosent light the blanking led and the pia remains lit.i read that this means 5c is bad.any info or hints would be greatly appreciated.thanks

MrMaloo
26th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Is there any acid damage on the board around the batteries ????

Are the game roms inserted correctly ???? Have a close look and make sure every pin is located correctly.

sparkaruss
26th March 2009, 08:24 PM
yeah a little coroded but did check continuity,seems ok.yeah it was going yesterday so the roms must be right i presume.its frustrating.

MrMaloo
26th March 2009, 08:31 PM
Where are you located ?

If you're in the Newcastle / Central Coast area I can recommend SkyBeaux (Ken) from here on AA to find the problem .

sparkaruss
26th March 2009, 08:45 PM
cool:no at rockhampton,does anyone know who fixes boards?

Arcade King
27th March 2009, 05:24 AM
Tony at the Pinball shed does Trips to Rocky sometimes. Send him a pm.

sparkaruss
27th March 2009, 07:28 AM
YEAH THATS WHERE I GOT IT FROM:blink:

The Pinball Shed
27th March 2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Russ, Can you send me the mpu and I will check it out for you, I can bring it back up there in a few weeks.

sparkaruss
27th March 2009, 09:57 AM
THANKS TONY I DIDNT WANT TO BOTHER YOU BEING SO BUSY!IT WAS GOING WHEN I GOT IT.DAM PINBALLS!

The Pinball Shed
27th March 2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Russ, Thanks no problems, never to busy to fix pinballs. Are you sure its not the power supply board, have you another Data East game that you can swap a few boards around with to try and pin point the problem board. If in doubt just send me both of the boards.

sparkaruss
27th March 2009, 11:31 AM
I WAS READING ABOUT IT ON MARVINS PINBALL REPAIR,THEY SAID IT SHOULD BOOT WITH THE 5V HOOKED UP AND NOTHING ELSE .DO YOU KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE RIGHT?ALL THE VOLTAGES SEEM AROUND RIGHT GOING BY THE BOOK.I MIGHT VISIT ACOUSTICAL AND SEE IF IT BOOTS ON THERES IF ITS WORKING.DO YOU SELL DISPLAYS .:)RUSS

MrMaloo
27th March 2009, 11:55 AM
DO YOU SELL DISPLAYS .:)RUSS

I have a topper for the DE SW pin for sale if you are interested (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=21198 ). Would be willing to chuck in a manual as well .

Arcade King
27th March 2009, 02:26 PM
PS: Your caps lock seems to be stuck ;)

sparkaruss
27th March 2009, 05:21 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED HOPEFULLY.PUT BOARD IN ANOTHER STAR WARS.STILL THE SAME .SWAPPED A COUPLE OF CHIPS AND AWAY IT WENT .IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE 6821 AND CORROSION OF THE CRADLE.IVE REMOVED IT AND WILL SOLDER A NEW ONE IN TOMMORROW IF THE SOLDER WILL STICK.

MrMaloo
27th March 2009, 05:26 PM
Nice one .... but your Caps Lock is still stuck on ..... :laugh:

sparkaruss
27th March 2009, 05:47 PM
caps locked fix.so much easier than pinball fixing.:laugh:

The Pinball Shed
27th March 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi Russ,
I called it character building, fixing these project pinballs. It makes a better person out of you. Great learning experience for a great hobby.

Keep up the good work, did the display shit itself, they are pretty dear at the moment due to the dollar, but I might have a good secondhand one here if needed.

sparkaruss
28th March 2009, 02:57 AM
what about 3 displays,the latest purchaces are missing lines etc,look terrible.:cry