PDA

View Full Version : Terra Cresta problems

Burra749
7th August 2006, 04:04 PM
Any suggestions as to whats going on with this.
The ship is just a square block & so are the attacking ships, apart from that everything else works fine.

GameDude
7th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Corrupt ROM
Damage to PCB (cut/broken tracks) from bad storage.
Bad character generator.
Bad chip selector.
If its a bootleg could be bad traces.

Generally most PCB divide the game up into areas. Sound, Background, foreground, sprites ect. If the game plays well and the sprites are all thats bad I suggest getting the schematics and start probing the video curcuits. Not an easy task for the average joe but easy enough if you know what to look for.

BUT.. I highly recommend a visual inspection first at least half of what I see is physical damage.

See if that helps.

Mrvfone
7th August 2006, 05:19 PM
The ship is just a square block & so are the attacking ships, apart from that everything else works fine.

I had somthing simular.. It was the sprite ram! but could be quite a few things... I never fully finished fixing the board...

Mrv.

Arcade King
7th August 2006, 08:39 PM
When you come over mate bring the board and ill swap the top and bottom boards around with my working one narrow down the problem.

Burra749
8th August 2006, 07:58 AM
Hi AK
Thanks for the offer.
I have 2 board sets myself & neither fully work.
Ive swapped all the roms etc with no luck as well as boards :x
Ill bring both sets & see what we can do.
I will be down on Friday & staying over at a mates.:sleep
Was hoping you could spare some time Saturday morning.
If not perhaps Fri night.
Let me know when suits you best.
Richard

LOTR4U
8th August 2006, 09:50 AM
When you come over mate bring the board and ill swap the top and bottom boards around with my working one narrow down the problem.

Sorry for the Hijack :redface

What did I need to do to my board? Was it just replacing the sound pot? cos the sound is on full blast?

MadMikeAU
8th August 2006, 03:42 PM

My Choplifter bootleg was doing the same - garbage sprites. Turned out the connector between the boards was dirty.

Try taking the boards apart and blowing in the sockets. See if that causes a slight improvement.

WOKA
9th August 2006, 11:00 PM
Have you checked all the voltages from the power supply to the PCB..? I raealise I'm out of my depth here but sometimes my Galaga will do something similiar, but a slight adjustment to the V+/- on the power supply soon sorts it out..

W.

GameDude
11th August 2006, 11:09 AM
Try taking the boards apart and blowing in the sockets. See if that causes a slight improvement.

That does NOT work.... ever... its a myth. Same as bashing carts and other stupid wives tales, all you will do is damage
Edge connectors and ribbon cables have to be cleaned.. period.

Sorry I have to say that cause I shudder everytime I see or hear that :D

MadMikeAU
11th August 2006, 03:01 PM
That does NOT work.... ever... its a myth. Same as bashing carts and other stupid wives tales, all you will do is damage
Edge connectors and ribbon cables have to be cleaned.. period.

Sorry I have to say that cause I shudder everytime I see or hear that :D

I meant blowing with your mouth ie the kind of blowing that doesnt require unzipping :D

Thats how I got my choplifter working...
1) I test. No worky
2) I blow in the socket. Slight Improvement...hmmm...
3) I clean the socket. Fixed.

GameDude
11th August 2006, 05:13 PM
I kid you not, I saw one operator whack a cartridge on the ground then blow it, just like the old NES days... :rolleyes
If anything your hot breath and condensation will improve the connection for a few minutes but ultimatly it attracts more grime...

MadMikeAU
11th August 2006, 05:50 PM
If the slot is the problem, blowing in it can be a good diagnostic tool

Burra749
11th August 2006, 06:23 PM
Theres only one slot Im interested in blowing in.

GameDude
11th August 2006, 08:02 PM
Theres only one slot Im interested in blowing in.

Amen to dat ... brudda!:evil