PDA

View Full Version : TILT: The Future of Pinball Doco DVD

Mickey Juice
7th August 2006, 01:35 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but there is a doco in the works all about the Williams Pinball 2000 system.
The trailer has been out for a bit:

http://www.futureofpinball.com/index.html

The Future of Pinball is a documentary that tells the story of the extraordinary Pinball 2000(tm) machines built by Williams in an effort to save not just the company, but the product that had defined coin-operated entertainment for eighty years.

NMD
7th August 2006, 02:23 PM
Been on the notification list for a while now, cant wait to see it!! :) Getting close apparantly

Mickey Juice
7th August 2006, 03:19 PM
Been on the notification list for a while now, cant wait to see it!! :) Getting close apparantly

Me too.
I would have been pissed if I had planned to go see it at The Pinball Fantasy convention in Vegas and then the screening got cancelled!

NMD
7th August 2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah that was a bit unfortunate, but the yanks are spolied when it comes to pinball anyway ;)

If only we could have a couple of events downunder...

Mickey Juice
8th August 2006, 10:07 AM
For those that havn't seen the trailer:
YouTube - Future of Pinball Trailer

Looks like a pretty shmick doco.

NMD
9th August 2006, 09:04 PM
Got this email today, good interview and worth the listen;

Dear "Future of Pinball" News subscriber,

Looking for something to tide you over until the release of the DVD? If so, look no further than PodTech.net, where I recently did an interview about the creation of "The Future of Pinball." It's an audio interview about 25 minutes long and goes into--among other things--my reasons for creating the documentary, some insights into the pinball industry, and a discussion of the extra material that will be on the DVD. If you're interested, please give it a listen at:

http://www.podtech.net/?p=886

Thanks for your continued support!

Greg

Mickey Juice
10th August 2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah it was a good interview. Makes me more eager to see the doco now!

His comments were interesting regarding the health of the pinball market ie it wasn't dead, just that the market was flooded after the early 90's boom.
I also started reading up on Pinball 2000, and interesting (or sad) that it would have only got better!

The existing two Pinball 2000 games (RFM and SWE1) were rushed to market while the pinball 2000 system itself was being developed. Because of this, the first two games aren't as "deep" as they could have been. Games three and later addressed many of the criticisms of Pinball 2000 ("too reliant on the video", "shoot up the middle only" and "I can't see the ball at the top of the playfield"). But unfortunately we will never see the full potential of this new and unique pinball system.

http://www.marvin3m.com/pin2000/index1.htm

Mickey Juice
19th December 2006, 02:50 PM
*bump*

The DVD will be available soon!!

Before we exit 2006 I wanted to leave you with some exciting and long-awaited news: the documentary DVD is due to ship in February!

Pricing information will be available in early January, as well as the ability to pre-order the DVD. (I'll be sure to notify everyone via this newsletter once the online store is...well, online.) And look for some other new developments as well, including a title change for the film! More to come in the next few weeks...

Thanks for your continued support,

Greg

http://www.TheFutureOfPinball.com

ZXR
24th January 2007, 04:25 PM
Could be an interesting watch...

http://www.tilt-movie.com/

And I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to use the search properly. :P

-ZXR

Mickey Juice
24th January 2007, 04:35 PM
*cough*
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=4224

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=2190

NMD
10th March 2007, 05:56 PM
Looks like the shipping has been pushed back a month, the website has been changed from shipping in early March to shipping in early April.

http://www.tilt-movie.com/buy.html

I'm so eager to see this, been waiting for a long time so i guess another month wont hurt.

cagey
10th March 2007, 06:19 PM
Kinda off topic but does anyone know the name of that pinball with the machine-gun-like ball shooter that they show in the first video? It appears for a fragment of a second right after Banzai Run i think.

http://www.tilt-movie.com/trailer.html

NMD
10th March 2007, 06:37 PM
Its a Williams Hyperball (http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3169&picno=5996)

NMD
17th March 2007, 04:46 PM
Got an update via email last night, sounds like itll be well worth the extra wait :)

Dear TILT purchaser,

First of all, thank you so much for your pre-order. It's incredibly gratifying to know that there are so many of you interested in my film, and interested in this fantastic story about technology. I'm writing to update you on the status of the project, and though it's been delayed just a bit, we're still pretty close. Furthermore, to compensate for the delay there's a bonus for you that I'll describe a little later.

First, about delivery dates. I had originally planned on shipping DVDs at the end of March, then a couple of issues arose:

1) The person who had volunteered to do German subtitles for the film mysteriously disappeared for several weeks, which left me in a bit of a bind. (It turns out he had a broken laptop that was in the repair shop for a long time...but still, I was a little panicked at trying to find a replacement.) I did find a replacement after I solicited help from the group of you in Germany who've purchased the DVD. The subtitles are now translated, and that problem is out of the way. (Special thanks to everyone who helped out, especially Gordon Buch, who handled quite a large amount of the work himself.)

2) This one's a good issue: thanks to the help of a generous pinball fan named Damon Beal, I got a hold of some treasured footage: video of George Gomez's 1999 Pinball 2000 speech--considered a seminal pinball event--and footage of a tour of the Williams pinball factory just weeks before it closed! Both of these assets were so valuable that I knew I had to incorporate them onto the Extras DVD. In fact, they were so valuable that I ended up turning the "Complete" edition DVD from a single DVD to a two-DVD set because it wouldn't fit otherwise! This took a little bit of time that I wasn't planning on...but I think you'll be happy with the result.

Anyway, between these two issues, the project was delayed. A this point I believe I'm 5 weeks away from shipping the DVDs (that includes the two weeks it'll take to produce them.) That puts us in mid- to late-April, which is later than you expected, later than I hoped for, and I apologize for that. I take these deadlines very seriously. (And if you feel so inclined, I'm happy to provide a refund to anyone who'd like one.) But the now-improved double-DVD edition I think will make it worth the wait. (The TILT web site will be updated with this new information over this coming weekend.)

Anyway, that's the update. If anything changes further I'll be sure to let you know. (Oh, and if you ordered a poster, those will be coming at about the same time.)

Thanks very much,

Greg

Fair Dinkum Dan
17th March 2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for posting the update for the TILT dvd preorders.

Cheers,

Dan :cool:

NMD
19th April 2007, 05:04 PM
Another update today..... :)

Hi, everyone--

A quick TILT DVD status update:

The final TILT DVDs will be sent off to be replicated at the end of next week! I'm told it will take approximately two weeks for the entire order to be manufactured. From there, some of the DVDs will be shipped to Amazon.com, who will be in charge of fulfilling the U.S. orders. The remainder of the DVDs will be sent to me, and I'll be in charge of fulfilling the international orders. (Amazon.com unfortunately doesn't have international fulfillment capability yet. They're supposed to have it in a month, so hopefully I can get out of the shipping business after this initial batch!)

After next week it'll be mostly out of my hands, but I'll hazard a guess now and say that U.S. customers will have your DVDs by late May. International customers may be a week or two longer (I've been fairly aghast at the time it takes to send DVD overseas, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and say that it'll be early June.) If anything changes to affect this schedule I'll be sure to let you know.

The waiting is almost over! Thanks for your patience,

Greg

P.S.: Those who ordered posters should get them a bit sooner, probably within three weeks.

--
Greg Maletic
Producer of "TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball"

jumpydoctor
19th April 2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the updates, is this a site update or is this coming via email? Just wondering as I ordered a couple and have not had any emails as yet.

NMD
19th April 2007, 07:22 PM
Been getting them via email you should be too if you have pre-ordered.. drop him a line if your not and let him know.

Guru-Choc
19th April 2007, 08:20 PM
I have pre-ordered and getting the emails.

pocketmoney
21st April 2007, 05:49 AM
I have pre-ordered and getting the emails.

Same here..

Looking forward to seeing this, when it arrives in the post.

Fair Dinkum Dan
26th May 2007, 10:18 AM
Bump!

Another email was sent:

Dear TILT Purchaser--

Just a brief note to give you the latest:

- DVDs are in production. I will update you in the next week when I have a definitive ship date.

- Posters will start shipping tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience during this final phase of production. As always, feel free to reply back to this e-mail with questions, concerns, etc.

Thanks very much,

Greg

--
Greg Maletic
greg@tilt-movie.com

http://www.Tilt-Movie.com

Cheers,

mamejay
26th May 2007, 01:01 PM
Hope its good. I just ordered one myself. Can't wait

TV1
29th June 2007, 07:52 PM
Has anyone received their Tilt DVD yet?

Ballypinball
29th June 2007, 09:03 PM
Nope

Mickey Juice
29th June 2007, 11:36 PM
They only just shipped on the 27th

Dear TILT News Subscriber:

Good news: TILT DVDs are on their way from the manufacturer and due to arrive at the Amazon.com shipping facility on June 27. (FedEx Tracking Number 662427860005855 if you're interested.) From there they'll ship out to everyone who has ordered the DVD...which hopefully includes you. In case it doesn't, well, here's your final chance to save the $5.95 shipping charge, because that discount is going to disappear on June 27. Act now!

Barring any unforeseen glitches with the DVD--and I've watched the thing enough by now that I really think it's in pretty good shape--I think you're going to love it. The film turned out great, and the extras (all seven HOURS of them) are really amazing. All of the guys who I interviewed for the film are just spectacular both at what they do, and explaining what they do; it makes for great viewing. If you're a pinball fan you'll think you've died and gone to heaven; if you're not (and you will be after you watch the film) you'll still find plenty to enjoy in this fantastic story of innovation and obsolescence.

If you haven't ordered your DVD yet, please do so! Just visit http://www.Tilt-Movie.com/buy.html.

Thanks very much for your support over the duration of this very long project!

--Greg

@lien_Zed
30th June 2007, 07:34 AM
They only just shipped on the 27th

well expect about 2 weeks delay if it come from USA via air freight

Mickey Juice
10th July 2007, 09:43 AM
Anyone got theirs yet?

Dear TILT DVD/poster purchaser,
You're receiving this e-mail because you haven't received your DVD and/or movie poster yet. I wanted to give you an update on the situation so you know what to expect and approximately when to expect it.
Over 300 people have so far received DVDs. Within the next two to three days everyone that placed an order before early May will have their DVD and/or poster ship. Next week, everyone else should be taken care of as well, and the backlog should be gone.
Sorry to everyone who hasn't received their merchandise yet; I'm as frustrated as you are! (I've decided to terminate my fulfillment relationship with Amazon since--without them--everyone would have already had their merchandise. In fact, that's what will cause the delay to next week for some people, because I'm waiting for the DVDs to come back to me from the Amazon warehouse.)
Feel free to write back with any questions, and continued thanks for your order.
--Greg

--
Greg Maletic
greg@tilt-movie.com

hamish_nz
10th July 2007, 09:52 AM
Still waiting. its become a bit of a joke

Mickey Juice
10th July 2007, 09:57 AM
Still waiting. its become a bit of a joke

Especially for the price we paid for them!

Meh, I don't mind waiting.

Fair Dinkum Dan
10th July 2007, 10:30 AM
Especially for the price we paid for them!

Meh, I don't mind waiting.

Me too. Good things do take time. So hopefully it will be worth the wait. No doubt it should be too.

Cheers,

frs
10th July 2007, 11:49 AM
Pretty sure there are still guys in the US that haven't received them yet

Mickey Juice
10th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah there's a bit of a back-log

NMD
19th July 2007, 09:27 PM
The wait is starting to get to me..... must be any day now!

gunigoogoo
19th July 2007, 10:13 PM
I was assured mine was shipped last week. Still waiting...

hamish_nz
20th July 2007, 07:32 AM
Its pain full like the night before christmas when you where a kid

hamish_nz
24th July 2007, 06:26 AM
Wahoooooo !!!!!!!!!!

MY DVD arrived today can't wait to watch it tonight.

the packing looks very slick

Guru-Choc
24th July 2007, 06:49 AM
Hopefully mine is in the post tonight then.

NMD
24th July 2007, 07:13 AM
Good stuff Hamish you lucky bugger! Hopefully everyone else's are close :D

hamish_nz
24th July 2007, 07:23 AM
Trying ot sort a movie night for the local pinball geeks :-)

Fair Dinkum Dan
24th July 2007, 10:21 PM
:041: Yee-haaar!!! :038: Picked up my dvd from the Post Office today as well. Gonna try and watch some of it tonight. :023:

Cheers,

NMD
25th July 2007, 12:08 AM
Well what do you know, i just got home from a really shitty 15 hour day at work and when i walked in the door there it was on top of the pile of mail ! It made my day :D

No loose dics in package or any of the other complaints many of the Americans had and i think this was because the international ones were handled by Greg himself and not Amazon.

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th July 2007, 12:33 AM
Disc 1 of mine was actually moving around when I received it - had popped out of its seating. This is always a possibility of happening with cd's and dvds due to the unavoidable impact from other items in the mail. This will happen regardless of who packs them. The only way to minimise this is to actually place packing beads or similar inside to cushion discs to prevent them popping out of their position.

I think the problem with Amazon was due to delays. Could be wrong. :unsure

Happy to have received the long awaited discs. :023:

Cheers,

NMD
25th July 2007, 12:36 AM
You can say that again, im just really happy that its arrived... and how about the second disc, 6h 45mins of extras :sm1:

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th July 2007, 12:53 AM
You can say that again, im just really happy that its arrived... and how about the second disc, 6h 45mins of extras :sm1:

You watched it already, Neil? :D I've only just put disc 1 on. :lol

Cheers,

Darksoul
25th July 2007, 01:01 AM
So what is the verdict?

NMD
25th July 2007, 01:12 AM
Nah havnt watched it yet Dan, I will speak to the central coast boys first to see if they want to arrange a viewing i threw the idea in the air a while ago with them.

I wont be and havnt read any reviews until i see it :)

Enjoy it mate :cool:

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th July 2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching it, though will have to leave it to tomorrow (hopefully) as I gotta get up in a few hours. Unless, I watch it in the car on the way to work. :D

Cheers,

hamish_nz
25th July 2007, 06:49 AM
watched the first disk last night.

very well produced, great interviews.

Not much detail on the pinball 2000 machine

I expect this will come in the second DVD

Mickey Juice
25th July 2007, 11:59 AM
Woo! Mine just arrived!
Too bad both the DVD holders broke hench they were rattling around inside getting some scratches. Lucky I just bought a box of 100 DVD cases so I can replace this flimsy one!

TV1
25th July 2007, 01:08 PM
Mine arrived this morning as well, cant wait to get home and start watching.

Pop Bumper Pete
25th July 2007, 05:16 PM
mine came to day
sound skips a bit in a handful of places

I have just watched the first disc, not bad
though I don't know if I would watch it too many times

Guru-Choc
25th July 2007, 07:23 PM
1 disc was loose when I got the package

Watching the first disc now, 2nd disc when I have a marathon poker tourney later tonight.

Gav
20th August 2007, 12:17 PM
Has anybody seen this in a video shop for rent yet,my local says that they are not intending to get it in.Would love to see it but cant see it available anywhere other than O/S.

TV1
20th August 2007, 12:31 PM
Its not really a Hollywood block buster so you'll never see it in the video shops.

I'm sure one of the guys in Adelaide would lend it for you to watch.

Fair Dinkum Dan
20th August 2007, 12:44 PM
Has anybody seen this in a video shop for rent yet,my local says that they are not intending to get it in.Would love to see it but cant see it available anywhere other than O/S.

Gavin, I merged your thread into the original TILT Doco thread.

Cheers,

judgeboz
20th August 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm sure one of the guys in Adelaide would lend it for you to watch.

I think someone is giving me a nudge to put my hand up.:lol

I have a copy of a copy ...... Its loaned out at the moment but you can have it next - its worth watching.

Gav
20th August 2007, 12:48 PM

I have a copy of a copy ...... Its loaned out at the moment but you can have it next - its worth watching.

That would be great John,let me know when its avail.Thanks:cool:

Mickey Juice
20th August 2007, 12:52 PM
I've nearly watched all the extras... probably better than the main movie!

judgeboz
20th August 2007, 12:55 PM
That would be great John,let me know when its avail.Thanks:cool:

No probs - will do. I also have 3 DVDs of 90s pinball promos too - if you like - hours and hours of pinball pleasure viewing.

TV1
20th August 2007, 01:02 PM

Boy your quick

Gav
20th August 2007, 01:05 PM
No probs - will do. I also have 3 DVDs of 90s pinball promos too - if you like - hours and hours of pinball pleasure viewing.

Awesome you the man Judge,Ive watched a few of the promos from Youtube and Ive really enjoyed them.:cool:

Mickey Juice
20th August 2007, 01:16 PM
I always kept thinking of Python Anghelo while watching this DVD... Mainly for the stuff he said in the TOPcast interview :lol

http://www.marvin3m.com/topcast/past.php

Not Matt
20th August 2007, 02:14 PM

Me next!

Feel dodgy, but then I can't watch import DVD's... need to be copy versions :confused:

@lien_Zed
20th August 2007, 06:55 PM
Me next!

Feel dodgy, but then I can't watch import DVD's... need to be copy versions :confused:

i can help out.i can take a NTSC dvd and convert it to multiregion so its viewable anywhere.
would love to see the doco myself

jumpydoctor
21st August 2007, 04:47 PM
I have it here Dez

boxingkoala
21st August 2007, 05:04 PM
Does anyone here know how to convert this dvd to an *.avi file???

If so, I would love to grab a copy. If not, does anyone know where I can grab a copy around Brisbane.

cheers

@lien_Zed
21st August 2007, 08:31 PM
I have it here Dez

cool now all i got to do is get time to drop round.

i still aint found time to drop by and check out your shed and the renovations you have done:cry

acejas
31st December 2007, 07:51 AM
Anyone watched this DVD?

http://www.tilt-movie.com/dvd.html

If so, any good?

pinnies4me
31st December 2007, 07:59 AM
If you love pinball, anything is good! But this is actually very good, pinball or not. Great production values, good interviews. It is sad as well, watching the inevitable unfold. Well worth it. I think Bumper has some stock.

GORGAR 1
31st December 2007, 08:31 AM
Very good dvd, I ordered the 2 disc set which has some extra's on it and I highly recommemed it.

Peter..

Fair Dinkum Dan
31st December 2007, 11:18 AM
Jasen, I merged your thread into the original thread on this topic. You can go back and have a read on other members opinions on it here.

Remember......., SEARCH is your friend. :D

Cheers,

acejas
31st December 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks mate...apologies...was one of those moments

harryhoudini
31st December 2007, 04:45 PM
Watch some of the links in the thread as the site has a virus AVG picked it up for me
rgds
Harry

necroscope
8th June 2010, 12:13 PM
just watched this last night not a bad doco,being a newb i found it very interesting and looking forward to special when lit:cool:

bennyfactor
8th June 2010, 01:46 PM
the easiest way to make an avi of the dvd is to use handbrake
it's free and cross platform