PDA

View Full Version : Which Street Fighter?

Foot
5th August 2006, 03:51 PM
Could have stuck this in the MAME section is suppose but anyway,

One for all you SF experts

Started playing Street Fighter this afternoon with my young fella and we'd like to know,

Which version of Street Fighter is the best for us learners?:unsure

Foot

LOTR4U
5th August 2006, 04:00 PM
Mate,

My opinion would be work your way from say World Warrior, then Champion Edition, Hyper Edition then New Challengers Edition.

That is probably chronoligical order I guess. :unsure

t1ckt0ck
5th August 2006, 04:00 PM
Street Fighter II - The New Challengers or Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
seem like good choices. Try to avoid SF EXs, SF II: Turbo and SF Alphas.
Well I guess each to his own. (or her own)

/EDIT
wrx2hot4u beat me.

Virgil Tracy
5th August 2006, 04:17 PM
Waits patiently for elvis to appear with his soapbox:D

The Pinny Parlour
5th August 2006, 05:02 PM

Started playing Street Fighter this afternoon with my young fella and we'd like to know,

Foot
Who cares there all boring as bat shit. :p Much rather watch someone else play it then actually play it.

bwodie
5th August 2006, 05:14 PM
street fighter 2 new challangers would be great to learn on
then you definatly need to move onto a turbo version :)

Foot
5th August 2006, 10:41 PM
So we're playing the orignal SF at the moment and the little bugger has got through to thailand without a continue, seems he just mashes the keys and arses his way through, or is that just my jealous arse getting kicked?

So it looks like World Warriors or New Challangers will be next.

Anyone got a list of how to do all the moves?

Looks like the MAME project just got upgraded to 6 buttons per player!

Foot

WOKA
5th August 2006, 10:58 PM
So we're playing the orignal SF at the moment and the little bugger has got through to thailand without a continue,...

What do you expect..? Ole little SF has to have some love too..!

sneek
5th August 2006, 11:17 PM
The only way to teach someone street fighter is to play champion or hyper.

They are the most pure SF2 there is... you can learn and perfect the basics then move onto some of the more expert SF2's.

But without the foundations you will always remain a masher... trust me as i have 2 friends learning SF2 atm.

Oh and stay the hell away from anything with the word "VS" in it ;)

Shock_And_Awe
5th August 2006, 11:36 PM
hey Foot, look trust me here....just go straight to Double Dragon, Final Fight and Dragon Ninja - now these are fighters worth playing!!

Lachlan
6th August 2006, 12:02 AM
The Street Fighter Zero series is quite fun and easy to pull off moves.
Sneek, what's wrong with Capcom's VS. line of games? they're pretty fun!

sneek
6th August 2006, 12:30 AM
The Street Fighter Zero series is quite fun and easy to pull off moves.
Sneek, what's wrong with Capcom's VS. line of games? they're pretty fun!
My favourite of all time... since i was a kid is, Zero2Alpha :D

About the VS... they are fun but the question here was which is the best for learners. The VS line very bad for teaching the basics and you will learn bad habits.

If they are mashing now... they will never stop if you play VS, cause the series rewards mashers with such a crazy engine.

uprising
6th August 2006, 01:03 AM
MARVEL vS cAPCOM :evil

iVE ONLY Just Discovered it and wow Excellent gAME

Street FIGhteR times fIve

garuda
6th August 2006, 08:08 AM
Street Fighter 2 World Warrior. The original is the best for you to learn on. You can then get other versions and play at faster speeds and use different move types.

Arcade King
6th August 2006, 09:53 AM
I hate SSF2 Turbo Regret ever buying it and selling my New Challengers.

miikeboyle
6th August 2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah i agree with the VS games too easy to go well by mashing
Id prob start off with champion edition as its very similar to original, except the extra players.

My favourite at the moment is definately the Champion edition rainbow sets
reminds me of the days in the arcade with guile filling the screen with slow chasing sonic booms

Mike

staceyamusements
6th August 2006, 10:27 AM
I personally reckon that new challengers is the best.

elvis
6th August 2006, 06:05 PM
Waits patiently for elvis to appear with his soapbox:D
Soabox installed... check. Microphone on... check. Testing testing *tap* *tap*. *Clears throat* Ahem...

About the VS... they are fun but the question here was which is the best for learners. The VS line very bad for teaching the basics and you will learn bad habits.

If they are mashing now... they will never stop if you play VS, cause the series rewards mashers with such a crazy engine.
First point: agreed. VS games are no good for learning the basics. You need to learn on a real fighter first, and migrate over to VS later or you will learn very bad habits. I would say the same about Street Fighter Alpha 3 - it is radically different (IMHO better than, but some would disagree) to the other "Alpha" games. A1 or A2 are better for beginners, at they teach the fundemental basics far better.

Second point: disagreed. I don't care what the game, I've never had a masher beat me. Technique wins over mash every time. Yes, mashers can win a few games here and there against fellow mashers or new players, but get someone who even has the slightest clue and mashers will lose lose lose.

I hate SSF2 Turbo Regret ever buying it and selling my New Challengers.
SSF2 Turbo is a weird one. The 1P vs CPU game SUCKS. The CPU has impossible reflexes (it will counter EVERY move you have with a perfect and unblockable attack with microsecond perfect timing), and can do moves you can't (ie: CPU Guile can do a regular standing flash kick, which is impossible for a human as it is a charge move).

SSF2 Turbo is a GREAT game for human vs human. It's considered to be one of the better "retro" SF2 games out there for tournament play.

Regular Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (non turbo) is infinitely more fun in 1P mode vs the CPU, and a good starting point for any learner. There are plenty of SSF2 CPS2 units on eBay selling for reasonable prices.

As a fallback, I would go with SF2:CE ("Champion Edition"). Turbo (Also known as "Hyper Fighting") is better IMHO, but it is very fast, and can be offputting for new players. CE is quite slow, has a good range of fair-ish characters (there are known ticks and unfair moves, but part of playing SF2 is discovering these and (ab)using them).

World Warrior is OK, but there's no character vs same character, and you are limited to only 8 characters, 2 of which are really shit, and 1 of which is grossly overbalanced. CE tweaked alot of the play to make it fairer for VS, and as such I recommend it as a better starting point for beginners along with Super SF2.

Virgil Tracy
6th August 2006, 06:12 PM
Soabox installed... check. Microphone on... check. Testing testing *tap* *tap*. *Clears throat* Ahem...

:046: :046: :046:

You made my day

sneek
6th August 2006, 06:26 PM
Second point: disagreed. I don't care what the game, I've never had a masher beat me. Technique wins over mash every time. Yes, mashers can win a few games here and there against fellow mashers or new players, but get someone who even has the slightest clue and mashers will lose lose lose.

Heh... here comes Dan.... :D

I never said they will win... i said they get rewarded for mashing.

Moves are easier... supers are easy, they see characters come in from no where and do random crap.

Its the reward of seeing stuff happen and the eye candy that appeals to the masher. Where as if they did that in champ ed... then they would just be jumping around like an idiot and lose in seconds, compared to in vs. they will last a long time even with mashing.

NMD
6th August 2006, 06:36 PM
Hehe if i take on a masher in a VS game it doesnt last long at all.. they dont get a chance to land a hit and because they dont block and its all over red rover, FAST.

elvis
6th August 2006, 07:01 PM
:046: :046: :046:

You made my day
You *KNEW* it was coming. A thread with (1) A difference of opinion and (2) in reference to Street Fighter!!! The only reason it took me so long was because I was out cleaning the yard all weekend. :)

Heh... here comes Dan.... :D

I never said they will win... i said they get rewarded for mashing.

Moves are easier... supers are easy, they see characters come in from no where and do random crap.

Its the reward of seeing stuff happen and the eye candy that appeals to the masher. Where as if they did that in champ ed... then they would just be jumping around like an idiot and lose in seconds, compared to in vs. they will last a long time even with mashing.
Yeah I get your point. I must admit, watching masher vs masher games in the VS series always looks like they know more than they actually do than watching the same mashers in a real fighting game. But with that said, I've gotten perfects plenty of times on mashers, or at least only single-charactered them with a few blocked supers that killed my perfect.

"Random crap" doesn't work so well. Anyone who's played the games long enough will see particular moves coming a mile off, no matter how random they get. I must admit games like Marvel vs Capcom reward mashers even more with their "easy mode" option, as double-tapping a heavy punch/kick gives you an automatic 1-2 hit-special combo, and mashing triple-punch/kick gives you a super. But you know from the get go that anyone choosing auto/easy mode will never learn the game properly, and be wiped out in seconds anyway. Particularly folks who still don't understand the concept of blocking - they can be set up easily for infinites or chains into supers without even trying.

I really don't mind playing VS games against people who know the games well. They can be very entertaining. Definitely lightyears away from the technical depth of HF or 3S, but still it's good for a laugh. We regularly hold mini XMvSF round robins at the shop, and they're good for a laugh. There's only really two who can actually play the game for real though (and no prizes awarded for guessing which two).

One observation to back up your point however, sneek, is that playing mashers with a few weeks/months gameplay under their belt in a VS title and then in a standard title (A3 and HF are two we play semi-regularly also), it's amazing how quickly they get wiped out in the non VS games. One fella I was playing the other week told me he didn't like HF because "the rounds finish too quickly". That made me laugh out loud. :lol

sneek
6th August 2006, 08:23 PM
Gotta love SF threads... :D

Im not going to claim im any type of expert at VS series... cause i hate em with a passion ;) But your prolly right about the expert vs the masher matchup.

I love watching a masher though (not on my cabinets though ;)) its funny to see they always have a, what i call, mashing pattern. Some type of movement which seems to do something useful in the eyes of a masher. As soon as that stops working they do something else till another pattern seems to be working.

BTW... did you end up doing the hyper tourney ? something i think would be fun in Sydney too ;)

elvis
6th August 2006, 08:32 PM
I love watching a masher though (not on my cabinets though ;)) its funny to see they always have a, what i call, mashing pattern. Some type of movement which seems to do something useful in the eyes of a masher. As soon as that stops working they do something else till another pattern seems to be working.
Hahaha heck yeah. Or worse, the mashers who use one pattern over and over, swear at you, and call you a scrub or a cheater when you "break their secret code". :)

BTW... did you end up doing the hyper tourney ? something i think would be fun in Sydney too ;)
I'm still in the process of funding/building that. A few financial issues came up for me lately so I've been pushed back in my timeframe for getting that running. Once I do however there'll be a public invite here and on OzHadou. I'd like to hold a private casuals session once a month, with a particular game each time. HF will be first off the block, and then I'll mix up old and new (say, 3S the next week, ST the week after, and so on).

For me in particular I'm ITCHING to get some good human vs human practice in. I've well and truly exhausted the regular competition around me, so hopefully if I can entice enough good players into one location, I can get fed some humble pie and learn some new tricks. After seeing some of the OHN footage, I know there are some great players in this town, and I'd love to get them all infront of one cab once a month.

The Pinny Parlour
6th August 2006, 08:44 PM

For me in particular I'm ITCHING to get some good human vs human practice in. I've well and truly exhausted the regular competition around me, so hopefully if I can entice enough good players into one location, I can get fed some humble pie and learn some new tricks. After seeing some of the OHN footage, I know there are some great players in this town, and I'd love to get them all infront of one cab once a month.
I want to see this..... Camera mounted please :cool:

elvis
6th August 2006, 09:16 PM
I want to see this..... Camera mounted please :cool:
I'm planning on filming the meets on our little DV handicam and youtubing the individual matches.

Foot
6th August 2006, 09:25 PM
So, if we're playing SSFII or CE and don't want to end up being mashers of the worst kind, is there a move list so we can work what causes each move or series of moves.

The young bloke is already getting his favourite mashing patterns, and yes he changes to another one when that doesn't work (i.e. I kick his butt!)

Foot

spot
6th August 2006, 09:35 PM
as elvis and sneek have said so far - i'd stick with either:

SF2 Hyper Fighting - its as good as 'old' SF gets. great to get a feel for the game and learn the basics.
if someone says its to fast then there is little hope for them in the Fighting Games world.

Super SF2 Turbo - this is the cream of SF2 - and the first SF game with supers.
very technical and doesn't really help the newcomers.
as fights are normally very lop sided or decided with that last hit.

SF3 Third Strike - have only recently started to play this serious.
awesome looking (helps bring GFX whores into fighting games) and very very technical. only prob is the top tier characters get lots of play.
ie: it takes less practice with ken to be tourn worthy than ryu for eg.
(but all that can be changed with hard training :P)

elvis
7th August 2006, 08:07 AM
So, if we're playing SSFII or CE and don't want to end up being mashers of the worst kind, is there a move list so we can work what causes each move or series of moves.
Wikibooks to the rescue!

Moves list for all capcom games:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fighting_Game_Moves/Capcom

Make sure you look at the moves list for the right game! Move sequences do change for some characters game to game.

For general strategy, Shoryuken.com is the best resource. They have a wiki up with more detailed strategies and systems:
http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/
(NOTE - Shoryuken.com are currently upgrading their site, so it might be down for a day or so).
9:26am and they're back up and running again

And GameFAQs will help too:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=street+fighter&platform=All+Platforms

Berty
7th August 2006, 09:51 AM

Foot

Streetfighter 2010 has to be the best in the series.

Foot
7th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks Elvis, since I'm at work I think I'll start hitting the print button:)

Foot

TSC
7th August 2006, 10:10 AM
Best 3 SF titles, my 2 cents...

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - This tones down the lack of balance from CE, ie: over powered Bison and Guile. Plus it introduces some new moves with certain characters and is overall slightly faster than CE which adds to the beauty of this game. Definetly the best of the "old school" CPS1 SF titles. For those of you who have an Xbox 360, u should download this... I did and there are plenty of Australians playing online at the moment.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - This has currently (once again) become my favourite game after spending the past year mainly just playing 3rd Strike. (I think my poor result at OHN5 has made me want to play this more again) Basically this game is a classic, the introduction of "supers" and "juggles" makes this game the perfect blend of old and modern SF. This is the game that is STILL played competitively in Japan and around the world out of all the SF2 series. In fact, when I was in Japan a few months ago they had a tournament for this game with over 170 entrants in Tokyo... and thats not even the biggest ST tournament in Japan. That title goes to the yearly Xmania event. They also had 10 ST machines set up running on NEW VS City cabinets at Club Sega in Shinjuku for this event. :)

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - Alot of the older guys will not like this game, the concept of "parrying" and pressing two buttons to throw will likely turn them of this game quite quickly. However, all I will say is give it a chance as this game is just as good as Super Street Fighter II Turbo - if not better. It is by far the most popular SF title of the modern era and there is a large tournament scene for this game both here and abroad. Not to mention, the gameplay is second to none once you get to know it and it doesn't hurt that the game looks lovely graphic wise.

I guess, it just takes practice to get used to something like 3rd Strike as it is unlike any other SF title gameplay wise. The main complaint I get from old school SF2 players in this game is the whole idea of "parrying", once you get your head around that this game can be fun. Also remember that parrying is not the do all and be all of this game, you dont need to be the worlds best at parrying to be good at this game.

elvis
7th August 2006, 11:46 AM
I 100% agree with you, TSC. But I wonder if they are good for absolute beginners? All of them are very technical and quite difficult. Not to mention the speed of the two "turbo" games being a bit of a kicking for newbies.

But still... nothing like a baptism of fire, I guess. :)

Streetfighter 2010 has to be the best in the series.
:lol For those that don't know this game:

http://www.flyingomelette.com/reviews/nes/sf2010.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_2010

Talk about a bizzare use of some trademark names! "Street Fighter", "Final Fight" and "Ken Masters" all in one game that has nothing to do with any of the previous titles. Weird!

DKong
8th August 2006, 11:10 PM
When I played my first game of Street Fighter II
I didn't know whether to be Ryu or Ken too
I played through the characters trying to find me
I even selected the enemy and became Chung -Li
Blanka came in an electric ball
Dhalsim arms knocked them to the wall
Got that pansy Vega jumpy in his cage
Maybe Balrog to vent some rage
Now what's this Zangeif looks Russian to me
If only I could be Bison special moves for me!

This was off the top of my dome!

SF is the game! Start at the begining and play them all!

NMD
9th August 2006, 12:11 AM
hahahh great effort DKong ! :cool: