PDA

View Full Version : MGL - T8 Game 1: Gyruss

Amy
2nd March 2009, 06:33 PM
Game 1: Gyruss

Nominated by Stubaloo

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242121322.png

Amy holds current high score of 644,150

The purpose of this game is to fly through the solar system and reach Earth. The other planets that have you travel to before Earth are Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. It only takes two warps to arrive at Neptune, but all others including Earth take three warps to get to. Each time you reach a planet, there is a Challenge Stage where you try to destroy as many enemies as possible. After reaching Earth, there is a Challenge Stage followed by a very fast "three warps to Neptune" stage. After this, the levels and the background music start over.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8745)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 8 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 25 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Thursday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 9th OF March BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
Amz

spacies
2nd March 2009, 07:04 PM
And we are racing in the cup!

Foot
2nd March 2009, 07:34 PM
MMM better tune up the MCA stick and button and fire up the memory on the challange stages. :D

horseyboy69
2nd March 2009, 10:23 PM
Awesome. Finally a game I can play. Although Amy's score is a tad huge for me. Time to get to earth!!!!

spacies
3rd March 2009, 01:58 PM
Man, I need some practice!

MonoJoker
3rd March 2009, 05:32 PM
Geeeeez way to crush my spirits first game in Amy, that score is huge!

Will play a few games tonight and see if I can even crack 6 figures :o

Cheers
LT.

Edit: 178,900 is it even worth posting? I really need to learn those later challenging stages :)

DKong
4th March 2009, 09:07 PM
Wow forgot what a great score AMY achieved last time round, and considering she is not a big shmup fan :). Kudos to you, you must tell us your tips once the round is finsihed;)
Got to spend a few hours with my cab tonight and a few bourbons and coke , it got better, but then went to shit :lol around the fifth can althought I was cracking 100,000 with out losing a man after the third.
Then the running constantly back upstairs to help the old man "yelling wolf :rolleyes" but you don't wan't to hear about that :lol

Great game and had me very addicted tonight , I remember the last time it came up in MGL I was just so happy to reach earth for the first time :o

Mission for me is to beat my best score of 219,000

Edit :updated score mission accomplished on best score now to beat Foot and Spacies:)

AdamC
4th March 2009, 09:10 PM
I can see some pretty high scores being posted on this one !

DKong
4th March 2009, 10:03 PM
I can see some pretty high scores being posted on this one !

No one has posted a legitimate score yet except mine :unsure

Remember the rules game players or are you just holding ATM:badgrin

AdamC
4th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Damm .. its wednesday already , i think u just got the midweek bonus !!! :cry

DKong
4th March 2009, 10:08 PM
Damm .. its wednesday already , i think u just got the midweek bonus !!! :cry

Mate it's thursday now :D 12.00pm

AdamC
4th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Mate it's thursday now :D 12.00pm

Ahhhh , yeah . :b

I should read the fine print more often.

Foot
4th March 2009, 10:28 PM
No one has posted a legitimate score yet except mine :unsure

Remember the rules game players or are you just holding ATM:badgrin

Patience Grasshopper.......

DKong
4th March 2009, 10:34 PM
Patience Grasshopper.......

You are playing to much poker :cool:
I'm ready for a big game tomorrow when I can coordinate again:lol
Not sue what I'm saying ATM FOOT, LOL doesn't make make sense Poker WTf lol

spacies
5th March 2009, 11:23 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2001/10876724/21662036/357012230.jpg

I forgot about Level 20 when they come speeding out! ****ers got me!

I made up a controller last night which made a massive difference. I was playing with a very poor chinese stick and crap buttons with Yenox switches and was averaging around 180-200k.

Now running LS-32s (rounded inserts :D) and Sanwa OB 30s and first game today...BOOYYAAAA!!

spaceballs
5th March 2009, 11:28 AM
love playing this again but i think i need a shite load more work on getting my scores respectible before i post em :cry

was never into this game that much..think i spent to much of my time, and money, on wonder boy :p

nice score spacies

spacies
5th March 2009, 11:36 AM
I swear I was much better than this when I was a kid :lol

I read through the last time this game came up and the guys blowing their trumpets didn't post a score! Just like the old 'I had it right there but it got off the hook' and 'you should have seen it, I swear it was THIS big' story.

Foot
5th March 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, I had 2 or 3 games and came up with this.

Score: 546,150

I have the day off tomorrow, we'll see if I can improve on it :D

wingtipvortex
5th March 2009, 11:13 PM
:o Nice scores lads! Theres gotta be some tips to this kind of scoring? :)

Foot
5th March 2009, 11:18 PM
:o Nice scores lads! Theres gotta be some tips to this kind of scoring? :)

Tip A: Try not to die
Tip B: Use the force Luke
Tip C: Um, no that's it really

wingtipvortex
5th March 2009, 11:26 PM
Tip A: Try not to die
Tip B: Use the force Luke
Tip C: Um, no that's it really
:lol I cant even make it to Earth!! I think im in trouble.:(

Amy
6th March 2009, 07:38 AM
Foot = Midweek

spacies
6th March 2009, 05:23 PM
Nice score Foot. You must have a good remember for the chance stages.
You got 1 level higher than me and you have 100k more!!!

Just had another game and got 500k but Level 51.

Foot
6th March 2009, 05:49 PM
It's not just the chance stages, but how you play each level. You need to work out how to get the most from each attack and the three bonus thingy's

DKong
6th March 2009, 06:26 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2001/10876724/21662036/357012230.jpg

I forgot about Level 20 when they come speeding out! ****ers got me!

I made up a controller last night which made a massive difference. I was playing with a very poor chinese stick and crap buttons with Yenox switches and was averaging around 180-200k.

Now running LS-32s (rounded inserts :D) and Sanwa OB 30s and first game today...BOOYYAAAA!!

I have decided MCA's are not responsive enough and changed to a Zippy I had sitting around, instantly improved my game, may have to order some Sanwa's now. What are the buttons you are using Spacies. Changing Joystick added a good 50,000 and found it more responsive.

It's not just the chance stages, but how you play each level. You need to work out how to get the most from each attack and the three bonus thingy's

I found that with getting all the enemies as they come out gives a nice bonus.

Edit :updated score mission accomplished on my best score now to beat Foot and Spacies:)

wingtipvortex
6th March 2009, 07:03 PM
Im almost halfway there:lol

Foot
6th March 2009, 07:05 PM
Mate I'm just using MCA gear.... If I change will I get another 50K :D

DKong
6th March 2009, 07:08 PM
Im almost halfway there:lol

You made Earth mate ?? By that score I think you did. Now you and I just have to get through another round of planets.:)

Mate I'm just using MCA gear.... If I change will I get another 50K :D

I don't know if these MCA sticks are just worn or what but the responsiveness is not the same, so many times I was like I pushed left or right WTF new stick and no problem.
Change your sticks I dare you :badgrin

Also improved my Bombjack score by 500,000 so I'm Sticking with the sticks

wingtipvortex
6th March 2009, 07:52 PM
You made Earth mate ?? By that score I think you did. Now you and I just have to get through another round of planets.:)

I don't know if these MCA sticks are just worn or what but the responsiveness is not the same, so many times I was like I pushed left or right WTF new stick and no problem.
Change your sticks I dare you :badgrin

Also improved my Bombjack score by 500,000 so I'm Sticking with the sticks
Nah, i havnt made Earth yet:o I was on the last warp and had 2 aliens to go, no dice:cry

tnpshow
8th March 2009, 10:26 PM
Thought I'd give it a whirl. Probably my favourite game of all but I haven't touched it in months. 202,600 first shot and made it to the wave after Mars.

Better than I've ever done :)

All the games I'd played after that one sucked :laugh:

MonoJoker
8th March 2009, 10:37 PM
Bloody hell I haven't even posted a score - I thought I'd do better than 178k last week so I didn't capture it LOL.

When does Gyruss close?

wingtipvortex
8th March 2009, 10:59 PM
Bloody hell I haven't even posted a score - I thought I'd do better than 178k last week so I didn't capture it LOL.

When does Gyruss close?

"Your scores need to be in by next Monday 9th OF March BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time)".

DKong
9th March 2009, 04:04 PM
Score update 431,100, going to try and have another game before 8.00pm:D

wingtipvortex
9th March 2009, 06:44 PM
Just cant get through that last warp to earth:x I can get there without losing a life, then its a real steep downhill slide from there.

wingtipvortex
9th March 2009, 07:34 PM
Well, got past my mental Earth block finally:D

spaceballs
9th March 2009, 07:48 PM
:lol very embarassed, only posting cause i want to take part in this and its a great idea. thanx AMY...and yes im not missing a zero :lol

MonoJoker
9th March 2009, 07:55 PM
Meh I hate this game :)

DKong
9th March 2009, 07:58 PM
Well, got past my mental Earth block finally:D

Yeah mate that earth stage is the killer, I found you just have to keep moving especially using the top of the screen on the Earth Warps.
Nice score, you would have to beat me :laugh:
Did you make it to Earth the second time? I didn't on my 400,000+ score but was racing the clock as I had dinner on was swinging around looking at the clock . I think 500,000 is very doable once you get over Earth Block.

wingtipvortex
9th March 2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah mate that earth stage is the killer, I found you just have to keep moving especially using the top of the screen on the Earth Warps.
Nice score, you would have to beat me :laugh:
Did you make it to Earth the second time? I didn't on my 400,000+ score but was racing the clock as I had dinner on was swinging around looking at the clock . I think 500,000 is very doable once you get over Earth Block.
:lol Mate, i almost gave up, then thought, ive got half hour so i gave it one more shot. I was on my second Mars warp with that score, and started to think about what was coming up:( LOST IT!!!!

I reckon 3 Earth trips and a 700+ score would be possible.

DKong
9th March 2009, 08:06 PM
:lol very embarassed, only posting cause i want to take part in this and its a great idea. thanx AMY...and yes im not missing a zero :lol

Yeah half the fun is playing and pushing yourself for a better score, nothing like a bit of comp.
I doubled my best ever Gyruss score so got to be happy with that.

Amy
9th March 2009, 08:22 PM
MGL - T8
Game 1 Results

Game 1 is officially over

Congratulations to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 1: Gyruss

Amy continues to hold high score of 644,150 for this game

1. Foot 546,150
125 points (100 score 25 midweek)

2. wingtipvortex 483,450
89 points

3. DKong 431,000
79 points

4. Spacies 428,400
78 points

5. tnpshow 202,600
37 points

6. Monojoker 198,250
36 points

7. xxjardinexx 84,700
16 points

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=205364#post205364) has been updated

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated

DKong
9th March 2009, 08:28 PM
Well done Foot , awesome score pushed us to new limits:038:

wingtipvortex
9th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Well done Foot , awesome score pushed us to new limits:038:
+1 I didnt think these scores were achivable, well done Foot, and well done all!!

DKong
9th March 2009, 08:38 PM
+1 I didnt think these scores were achivable, well done Foot, and well done all!!

You know I think that is the best part of the MGL sticking to a game for a week playing the best AA has to offer and beating each others scores. Just like in the Arcade. A lot of the games, just playing MAME randomly , I would give up if I found it to difficult and move on. This way you stick to it and try to beat the damn thing.

Glad its back :D

Foot
9th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys, and Amy (for not posting a score) :D

Call me a sicko but I'm going to have a few more games this week, Still reckon If I can just sneak past earth again then I can add a heap more

DKong
9th March 2009, 08:59 PM

Call me a sicko but I'm going to have a few more games this week, Still reckon If I can just sneak past earth again then I can add a heap more

You sick man :laugh: I know what you mean you get a foot in (excuse the pun) past a certain stage and can just keep going. I need to play it more as well especially getting the enemy bonus's as they came out in formation in the normal warp stages.
Also don't have all the challenge screens down pat yet, lots of improvement can be made.

Amy
9th March 2009, 09:02 PM

Ha ha I got that score back in my keyboard days...have no idea how, can't stand the game.
If you beat my score make sure you post your screenshot so I can change the highscore board. :)

spacies
10th March 2009, 07:11 AM
Thats a fairly healthy line up for round 1.
Congrats to Foot. I couldn't play anymore because it was driving me nuts.
I am in the same boat as DK, I reckon if I tried a bit harder on the chance stages and shooting them as they appeared I could have done better.

Rock on!

MonoJoker
10th March 2009, 11:27 AM
Thats a fairly healthy line up for round 1.
Congrats to Foot. I couldn't play anymore because it was driving me nuts.
I am in the same boat as DK, I reckon if I tried a bit harder on the chance stages and shooting them as they appeared I could have done better.

Rock on!

I must be the only one who thinks I was lucky even to get the score I got and didn't see any real constant improvement - too much dying for silly reasons :lol

Although I'm guessing (cos I never made it even once) that it's a bit like Time Pilot - when you pass Earth stage and get back to the beginning stages it's a bit easier?

Onwards to Donkey Kong and the challenge to see if I can get over 100K :laugh:

Cheers
LT.