PDA

View Full Version : Centaur 2

humpalot
1st March 2009, 08:26 AM
Centaur for me was a wanted pin and when a project one came up from silverball I jumped at it :023:

This started out as a total restro, but after having this pin for 4 months and working solid on it for 2-3mths I've decided to put it back together and just enjoy the machine for the time being. Basically to finish the restro I just need to do the door and strip and clean the inside of the cabinet.

The first thing that I did was to get the game running. MPU was a baby pacman and had to be converted and every board required major repairs.

Once the game was sort of running I stripped and cleaned the playfield, this thing had a heavy coating of tar from it's life in a smokers club. I know imports are like this but this was that bad I thought about putting Nicabate patches on it to help relieve the stress :D The worst area's of the playfield was worn to bare wood between the flipper and the ball trap area near the flipper, these area's had been painted with black enamel with a paint brush to cover up wear. Once I removed the touch up paint I filled the area with spot putty, touched up and then clear coated the whole playfield.

Time to start putting the playfield back together. All moving parts were stripped from under the playfield cleaned and re built. A number of coils were wrong and were replaced, broken lamp sockets everywhere those plastic wedge push in type sockets are crap. Magnet coil had the wires cut and I thought shit how am I'm going to get another? But thankfully the coil tested OK and works :D Under playfield wiring was very time consuming with a number of cut wires and other wires just hanging by a thread, I'd guess that I re soldered about 90% of the under playfield wiring.

Machine has new playfield plastics, new drop targets, new bumper skirts (red), new bumper body's and caps, new lane lane guides, flippers have been converted to the older bally style (like KISS), all board connectors were also replaced to the better crimp style. A repro Say It Again board was installed as this was missing in the machine.

Put the machine all back together and have sound problems, spent hours trying to troubleshoot a problem that really wasn't there http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=21466

Machine is now fully working, it's a great looking pin/theme, plays fast and sounds are great. A keeper :D

Pop Bumper Pete
1st March 2009, 08:31 AM
Looks great
I am sure you will spend many hours playing this baby

good job

silverball
1st March 2009, 10:02 AM
Glad to see the Centaur end up in capable hands. We didnt have the time back then to do a fraction of the work that you have done to it today.
We have another 4 centaurs in our possession that need restoring, doubt if we will sell them as projects this time and if we did ,doubt that we will sell them for under $700.

Thanks for the pics,keep them coming with progress,its looking great.

Fish Tales
1st March 2009, 10:40 AM
Looks great, now I want one! Any pics of the whole machine?
:)

pinnies4me
1st March 2009, 10:52 AM
Good stuff! I so wanted that game, glad it's in good hands.

humpalot
1st March 2009, 11:16 AM
Looks great, now I want one! Any pics of the whole machine?
:)

Just need to push the machine out to take pics of the cabinet, it's in the line up :D

Ford Fairlane
1st March 2009, 11:23 AM
wow love that playfield. Nice one!

Pop Bumper Pete
1st March 2009, 11:36 AM
As i am about to start a resto project, a question;

Why change the flipper mechs?
are the factory ones unreliable?

humpalot
1st March 2009, 11:44 AM

It's a very simple changeover and they work much better :D

Skybeaux
1st March 2009, 11:46 AM
Playfield looks 100% better than the before pics

Excellent job....looks great:D

Ballywannabe
1st March 2009, 09:01 PM

Bally linear flippers SUCK:x Not sure what they were thinking when they came up with them - spongy feel and difficult to maintain. Saying that, I still have the linear mechs in my Centaur:redface

Great job there Humpalot, getting a classic Bally back to its former glory!

cheers
Ian

ace
1st March 2009, 11:31 PM
Great work Humpalot! looks like new, good to see another old bally brought back to life again!:lol

ace.