PDA

View Full Version : What to use for Mame cocktail - 21" arcade or computer monitor?

xygt
3rd August 2006, 09:01 AM
Hi,

Just looking for thoughts on which way to go. I have the option to use a 21 computer monitor or a 21 arcade monitor.

The computer monitor will connect straight to the PC with no video card issues or the need for a ArcadeVGA card.

An arcade monitor is authentic and gives that arcade look to the game, but requires more work and hardware.

Opinions please? Thanks heaps.

Regards,
Xygt

Crafty
3rd August 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Just looking for thoughts on which way to go. I have the option to use a 21” computer monitor or a 21” arcade monitor.

The computer monitor will connect straight to the PC with no video card issues or the need for a ArcadeVGA card.

An arcade monitor is authentic and gives that arcade look to the game, but requires more work and hardware.

Opinions please? Thanks heaps.

Regards,
Xygt
This is chicken / egg stuff..

Personal preferance is the go...
If I was you I would build 2 cabinets and use both screens...

Alternatively I'm in Adelaide also so whichever one you don't use I'm happy to tidy up for you/get it out of your way..

Virgil Tracy
3rd August 2006, 09:48 AM
PC monitor is easier to work with, that is what I am using

RetroGame
3rd August 2006, 09:50 AM
Use the PC monitor for the MAME machine, it will save you a lot of time and money. Use the Arcade monitor for an original game.

Davefjedi
3rd August 2006, 09:56 AM
Pc monitor easy and cheap its what i did in my 20"coctail

@lien_Zed
3rd August 2006, 09:39 PM
there is plenty of for and against.
my cabinet came with a 20 inch arcade monitor and im looking forward to my arcade vga card turning up and running it.

looking forward to seeing the raster lines and getting a little bit closer to the original thing...

each to their own

wilddazz
16th August 2006, 11:58 AM
Just be carefull with a monitor that big as i made a cocktail true to original dimensions and only just made a 14in monitor squeeze in!!!21s are real big in the plastic department!!