PDA

View Full Version : Wii Mod Chip Recommendations and other questions

Arcade King
23rd February 2009, 10:25 PM
Got our Wii today :D

Just wanted to ask what chip peeps have in their Wii's
I got that case mod off Pommie Paul for the Gamecube and bought some extra controllers for it on the weekend but I think it will be easier just to use the Wii for both GC games as well.

I want something that will let us still play online games and I'd like to be able to multi boot GC games on the Wii.
Gcos works well with the Qoob mod chip on the Gamecube for multi booting games and emulator stuff so something similar for the Wii would be great. The idea of putting 3 or 4 cubes games on one full sized DVD would be sweet. I spent all weekend ripping my original GC disks with Gcos 1.x and the broadband adapter to ISO's for this purpose.

What sort of Media are you blokes using? I've had no luck finding full sized media that works well on my Gamecube yet but I've read Verbatim is the ticket? I usually go with TDK.

I'm really keen to try some emulators on the Wii, I was playing around with some GC ones on the weekend and they were spot on.

Linky in anybody is interested, they have GC and wii versions of each emu.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

questions questions questions :D

dmworking247
23rd February 2009, 10:36 PM
AK, if you're going to put GC games on your modded Wii, do you still need the GameCube case? I'm still after one if you no longer need it.

Arcade King
23rd February 2009, 10:38 PM
nah i wont need it mate, just give me a few weeks to get me Wii modded and its yours.

dmworking247
23rd February 2009, 10:39 PM
Sweet! Thanks mate. No rush, just wanted to source one :)

Burra749
23rd February 2009, 10:48 PM
Bring the GC ISOs on Sunday.:D

DevoDave
23rd February 2009, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to ask what chip peeps have in their Wii's

Wiikey 2's are pretty easy to install and are what I install at the moment.

DKong
23rd February 2009, 11:25 PM
I have the original Wiikey, and hadn't had a problem. The Wiikey 2 would be better I presume (or is it for the later model Wii's:unsure)
I haven't checked out any of the other chips but will vouch for the Wiikey.

cwispy
23rd February 2009, 11:38 PM
The WiiKey 2 or D2Pro would be a good choice unless it ends up being a d2nothing/D3 drive, then you will need a different type of chip which are only just hitting the market now. There are two that im aware of being the Drivekey and the Wasabi DX. Both are due to be released very soon. The other issue will be that the drive is going to have epoxy if its a d2e and some of the epoxy will need to be removed at the very least to get to some of the solder points. The other advantage of the WiiKey 2 and D2Pro is the firmware region protection which prevents you from accidentally updating your console with the wrong firmware and turning it into an expensive paper weight.

Arcade King
23rd February 2009, 11:41 PM
So what happenes if its already got the latest firmware on it? = screwed?

cwispy
23rd February 2009, 11:51 PM
Nah the firmware on the wii is fine. The firmware protection on the modchips just protects a PAL wii from being updated with NTSC firmware for example. Its just a way to stop you bricking it.

BlackKnight2000
24th February 2009, 12:51 AM
I just put a wiikey 2 in mine with a solderless clip. Easy and quick and has been working flawlessly. Mine obviously didn't have the epoxy resin on the security chip.

Crafty
24th February 2009, 09:42 AM
Media is also important.

I only use Verbatim or A Grade Ritek discs....

Our Wii has the D2PRO installed without problems.

If you need help sourcing a few games let me know via PM

sairuk
24th February 2009, 12:35 PM
I realise the request is for chip reccomendations but I have to put my hand up for a softmod. Will allow you to do everything you've asked for without opening the thing. Including multigame GC and 1:1 Wii backups from the disc channel.

You do of course need a copy of zelda to do it, which apart from time is probably the only real inconvenience. Easiest method is probably to use SoftMii nowdays (much to my dismay as they are a bunch of twats) The pack does work fine though for everyday use (i used v0.9.5, time of posting current version is 2.1.1).

Arcade King
25th February 2009, 07:44 PM
bugger already bought a wiikey off cwispy :D cheers for all your input fellahs :)

Whats some good games the kids would like?

Crafty
25th February 2009, 07:50 PM
Mario Kart, Mario Party, Wario Shake Dimension...

Boys/Girls - Ages:unsure

Arcade King
25th February 2009, 07:54 PM
one of each 8 and 10

Crafty
25th February 2009, 07:59 PM
OK then

Mario Galaxy
Lego Star Wars
Star Wars - Force Unleashed
De Blob
My little miss nine loves Dog Island

Pinball Classics and Ghost Squad for dad

Excite truck if your into driving games....

Can help with all the above;) if required also

GEMINI
25th February 2009, 09:31 PM
AA are you soldering it in or going the solderless route??
let us know how you go

Mickey Juice
26th February 2009, 11:59 AM
Good to see some gore on the Wii

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/01/mad-world-cleared-for-australian-release-with-no-cuts.ars

http://kotaku.com/5160041/the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-review-a-blast-from-the-past

Arcade King
26th February 2009, 04:04 PM
I realise the request is for chip reccomendations but I have to put my hand up for a softmod. Will allow you to do everything you've asked for without opening the thing. Including multigame GC and 1:1 Wii backups from the disc channel.

You do of course need a copy of zelda to do it, which apart from time is probably the only real inconvenience. Easiest method is probably to use SoftMii nowdays (much to my dismay as they are a bunch of twats) The pack does work fine though for everyday use (i used v0.9.5, time of posting current version is 2.1.1).

mate I'm going over to borrow my brothers original of TP to give this soft mod thing a crack, I know I got the wiikey on the way but i'd like to see how good this soft mod is.

Cheers for all the game recommendations thus far :)

sairuk
26th February 2009, 06:31 PM
mate I'm going over to borrow my brothers original of TP to give this soft mod thing a crack, I know I got the wiikey on the way but i'd like to see how good this soft mod is.

Cheers for all the game recommendations thus far :)

Well good luck, you need net access for your wii for the installers. I havent had any issues and I softmodded mine some time ago, I have also tested numerous methods since then, SoftMii (Formally RiskiiMod) was the easiest thus far.

My softmod wii is better than my mates w/chip (wiikey v1 so old) ... the only issue I do have is 2 of my original NTSC games, wiisports and zelda do not currently display video (due to numerous reasons aftewr converting to 3.2E from 3.2U) when run through the disc channel. They load fine through gecko loader so I assume that hack for preloader will come, or if not I may try to make it oneday.

Arcade King
26th February 2009, 10:26 PM
well +1 for softmii, instructions are all over the place but I got it installed. I dont have any backup Wii games to try but I made a multi boot GC disk with 4 games and worked great!

sairuk
26th February 2009, 10:44 PM
well +1 for softmii, instructions are all over the place but I got it installed. I dont have any backup Wii games to try but I made a multi boot GC disk with 4 games and worked great!

Good to hear, glad you got it running. You may now install a disc dumper channel, dump any original titles you have (across wifi) and test your wii with backups, whilst keeping your precious originals safe!

:D

Viper
26th February 2009, 10:56 PM
Will a sotmod kill any gamesaves/profiles from the machine. I want to softmod my Wii but am damned if I'm going to play Hotwheels for hour after hour again to unlock the tracks for my 4 year old (little buggger accidentally deleted his profile and I had to stay up for nights on end unlocking them all again).

sairuk
26th February 2009, 11:02 PM
Will a sotmod kill any gamesaves/profiles from the machine. I want to softmod my Wii but am damned if I'm going to play Hotwheels for hour after hour again to unlock the tracks for my 4 year old (little buggger accidentally deleted his profile and I had to stay up for nights on end unlocking them all again).

No not the softmod, but you can also backup your savegames to SD card in the settings.

If you change the region of your Wii (US to EU or EU to JP) then you will have issues with some saves, mario kart being one.

Viper
26th February 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks

Haven't really mucked around with it much, yet.

Mr Pubstuff
26th February 2009, 11:18 PM
i know u got ya chip AK, but i figure this will get read by people looking for wii chip info. i got a yowie, easy to install and hasnt missed a beat. i got some games that may be of use also. hey crafty, i got some more coming prob next week, so keep ya peepers peeled in case someone throws something at ya mailbox ....:cool:

im also interested in the softmod option for friends machines tho.

:)

Arcade King
27th February 2009, 06:23 AM
Cheers

Yeah I know I got me chip on the way but I'd thought I'd give this softmod a burl. :)

Arcade King
28th February 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok got my first "backup" to try Soul Calibre Legends NTSC. Games works great but the intro video is choppy.
Did a bit of digging around and read somthing sbout softmodding reduces the drive speed to 3X?
Anybody got any info on this? could it have been because I used a NTSC game on PAL Wii?

IMPURE
28th February 2009, 10:05 PM
put the chip in mate :)

Arcade King
1st March 2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah think I will.

Fark I te'lls ya had to do a lot of running around yesterday just to buy a couple of wiimotes, bloody things are sold out everywhere! Managed to find a couple so i grabbed both.

DevoDave
1st March 2009, 10:46 AM
Did a bit of digging around and read somthing sbout softmodding reduces the drive speed to 3X?

That's right... Some games it's not too bad, but for many it can be very distracting if not unplayable.

Some might say I have a conflict of interest (as I install the buggers on the side) but IMHO softmods are not worth the effort.

sairuk
1st March 2009, 11:55 AM
but for many it can be very distracting if not unplayable.

What games? I mustve been lucky so far, out of the 40 i have none have a problem with choppy video. Choppy video could be down to media also, if so a chip wont fix this. This problem did occur for a friend of mine on whatever media he was using at the time, Once i gave him a verbatim to test the problem went away. I'd be interested to test SC, no dls left for the month so it'll be a while for that.

GC scene was a farce due to DREs/Audio/Video choppiness, with HW modded consoles. All down to media. I doubt much has changed for the Wii scene.

From what i read they cant increase the dvdr read speed (it doesn't particularly decrease) as the read mode is different unlike chips which run the games as tho they were originals by patching on the fly in memory (pls correct me if i'm wrong here). Some tests published a while back showed no real world differences for the 6x vs 3x debate in loading/read speed etc. That's not to say its entirely the case with all games.

Arcade King
4th March 2009, 08:51 PM
Ok I can confirm using the wiikey 2 and the same NTSC Soul Calibre Legends disk as before the movies no longer skip.
+ 1 for modchip.

sairuk
4th March 2009, 08:53 PM
Ok I can confirm using the wiikey 2 and the same NTSC Soul Calibre Legends disk as before the movie s no longer skip.
+ 1 for modchip.

Interesting, will have to get a copy to try. Wonder what else will skip then.

Arcade King
4th March 2009, 08:56 PM
I should also mention that sometimes the sound goes out of sync in game IE when the characters are talking (not movie related) reading around seems to be a NTSC on PAL thing, might have to stick to PAL releases not unless somebody can suggest a fix.

DKong
4th March 2009, 09:10 PM
Ok I can confirm using the wiikey 2 and the same NTSC Soul Calibre Legends disk as before the movies no longer skip.
+ 1 for modchip.

Dude we told you ;)

I should also mention that sometimes the sound goes out of sync in game IE when the characters are talking (not movie related) reading around seems to be a NTSC on PAL thing, might have to stick to PAL releases not unless somebody can suggest a fix.

I would stick to PAL releases unless you are desperate or want to play NTSC, most NTSC games work, Pinball classics does and not released on PAL. A worthy one to add now you are chipped :D

Arcade King
4th March 2009, 09:17 PM
Well the NTSC game was the first "backup" i had so :p all good tho :)

cwispy
4th March 2009, 11:07 PM
+ 1 for modchip.

Well done Trav. :)

Mickey Juice
8th April 2009, 12:50 PM
I see they may have found a new exploit:

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11110

This is a PREVIEW of an exploit in the system menu that comex found that will let us run custom code, which means we can basically set up homebrew on a wii without twilight princess, or even a dvd drive. It's just a channel on an SD card. Currently it is just set up to load the HBC but more will come soon.

All of the credit goes to comex for this, I just tested it and filmed the video.

Mickey Juice
15th May 2009, 04:45 PM
Here's a replacement for the TP hack. Works on V4.0 Wiis too

http://tehskeen.com/modules/News/showarticle.php?threadid=11650

Comex and crew have released their "Banner Bomb" exploit for the Nintendo Wii. Like the Twilight Princess exploit this allows you to run "unsigned" code on your Nintendo Wii. However, unlike the Twilight Princess exploit Bannerbomb allows you to run "unsigned code" (aka Homebrew) without the need for the Zelda game disc. All you need is an SD Card and be able to read the installation instructions.

Emohawk
15th May 2009, 06:00 PM
Sweet thanks for the post.

GEMINI
15th May 2009, 08:31 PM
Has anyone tried this yet??
also the only thing i have access to that will read and write to an sd card is a camera (will i be able to load the files needed to the card through the camera without the camera adding extra files and stuffing the whole thing up?)
pS mY neighbours suck much dick:realmad:.. the f@#ckers are chopping wood and revving a mini motorbike(i don't live in the country) i have a 20 month old asleep
wish i had a taser:D

HDCM
16th May 2009, 10:14 AM
Has anyone tried this yet??
also the only thing i have access to that will read and write to an sd card is a camera (will i be able to load the files needed to the card through the camera without the camera adding extra files and stuffing the whole thing up?)
pS mY neighbours suck much dick:realmad:.. the f@#ckers are chopping wood and revving a mini motorbike(i don't live in the country) i have a 20 month old asleep
wish i had a taser:D

yep it works a-okay :)

elvis
16th May 2009, 11:25 AM
Ok got my first "backup" to try Soul Calibre Legends NTSC. Games works great but the intro video is choppy.
Anybody got any info on this? could it have been because I used a NTSC game on PAL Wii?
Check out Savage's Wii+USB-hard-disk thread:
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=22420

No disc-lag (waiting for doors to open in Metroid as scenes load blows goats), and it'll save your laser over the years.