PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning PCB's

ausflying
2nd August 2006, 08:19 PM
Hi Guys,
just wondering if you had any tips about the best way to clean up an old (working) pcb... its covered in dust and grim etc, so it looks in need of a spruce up. any input will be most helpful :D

Cheers

Berty
2nd August 2006, 08:40 PM
First you need to find any power sources such as batteries etc and remove them from the board. Then ensure that all cap's are discharged. Remove any socketed roms and then chuck the whole thing in the dishwasher without detergent on low heat.

Take it out, use a hair dryer to get it dry, and then leave it sit until it is 100% dry. (i wait 24hours to be sure.) Then re-assemble. Obviously there are going to be some boards that if you disconnect the battery then you are going to kill them (CPS2) etc.

Mrvfone
2nd August 2006, 08:45 PM
Hi Guys,
just wondering if you had any tips about the best way to clean up an old (working) pcb... its covered in dust and grim etc, so it looks in need of a spruce up. any input will be most helpful :D

Cheers

There are 1 part and 2 part PCB wash or "Safe wash" i think it is called. Some have a wash and then a different rinse chemical. I have used the 2 part one...

IPA Alcohol is cheaper and easyer to get. Fully evaporates and doesn`t damage anything. Just make sure it`s fully dry when re-starting the board. i think pure ethanol is the same stuff?? Or am i getting mixed up?

I was going to build a "Pcb wash tank" with like an air block from a fish tank in the bottom, and airarate it. Can`t us IPA in there.. would explode with the fumes! But a 1 part or 2 part PCB wash would be ok..

I reckon it would work a treat! Just leave them in there overnight ect..

Mrv.

MadMikeAU
2nd August 2006, 08:46 PM
...or you could go to Dick Smiths and get some contact cleaner and spray that on. You need to prop the board up somewhere so the disolved gunk can run off. It evaporates very quickly too.

Mrvfone
2nd August 2006, 08:48 PM
First you need to find any power sources such as batteries etc and remove them from the board. Then ensure that all cap's are discharged. Remove any socketed roms and then chuck the whole thing in the dishwasher without detergent on low heat.

Take it out, use a hair dryer to get it dry, and then leave it sit until it is 100% dry. (i wait 24hours to be sure.) Then re-assemble. Obviously there are going to be some boards that if you disconnect the battery then you are going to kill them (CPS2) etc.

ARRRRR!!! Please tell me you don`t actualy do that Berty!!!

It`s not a safe option i think!

Mrv.

Berty
2nd August 2006, 08:52 PM
ARRRRR!!! Please tell me you don`t actualy do that Berty!!!

It`s not a safe option i think!

Mrv.

Yep, done it on several occasions to really shitty boards. Its not for everyone, but it gets the job done.

EDIT>

I should also add that the only reason why i clean the board is to make it easier to work on them. The ones that i have cleaned have been terrible and if i didnt get all the gunk off them then it would get into the solder etc.

ausflying
2nd August 2006, 08:53 PM
...or you could go to Dick Smiths and get some contact cleaner and spray that on. You need to prop the board up somewhere so the disolved gunk can run off. It evaporates very quickly too.

sounds like a pretty simple solution... do you need to prepare the board in anyway before you spray that stuff on? (as u can see im a complete novice with this stuff)

MadMikeAU
2nd August 2006, 08:58 PM
sounds like a pretty simple solution... do you need to prepare the board in anyway before you spray that stuff on? (as u can see im a complete novice with this stuff)

Nope, just spray it on and the crud runs off. The only problem that I have had is that once you do it, you have to do the whole thing as you've made a clean patch :D

Berty
2nd August 2006, 09:01 PM
Nope, just spray it on and the crud runs off. The only problem that I have had is that once you do it, you have to do the whole thing as you've made a clean patch :D

What about batteries and such? does it affect them i.e. cause shorts etc.

ausflying
2nd August 2006, 09:05 PM
thanks for the infor mick... one more question... do you have any idea where i can get a new CPO like this one?

MadMikeAU
2nd August 2006, 09:11 PM
What about batteries and such? does it affect them i.e. cause shorts etc.

Reading off the can...

A fast drying cleaning solvent for use on electronic, electro-mechanical and mechanical devices. Ideal for use on PC boards, cameras, computers, telephones, radio/cassettes, keyboards, televisions and CD players. removes oil, grease and flux contaminations without leavng residue. Safe on most plastics. Low toxicity.

The next 4 paragraphs are all about not sniffing it and how not to blow yourself up with it...oh, and how you will kinda die if you spray it in your mouth (these people are no fun).

I guess that it evaporates too quickly for shorts :unsure but them saying it is ideal for tvs mean its ok (i gather)

Anyway, it fixed my Choplifter PCB right up. All them little glitches were gone as soon as it dried !!!!

The Pinny Parlour
2nd August 2006, 10:14 PM
thanks for the infor mick... one more question... do you have any idea where i can get a new CPO like this one?
What you have there is an original Taito Pheonix cocktail Control Panel. Would be hard to find one that someone is selling. Best bet would be to remove the CP and scan it up. I would then get out your image editing software and go for it. Get it printed onto new brushed aluminium and your done.

If you do decided to scan it up I would love a copy.

Skybeaux
3rd August 2006, 08:29 AM
Yep, done it on several occasions to really shitty boards. Its not for everyone, but it gets the job done.

EDIT>

I should also add that the only reason why i clean the board is to make it easier to work on them. The ones that i have cleaned have been terrible and if i didnt get all the gunk off them then it would get into the solder etc.

I agree 100% Berty.

This is what i do.

Half vinegar and water solution and go at it with a paint brush.
Then give it a quick rinse under the tap, shake off excess water and give it a really good dry with a hair dryer.
Of coarse i remove any socketed chips, relays, batteries, etc. before hand.
Done about 30 boards this way.
Didn't harm a single one. :023:

Johns-Arcade
3rd August 2006, 08:03 PM

I too agree with this method and have also cleaned pcb's this way. In fact, I know an op who claimed a dishwasher back on his tax to do this very thing. The only problem I've ever had was the wife asking me why I'm happy to load the dishwasher with pcb's but not the dishes!!:

JWG.

Not Matt
10th November 2006, 12:06 PM
Bit old, but if you got that printed up I would love a copy. I have one immaculate, but the other is just like that.

As far as PCBs go... still a bit unsure about sticking them in a dishwasher :o