20th February 2009, 11:09 PM
House Of The Dead: Overkill
Nintendo Wii
Developed by Headstrong Games
Published by Sega
Released February 2009

Review by Kitty:

:D here we go.......

so i got home yesterday afternoon with a huge storm approaching (perfect HOTD weather!!!) only played for bout an hour and a half (had walls to plaster lol) here are my first impressions on the game....

i was suprised, i had a look inside the book, and it had controls etc for the Zapper, however..i dont have the WII Zapper, we have 2 " HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box. (definately easy to use, and much better than i imagine the Zapper would be - although 2 sensor bars might make it better)

my first impression...... very Tarantino like in some aspects.
definately not a game for the kiddies, WAY too much swearing (which verges on extreme sometimes.)

ok so into the gameplay itself....

i found it can be a tiny bit repetitive at times... generally the exact same prototype zombie (mutant) in each level... so gets a little blah toward the end of the stage, its still enjoyable, but i feel like i want to see some different zombies throughout... not the same 4 or 5 types over and over again. (although the hot nurse zombies are wicked :D) - understand they are trying to keep it at realistic and original as possible... but how hard is it to have some more zombie 'types'??

there's a bit of lag here and there between screens, or between areas. which gets a little frustrating. also, it pisses me off because the zombies come at you and some of them go really far to the right or left of the screen so you cant see or shoot them, but they're right there hitting you... bit annoying.

also, the gun re-load time is a bit ho-hum to start off with so i highly recommend that you purchase that upgrade first (and the MK42 is crappy)

i love love LOVE the slo mo-fo (which you get by shooting a green 'thing') it's very cool, especially when you have 8 or 9 zombies coming at you all at once.

the attention to detail is pretty good, but i would have liked to have seen some "Fallout 3" style blood spatters... instead of blood just pouring out of the zombies onto the ground.

the 2 player was good, but i think it would be better if you used it as a one player dual wielding option.... i DO like the fact that when you die, you just 'buy' back in, and that player 2 can join at almost any time....

the boss battles at the end of each stage are probably the worst part of the whole lot (although i've only done 2 of them), very repetitive, and not the challenging, just annoying really. (still in my heart nothing can hold up to Final Fantasy boss battles :redface)

the storyline is pretty good (even though i wished Varla was hotter) but hey, this game isn't so much about the storyline as it is about shooting some zombies.

in terms of the visual appearance and attention to detail - it's very ' B Grade' movie - once again, i'm guessing they want to keep it as original as possible, but considering how advanced the technology is now... i kind of would have expected a little cooler graphics in there(but that's just my high standards)

all in all, very enjoyable... not like anything we currently own or play... which i immediately like. it's not a perfect replica of the original, but it still has that feel about it. (but it will never live up to my memories of playing the arcade game in the cinemas when i was younger :badgrin).

i'd still give it about an 8.75 out of 10..... (despite the fact that my review has just pinpointed mostly the negatives, it is a really really good game and worth a play.... i think i just hyped myself up a little too much....)

(i'm not so good at reviews, and i can be quite picky at times... so hope this helps you guys a little bit..... :tomato)

DKong
4th April 2009, 01:23 AM
Can't get the girlfriend off it at the moment, damn 2.30 in morning get in the bed and do some shagging loll

kitty
5th April 2009, 11:23 AM
so played a LOT more of this game this weekend... and after re-reading my review, i think i was pretty harsh. i may have judged it a little early. :)

we're doing the director's cut and its HEAPS better.....

had a bbq last night, and we all played HOTD after a few drinks, and it was really really enjoyable. (i think all up yesterday, we played about 6 hours of it lol)

Emohawk
6th April 2009, 12:55 PM
Here is Yahtzee review..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/600-House-of-the-Dead-Overkill

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/600-House-of-the-Dead-Overkill

elvis
6th April 2009, 01:17 PM
(i think all up yesterday, we played about 6 hours of it lol)
6 hours of games in one day? I remember that... before children...

*sigh*

Arsenic Hipster
7th April 2009, 08:18 PM
Ok you got me. I found a place who had one of the Bang Bang box left and they dropped the price to something I was willing to pay.

My brother and I have played the first 2 levels (straight into the game, no reading the book) and it's been fun. The intro and cutscenes are great, and I only saw Planet Terror last week. Prior to this HOTD 1&2 are the only other ones in the series I've played (except Typing of the Dead but that's a remake of the first game) and I find it funny the one that is supposed to be a dodgy, B grade piss-take has the best voice acting and dialogue. Perhaps they should have taken that route a long time ago.

Just firing to reload seems a bit weird, the time it takes can be annoying but I reckon it adds to the whole "Oh shit they're coming! Hurry" aspect. I guess it's all those arcade games that have trained us to shoot away from the screen to get an instant reload even if you've only fired 2 bullets. I'm wondering if adding a bit of plastic to the guns will shorten the travel in the triggers.

The only other real issue I've had is everything is a bit dark to see, but that's our TV. I've had the same problem in Metroid Prime and Raving Rabbids and can't seem to find an adjustment that'll fix it without maxing out the brightness.

I'm having a ball and hope single player holds up as well. Between this and Madworld (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6774.html)I think Sega have sent a big "Oh Really?" to the people who claim the Wii is just for little kids. These are clearly big kid games.

kitty
8th April 2009, 09:50 AM
Just firing to reload seems a bit weird, the time it takes can be annoying but I reckon it adds to the whole "Oh shit they're coming! Hurry" aspect. I guess it's all those arcade games that have trained us to shoot away from the screen to get an instant reload even if you've only fired 2 bullets. I'm wondering if adding a bit of plastic to the guns will shorten the travel in the triggers..

when you get more cash you can upgrade your guns which makes a MASSIVE difference to how quickly you reload....

when you have a fully upgraded automatic shotgun - its freakin sweet! especially playing the earlier levels with such powerful weapons :D

danny_galaga
9th April 2009, 06:25 PM
hey what guns are you guys using? im sold on the nyko perfect shot, but no one seems to sell them in australia. just bought one on ebay from the us- $11 and $11 for shipping! but it would be nice to know i can just buy another one locally when i need a second...

kitty
9th April 2009, 08:40 PM
hey what guns are you guys using? im sold on the nyko perfect shot, but no one seems to sell them in australia. just bought one on ebay from the us- $11 and $11 for shipping! but it would be nice to know i can just buy another one locally when i need a second...

i use HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box, but i think you can buy them separately :)

AdamC
9th April 2009, 08:45 PM
I spotted a gun at a Game.com shop , it has a laser pointer .. thought that might come in handy. :)

I get my pinball money on sat, so might go shopping ...... ;)

DKong
9th April 2009, 09:14 PM
I bought the Perfect shot guns from Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10833, think mine were around $8.00 though:unsure, took a while to get here (with free postage), plus they are silver and more gun looking.
Seem solid enough, wiimote fits well, feels like a gun:D

Buy them from deal extreme as per my post

danny_galaga
9th April 2009, 10:50 PM
I bought the Perfect shot guns from Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10833, think mine were around $8.00 though:unsure, took a while to get here (with free postage), plus they are silver and more gun looking.
Seem solid enough, wiimote fits well, feels like a gun:D

Buy them from deal extreme as per my post

interesting, that looks like a knock off of the nyko perfect shot!

i use HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box, but i think you can buy them separately :)

doh! just like in your review! how much was the box set?

DKong
10th April 2009, 01:23 AM
A few of the Nintendo nerds from another site think the NERF guns are the best:unsure

danny_galaga
10th April 2009, 12:01 PM
A few of the Nintendo nerds from another site think the NERF guns are the best:unsure

hmm, the nerf guns caught my eye. may end up trying em all in the end! for now i have a nyko on its way to me as well as the bang bang box set (i hope)

elvis
10th April 2009, 08:46 PM
Those DealExtreme guns look pretty good. Might have to grab a pair I think.

Savage
10th April 2009, 10:08 PM
Only problem is what gun to get. They got heaps on that site!

danny_galaga
12th April 2009, 11:18 AM
my main worry is that some of the guns in the shops dont have triggers. you have to press the B button at the front of the gun. thats daft...

elvis
12th April 2009, 12:30 PM
One thing that's always peeved me about the current Wii lightgun games (well, all console games to be honest) is that you can't configure your buttons any way you want.

I've got an awesome gun for Wii, but it uses the C and Z buttons on the nunchuck attachment as the trigger (and your thumb to move the analogue stick for either movement, menu/item selection or map to reload). There's not a single lightgun game that can be mapped to those buttons (analogue stick yes, C/Z buttons no)! Games will either let you use A or B, neither of which are terribly sensible for a pistol-style setup (the Wii Zapper's SMG (MP5-wannabe) setup is OK, but I hate using two hands for one gun).

Here's the original Wii Zapper prototype, which had the same "C as shoot" setup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wii_zapper.jpg

How bizzare that no games are made for that, even though it could have been the default setup.

I see that finally all these newer style guns have mechanisms that stretch from a fake trigger up to the B trigger on the WiiMote. Still not much of an option for WiiMote+Nunchuck in one as a pistol though.

Anyways.... that's just me being picky. I firmly believe all games should allow players 100% configuration of button mapping. You get it on fighting games, and on PC games. But for some reason they give you two or three silly defaults on most other console games rather than just allowing a "map your own" setup, which would make way more sense.

danny_galaga
12th April 2009, 04:36 PM
hear, hear. wii gun games really should allow any mapping so that 3rd parties can make guns however they see fit...

danny_galaga
15th April 2009, 08:57 PM
woohoo! Those mo fos sure are big! I found i got a pain in my wrist like ive NEVER had before ;)

definitely a two hander, these. very nicely made though. And yeah, what Kitty said about the game in general (",)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91380.0;attach=122 056;image

DKong
15th April 2009, 11:52 PM
woohoo! Those mo fos sure are big! I found i got a pain in my wrist like ive NEVER had before ;)

definitely a two hander, these. very nicely made though. And yeah, what Kitty said about the game in general (",)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91380.0;attach=122 056;image

:lol I was using the deal extreme guns over my arm like a real ganster, left arm for support. my GF was like WTF I said it feels better this way baby:D

kitty
16th April 2009, 08:01 AM

:lol LOVE it :)

are they the guns from the bang bang box? heavy mo fo's hey, but awesome all the same :)

danny_galaga
16th April 2009, 03:06 PM
:lol LOVE it :)

are they the guns from the bang bang box? heavy mo fo's hey, but awesome all the same :)

yep, thems my bang bang bangers (",)

elvis
17th April 2009, 07:22 AM
Holy shit on a stick those guns are massive!

(I have plastic gun envy??? :redface )

kitty
17th April 2009, 07:53 AM
Holy shit on a stick those guns are massive!

(I have plastic gun envy??? :redface )

yep they are big mo fo's - but they're not as heavy as they look :)

after an hour or two you might need some support to hold your arms up though :lol

elvis
17th April 2009, 04:02 PM
I've got no problems holding guns for long periods of time. Plenty of forearm stamina here. :laugh:

Seriously though, my best mate and I play lightgun games a lot (no, that's not a euphemism). We regularly had 4+ hour sessions of Point Blank and Virtua Cop back in the old days. Then he went and stacked his motorbike and busted up his wrist, so now he can't hold a gun for more than 30 minutes without being in severe agony. (Poor bastard's sex life must be ruined too... :p )

danny_galaga
17th April 2009, 06:04 PM
I've got no problems holding guns for long periods of time. Plenty of forearm stamina here. :laugh:

Seriously though, my best mate and I play lightgun games a lot (no, that's not a euphemism). We regularly had 4+ hour sessions of Point Blank and Virtua Cop back in the old days. Then he went and stacked his motorbike and busted up his wrist, so now he can't hold a gun for more than 30 minutes without being in severe agony. (Poor bastard's sex life must be ruined too... :p )

4 hours! holy crap! I'm lucky to last 30 minutes, WITHOUT having had a bike accident...

just written a short comparison of the Nyko and the AMS at BYOAC:

Ok. Just got the Nyko Perfect Shot in. Bit of a difference in size, eh? This gives a fair idea of how much more moment the AMS has over the Nyko. My very un-scientific assessment so far is that the AMS is more accurate, but definitely feels heavier because of the length. The wiimote fits more snugly in the AMS, and you can leave the strap on. In the Nyko, there is a little play left and right, maybe 1.5mm. Might not matter too much though since we all know a wiimote isn't going to have the accuracy of an actual light gun. Seems like you have to take the strap off for the Nyko. The Nyko has a cool pass-through for the nunchuck, which could be handy for some games. And i definitely don't get as tired holding it. The AMS doesn't have a pass-through, but just a small hole in the back and a slot to fit a nunchuck cord in, which would shorten the cord considerably. But then if you need a nunchuck, just use a different gun...

The Nyko trigger is a bit firmer, which i like. The clip looks a little flimsy though, and i don't know why they went for orange. Would anyone REALLY think this is a real gun?

About the weight. I'm pretty weak in this regard. I get sore really easily. Most people will last longer than me using the same equipment. As an example, one round of Point Blank and i need a rest! Therefore the difference in weight might not be so noticeable with other people.

I don't know which one i prefer really. They both look cool. But one looks James Bond cool, and the other looks Dirty Harry cool (",)http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91380.0;attach=122 259;image

kitty
17th April 2009, 06:16 PM
definately like the look of the AMS ones better - they're so badass :lol

felixthadog
17th April 2009, 06:26 PM
definately like the look of the AMS ones better - they're so badass :lol

+1, the AMS gun looks awesome. It would be alot of fun to blow away baddies with that mofo :D

Matthew

elvis
17th April 2009, 06:30 PM
and you can leave the strap on

"Strap on" spelled backwards is "no parts".

Coincidence? I think not.

danny_galaga
17th April 2009, 10:14 PM
"Strap on" spelled backwards is "no parts".

Coincidence? I think not.

hmmmm. of course you missed making a great gag about strap-ons. but no matter...

DKong
17th April 2009, 10:42 PM
Since we're showing our guns these are the Perfect Shot one's I bought from Deal Extreme

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/DKongAA/IMG_2115.jpg

kitty
17th April 2009, 11:07 PM
they dont look to bad..... i like the look of those better than the other ones, but lookswise, the AMS cannons still win :)

DKong
17th April 2009, 11:13 PM
they dont look to bad..... i like the look of those better than the other ones, but lookswise, the AMS cannons still win :)

True didn't realise the size of the AMS gun's till I saw the pic's, now if we could get them in silver with black handles, that would be the ultimate :cool:

kitty
17th April 2009, 11:14 PM
True didn't realise the size of the AMS gun's till I saw the pic's, now if we could get them in silver with black handles, that would be the ultimate :cool:

shit yea..... that'd be wicked.....spray paint them? :lol

DKong
17th April 2009, 11:33 PM
shit yea..... that'd be wicked.....spray paint them? :lol

Not a bad idea at all :cool:
Anyway who looks at their gun when they are shooting anyway:lol

danny_galaga
21st April 2009, 09:01 PM
ok, well im enjoying this game immensely. theres a feature however, that is at once both cool and retarded. cool that you can just flick your gun and it reloads. but retarded that sometimes it will reload when you least expect it- like when a zombie is really close and you needed to bust one more shot off!

i also like that when you aim your gun to the edges, the camera moves a little so you can see a bit more.

elvis
21st April 2009, 09:28 PM
i also like that when you aim your gun to the edges, the camera moves a little so you can see a bit more.
That's cool. HotD 2 and 3 both suffered from "half off-screen zombie" syndrome, which drives me nuts.

AdamC
24th April 2009, 09:04 PM
I bought myself a copy yesterday , and have only been able to have a few short goes at it.
Its really good. :)

Im just recharging my wii remotes tonight for a few hours worth of gaming before i head to work tomorrow.

danny_galaga
25th April 2009, 11:08 AM
finally bought another wiimote last night. i couldnt figure out how to set it up for 'dual wield' but maybe thats something you unlock. but i managed to get my housemate interested in a bit of a blast in two player mode. played for a couple of hours. she enjoyed it and conceded its disturbingly satisfying blowing off a zombies head :D

kitty
25th April 2009, 07:23 PM
i think dual wield is effectively 2 player mode that you play yourself...... that's how we've been doing it anyways :lol

danny_galaga
25th April 2009, 11:17 PM
i think dual wield is effectively 2 player mode that you play yourself...... that's how we've been doing it anyways :lol

so im playing with myself. hmmm...

im stuck trying to get the last boss. i dont have a gun to shoot it :unsure
i could look it up on the net, but i want to work it out myself. so dont tell me...

also, how are these 'hand cannons' modeled on anything in the game? or are they from house of the dead 2 or something? they look vaguely familiar with the scroll-work, but i don't see them in this game. maybe i'm just not looking hard enough...

elvis
1st May 2009, 10:51 PM
Got home from work on Tuesday, and what do I find sitting on top of the TV?

My wife rocks!

http://www.stickfreaks.com/images/bangbang.jpg

kitty
2nd May 2009, 06:50 AM
oh hell yeah elvis ---- thats wicked!!! your missus is a legend!

danny_galaga
6th May 2009, 08:51 PM

just noticed the other day that 'dual wield' is in fact unlockable. and you can only play it when you click the little 'extra mutants' box. I havent yet unlocked it though...

kitty
6th May 2009, 09:31 PM
oooohh.... nice pick up mate!!!! will have to play some more to unlock it

Brodieman
9th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Soooo want that

danny_galaga
31st May 2009, 02:24 PM

kitty
31st May 2009, 02:27 PM
:lol **** that's great!!! i love it!

CampKrusty
18th June 2009, 09:45 PM
EB games was selling the game for $50 i think and the guns were half price at $15....I had a go today on my 50inch plasma with surround sound very awesome....Ghost squad should be here tomorrow so can't wait for that. $26 off ebay delivered..:066:

danny_galaga
19th June 2009, 11:29 PM
EB games was selling the game for $50 i think and the guns were half price at $15....I had a go today on my 50inch plasma with surround sound very awesome....Ghost squad should be here tomorrow so can't wait for that. $26 off ebay delivered..:066:

ah yes, but not THE guns :D

i finally got through to the directors cuts too a little while ago but havent played in a while. Might get serious this weekend...

Bendragon
11th July 2009, 04:26 PM
I hadn't seen this until I got home today...With my Big Bang Box...I'll fire it up tonight and go from there.
Looks money tho !

scopedog
26th October 2009, 12:27 AM
Nice review! I used to love playing the first game in the arcade.