PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out SK Jukebox

Black Tiger
13th February 2009, 12:45 AM
I don't know if it's because i'm a fussy bastard, but when i'm using SK Jukebox, when i'm flicking though the albums when they're small, it's fine - they will glide along nicely, but when I have them in larger view (big size) they don't glide across as smoothly - some a actually really clunky when they slide across.
I've tried messing with the display settings within SKJ but it sometimes makes it slide worse.

I this week I tried upgrading my RAM from 256MB to 1GB - it certainly sped everything up, that is everything except that large album art as I had hoped. I also tried compressing (progressively degrading) the album art images and that makes a difference but it makes them look blocky.

Next thing I guess i should try upgrading is the vid card!? - at the moment it has a Nvidia Vanta 16 card in it which I am guessing is a little 16MB card - could that be the problem? too small? i've installed the latest drivers for it but no difference?! Is it really necessary to get some enormous card with a colossal heat sink and fan hanging off the side just to get things to glide nicely?

The system in my Jukebox is a 2Ghz Pentium 4

AdamC
13th February 2009, 07:35 AM
Upgrade the vid card , you will notice a big difference.
Im sure the juke i made at xmas time only had a 16 or a 32 MB vid card in it , and the transition of the albums was a bit slow / slightly jerky. (4 albums at a time)

I have a 256Mb card in mine - it helped a lot with ultrastar as well - the videos run smoothly now, too.

What dimensions are the album covers ?
Im sure the biggest mine are 500 x 500 - average would be around the 300 x 300 mark, as that size was the main result when searching on google.

The PC in the juke is a P4 1.7.

Brad
13th February 2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah the PC in my SKJukebox juke is only a 1.2 AMD Duron. It has 750 meg but only a smallish videocard. 128meg old geforce from memory. I have no issues with image transition. The only slowdowns I have is if I use a music library from an external USB drive. Have a 1x speed USB post kills it lol. Local disk works fine though.

Brad

Black Tiger
13th February 2009, 09:06 AM
Upgrade the vid card , you will notice a big difference.
Im sure the juke i made at xmas time only had a 16 or a 32 MB vid card in it , and the transition of the albums was a bit slow / slightly jerky. (4 albums at a time)

Ah! excellent! so that's where the problem lies! ;) Actually it was your jukebox that inspired me to make my own. You'll see what I mean by the pictures I will be posting soon

I have a 256Mb card in mine - it helped a lot with ultrastar as well - the videos run smoothly now, too.

I'm on it! :cool: Does it make much of a difference between PSI and AGP? I've got both slots - I know it makes a difference with 3D acceleration, but I guess it doesn't apply in this case.

What dimensions are the album covers ?
Im sure the biggest mine are 500 x 500 - average would be around the 300 x 300 mark, as that size was the main result when searching on google.

Yep, the maximum I have gone to is 500X500, they pretty much vary in size up to that.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Yeah the PC in my SKJukebox juke is only a 1.2 AMD Duron. It has 750 meg but only a smallish videocard. 128meg old geforce from memory.

That "smallish" videocard is still 112Mb bigger than what I am using! :lol so it looks like a new card is the go!

I have no issues with image transition. The only slowdowns I have is if I use a music library from an external USB drive. Have a 1x speed USB post kills it lol.

bottle necked? :lol