PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a super simple chess program?

dmworking247
11th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Guys, I've got an ususual software request. I'm not sure a product like this would exist to my specific requirements, but if anybody knows of a candidate please let me know.

Alternatively if there are any programmers on the forum who reckon its simple enough, would you be willing to give it a go?

What I'm after:
A chess game with no logic. I simply want a regular chess board and its pieces (but with the option to show JUST the board without pieces). Must have the ability to move the pieces around with a joystick/USB controller.

No actual game logic/computer player is required.

If it was written from scratch, the following features would be nice:
Button to reset the playfield
Ability to clear playfield (no pieces shown)
Option in a config file to specify a background image (behind the board)
Ability to specify the actual board image (instead of the default black/white squares)
Ability to specify the left/right/up/down movements (key inputs or joystick inputs) and select/let go (ie press button to pick up piece, move it to where you want it, let it go
Added value: Ability to save state.

Time will tell if this latest brainstorm comes to fruition, but all I'll say for now is that its not a cocktail and its not a bartop... quite :)

narf_
11th February 2009, 06:43 PM
ahh i know what your planning

nice idea

biggeorge
12th February 2009, 06:38 AM
Wouldn't be terribly difficult to write something to your specs.
Pick a language.

Gawd, even a commodore 64 could do all of the above.

You planning on putting this onto a Microsoft Surface type of cabinet?

Some chess games i've seen have a mode where you can freely move the pieces around however you like. Good 'ol Battlechess used to be able to do this.

If I were you, I would start with someone elses Java program and modify it.