PDA

View Full Version : Help, Rockola model 481 (1981) Memory

gordo
6th February 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi,

I have a Rockola 481 model jukebox. Recently the 'memory' has stopped working. It is on free play but will only play 1 song at a time.

When the song ends the machine returns to rest. I need to select another song. If I select many songs, but cancel the record before it ends the next song plays.

Can anyone help steer me in where to look?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Gordo.....

narf_
7th February 2009, 12:48 AM
that has the same assembly as my 77

maybe your cancel switch on the back could be sticky?

gordo
7th February 2009, 08:23 AM
I have tried everything.

When the song is finished playing, the jukebox resets and it loses the songs in memory.

When I press the cancel button (before a song ends), it cancels the record and plays the next song (the memory then works).

It is like the memory cancels when a song is played all the way to the end.

Thanks for your reply.

Gordo....

narf_
7th February 2009, 08:56 AM
no worries

i got mine already preset on freeplay also.

maybe leave a msg on here http://www.phonoland.com/

steptoe
7th February 2009, 02:18 PM
theres a bloke on ebay who seels some juke stuff and manuals, contact him as he knows alot about jukes. He can help

gordo
9th February 2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys, Yes I tried the jukebox guy but he only works on old machines and I posted on Phonoland without any success.

Thanks to everyone, I'll keep looking.........

Gordo..

ocdcsv
9th February 2009, 04:10 PM
Not sure of the components in the system but had a similar problem with another unit.

When it attempted to draw more power the control circuit watchdog would reboot the unit causing it to loose it memory.

Tracing through found that the supply rail was dropping when the unit wanted to proceed to the next item. Replacing capacitors fixed the issue and allowed the system to continue operating.

So perhaps monitor the power rails with a multimeter and see if you can see the drop when it cycles normally.

rackaball
16th February 2009, 12:56 PM
hi gordo i have a 488 same system as yours there is a battery pack rechargeable under tonearm back of juke check it out regards robert

RocK-Ozla
22nd September 2009, 04:05 PM
Hi to all...

well i think i may be the one talked about from eBay..

i cover all Rock-Ola jukes.. well try to..!!

1st thing is, do you have the service manuals for your juke..??

i'll read through my manuals to see if i can find a place to look.. (this may take some time as i have other things i'm also helping people with)

The Battery would be my 1st place to look, & is one of the big factors in memory lose...

cheers

gordo
26th September 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Rock Ozla<

I appreciate any help as I have tried everything without success.

Gordo

rockola
16th December 2009, 11:09 AM
Hi Rock Ozla<

I appreciate any help as I have tried everything without success.

Gordo

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem when I first got my 484. Assuming your 481 is fairly similar and has a Hit Tracker module in it, try replacing the lithium battery. They have a finite lifespan and if yours has never been replaced it'll be dead by now. The battery is soldered in place so you'll need to wield a soldering iron. Good luck.