PDA

View Full Version : TOUCH SCREEN PCS

stuba
1st February 2009, 06:05 PM
anyone that bought one of these got it going yet? if so, what processor did you use?

David_AVD
1st February 2009, 06:08 PM
MJDOZ got his going. Mine's now going too. I used a P4 (3Ghz I think) from my old Linux server.

Only have 256mb of RAM at present though. Will have to trawl through all the old PCs at work for more.

Arcade King
1st February 2009, 06:09 PM
so what is it a prescott socket 468?

stuba
1st February 2009, 07:39 PM
i have tried a 1.8gz and a 2.8gz for jack crap. did you hook up a cd drive as well david (to that really thin ribbon (a laptop cd drive?)

Burra749
1st February 2009, 08:20 PM
Dont tell me they are all duds.:o

Whats that old saying

If it sounds too good to be true, then......;)

David_AVD
1st February 2009, 08:34 PM
Ah! I forgot to say that you'll need to replace the 3V CR2032 coin cell for the cmos. Mine was down to 0.5V ! I did have weirdness before that. I'm typing this on the touch screen PC now. :D

I used a used laptop DVD drive without it's front bezel to install on mine. I didn't have any real luck using a double header IDE ribbon with the HDD and a normal sized DVD drive. :unsure

I only have 256mb of ram ATM and have had two BSOD but that may be due to the old HDD I threw in it. I've saved an image of the HDD to my network (using the free Seagate version of Acronis) in case I need to replace the drive.

The only other problem I've had is several Windows Update items failing to install but I suspect that's due to the miniscule amount of RAM installed! :lol

Arcade King
1st February 2009, 08:53 PM
i tried a 1.7 gig CPU and all i get is "no signal" when booting up. The battery wouldn't be the cause surly?

stuba
1st February 2009, 08:59 PM
its an intel 865 motherboard and from what i managed to google its only good for cpus 2.6ghz up. but will check cmos batt now thanks david.

David_AVD
1st February 2009, 09:05 PM
Looks like we need to scare up a supply of ram and cpu's now!

I'll buy the screens from anyone for $50 if they don't want them any more! :badgrin

Burra749
1st February 2009, 09:15 PM
Ive got 4 for sale @ $150 each :badgrin

narf_
1st February 2009, 09:16 PM
i have a 1.8 468 cpu with heatsink and fan here with some ram sticks :unsure

enough for a jukesetup

Claude
1st February 2009, 10:47 PM
What touch screen PC's are you guys talking about?

Edit - Never mind, find the info here at post #10 and beyond. Guess I am too late

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=18875&highlight=touch+screen

If anyone wants to sell 1 or more for what they paid or trade for something (NOS 21" Toshiba VGA gaming CRT and chassis??, arcade controls, etc) let me know.

WOKA
2nd February 2009, 11:02 AM
I put a P4 - 3.0 CPU in mine and it would post and then reset.. A P4 2.8 works just fine - so far..

mxd
2nd February 2009, 11:16 AM
damn. I missed this one DOH.

dmworking247
2nd February 2009, 11:17 AM
I just got mine in the post today (thanks Woka!!!!) I'm going to try and boot it momentarily (just installing 2.8ghz and some memory, and a temporary 40gb hdd)

dmworking247
2nd February 2009, 12:02 PM
Alrighty I've powered mine up.

Can you believe I actually found a CDRW drive from an old IBM Thinkpad that managed to fit the minature board & ribbon cable? You ripper.

I've put in a (dodgy) 40gb hdd until I can buy a new one next week, just to play around. I've also installed a 256mb memory stick and a 2.8ghz processor.

TinyXP is trying to install as I type this.

Initial thoughts:
The screen looks very bright at the dos prompt. Not 'high contrast' bright, but 'washed out grey instead of black' bright.

The fans (or is it my hdd? are so noisy that I can hear them from another room. That wont do if i"m to use this for a jukebox :(

narf_
2nd February 2009, 12:37 PM
might be fans

there easy to replace

dmworking247
2nd February 2009, 12:45 PM
Hmm, seems to be remarkably slow so far. Formatting this hdd has taken an hour already and its at 15%. Methinks I need a new hdd.

AskJacob
2nd February 2009, 12:53 PM
Hmm, seems to be remarkably slow so far. Formatting this hdd has taken an hour already and its at 15%. Methinks I need a new hdd.

How soon you forget the "old days" :D

dmworking247
2nd February 2009, 12:56 PM
How soon you forget the "old days" :D

I don't (completely) forget them, but IMO hard drive formatting has always kind of kept up with capacity.

ie, it seems to take the same time to format a 100gb hdd nowadays as it did to format a 100mb back in the early 90s. HDD & PC speed kept up proportionately with capacity I guess.

AskJacob
2nd February 2009, 01:06 PM
I don't (completely) forget them, but IMO hard drive formatting has always kind of kept up with capacity.

ie, it seems to take the same time to format a 100gb hdd nowadays as it did to format a 100mb back in the early 90s. HDD & PC speed kept up proportionately with capacity I guess.

There was a lumpy time between the 40 60 and 80 gb sizes where there were some radically different times formatting if I remember (some where ~40 mins, others 3+ hours). My last drive was a 1Tb unit, and took about 45 mins...

If your drive is knackered too, that will take ages to format as it tries to find and lock out bad sectors...

Cheers
Jacob

dmworking247
2nd February 2009, 02:16 PM
Well, damnit.

When it finally finished formatting, TinyXP installed and then it freezes halfway through loading windows. I guess the 'S.M.A.R.T' test failing on bootup is a good indication the hdd is cactus.

So now I have to stare at it for a week until I can get another hdd. *grumble*

David_AVD
2nd February 2009, 02:43 PM
Just a reminder to everyone that bought these: replace the CR3032 coin cell on the motherboard. It will cause you grief if you don't.

Burra749
4th February 2009, 11:40 AM
I have purchased a few of these & have 3 spare.

In the Aussie Arcade spirit of helping others out Im going to offer them to anyone who missed out.:023:

As both Claude & MXD have already expressed interest in this thread I will be offering them both one each.
If I dont hear back within the next 2 days I will let the next in line grab them.

That leaves one up for grabs for now.

The cost of these are $100 each + postage at cost or pick up from Thornlands in Brisbane.
As I have already paid for these myself, fast payment is expected please.

dmworking247
4th February 2009, 11:43 AM
Thats very generous of you Burra, well done!

mxd
4th February 2009, 11:53 AM
and I will certainly second that, you guys here offer so much, thanks all and PM sent.

Now what CPU do I need :) and here comes the Juke Box.

thanks heaps Burra hopefully I can do something to repay the generosity.

cheers
Matt

David_AVD
4th February 2009, 11:55 AM
I have purchased a few of these & have 3 spare.

In the Aussie Arcade spirit of helping others out Im going to offer them to anyone who missed out.:023:

AskJacob may still want one Richard. I've just pm'd him about it.
If he does, I can use Fastway Courier to send it to him.

AskJacob
4th February 2009, 12:08 PM
AskJacob may still want one Richard. I've just pm'd him about it.
If he does, I can use Fastway Courier to send it to him.

It's great to have someone up north keeping an eye out for me! Cheers David... :D

Burra749
4th February 2009, 12:08 PM
MXD has taken up the offer. 1 Sold. :D

mxd
4th February 2009, 12:24 PM
thanks again.

now to figure out the design ?

Is there a VGA out as well so it can be twin head ?

I assume 15" is too small for Frets on Fire, Singstar ?

Could use this as a juke only, best chance of happening in the short term.

If can dual head could use this as the control panel with another monitor for the music vids, frets, etc.. ? Decisions, decisions.

Burra749
4th February 2009, 12:50 PM
All sold.

Both Claude & AJ are now happy chappies.

Glad I could help some fellow members out. :109:

Claude
4th February 2009, 01:04 PM
Yep, I'm very happy. Thanks for the offer Burra. PM's sent and payment made.

Hoping to use the touch screen PC to control my little CNC router which I will hopefully soon be offering the limited use of (with me driving it) to AA members for simple and small sized jobs at cost.

Cheers,

Claudio

dmworking247
4th February 2009, 01:17 PM
Yep, I'm very happy. Thanks for the offer Burra. PM's sent and payment made.

Hoping to use the touch screen PC to control my little CNC router which I will hopefully soon be offering the limited use of (with me driving it) to AA members for simple and small sized jobs at cost.

Cheers,

Claudio

I would LOVE a CNC router capable of small jobs (< 1m x 1m), but there's no way I'll have the money to invest in one :( Did you buy one or build your own?

Claude
4th February 2009, 01:41 PM
I would LOVE a CNC router capable of small jobs (< 1m x 1m), but there's no way I'll have the money to invest in one :( Did you buy one or build your own?

Long story but I actually have two. One with a ~250mm x ~220mm cutting area and another with a ~550mm x ~230mm cutting area. I'll be selling the smaller one soon, which is almost brand new.

I bought the mechanical side of the machines from a guy in Florida who built them. I then assembled the electronics myself from a kit and bunch of other pieces. Might have to get together with David_AVD as I think he is building a bigger one and I'm also in the Custom A/V industry.

Cheers,

Claudio

dmworking247
8th February 2009, 09:47 PM
Guys I was at the computer fair (http://www.computerfairs.com.au/) today and spotted two vendors who were selling second hand laptop CD-drives that would suit these machines.

They ranged from $10 for a CD-ROM, to $45 for a dual layer DVD burner (second hand).

Make sure you take your little ribbon-to-plug adaptor thing with you (it came with the machine), as there are at least two different standards of these mini-drive plugs.

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 12:49 AM
Hmm I've finally replaced the hdd with a new IDE 80gb, and after an hour or two struggling to get the CD working again, I've formatted the drive and installed the TinyXP disc.

It formatted and installed file, but when it goes to boot XP for the first time it hangs EVERY time with the progress bar in the same spot.

I've tried safe mode and it hung on mup.sys

I'm now reloading TinyXP again, this time I'll select the option not to install any drivers.

Anyone else having consistent hanging issues?

PS: The CPU fan is NOISY and the whole thing runs VERY HOT in my opinion.

Update: Tried TinyXP no drivers, freezes just the same. DAMNIT.

mxd
9th February 2009, 08:14 AM
what spec CPU, I think Woka mentioned he had his running with a slower CPU but felt the higher spex was too hot.

ocdcsv
9th February 2009, 08:18 AM
try installing linux off a live CD and see if that will boot up.

Could be heat related freezing or memory issues. reseat the memory sticks

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 08:26 AM
Its a 2.8ghz cpu. I don't have any other ram to try yet but when I do, I'll swap it over.

If it was temperature related I wouldn't expect it to freeze in exactly the same spot every time.

I'm currently trying to install XP full instead of TinyXP

AskJacob
9th February 2009, 09:21 AM
Its a 2.8ghz cpu. I don't have any other ram to try yet but when I do, I'll swap it over.

If it was temperature related I wouldn't expect it to freeze in exactly the same spot every time.

I'm currently trying to install XP full instead of TinyXP

ah, and the shonk of the mup.sys red herring - that is the last driver loaded before XP is allocated resources (so while it could be mup.sys hanging, usually it is the last thing to WORK, and the process is crapping out at the allocation step following it!)

If the CMOS battery was stuffed, then this could be an area to look:

With the latest service pack there were some resource code rewritten (theoretically for security reasons). Due to this, mobos that have certain resource sets become invalid sometime after SP2 is installed (note: it may not be right away). All that needs to happen on most mobos is for this resource set (the ESCD) to be rewritten. Most "higher-end" motherboards have a setting in the BIOS to say "rewrite ESCD next startup", but not all do.

My motherboard did have that option, but it didn't seem to work anyway.
So the next step would be just to reset the BIOS. All motherboards have a way to do this. Most boards will have a jumper near the battery with which you can do this. Turn off the power on the power suply. Move the jumper over to bridge pin 2 and 3, turn on power suply for 10-15 seconds (if you hit the power button nothing should happen -- that is a good test to see if it is doing what it is supposed to be doing). Turn the power off, wait 10-15 seconds, switch the jumper back to bridge pin 1 and 2. Turn on power, hit power button, your problems should be fixed.

If they are not, your ESCD may be hard coded somehow. The next step is to try to flash your BIOS with the newest version of your BIOS. Check your manual for all the instructions for that (or I'm sure there are plenty of forums that can describe how to do that).

Been a long time since I have seen ESCD cause problems, but then again, it has been ages since I have seen a mobo with a dead cr2032 battery!

Cheers
Jacob

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 09:46 AM
Damnit I was in DSE and Jaycar yesterday and totally forgot about buying a new CR2032 battery. I'm not sure if its flat... its remembering time/date, but who knows.

I'll look in the BIOS for a rewrite ESCD option. Fingers crossed.

Alas, I have a bigger problem right now. The NEW hdd is no longer being recognised this morning. Stupid thing probably cooked in the little oven this thing creates. Grr.

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 02:10 PM
Well I took the battery out and tested it, 3.1v so its fine. I left it out for half hour with the power disconnected to reset the bios. The bios lost its settings as intended, but it hasn't fixed the problem. It continues to freeze consistently.

I suspect a faulty motherboard I'm afraid, but I'll try and find another CPU / memory chip first.

spacies
9th February 2009, 02:13 PM
SMASH IT BRO

WOKA
9th February 2009, 02:25 PM
Double check the heat sinks are all screwed down tightly. Best to alternate from each corner as you tighten.

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 03:12 PM
Double check the heat sinks are all screwed down tightly. Best to alternate from each corner as you tighten.

Yeah they are, I alternated when I tightened them. The CPU is running at about 50 degrees C.

I would figure it'd freeze occassionally elsewhere in the boot, or freeze during Windows installation... or alternatively it'd BOOT after being off for hours if it was temperature related. :(

SMASH IT BRO

Getting tempting!

David_AVD
9th February 2009, 03:24 PM
Are you running one or two ram sticks? Mine doesn't like two sticks installed, only one.

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 03:28 PM
Just the one 256mb chip David... I dont have any spare/compatible parts to exchange with unfortunately.

I'll probably shelve this project until AskJacob receives his, then steal his parts to diagnose mine. :D

felixthadog
9th February 2009, 04:07 PM
Did you try installing the full version of XP? I had an issue with my nLite installation on a PC that would cause the OS to crash at the Windows XP Logo screen, but when I installed the full version of XP there was no problem. Perhaps your TinyXP installation is the problem? :unsure

Matthew

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah I tried a full XP install, no good either.

WOKA
9th February 2009, 04:17 PM
I had issues too when installing XP.. The PC didn't freeze, it just rebooted half way through install. I swapped out the CPU to a P4 2.0 and it loaded fine, I then swapped the P4 2.8 back in and it still seems fine.

Heat and memory are the two common issues that others have had with these items, but none have had total failure to the point of

SMASHING THEM...

Arcade King
9th February 2009, 07:25 PM
well just got mine booting using the CPU you gave me Woka (cheers mate)
It wouldn't boot up with my 512 meg stick of ram in DIMM2 so make sure its in dimm 1 if your only using 1 stick of ram.
Will let you guys know how i got installing windows. I'm going to use Tiny XP rev8

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 07:28 PM
How exactly was it 'not booting' AK? No POST?

I have tried my DIMM in both slots, no change. I'm using TinyXP Rev6 but tried full XP too.

Good luck getting past the Windows loading screen!

Arcade King
9th February 2009, 07:33 PM
all i got was "no signal" then the screen went blank. I saw another stick of ram upstairs i may try 2.

Thing wouldn't touch the p4 1.7 i originally had in it.

David_AVD
9th February 2009, 09:16 PM
So far, I've only tried one CPU, a 3.00GHz P4 with no issues.

RAM wise, I've tried:
Dynet DNKM5U512B8TE-A4 512MB DDR400 - didn't work at all. (no post - may be bad ram?)
Hynix PC3200U-30330 256MB DDR400 - works well, but only with one stick. (no post with two sticks)
Kingston KVR333X64C25/512 512MB - works well - only tested with one stick.
Kingmax MPXC22F-38KT3R 512MB DDR400 - works well - only tested with one stick.

I'm typing this on the touch screen PC now. Will try the other 3.00GHz P4 I have now.

EDIT:
Just tried my other 3.00GHz P4 and that seems ok too.
Also tried using two sticks of RAM - 1x 256MB & 1x 512MB seems to work.
Using two of the same size does not work at all. (not even post)
Have left this unit with one stick of 512MB (in blue cooler) and all seems good.

dmworking247
9th February 2009, 10:06 PM
David, if it turns out that my CPU or RAM is faulty, have you got spares to sell?

mxd
9th February 2009, 10:34 PM
just got mine, I put 2x512mb in, 1 2.4 Intel in and a old 20 gig HDD that I had, turned it one and started to load linux (must have been what was on the old HDD.

So then I got an old laptop (PII 550) and pulled the CD Drive out, but the connector for the drvice was too wide, must be some older type of connector.

So then I triec a current Tiny XP HDD that I have, put that in. it started to boot windows, but then I got a bluescreen telling me there was a virus or something like that. I assume it was cause the mobo, ram, cpu, components, mac address, etc.. was all different.

So now I just need to get drive and then try to install it again.
Hey I just found the manual might even read that :)

David_AVD
9th February 2009, 10:37 PM
David, if it turns out that my CPU or RAM is faulty, have you got spares to sell?

I only have 2 CPU's and even then one was pinched from a perfectly good system. I'm not sure what (if anything) I'll have left over after I get my two running. :unsure

mxd
9th February 2009, 11:09 PM
just read the manual (english Verson) it refers to section 2.5 to 2.7 for installing CD, HDD and RAM but those sections don't exist.

So now for my silly Q's what do you do with the RAM "barriers" ?

cheers
Matt

David_AVD
9th February 2009, 11:34 PM
Those two blue sides clip together at the top and wrap around one ram stick. The two little chrome clips hold it all on. They only supply enough bits to cover one ram stick but you can only really use one anyway.

mxd
10th February 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm running 2 x 512's at the momenmt, maybe just need the protection on the one the is closest to CPU ?

David_AVD
10th February 2009, 01:28 PM
There are only 10 types of people in the world ?
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I only just noticed this. Very good.

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal,
how many people understand hexadecimal?

57005 by any chance?

stuba
10th February 2009, 02:01 PM
I only just noticed this. Very good.

57005 by any chance?

ha. i actually get that (with some help from excel). not bad. building up to having another go at mine. so far i haven't been able to get anything from a 1.7, a 1.8 and a 2.8 processor. only using 1 stick ram 1 gig but haven't tested cmos battery. will try that tonight. faaarrck :017:

Arcade King
10th February 2009, 08:19 PM
Maybe try a 512 meg stick Stu? maybe it doesn't like your memory.

I haven't had any luck installing windows, I just get half was through the install then I get a disk error (cant read) I believe David was saying in chat last nigh he had the same issues when trying to slave the CDROM on a single ATA cable. I've just bought a used lappy CD rom off ebay so we shall see if this works.

mxd
10th February 2009, 09:21 PM
for the RAM I am using 2 x 512 DDR 2100-

Didn't the original ebay Add mentio only 1 gig max, and min 2.? CPU ?

I can't find the add/thread to check

Burra749
10th February 2009, 09:26 PM
for the RAM I am using 2 x 512 DDR 2100-

Didn't the original ebay Add mentio only 1 gig max, and min 2.? CPU ?

I can't find the add/thread to check

Standard basic configuration (No RAM HDD CPU and DVD)

Display: 15"TFT LCD Resolution 1024*768
TouchScreen: 4 Wire Resistive
Chipset: Intel865 Socket 478
VGA: Integrated
Lan Card: 10/100MB
Audio: 6-channel Ac97
USB: 4 x USB2.0/1.1 (BIOS Settable)
Parallel: ?1
Serial: ?2
Kb&M: KB Ps2 / M PS2
Power Adapter: AC Input:100-240V DC Output:19V-8A (Included)

OPTIONS

CPU: C4/P4 2.13-3.2GHz 800/533/400MHz FSB
Harddisk: 80-250G(3.5")
Menory: 256-1024M DDR2
CD/DVD Drive: Std Slimline Combo - IDE adaptor included
Card Reader: Swipe, Mifare, TI Smart

mxd
10th February 2009, 10:58 PM
interesting I'm running DDR not DDR2 ?

the CD drive I pulled out from my old notebook did fit, I just didn't pull it apart enough, so I put it in, put HDD in and got the no signal. so I took it out and put HDD in that I mentioned last night and still no signal, I am going to assume it's a battery prob, as I don't get any BIOS stuff ??

I think I will also not worying about the CD and try to boot from a USB Key ?

cheers
Matt

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I took the battery out and turned it on, same thing no signal, so I will work with the assumption its a battery problem.

For those that have it working what RAM are you using DDR or DDR2, what size HDD, any tried above the 250 ?

cheers and good night.

Matt

David_AVD
10th February 2009, 11:07 PM
Mine worked using 3.00GHz P4, 256MB or 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM and a 80GB HDD.

DDR2 has more pins (240) than DDR (184) AFAIK.

mxd
10th February 2009, 11:12 PM
mmm, my chip just says DDR 2100, I think, will check tommorow night when when I pull it apart again.

mxd
11th February 2009, 08:43 AM
just tested my battery and as flat as a tack, will buy new one then hopefully all works

mxd
11th February 2009, 10:09 PM
Ok put the new battery in turned it on and go the same problem "no signal" so pulled RAM out put it back in, tapped foot and now it boots :unsure

went into BIOS, updated some stuff, I think it looks fine but it does not see my CD driver, the drive powers on, can hear the disc spinning but it will not get recognised.

Have I forgotten to do something in the BIOS, could my drive just be broke, I don't think there are any dip switched that need to be played with ?

I forgot to burn a boot image onto my USB key, so will try that tomorrow night, I have an external CD drive, but it's scsi so that's no good. Might try to find another drive and give that a shot.

N.B
I assume I have the drive wired in correctly as it powers up ??

dmworking247
11th February 2009, 10:16 PM
mxd, I had to fiddle with the ribbon connector to get my drive to work. It was really difficult to push in all the way... it felt like it was connected, but it wasn't down far enough.

Additionally, make sure your HDD is on cable select... although I think the CD gets detected as 'secondary slave'.

mxd
12th February 2009, 07:57 AM
thanks Dale will do.

I hope the following makes sence to those with the POS PC:

For the CD cable, the end that plugs into the CD Drive has a blue "support" section to allow it to be jammed in to the drive. For me when I have the cable jammed in the top of the blue "support" is level with the top of the drive.

e.g when the cable is in if I bend the cable, towards the drive, the cable would wrap smothly over the drive (from back to front). Does this appear not to be pushed in far enough, as my thought were the cable was not in far enough and I kept trying but this was as good as I got. And it is a bithch to try and get in.

cheers
Matt

N.B my drive is a noisy farker

dmworking247
12th February 2009, 08:52 AM
That sounds like its in far enough (if the bend is flush with the top of the drive) but that assumes our drives are the same thickness.

Interestingly though, I recall the bend of my cable being AWAY from my drive, not over the top of it?

mxd
12th February 2009, 10:18 AM
it does go away from the back, I just found it easier to describe the other way

Arcade King
12th February 2009, 07:38 PM
I've given up on this POS for now, I bought a second hand lappy CDROM off ebay but I think its a dud, thing detects and spins but wont auto boot to install windows so im guessing its not reading at all. I cant see anything coming out of the laser...grrrrr over it.

dmworking247
12th February 2009, 08:34 PM
AK, I feel your pain. One option is to install XP in another PC (and turn it off just after its copied the files across, but before it reboots and starts detecting hardware) then put it in your screen.

Its probably a stupid question because you know your stuff, but if the CDROM is detected in the bios, did you make sure you changed your boot sequence? Because its FDD>HDD>CDROM by default.

Arcade King
12th February 2009, 08:46 PM
yeah mate done that no go.
I download SLAX that USB bootable Linux distro and that worked fine.

dmworking247
12th February 2009, 08:49 PM
So it was your Windows disc being a pain in the ass then?

It sounds like these "POS" units are living up to both interpretations of their acronym! :D

Arcade King
12th February 2009, 08:54 PM
nah mate I mean I made a linux bootable USB flash thing and booted the POS of it. Quite a nice interface I like it!
Just trying to figure out how to access the CD rom in it :b its got some freeware cd burning proggy that detects it but cant see it in the drives folder :b

mxd
13th February 2009, 09:00 AM
Hey guys,

well I got mine running last night, I am POSITIVE I am drunning DDR (a 512 PC2100 and a 512 PC3200) those who are running could I just check that you are using DDR or DDR2.

Here's a quick and dirty vid with the start of my juke N.B 1am this morning

YouTube - MP3 touch screen jukebox

David_AVD
13th February 2009, 09:12 AM
well I got mine running last night, I am POSITIVE I am drunning DDR (a 512 PC2100 and a 512 PC3200) those who are running could I just check that you are using DDR or DDR2.
Mine is DDR. DDR2 has more pins and won't fit anyway.

mxd
13th February 2009, 09:19 AM
thanks for that, I knew DDR2 would not fit in 2 a DDR slot (and vice versa) but the spec said DDR2 and I thought someonw on this thread mentioned DDR2, but that was just an misunderstanding.

mxd
16th February 2009, 08:53 AM
The saga continues. I decided to goto XP instead of TinyXP, so I put the OS on, copied eveything across, set it all up again, then I noticed the jukebox prog would not work ? So I thought I would just go back to TinyXP, so put a disk in and things went downhill from there.

'i386\biosinfo.inf error code 4096'

I now have above error, I have used google, tried various things in the threads. I have removed the battery from mobo to reset bios. I have used hirens boot disk to delete partitions, I have swapped HDD's. I can get into the BIOS. Sometimes during intall (it fails just after "investagting" your H/W) it fails in the xp install when it is evaluating hardware, I have had errors about HAL as well. etc...

I tried a ubuntu disk and then appeared to get page file errors, one of the guys at work thought it could be the IDE controller ?

thanks
Matt

AskJacob
16th February 2009, 09:13 AM
The saga continues. I decided to goto XP instead of TinyXP, so I put the OS on, copied eveything across, set it all up again, then I noticed the jukebox prog would not work ? So I thought I would just go back to TinyXP, so put a disk in and things went downhill from there.

'i386\biosinfo.inf error code 4096'

I now have above error, I have used google, tried various things in the threads. I have removed the battery from mobo to reset bios. I have used hirens boot disk to delete partitions, I have swapped HDD's. I can get into the BIOS. Sometimes during intall (it fails just after "investagting" your H/W) it fails in the xp install when it is evaluating hardware, I have had errors about HAL as well. etc...

I tried a ubuntu disk and then appeared to get page file errors, one of the guys at work thought it could be the IDE controller ?

thanks
Matt

I haven't got so far as bios myself yet (need the right processor) but is there an option to "reset ESCD data" in there somewhere?

If you are removing the battery to reset the bios, keep in mind you may need to leave it 15-60 mins before the bios sram goes blank. Usually 2 mins or so is enough, but I have been caught out before!

Cheers
Jacob

spacies
16th February 2009, 09:20 AM
See post #43 for the answer to your problems.

AskJacob
16th February 2009, 09:25 AM
See post #43 for the answer to your problems.

:lol

Felt like that on Sat, when all I got was "No Signal".

My fault though, I'm using a processor "too old" for the chipset...

David_AVD
16th February 2009, 09:26 AM
The saga continues.

Are you using a laptop drive or did you piggy a regular cdrom drive onto the primary ide port?

mxd
16th February 2009, 09:56 AM
a laptop cd drive, it's basically the same setup I had when I made the vid (i.e it was all working)

----------

as another thing I noticed my HDD now comes up as a primary slave where it was originally a primary master, the HDD is set up cable select.

AdamC
16th February 2009, 10:19 AM
So fellas, nice bargain you all bought , hey ??? :lol:lol:lol:lol

dmworking247
16th February 2009, 10:34 AM

Watch it biatch... or we'll ... umm.. we'll... err... ah fk it I've got nothing.

mxd
16th February 2009, 10:44 AM

I've got the memories, see post 80 :)

David_AVD
16th February 2009, 10:45 AM

Mine works fine. Had it ripping DVD's yesterday!:p

AdamC
16th February 2009, 10:56 AM

SHHHHHh David .. dont tell the other fellas !

dmworking247
16th February 2009, 11:03 AM

Thats because you got to the sellers place first, stripped all the best parts and made a working one, and left us with all the dodgey bits :D

David_AVD
16th February 2009, 11:15 AM
Thats because you got to the sellers place first, stripped all the best parts and made a working one, and left us with all the dodgey bits :D

Yes :evil .... err... I mean no! :059:

Claude
16th February 2009, 12:18 PM
I was finally able to pick mine up from Burra yesterday. Thanks again mate.

The first thing I did last night was open it up and pop the CR2032 battery out and check the voltage, which was about 0.5v so I replaced it with a fresh one.

This morning I pulled apart my working Dell PC which is currently running my CNC machine. It's got a 2.53GHz P4, 2 x 256MB DDR PC2700, 80GB hard disk. Perfect!

Plugged all the bits in to the Touch Screen PC and it booted into Windows XP off the Dell hard disk but then told me I had to register windows before logging in. I guess Dell (or Microsoft) lock all their windows installs so they can only be used on their machines.

I don't seem to have the right laptop CDROM just yet, but it's good to know the system works so far and we got a real bargain Adam :)

Going to try get an image of something bootable off a USB stick and see what happens.

Cheers,

Claudio

AskJacob
16th February 2009, 12:28 PM
Plugged all the bits in to the Touch Screen PC and it booted into Windows XP off the Dell hard disk but then told me I had to register windows before logging in. I guess Dell (or Microsoft) lock all their windows installs so they can only be used on their machines.

Claudio

Maybe, but more than likely the base hardware has changed enough to trigger the license expiration.

Couldn't you use the key on the sticker on the old PC? I've been able to do that before with no problems... (although not with a Dell)

Cheers
Jacob

Claude
16th February 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe, but more than likely the base hardware has changed enough to trigger the license expiration.

Couldn't you use the key on the sticker on the old PC? I've been able to do that before with no problems... (although not with a Dell)

Cheers
Jacob

I'll give that a shot thanks Jacob.

Edit: Tried to register but had to do it on-line (not connected to the net just yet) or by phone which I did. After a few goes at the automated system, I spoke to someone in India who informed me that the Dell (or most other) pre-installed Windows XP licences can only be used on that original computer and not moved to another even if I move the whole hard disk (and CPU & memory). I've got a few other original retail XP licences that I will try once I get a suitable CDROM drive sorted out.

mxd
16th February 2009, 12:59 PM
I assume you took the surround off the Dell CD ?

Claude
16th February 2009, 01:49 PM
I assume you took the surround off the Dell CD ?

The Dell I butchered is a desktop, not a laptop so I'm trying to find a suitable laptop drive.

mxd
16th February 2009, 01:56 PM
heres a link to installing xp from usb stick
http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

I tried this when I was incestaging why I couldn't install again.

You need to change the BIOS, you can force the stick to be seen as a CD, then change your boot sequence.

cheers
Matt

felixthadog
16th February 2009, 02:11 PM
I tried this when I was incestaging why I couldn't install again.

:o

Matthew

mxd
16th February 2009, 02:55 PM
whoops

Claude
16th February 2009, 04:47 PM
Well after trying to figure out how to create a bootable USB flash drive with TinyXP or something else, I was looking around and spotted another possible candidate for a CD-ROM drive - only problem was it was installed in my wifes laptop.

I managed to remove it very easily and only had to unscrew a very small bracket and wacked it straight into the Touch Screen PC and it fit perfectly, front cover and all. Even works!

Now I wonder how long it will take for my wife to realise she no longer has a CD-ROM drive in her laptop. I guess the gaping hole is a bit of a giveaway :)

Anyway, after a bit of fiddling with the BIOS settings I was able to get an original XP install to kick off which is in progress as I type.

Before changing the BIOS settings, I tried loading TinyXP but it would reboot during the install (as it should) but would just get to the same point and reboot again without finishing the install. The same happend with the original XP install until I changed the BIOS settings. Once this install finishes, I'll try and document what I changed.

Hopefully the install will finish and the system works as it should, otherwise Adam and others might be right and we don't want that!!

Cheers,

Claudio

mxd
16th February 2009, 05:21 PM
mmm, Dales has the reboot prob, hope it all succeeds

Claude
16th February 2009, 05:42 PM
It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that some issues appear to be related to the BIOS settings which obviously get reset when the CR2032 battery is replaced.

I got over the reboot issue and the original windows xp installed fine, but then it couldn't see my CDROM drive when running XP. A bit weird as the BIOS sees it and the O/S was installed from it.

I'm fiddling a little more with the BIOS and am trying TinyXP again.

dmworking247
16th February 2009, 05:51 PM
Mine isn't a reboot problem, its a lockup issue.

I boot off XP Pro or TinyXP installation disc, it installs (copies all the files ok) then does the (expected) reboot.

It should then boot up and show the GUI for the first time when it detects/installs hardware, configures the clock etc.

Instead, it locks on this screen booting for the first time:

http://i28.tinypic.com/swbyn7.jpg

AdamC
16th February 2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe you should do a step-by-step driver startup ? See where it hangs ?

dmworking247
16th February 2009, 06:33 PM
Isn't safe mode meant to do something like that, ie with only generic 'safe' drivers? It hangs during safe mode after loading mup.sys too

Claude
17th February 2009, 10:43 PM
Well I kept having reboot issues where during the very last few minutes of installing original XP (happens to be media centre edition), the PC would reboot and not complete the installation. This then prevented me from installing the touch screen and other drivers that came with the system, amongst other things.

Anyway, I decided to remove the RAM I had (2 x different brand 256MB DDR) and installed a single 512MB stick and tried installing TinyXP and it worked this time. I was then able to install all the drivers that came with the system and it's working great at this stage.

So not too sure if it's the fact I had 2 different RAM sticks (probably different speed) or what, but I'll try and do some further experimenting when I get a chance.

The touch screen works great, so far only tested it on standard windows programs including solitaire.

Cheers,

Claudio

Arcade King
18th February 2009, 07:09 AM
I got tiny XP to install from CD last night, I've tried 4 CDROMS and with each I got some CD read error. I took Davids advice and bought a lappy cdrom after going through 2 of them off Ebay I finally got one that works and got the same error WTF!
I tried something savage suggested to me about a week ago and burnt the install CD at a low speed (4X) everything installed without a hitch...bloody weird.

David_AVD
18th February 2009, 07:26 AM
Well I kept having reboot issues where during the very last few minutes of installing original XP (happens to be media centre edition), the PC would reboot and not complete the installation. This then prevented me from installing the touch screen and other drivers that came with the system, amongst other things.

Anyway, I decided to remove the RAM I had (2 x different brand 256MB DDR) and installed a single 512MB stick and tried installing TinyXP and it worked this time. I was then able to install all the drivers that came with the system and it's working great at this stage.

I think the guy we bought them off did warn of possible instability when using two sticks of ram. He recommended one stick only. As there is only one set of ram case parts, this is probably the way to go.

WOKA
18th February 2009, 10:05 AM
Ak - if you have a spare lappy CD Rom, I'll fix you up for one..

Claude
18th February 2009, 10:10 AM
I was just thinking the same.

----------

I think the guy we bought them off did warn of possible instability when using two sticks of ram. He recommended one stick only. As there is only one set of ram case parts, this is probably the way to go.

Yeah I should have gone back and re-read this whole thread which sort of mentions this somewhere.

What is the RAM case for? Does it reduce EMI from the CPU or RAM or something like that?

Cheers,

Claudio

AskJacob
18th February 2009, 10:18 AM
I was just thinking the same.

----------

Yeah I should have gone back and re-read this whole thread which sort of mentions this somewhere.

What is the RAM case for? Does it reduce EMI from the CPU or RAM or something like that?

Cheers,

Claudio

Meant to be a heat-spreader, but looking at the tape inside, to me looks a bit like a ram-cooker. I sure hope that foamy looking tape is actually heat conducting!

Could possibly be left off really - not really convinced they can make mush difference to the heat of the ram :unsure

stuba
18th February 2009, 10:38 AM
woo hoo! had a win last night. i bought two of them and after much frustration with the first thought i would try the second one. installed 1 stick 1 gig 3200 and p4 2.8, borrowed a 80 gig drive from a wreck and not only does the thing start it actually boots XP of the drive with no dramas other than the usual new hardware crap. i was only hoping to see a bios kick. don't have a cd for it but about to canibalise an old laptop. the TS bit not working but in searching for hardware it said something about installing a driver for that? i will do a clean install when i find a cd drive.

re- examined the first one afterwards and think i found the fault. where the wires go up to the start button a little red one has snapped off its terminal. pretty sure this is the prob. however, the wire is the thickness of a pube and the terminal is the size of ants dick. david (??? pls ???). can you pm me your phone number when you see this. i'm at home today so could drop over there (have to get that cap?) later today...if you can help. cheers

Claude
18th February 2009, 11:29 AM
That's great Stuba. They all seem to be coming together now.

Have you loaded all programs off the drivers disk provided, including the touch screen drivers and run the touch screen setup utility? Calibrated the screen?

By the way, you should be able to contact David on the number on his website http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/contacts.php

Key things to get the thing going based on what others have found so far;

- replace the CR2032 battery
- use only one stick of memory in slot 1 (DDR)
- use P4 CPU's of 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz (or maybe up to 3.2GHz)
- make sure you apply enough heat sink paste and that the CPU is securley tightened down
- set your hard disk to Master (or cable select?)
- use a laptop CD or DVD ROM drive (50 pin ATAPI) and remove all extra brackets
- load all drivers from disk provided, including touch screen drivers
- calibrate screen using included utility

Have I forgotten anything?

Cheers,

Claudio

WOKA
18th February 2009, 11:33 AM
Make sure you apply enough heat sink paste and that the CPU is securley tightened down..

Claude
18th February 2009, 11:39 AM
Make sure you apply enough heat sink paste and that the CPU is securley tightened down..

Thanks, it's been added.

By the way, I just ended up using generic heat sink compound not a PC CPU specific one. Is there a difference?

mxd
18th February 2009, 12:43 PM
mine's back :038:

The problem I had was the CD drive was on the way out, towards the end it started killing the disks :088: but that led me to try and replace the CD Drive.

At the moment it's installing drivers etc.. so hopefully it all gets back up and running

stuba
18th February 2009, 03:15 PM
second one fixed. big thankyou to david (AVD) who has bionic vision and soldering skills to match! what a cool place he has too, showed me some custom boards he's made. WOW!

anyway, i think these things are going to be good now we've decoded the ins and outs! thanks claude for your summary.
:)

AskJacob
18th February 2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe worth gutting for the touchscreen machines:

http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?itemid=6867009&tid=12812128

Comes with an XP attached license too

:unsure

Claude
18th February 2009, 04:08 PM
I would say the xp licence is locked to dell only hardware, like I encountered the other day.

AskJacob
18th February 2009, 04:11 PM
I would say the xp licence is locked to dell only hardware, like I encountered the other day.

Oh, so no win there then with yours?

Bugger.

Claude
18th February 2009, 04:13 PM
Oh, so no win there then with yours?

Bugger.

Nope. Had to register on-line or by phone and chose the phone option. When I spoke to Microsoft, they told me that pre-installed XP licences like this could only be used on the original hardware.

Arcade King
18th February 2009, 04:33 PM
I forgot to mention while i had the case open last night something went poof. Looks like one of the speaker wires was dodgy and shorted out somewhere. Thing still boots fine but I hope it hasn't done any damage.
That'll learn me to take the power cable out.

----------

Ak - if you have a spare lappy CD Rom, I'll fix you up for one..

mate you can have the second one if you can get it to work.

mxd
18th February 2009, 04:49 PM
Nope. Had to register on-line or by phone and chose the phone option. When I spoke to Microsoft, they told me that pre-installed XP licences like this could only be used on the original hardware.

the application here could assist you ;)
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm

dmworking247
18th February 2009, 04:54 PM
AskJacob, have you got yours yet?

AskJacob
18th February 2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah mate, I got it. I only have a 1.6 P4 which it won't boot on (was pretty sure it wouldn't, but tried anyway :)). I lost my lead on a 2.4 (someone already nabbed it) so it's in the too hard basket until I get back from my holidays :D

cheers
Jacob

David_AVD
18th February 2009, 08:56 PM

On a related note, I used the Compaq XP Home licence (actually marked Compaq on MS sticker) on mine and it registered with no problems.

AskJacob
18th February 2009, 09:11 PM
On a related note, I used the Compaq XP Home licence (actually marked Compaq on MS sticker) on mine and it registered with no problems.

Did some research and got this far:

With system builder releases, anything before feb 2005 will install with the key on the sticker.

After that date, if the sticker says "OEM" then the sticker key MAY work. If the sticker says "dell" or "other big box brand" then they WONT work, and are most likely to also be locked to a particular BIOS too.

Yes there is a bit of tooling about that can be done to get an OEM working, but seems like it would be more tempting to "borrow from another source".

Cheers
Jacob

stuba
18th February 2009, 09:36 PM
wasn't able to get cd drive going but given i had a booting OS and network i mapped over network to one and was able to install touch screen app and other drivers required. what a cool TS app. very impressed. now whats the best jukebox software to use?

WOKA
18th February 2009, 09:37 PM
SKJUKEBOX..!

(next)

acejas
18th February 2009, 09:58 PM
SKJUKEBOX..!

(next)

pffft great for buttons...crap for touchscreen

freejukebox stu hands down

Brad
19th February 2009, 08:03 AM
Waits for someone to chime in with PartyTime Jukebox LOL

Brad

mxd
19th February 2009, 09:12 AM
unclet's :)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=20886

Claude
19th February 2009, 11:44 AM
After successfully getting the system going on TinyXP with 1 x 512MB DDR stick, I decided to try and re-load the full XP media centre addition. Unfortunately it ended up rebooting just before completion again so there is still something wrong there. Might be specific to media centre edition - not sure. So same issues with RPC server when loading the driver disk and Windows XP help isn't there along with a few other programs.

So I reloaded TinyXP, which I have a feeling also reboots before full completion, but doesn't seem to show me any problems with driver loading, etc.

So the system still works so I might leave it as is for the moment. Next test will be to run my CNC machine with it, especially given I've cannibalised the PC which was running it. And my wife still hasn't realised she's missing a CDROM drive off of her laptop :)

By the way, Crayon Physics is very cool on the touch screen!

Cheers,

Claudio

mxd
19th February 2009, 11:45 AM
could give xbmc a shot

http://xbmc.org/media/

Claude
19th February 2009, 11:48 AM
I won't be using it as a media centre PC, it was just the first lot of windows disks I got my hands on here. I only really wanted XP anyway, so TinyXP should do the trick.

XBMC is a very cool product and I use it on an xbox and am testing it out on an AppleTV. Tried it on Windows as well.

Cheers,

Claudio

Arcade King
19th February 2009, 05:04 PM
man this touch screen stuff is cool :D typing this on my POS...these really are a POS.

Claude
19th February 2009, 06:04 PM
Anyone using a Touch Screen Keyboard app yet?

Found this free one;

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/Click_N_Type_41112_p/

Any other apps out there that might be useful?

Cheers

Claudio

Arcade King
19th February 2009, 06:32 PM
there one inbuilt in windows under Accessories/Accessibility

Claude
19th February 2009, 06:39 PM
Doh! Forgot about that one.

The one I mentioned is resizable, so handy for fat fingers like mine.

Arcade King
19th February 2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah the windows one is a bit sucky like that.

Stubaloo
19th February 2009, 07:30 PM
If anyone is looking for slimline CDROM drives (from the likes of GX150, 270 etc) I have a little stash. I do not know if they will fit the cable you speak of but they can be supplied with an IDE to CD cable that will allow it to plug into your secondary IDE controller (again if it has one)

If you need one, sling me a shot (photo) of the ribbon cable and I can check it for you. Or if you have a secondary IDE port on the board that is standard 40 pin then I have the cable for the drives I have.

A nominal charge will apply of course (cable will be extra) and shipping should be relatively minimal. Let me know what you need and I will sort a price. I will only part with 2 or 3 of these by the way - it isn't an offer to anyone and everyone.

Regards
Stu

dmworking247
19th February 2009, 09:13 PM
If I need to buy a new CPU or memory (since my POS is still totally faulty), can someone confirm what I'm looking for?

Socket 478 CPU , P4 2.x Ghz. Right? 533 or 800 FSB?

"DDR1" memory, what speed? 400 or 333? Known as PC3200 or PC2700 respectively right?

narf_
19th February 2009, 09:18 PM
ill give ya a $1 for it :lol

nah bugga dale on it being up the shitter

dmworking247
19th February 2009, 09:28 PM
ill give ya a $1 for it :lol

nah bugga dale on it being up the shitter

Yeah tell me about it, I had such high hopes for the project I was going to do with this touch screen :(

I wouldn't mind the mobo being a bitch if I could interface a regular mobo with the LCD, but its all integrated, no VGA cable. Bleh.

WOKA
19th February 2009, 09:35 PM
The CPU and RAM that I sent to Dale was working fine.. It was pulled from a working machine.

I can (hopefully) send you an 80Gb Hdd with Windows preinstalled if you like.. I Ghosted the 80 to a 500Gb Hdd today, so the 80 is surplus, providing no one from work has nabbed it..

dmworking247
19th February 2009, 09:43 PM
Woka, I really appreciate you sending those parts! I'm just looking at options for trial & error diagnosis. It just doesn't make sense that it keeps hanging at the same spot. Grrr.

I wouldn't worry about a ghosted hdd yet, the HDD I bought for it is brand new. I just worry that if you went to all the trouble to ghost a working image, I'd put it in there and it'd still freeze on boot. It just seems that as soon as Windows starts kickig in the 'advanced' hardware functions, it dies.

Any chance someone with a FULLY WORKING POS could somehow grab their bios settings so I could double check mine (eg photos), or has everybody gotten away with stock standard/factory defaults?

Arcade King
19th February 2009, 09:47 PM
testing stupid on screen keyboard 12233sahhhhhs **** it

WOKA
19th February 2009, 09:57 PM
Woka, I really appreciate you sending those parts! I'm just looking at options for trial & error diagnosis. It just doesn't make sense that it keeps hanging at the same spot. Grrr.

I wouldn't worry about a ghosted hdd yet, the HDD I bought for it is brand new. I just worry that if you went to all the trouble to ghost a working image, I'd put it in there and it'd still freeze on boot. It just seems that as soon as Windows starts kickig in the 'advanced' hardware functions, it dies.

Any chance someone with a FULLY WORKING POS could somehow grab their bios settings so I could double check mine (eg photos), or has everybody gotten away with stock standard/factory defaults?

The only change I made to the BIOS was the boot sequence.. Oh, and to throw another spanner in the works, mine is running on 2 x sticks of DDR.. Most are reporting null results with 2 x sticks..

No prob with the Hdd DM, its all ready ghosted. I can just pop it into the post on Monday, off to Byron tomorrow so no can do then. I can also include another 478 processor for you to try, I've got a Celeron somewhere, so its yours if you want to try it out for trouble shooting purposes.. Remember that I had issues trying to install XP with my 2.8.. Slipped in a 2.0, loaded without issue, then swapped in the 2.8 and so far so good..

dmworking247
19th February 2009, 10:42 PM
The only change I made to the BIOS was the boot sequence.. Oh, and to throw another spanner in the works, mine is running on 2 x sticks of DDR.. Most are reporting null results with 2 x sticks..

No prob with the Hdd DM, its all ready ghosted. I can just pop it into the post on Monday, off to Byron tomorrow so no can do then. I can also include another 478 processor for you to try, I've got a Celeron somewhere, so its yours if you want to try it out for trouble shooting purposes.. Remember that I had issues trying to install XP with my 2.8.. Slipped in a 2.0, loaded without issue, then swapped in the 2.8 and so far so good..

You're a deadset legend. Thanks for offering so much help! No obligation or rush mate, and let me know if/how I can return the favour.

----------

Edit: I just noticed the Bios said:

Memory frequency 266mhz.

Wouldn't a 2.8ghz cpu run at a bus speed that requires 333 or 400 memory?

WOKA
19th February 2009, 10:44 PM
400 I would have thought..?

Just loaded all drivers (video / sound / Lan / Touch), so far so good.. Fast too.

dmworking247
19th February 2009, 11:07 PM
It was set to 266 in bios, so I set it to auto, and it comes up as 333 now.

Just for laughs I installed TinyXP from scratch again, this time with the option no IE/MP/etc and no drivers.

It installed the files, rebooted, went to load Windows for the first time, and froze in the usual spot. 100% reliable fault! :/

Unrelated: To top it off I bought a genuine 360 controller to improve the already shoddy experience of GTAIV on PC, and the 17mb drivers crash 100% of the time, reinstalling doesnt help. FFS I can't catch a break, thanks for your QA Microsoft.

Claude
23rd February 2009, 07:17 PM
Well I finally got around to setting up the Touch Screen PC on my little CNC Router and it all works as advertised.

The controller I have plugs into the parallel port which then controls the 3 stepper motors on the CNC Router (1 per axis).

I'll try and get to the next AA gathering and bring it along and cut some pinball and arcade related stuff.

Thanks again to Burra for buying up a few extras and saving them for other AA members. I owe you a few beers!

Cheers,

Claudio

AskJacob
7th April 2009, 01:14 PM
Finally have mine up and running. 2.4 processor, 256mb ram and a 20gb hdd (the only hdd I could find that worked)

For those who need 'em:

latest chipset drivers are http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1044

latest video drivers are http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

latest audio drivers are http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Touchscreen drivers are http://www.eelyecw.com/eelyeng/download/download.htm
Cheers
Jacob

AskJacob
28th January 2010, 02:56 PM
hmmm after sitting on my work desk for the past 6 months, I finally gave in and tried to fix this thing :/

It was it set up, you know how it is with the software just about right - and then the HDD died. Replaced that to have the LCD do a very trippy fade to white, then blue.

And that is all it would do when powered on. No "no signal" just buggered.

Stuff me if the damn thing powered up right away when I tried it yesterday!

BUT...

a lot of time with "XP setup cannot copy file xxxx.yyy" problems, and so on.

And then while figuring that out, again back to the knackered white/blue screen of doom.

ARGH

Randomly get it to boot, the "cannot copy file" issue is most often related to RAM, so I boot up memtestx86, and it happily states all is well (left it through 3 cycles even).

Damnit if the problem wasn't ram though - I removed the suss stick (suss as it looked off-brand) and the thing has been humming away nicely now.

Looks like this mobo is EXTREMELY sensitive to ram issues, even if they work in another machine (or test ok in memtest!).

My assumption for the the white-blue screen is that the gfx uses shared ram, and some of that shared space was also in the dodgy ram stick.

I bloody hope. If that screen comes back I will cry and throw this thing HARD.

PS I am happy I linked the drivers in the post above - I just needed them!

Cheers
Jacob

Arcade King
28th January 2010, 04:19 PM
I just got mine stable for the first time since i've had it. turned out to the the CPU was overheating. Had to clamp down the heatsink and use a lot more paste. Haven't had a issue since.

narf_
28th January 2010, 05:39 PM
mine from dale worked a treat

only sold it to cut back on projects. made good coin which bought more toys anyways :lol

dmworking247
28th January 2010, 09:05 PM
mine from dale worked a treat

only sold it to cut back on projects. made good coin which bought more toys anyways :lol

I wonder how many more threads I'm going to be reminded of that in ;)

narf_
28th January 2010, 11:41 PM
sorry mate

sadly ive sold alot of goodies last year especially last 6 months. But know that will hopefully stop since ive been given confirmation orders that i am a solo guy :redface

dmworking247
29th January 2010, 09:02 AM
sorry mate

sadly ive sold alot of goodies last year especially last 6 months. But know that will hopefully stop since ive been given confirmation orders that i am a solo guy :redface

I'm only stirring mate, I got what I needed for it, and hopefully the cash you made allows you to afford a bigger scope, as per your signature ;)

acejas
29th January 2010, 10:43 AM
what kind of dollars Narf? thinking of selling mine