PDA

View Full Version : When Does MGL Start Again?

wingtipvortex
28th January 2009, 02:37 PM
We cant be to far away now?

DKong
28th January 2009, 02:51 PM
We cant be to far away now?

Good question, I suppose it will be up to Amy and expressions of interest.
I'm keen :D

DKong
29th January 2009, 01:25 AM
We are all keen MGL, MGL :D

Comon Amy we need you babe

wingtipvortex
29th January 2009, 02:12 AM
MGL MGL MGL

spaceballs
29th January 2009, 10:36 PM
im keen as i missed out on the first one as i wasnt a member then....

MGL MGL MGL :lol

AdamC
29th January 2009, 10:38 PM
Why dont you guys have a tournament while you are waiting ?
Its there in the arcade area to be used.

Amy
1st February 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Guys,
If you want to start listing your games, I'll work out a date to start.

May need to change starting and finishing day to Monday rather than Sunday...Is this going to upset anyone???

Anyway if you could put your username at the top of your list that would help greatly i.e.

Amy
1. game 1
2. game 2
3. game 3

Thanks, Amz

wingtipvortex
1st February 2009, 06:57 PM
Nice one Amy:)

wingtipvortex

1 Donkey Kong

2 Donkey Kong jr

3 Burger Time

DKong
1st February 2009, 09:09 PM
It's back !

DKong

1. Donkey Kong (Jap set)

2. Moon Patrol

3. Dodonpachi

4. Berzerk

5. Roc'n rope

6. Ms Pacman

7. Tiger Heli

wingtipvortex
1st February 2009, 09:32 PM
hmmm, Bezerk, good choice DK:D

DKong
1st February 2009, 10:02 PM
hmmm, Bezerk, good choice DK:D

I was trying to think of some others we were playing on our all night MAME/Pinball sessions but after the 15th or so beer (on the night) I just can't remember :lol

wingtipvortex
1st February 2009, 10:25 PM
I was trying to think of some others we were playing on our all night MAME/Pinball sessions but after the 15th or so beer (on the night) I just can't remember :lol
The one with the motorcycle going to Las Vegas, picking up fuel and dodging cars on the last road? Cant remember what its called though?

Motorace USA

spacies
2nd February 2009, 07:41 AM
Its Zippy Race or Traverse USA.

AdamC
2nd February 2009, 08:27 AM
You cant start the MGL untill i put my mame cab back together ! :cry

DKong
2nd February 2009, 10:57 AM
You cant start the MGL untill i put my mame cab back together ! :cry

It may be a couple of weeks so get to it :)

We need a few more players too, ATM only 2 have nominated games, not much point in playing unless we have a few (lot :badgrin) more.

Stubaloo
2nd February 2009, 12:17 PM
Stubaloo
1. Galaga
2. Bombjack
2. Moon Patrol
3. Gyruss

That's my 20c

Stu

spacies
2nd February 2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe to gather interest in this round of the MGL, the games could be kept to the 48-1 PCB.
Then hopefully we get more players?

This wont affect those with a MAME setup because they have 5000 games :lol

Just a thought :unsure:

spaceballs
2nd February 2009, 05:11 PM
xxjardinexx

1) Wonder Boy
2) Rygar
3) Heavy Barrel

DKong
2nd February 2009, 07:12 PM
Its Zippy Race or Traverse USA.

:cool:Thats the game I knew it had Zippy race somewhere in the name eh Wingtipvortex ;) there was another as well very similar but with better graphics do you know what it was Spacies :unsure

DKong
2nd February 2009, 07:50 PM
Maybe to gather interest in this round of the MGL, the games could be kept to the 48-1 PCB.
Then hopefully we get more players?

This wont affect those with a MAME setup because they have 5000 games :lol

Just a thought :unsure:

Would be good if it gets more players but :unsure about that. It sort of limits the side scrolling/platform gamers of the MGL . Maybe start a poll to see if we we get more players ie 48 -1 v's all MAME games. As well the MGL would start to be a bit repetitive with only 48 games to select.
Thanks for taking an interest though Spacies :) We need to get the vid games up where they belong!

spacies
2nd February 2009, 07:51 PM
Was it RALLY BIKE? (http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9258)

Zippy Race, Traverse USA and Motorace USA are all the same game. Weird how they did that.

Would be good if it gets more players but :unsure about that. It sort of limits the side scrolling/platform gamers of the MGL . Maybe start a poll to see if we we get more players ie 48 -1 v's all MAME games. As well the MGL would start to be a bit repetitive with only 48 games to select.
Thanks for taking an interest though Spacies :) We need to get the vid games up where they belong!

Nah I was thinking just this round. What is it, like 10 games per round?

I am not fussed because I have MAME. Just trying to get more peeps involved :D

DKong
2nd February 2009, 08:02 PM
Was it RALLY BIKE? (http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9258)

Zippy Race, Traverse USA and Motorace USA are all the same game. Weird how they did that.

Nah I was thinking just this round. What is it, like 10 games per round?

I am not fussed because I have MAME. Just trying to get more peeps involved :D

Thats it Rally Bike you legend :sm1: been trying to find that game!

12 rounds per tournament but a one off 48-1 MGL would be good if the 48-1 guys are keen:unsure
Who is the king of the 48-1 :D Like it!

Seems a lot of peeps bought them so if the numbers are up could be the best MGL tournament ever, screen shots will have to be photo's but we all have that (surely)

spacies
2nd February 2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah it would have to be photos or use the 39-1 port in MAME :lol

I think it has potential to be pretty big. The last game in the last tourny had like 3 scores submitted IIRC.

DKong
2nd February 2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah it would have to be photos or use the 39-1 port in MAME :lol

I think it has potential to be pretty big. The last game in the last tourny had like 3 scores submitted IIRC.

Still think we would need to poll this (gee's had to look up IIRC :lol) since you have the pc prowess please set up a poll, I'll be in for a "one off" of MGL dedicated to 48-1, don't know if Amy would be so keen though as her forte is Side scrolling games. Setup a poll Spacies and we will all know;) Leave it to you bro

Pash
3rd February 2009, 08:38 PM
I'll have to setup another computer for mame hooked up to my cab, something to do this weekend maybe.

Pash

1. Snow Bros
2. Wardner
3. Bubble Bobble
4. R-Type
5. Marvins Maze
6. Bomb Jack
7. Something random ;)

Will be good to have the league going again.

Arcade King
3rd February 2009, 08:40 PM
NZ Story ;)

DKong
3rd February 2009, 08:43 PM
NZ Story ;)

:gay::lol

Arcade King
3rd February 2009, 08:44 PM
Rainbow Island :D :b

DKong
3rd February 2009, 08:45 PM
Rainbow Island :D :b

One of your favs I hear AK:lol

Edit think Il eft my brain in the last Taxi hahaha

Arcade King
3rd February 2009, 08:47 PM
nothing wrong with rainbows mate, too sissy for you :p

DKong
3rd February 2009, 08:48 PM
nothing wrong with rainbows mate, too sissy for you :p

Give us a kiss big boy :badgrin

Gehirn
4th February 2009, 01:12 PM
Mgl Awesome :D

MVSC Builder
1. Marvel vs capcom
2. WWF : Wrestlefest
3. X-men (That fourplayer one)

Foot
4th February 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm in, just have to think up some games the rest of you can't play :)

Rat
4th February 2009, 03:54 PM
Could I suggest that people not nominate games that were in T7 by checking the T7 thread before posting. I don't really want to play the same games again, what do others think?

1. Space Invaders '95 Attack of the Lunar Loonies (World)
2. Gun Smoke (World)
3. Gaplus
4. Battle Bakraid (Japan)
5. Circus Charlie
6. Mr.Do!
7. Pengo
8. Thundercade / Twinformation
9. UniWar S
10. Strikers 1945 plus

spaceballs
4th February 2009, 07:46 PM
I'm in, just have to think up some games the rest of you can't play :)

:badgrin thats why i put Heavy Barrel...:badgrin

DKong
12th February 2009, 12:43 AM
They said her name was Billy jean.............thats right it's the MGL Just doing a backspin on the kitchen floor wooooooo...shes just the girl........
We need some participants come on shock and awe and the rest of the regulars, Foot (star) where are my bro's

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Just remember anyone can enter with a mame setup, just a screen shot
enter any game you like ( in perspective with basic mame setups)

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Could I suggest that people not nominate games that were in T7 by checking the T7 thread before posting. I don't really want to play the same games again, what do others think?

1. Space Invaders '95 Attack of the Lunar Loonies (World)
2. Gun Smoke (World)
3. Gaplus
4. Battle Bakraid (Japan)
5. Circus Charlie
6. Mr.Do!
7. Pengo
8. Thundercade / Twinformation
9. UniWar S
10. Strikers 1945 plus
I just noticed you are very good at most of those games:badgrin

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:34 PM ----------

They said her name was Billy jean.............thats right it's the MGL Just doing a backspin on the kitchen floor wooooooo...shes just the girl........
We need some participants come on shock and awe and the rest of the regulars, Foot (star) where are my bro's

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Just remember anyone can enter with a mame setup, just a screen shot
enter any game you like ( in perspective with basic mame setups)

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I just noticed you are very good at most of those games:badgrin

Well there has been talk about a competition but no one is showing the signs MGL is finally dead then:cry
FM you would rather rant about pinball, than actually playing games fine. <pisssed off>
hissy fit :lol

MonoJoker
12th February 2009, 09:40 AM
Oh noes not dead surely. I never got to compete in my first one yet :(

Cheers
LT.

Rat
12th February 2009, 11:33 AM
[/COLOR]
I just noticed you are very good at most of those games:badgrin[COLOR="blue"]

Yeah I like to win :) but that said, games that I enjoy I tend to play more and get better at. I would not nominate games I don't enjoy playing. I tried not to nominate any titles that I'm good at that are too obscure.

MonoJoker add your nominations and we might get the comp to rise from the dead yet.

Suggestion I am a long term member of http://www.austech.info which is not surprisingly an Australian Technology forum. They have a Retro gaming section, it doesn't get heaps of traffic, but might drag a couple of competitors in ?
http://www.austech.info/mame-emulators-older-consoles/

Should I post a thread there explaining the comp and linking to here ?

spacies
12th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Robotron
Defender
Space Panic
Exerizer
Chicken Shift
Dead Connection
Dragon Buster
Hopper Robo
Jump Bug
Kid Niki

Foot
12th February 2009, 12:26 PM
In in, just working on my games list. I'll start with:

Zippy race

Edit: adding

Omega Race (first game I ever owned for the Vic 20)
Joust
Bosconian
Lunar Rescue
Amidar
Gyruss (glutton for punishment)
Frogger
Pengo
Scramble

Far as I can tell we have only played Gyruss and Scramble out of my list before, and I wouldn't consider most of the others to be weird, just old school

MonoJoker
12th February 2009, 02:42 PM
MonoJoker

Moon Patrol
Mr Do
Mat Mania
Exerion
Bank Panic
Phoenix
Elevator Action
Pengo
Time Pilot
Galaga

Shock_And_Awe
12th February 2009, 02:52 PM
Hey guys, don't mean to sound negative (or like a whinger :) )or anything but I suppose my reasons for not being overly keen on the MGL come down to 2 main reasons....
1. lack of time
2. I don't like playing shit games :tomato

There have been a number of new games I have been introduced to by playing the MGL but many do not appeal to me or are just plain shit. If I get an opportunity to play my games I don't really want to spend it playing a game I don't enjoy.

I have also found that if there's 5000 arcade games in existence, it seems maybe only 100 of them are worth playing.

The MGL games seemed to get weaker as each MGL went on because most of the good games had already been done.

I would rather re-play games we've already done (and challenge the old scores)than look for new games because I doubt not that there's many good ones to go.

Some of the best times I've had on this site have been thanks to the MGL like when there have been a few of us getting right into a game and we've all been either helping each other out or putting shit on each other :lol

I think there needs to be more scrutiny with games that are up for selection by a vote or something like that. Maybe everyone makes a list of all games they would like to play, then everyone's list is compiled together and the 10 most popular games get played?? If someone likes a specific game and want it in there, they can try to convince others to add it to their lists so it gets the votes to make it??

That's just my thoughts or at least my issues :D I don't know what the best solution is or maybe I'm the only one that feels like this. All I know is that we always struggle to get participants for the MGL so maybe there are reasons for this?

wingtipvortex
12th February 2009, 07:06 PM
Hey guys, don't mean to sound negative (or like a whinger :) )or anything but I suppose my reasons for not being overly keen on the MGL come down to 2 main reasons....
1. lack of time
2. I don't like playing shit games :tomato

There have been a number of new games I have been introduced to by playing the MGL but many do not appeal to me or are just plain shit. If I get an opportunity to play my games I don't really want to spend it playing a game I don't enjoy.

I have also found that if there's 5000 arcade games in existence, it seems maybe only 100 of them are worth playing.

The MGL games seemed to get weaker as each MGL went on because most of the good games had already been done.

I would rather re-play games we've already done (and challenge the old scores)than look for new games because I doubt not that there's many good ones to go.

Some of the best times I've had on this site have been thanks to the MGL like when there have been a few of us getting right into a game and we've all been either helping each other out or putting shit on each other :lol

I think there needs to be more scrutiny with games that are up for selection by a vote or something like that. Maybe everyone makes a list of all games they would like to play, then everyone's list is compiled together and the 10 most popular games get played?? If someone likes a specific game and want it in there, they can try to convince others to add it to their lists so it gets the votes to make it??

That's just my thoughts or at least my issues :D I don't know what the best solution is or maybe I'm the only one that feels like this. All I know is that we always struggle to get participants for the MGL so maybe there are reasons for this?
I think you may have hit the nail right on the head here.

Most of the games i like to play are ones ive grown up with, and have had time to learn and understand. Its really hard to get into a game that i dont know, and a week is really not enough time to do that. It just becomes frustrating to me.

Also, games like robotron and Defender( just using these as an example, as i do like them ) are near impossible for me to play with a keyboard or 48 in 1.

On the same token, i have discovered many games that i never knew existed, or how good they were, like Robotron:D

So yeah, i think your point is relevent. I dont mind replaying games weve played before, it hightens the challenge to a certain degree.

Is there a solution?

Rat
12th February 2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah I feel this thinking is on track, the last MGL being my first, I knew that when there were 2 games I did not like in a row it got fairly tedious.

I think if all the games nominated could then be voted for 1 to 10 in an easily accessible forum poll script then that would be better than random draw.

Also with everyone saying that time is an issue, and it is for me also, perhaps each game could go for 4 weeks ?

We could subscribe to a thread that reminds us when there is one week to go, and when the next game starts.

That way there is less pressure to play as much as you can, and it becomes more for fun and to fill in spare time. Rather than wondering when you will get time to play.

wingtipvortex
12th February 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah I feel this thinking is on track, the last MGL being my first, I knew that when there were 2 games I did not like in a row it got fairly tedious.

I think if all the games nominated could then be voted for 1 to 10 in an easily accessible forum poll script then that would be better than random draw.

Also with everyone saying that time is an issue, and it is for me also, perhaps each game could go for 4 weeks ?

We could subscribe to a thread that reminds us when there is one week to go, and when the next game starts.

That way there is less pressure to play as much as you can, and it becomes more for fun and to fill in spare time. Rather than wondering when you will get time to play.
I agree with the voted 1 to 10 games Rat, but i feel 4 weeks may be a tad to long(im never happy am i:lol) some may loose interest:unsure

By the way, when are you, Ben and myself gonna have an arcade night at his place? He's told me your an excellent arcade player, we should organise a night for a bit of a session.

DKong
13th February 2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the voted 1 to 10 games Rat, but i feel 4 weeks may be a tad to long(im never happy am i:lol) some may loose interest:unsure

By the way, when are you, Ben and myself gonna have an arcade night at his place? He's told me your an excellent arcade player, we should organise a night for a bit of a session.

Yeah we should do that one night in the not too distant future ;)
just been playing a few old games and we have not had games like Commando, Gunsmoke, Fly Boy, Jump Bug and Galaxian before in the MGl still a lot of good "old school games" that need to be played, but if the it keeps the competition alive we (the MGL) are always welcome for suggestions to improve.
Keeping the MGL going is a great way to bring interest back to some "classic" games.

spacies
13th February 2009, 07:39 PM
No to the 4 weeks for me as well. Maybe 2 weeks?

wingtipvortex
13th February 2009, 08:40 PM
No to the 4 weeks for me as well. Maybe 2 weeks?
Right on spacies, 2 weeks is a nice time frame. A week to familarise, a week to compete, semi successfully;)

Foot
15th February 2009, 11:00 AM
Nope even two weeks is too long, 1 week is enough. It keeps things moving along

Imagine playing frigging Warnder for 2 weeks! It'd be enough to make me take up knitting

MonoJoker
17th February 2009, 10:39 AM
Is it worth using one of the online sites that has the top 100 arcade games listed and the competitors vote on those to finalise the list? If there are any classics missing then we could have those included subject to a vote?

I don't think it needs to be too complex but agree that playing crap/obscure games may contribute to a lack of interest in the format.

Personally I'll play anything just to get involved and maybe learn a few games outside my current list.

I also agree that a week is enough time - let's get some commitment going here :-)

spacies
17th February 2009, 10:45 AM
Well I am keen.

spaceballs
17th February 2009, 12:44 PM
Is it worth using one of the online sites that has the top 100 arcade games listed and the competitors vote on those to finalise the list? If there are any classics missing then we could have those included subject to a vote?

I don't think it needs to be too complex but agree that playing crap/obscure games may contribute to a lack of interest in the format.

Personally I'll play anything just to get involved and maybe learn a few games outside my current list.

I also agree that a week is enough time - let's get some commitment going here :-)

think the top 100 list is a great idea. I also want to add some games to my list of fav. Found Gun Smoke recently and Donkey Kong beleive it or not...i know, i know.

Anyway, count me in....very keen for this to go ahead.

Amy
17th February 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm still here...thinking maybe start next Monday.

It's really hard to please everyone.
Not sure exactly which changes will be made.
I'm happy to go with whatever you guys want.

wingtipvortex
18th February 2009, 12:43 AM
Sounds good amy, top 100 is good ya!

DKong
18th February 2009, 01:11 AM
One of my best moments in the MGL was actually finishing Wardner ( Thanks Shock 'n' Awe for the tips mate) then to find the hidden bonus at the end (lives and gold) this game should be banned now (eh Foot I agree 4 weeks of Wardner would get me knitting too:lol)
I really don't mind what games are selected but the classics always pull the heart strings, selection process has always been the jaded part of MGL, I think its up to you AMY to decide, and that decision will be final:D
We will play just bring on the games

DKong
26th February 2009, 06:28 AM
Well next monday has come and gone, and by jesus I am drunk ATM 6.27 in the morning :p Must be Thursdy now :lol MGL where are you

Shock_And_Awe
26th February 2009, 10:59 AM
Well next monday has come and gone, and by jesus I am drunk ATM 6.27 in the morning :p Must be Thursdy now :lol MGL where are you

Nice work - first drunken posts in ages!! :lol - have to admit I've been a bit slack on the drunken posts myself....I might just do something about that tonight :D

Amy
28th February 2009, 02:05 PM
um yeah sorry...got a bit caught up...I'll do something about that

Rat
10th March 2009, 07:50 AM
Stalled again............

OK here goes my last suggestion before I give up. How about we pick 52 games to be played one a week for a year. The game of the week can be picked at random each week, so you can't practise next weeks game, and to add some interest.

Amy would have final say and be the final judge, but could appoint a couple of helpers to keep things flowing.

Only have a trophy for overall standings at the end of the year, but have a weekly prize of a special avatar or a printable certificate or something?

Foot
10th March 2009, 08:38 AM
Stalled?? We're into round 2 of MGL 8 already....

Rat
10th March 2009, 08:51 AM
Ahhhh shit, I was watching this thread for updates and a start, missed Gyruss and I love that game. Oh well, I'll see if I can make time to join in now.