PDA

View Full Version : 48 in 1 Acting Screwy

Crafty
22nd January 2009, 05:20 PM
Ok folks...

I have a puzzler...

My 48 in 1 board works perfectly in a Jamma Wired arcade cabinet, but as soon as I swap it to another cabinet with a VGA monitor and computer PSU, it does not work?

I have gone to the test menu and all buttons up down L/R register as they should yet when I fire up a game eg Galaga the ship heads right and stays there. It will only go left if I use Joystick right??? Both cabinets are wired fine so is it the board???

Put in the Jamma Arcade all works ok again???

I'm confused.

Prof
22nd January 2009, 05:57 PM
check all the grounds on the connector. Might be a problem there

could also be a voltage issue

Foot
22nd January 2009, 06:25 PM
check all the grounds on the connector. Might be a problem there

could also be a voltage issue

I agree with the Prof, sounds like a ground issue on the 2nd cab. Check that there is all the ground pins on the connector are wired.

Doubt it has anything to do with the screen or psu

GIBO
22nd January 2009, 08:59 PM
Make sure the connector on the vga cab is in line with the pins on the 48 or the micro switches on the cab may not be wired to N/O ,when in the test menu you said it registers but when you click it again does it go back to white

GameDude
22nd January 2009, 09:25 PM
My bet is you have three pole switches and you have the wires on the wrong terminal. One is for active ON and one is for active OFF

Crafty
22nd January 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Prof I will check all the grounds.
Voltage is from a computer power supply so could this be an issue? It powers the LCD screen fine and the board powers up beautifully.

Gibo have checked that everything lines up correctly but will check again...and when i use the P1 up/down L/R plus B1 and B2 they all register red then white then red etc etc so that's how I know they are all wired correctly. (But will look again)

Gamedude will look at that as well - I assume you mean the microswitches? - but I'm almost certain that they are all right, esp as they register above when i check throught the i/o of the board.

Last comment the joystick works perfectly in the game selection screen moving left right up and down, it's just as soon as I go into a game it screw up???

Will try all the suggestions then report back. Any other ideas?

dmworking247
22nd January 2009, 10:41 PM
Crafty I know I'm repeating what the others have said, but I had a similar confusing problem with my 39-in-1 (so pretty much same thing).

When I was in the game things were going 'up' automatically, and when I actually pressed up, it would stop, and down didn't do anything. Often left/right wouldn't do anything either.

Strangely, it worked pretty well in the menu but not in the game.

It turned out I'd wired an 'up' microswitch to normally closed, not normally open. The problem was compounded by the fact I have two joysticks (right hand 4 way, left hand 8 way) wired to the same P1 joystick input... one was normally closed, one was normally open, hence confusing behaviour.

For the sake of it, disconnect your left and right and play a game that supports up/down, does that work? Reconnect left/right one at a time.

Crafty
23rd January 2009, 12:26 AM
Ok all sorted...

It seems the joysticks I am using have slightly different microswitches than all the others. The NO / NC is reversed. Go figure???

Thanks for all the help guys, my cocktail lives...:D

AskJacob
23rd January 2009, 08:42 AM
Ok all sorted...

It seems the joysticks I am using have slightly different microswitches than all the others. The NO / NC is reversed. Go figure???

Thanks for all the help guys, my cocktail lives...:D

Yeah, and you are not the 1st to get caught out - especially with the test menu - it registers CHANGES ok (which still happen with the no/nc reversed) so all looks OK, but games freak out when all inputs are closed - they don't expect it!

Cheers
Jacob

GameDude
23rd January 2009, 11:45 AM
Yep your not the first to be caught out by that, good to see its sorted now!

Crafty
23rd January 2009, 11:49 AM
Yep it has me stuffed for a while, esp as I was checking the micro's on the button and the earth's are all on the bottom followed by the next tab for NO, on the joysticks this tab is NC...

Will remember that one. :)

Will post some photo's of the cocktail when I get some glass...