PDA

View Full Version : My Display on the XXXX in one

bboy_h
21st January 2009, 09:53 AM
I posted this on the XXXX forums, but thought someone more "local" might have some ideas.

I am running the XXXX in one system in an old cabinet that used to house a "Virtua Fighter 2" Jamma PCB, which when played, would fill up the entire screen. With my XXXX in one, the games can be played, but the display is narrower, and about 5% of the screen is left blank either side of the shown picture on the screen. I have tried to adjust my Horizontal stretch, but its maxed out, and knowing I had a full image when I used a designated Jamma board, I believe it's something to do with the settings/software, or possibly some other hardware issues to do with the monitor...

Here are some pictures.

Display with Jamma Board:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/bboy_h/DSCF0999.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/bboy_h/DSCF1000.jpg

Display with XXXX in one, straight out of the box for all games:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/bboy_h/DSCF1205.jpg

As you can see, the game display does not fit the screen, and despite adjusting the physical hardware aspects of the cabinet, this variant of the display is the best I can achieve.

Could this be a hardware issue despite the fact everything was fine when I had the other board inside? Any ideas?

AskJacob
21st January 2009, 10:43 AM
I think you'll find it is just slight timing differences between boards/systems that cause this - some boards are just a bit more different than others.

Depending on the chassis involved, there may be a jumper to allow a different range of adjustment for horiz or vert size.

Cheers
Jacob

bboy_h
21st January 2009, 11:03 AM
I think you'll find it is just slight timing differences between boards/systems that cause this - some boards are just a bit more different than others.

Depending on the chassis involved, there may be a jumper to allow a different range of adjustment for horiz or vert size.

Cheers
Jacob

Wow, I had no idea! So I should look on the display PCB for jumpers, etc? Is it likely they will be labeled? Might have to attempt to gather some more info on the display PCB. It's clearly marked, so I hope there is some information on the net for it.

AskJacob
21st January 2009, 11:08 AM
Wow, I had no idea! So I should look on the display PCB for jumpers, etc? Is it likely they will be labeled? Might have to attempt to gather some more info on the display PCB. It's clearly marked, so I hope there is some information on the net for it.

If you have trouble finding out more about the chassis, some pics up here and I'm sure Joey of Jomac fame can sort you out...

Cheers
Jacob

Here is an example, from an earlier thread, this particular chassis had labels S, M and L:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=19793&highlight=chassis&page=3

Cheers
Jacob

bboy_h
24th January 2009, 04:29 PM
I found "some" kind of solution, hopefully temporary, to my problem. My monitor chassis is a dual resolution chassis, meaning it outputs at 24khz (or SEGA mode as know by the XXXX in 1) or 15khz mode (such as PAL).

I was able to identify my particular chassis here:
http://www.jomac.net.au/mon.htm

Additional research gave me enough information on how to change the resolution via the hardware. Interesting this is that the XXXX in 1 supports the native resolution for the SEGA mode, but the picture looked stretched and did not fill up my display. It looks good on the 15khz, but if the monitor supports a higher resolution and the XXXX in 1 is capable of supply the higher resolution, then I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Most of the games look soooo much better with the higher resolution, especially the beat em ups such as "Star Gladiator" and SF: EX", etc. Is there any way, or perhaps something I don't know, that will be able to change the system to 24khz, and enable a full picture?

Would be great to see if anyone else has one of these going in a SEGA setup...

Jomac
24th January 2009, 05:03 PM
I found "some" kind of solution, hopefully temporary, to my problem. My monitor chassis is a dual resolution chassis, meaning it outputs at 24khz (or SEGA mode as know by the XXXX in 1) or 15khz mode (such as PAL).

I was able to identify my particular chassis here:
http://www.jomac.net.au/mon.htm

Additional research gave me enough information on how to change the resolution via the hardware. Interesting this is that the XXXX in 1 supports the native resolution for the SEGA mode, but the picture looked stretched and did not fill up my display. It looks good on the 15khz, but if the monitor supports a higher resolution and the XXXX in 1 is capable of supply the higher resolution, then I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Most of the games look soooo much better with the higher resolution, especially the beat em ups such as "Star Gladiator" and SF: EX", etc. Is there any way, or perhaps something I don't know, that will be able to change the system to 24khz, and enable a full picture?

Would be great to see if anyone else has one of these going in a SEGA setup...

24K is not suitable for anything but dedicated hardware like Sega games , Atari and few others , attempting to run Mame , XXXX in 1 games at this freg can and often damages the chassis , especially Nanao's .

You need to remember that XXXX in 1 boards are not genuine arcade boards they are just Mame emulators built onto a PC main board and you are trying to get a chassis to display multiple games somewhere close to acceptable.
I dont recall ever having 2 standard game boards that you could plug into a cabinet and end up with a perfect picture on both , the chassis always needs to tweaked to suit each game.

I am only talking about 2 different game boards , you are talking about 100's and expecting an acceptable picture which is impossible to achieve.
The best you can hope for with any multi game is something average across the range , but if you picked just one game on your system and spent some time tweaking the chassis you would get it fairly close to perfect , but as soon as you flick over to something else it will probably look crap.