PDA

View Full Version : Could you play mame onto a usb drive?

PRKLCD
26th July 2006, 09:51 PM
geez I have been bored at work latley. I can't really surf the net that much without getting busted. I also can't install programs. I have a few little games on a USB drive that I sometimes play. I was thinking maybe I could load mame and my roms up from there - would that be possibe?

XiTaU
26th July 2006, 09:55 PM
yeah just copy your mame directory onto the drive you dont have to install mame.

PRKLCD
26th July 2006, 09:58 PM
is there a version of mame that will load from windows? My DOS command is cut off as well
:cry

bwodie
26th July 2006, 10:04 PM
mame32

PRKLCD
26th July 2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys - all done

Davefjedi
26th July 2006, 10:26 PM
is there a version of mame that will load from windows? My DOS command is cut off as well
:cry
mame32

elvis
26th July 2006, 10:51 PM
I have a few little games on a USB drive that I sometimes play. I was thinking maybe I could load mame and my roms up from there - would that be possibe?
As mentioned, MAME doesn't need "installation". It only needs to be decompressed from it's zip file and can be run off any media, even a CDROM. Although you won't be able to save your settings, as CDROMs are read-only. But of course you can change settings on the fly as the game runs, or via command-line options.

There are several projects out there which aim to develop a completely independant, bootable CD or USB device that will load up it's own mini operating system and fire up MAME. One such project is this one:
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/cd-readme.html

PRKLCD
27th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Ahhh what a good day at work. A little kung fu master in the morning and a little wonderboy in the afternoon!

Prof
27th July 2006, 04:24 PM
If they have only hidden the command promt, try and make a new shortcut on the screen. just call it command.com :)

elvis
27th July 2006, 04:38 PM
If they have only hidden the command promt, try and make a new shortcut on the screen. just call it command.com :)
If that's the total amount of effort your sysadmin has put into their systems "security", they need to be sacked.

Too many goddamn MCSE heros out there.