PDA

View Full Version : Computer startup prob

AdamC
19th January 2009, 03:51 PM
I replaced the power supply on a spare computer , as it wouldnt power-up and kept flashing its LED .. ( I asked about this ages ago - and the concensus said it was a shot PSU)

When I turn the comp on , this screen comes up.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/adamndeb/Image208.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/adamndeb/Image209.jpg

Should it make a difference if the replacement supply only has a 200W max output, as the original one had 250W max output.

On the original unit , it says - +5V & +3.3V 165W max.
on the one i put in - +5V & 3.3V 105W max

(I just noticed this )
I'd say would make a difference, hey ?

Brad
19th January 2009, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference myself. What sort of video card is in it? Some video cards really suck the power so you might try using on board to test it?

Brad

Emohawk
19th January 2009, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference myself. What sort of video card is in it? Some video cards really suck the power so you might try using on board to test it?

Brad

agreed try another video card it you have one spare. I have seen this before and it was the Video ram had died..

hey Brad look it a dam GoldStar again what did I tell you... :lol....

AdamC
19th January 2009, 04:07 PM
The video is onboard. :(

Could be totally stuffed here ....
ill have to dig around for another card ...

Emohawk
19th January 2009, 04:14 PM
If the m/b has a AGP or PCIe that will override the on board card.

AskJacob
19th January 2009, 04:15 PM
that is a small power supply there... if it is a "fu man chu" no-brander then if it is rated at 200W you will be lucky to pull 100W from it really. What spec is the PC?

Cheers
Jacob

Brad
19th January 2009, 04:22 PM
agreed try another video card it you have one spare. I have seen this before and it was the Video ram had died..

hey Brad look it a dam GoldStar again what did I tell you... :lol....

LOL yeah but the monitor's not at fault here :D

The power supply is low but still unless it's dead it should be alright. Make sure all your devices are unplugged, USB, extra drives etc. Only have your boot drive and keyboard (although you could unplug that too) and then boot it and see how you go. The idea is to reduce as much power load as possible to see if that resolves it. If on a slim chance it does, you know it's the power supply. If not, either a dud power supply, dud motherboard (component). Are you getting any warning beeps?

Brad

Emohawk
19th January 2009, 04:26 PM
LOL yeah but the monitor's not at fault here :D

The power supply is low but still unless it's dead it should be alright. Make sure all your devices are unplugged, USB, extra drives etc. Only have your boot drive and keyboard (although you could unplug that too) and then boot it and see how you go. The idea is to reduce as much power load as possible to see if that resolves it. If on a slim chance it does, you know it's the power supply. If not, either a dud power supply, dud motherboard (component). Are you getting any warning beeps?

Brad

Also if the Video card is on board it will be sharing the system memory. You may have some dud ram. take out as much as you can. take the system down to bare bones.

AdamC
19th January 2009, 04:30 PM
It was pulled out of an old Acer i had.

This comp is a Compaq Presario

Celeron 2.6Ghz
512 Mb ram

Brad - theres no beeps at all.

Might just have to salvage the 40Gb HHD and scrap the rest, i think

Brad
19th January 2009, 04:34 PM
Load default Bios settings......ugh Compaq....... but yeah load default settings, reset every component you'll be using, unplug everything except your HDD, keyboard and monitor. Then boot it to see if the problem continues. Whenever I've seen this issue it's the onboard video or some other MB component. One other thing to try (smacks forehead) is to plug a video card. If it is the onboard chip it might actually work.

Brad

AdamC
19th January 2009, 04:49 PM
Took out one of the sticks of ram and now its alive !!! :)

Thanks guys.

Now i can set it up for my mame cab :)
(Until i buy a faster computer)

Emohawk
19th January 2009, 07:06 PM
cool. gool old shared memory got to love it :lol just hope you have enough ram left in the box.