PDA

View Full Version : PDA touch screens

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 12:49 PM
I was looking around and found this

http://www.pocketgear.com/en_US/html/display_product.jsp?id=prod5641205

it enables you to use a old PDA as a extra screen in windows and the touch screen works as the mouse.

Think this could be used as the track selector on a jukebox. leaving the main monitor for all the video etc. Even if it only have track number entry buttons on it.

What do you think workable?

I have some old O2 PDA kicking around at home that will work.

YouTube - Innobec Sidewindow test

felixthadog
12th January 2009, 12:53 PM
Nice slogan :lol

"Innobec Technologies. More than just a buncha wackos"

Matthew

dmworking247
12th January 2009, 01:07 PM
Emohawk, I too have a PDA that could be used for this type of thing. A track selector for a jukebox would be great.

Ideally though you'd have some sort of graphic on the PDA that corresponds to the buttons.

let me know if you go ahead with it and get it to work, I'll watch closely :)

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 01:47 PM
If this works maybe "David_AVD" could add a pop-up window that can be directed to the PDA screen.

I have downloaded the software and will test when I get home.

In general this may be cool on the Mame Arcade boxes as a replacement for the LCD screens or something. Volume control custom buttons maybe..

acejas
12th January 2009, 02:06 PM
i used my pda as a remote control for windows media player . Trouble is i dont use WM anymore. The range was excellent. Cant remember teh software name off hand

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 02:21 PM
Just tested AussieJuke with a on screen keyboard and no joy.

So will have to ask David_AVD if we can work on a option. :)..

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 04:28 PM
Are you wanting to use the PDA as a controller for Aussie Juke?
With such a small screen, what type of interface were you thinking of?

With regards to the on-screen keyboard, what were you trying to do with it?

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Thinking on the PDA screen to just have the 0-9 enter and page flip icons
as the PDA screen is just a normal screen to windows. Opening a new window what x size on screen 2 might work.

The on-screen keyboard idea was if you where not able to do it. I could try using the one with just the number pad on the PDA screen. so +=next page -prev page etc. But your app did not see the input from the app.

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 04:36 PM
Ah, so the PDA is instead of having a full blown touch screen on the main monitor?

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 05:33 PM
Ah, so the PDA is instead of having a full blown touch screen on the main monitor?

Yep that is right. try and use some old PDA that is kicking around the house for the input. save some $$$$...

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 05:36 PM
I would have to create a new window with controls on it. Getting it all the right size would be tricky as PDA's vary a bit in resolution and aspect ratio don't they?

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 05:42 PM
I would have to create a new window with controls on it. Getting it all the right size would be tricky as PDA's vary a bit in resolution and aspect ratio don't they?

That is true can you format the page to start on screen 2 and full screen and let the OS to the sizing.

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 05:50 PM
Hmmm... Seems like a lot of work if there's not much demand for it. :unsure

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... Seems like a lot of work if there's not much demand for it. :unsure

True I do understand that. Or is it a option to have a open port TCP or API to accept input.

I'm a perl programmer and create the interface with no problem. It's just the communication port I need to talk to your software.

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 07:36 PM
Ok that was to easy.

Installed active sync 4.5
installed SideWindow
Plug in my O2 Mini crage the standard pairing
licked on on icon in the task tray.
and bam it's a windows screen.

The res is controlled via the software so the screen size is not a problem. But the lowest res would be the best so you get nice big icons on the screen.

Just for a test I created a BMP file opened in IE and set to full screen (F11) this this is how it looks.

This is the bmp on the full desktop
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/dwaynegodden/12012009003.jpg

And on the O2
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/dwaynegodden/12012009005.jpg

All touch screen works just at the mouse.
Thinking about it creating a webpage based code would mean you can create a full custom input screen if there was way to pass the input into the jukebox software... ;)

But I think that dam this looks cool and a very cheep way to get touch screen access for a jukebox.

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 08:46 PM
That's a great effort Emohawk. Well done.

Aussie Juke does support the base set of JPS. (Jukebox Plugin Standard) At present, it sends events to compliant JPS DLL's but doesn't receive input from them.

Maybe that's the way to look at it. Either that or write a small app to send keystrokes to Aussie Juke? :unsure

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 09:22 PM
That's a great effort Emohawk. Well done.

Aussie Juke does support the base set of JPS. (Jukebox Plugin Standard) At present, it sends events to compliant JPS DLL's but doesn't receive input from them.

Maybe that's the way to look at it. Either that or write a small app to send keystrokes to Aussie Juke? :unsure

I did try to use the windows on-screen keyboard but the input did not work. The real keyboard worked fine.

That did you write it in?. and as the screen was not window frame is it a real window or just a frame less window?.

night have to scan for app for the Window ID's to see I can send keys or anything else for that matter to it.

EDIT...

sorry let me correct that the Microsoft on-screen keyboard works there might be hope yet :D....

David_AVD
12th January 2009, 09:25 PM
Aussie Juke is written with Delphi 7 professional with some 3rd party components.

The forms are all pretty standard apart from having no title bar.

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 10:10 PM
Aussie Juke is written with Delphi 7 professional with some 3rd party components.

The forms are all pretty standard apart from having no title bar.

Cool will put my perl cap on and get working on it.

IMPURE
21st January 2009, 07:48 PM
would love this to work i have the same pda that u are using, my bosses old one lol

Emohawk
21st January 2009, 08:38 PM
As of yet I have not had the time to do the code. I will be working on it soon.

Emohawk
22nd January 2009, 10:27 PM
Today I got the interface working

Did the code in Visual basic. Will need to test the screen size on my PDA then workout out how to auto send the app to screen 2.

Emohawk
23rd January 2009, 10:15 AM
Here is a pic from the 1st test program it's not look sexy yet but it douse work.

As there is 10 songs on the screen each button will send both number i.e 01 so you do not need to press 0 then 1.

Do I need to add any extra buttons?.

David_AVD
23rd January 2009, 11:05 AM
Looks good so far. Too many buttons will make each one too small to touch.

Emohawk
23rd January 2009, 11:07 AM
Looks good so far. Too many buttons will make each one too small to touch.

I agree I tried to make the buttons as big a possible.

Emohawk
23rd January 2009, 11:49 AM
opening the form on screen 2 was easer then I through

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim myScreens() As Screen = Screen.AllScreens

If (myScreens.Length = 2) Then
Me.Top = myScreens(1).WorkingArea.Top
Me.Left = myScreens(1).WorkingArea.Left
End If

End Sub

Woohoo over the week end I will test it working on the PDA. I have set the height and width to 480, 640 witch is the lowest res for Sidewindow so by right it will fit just fine and be nice and big. crossed fingers anyway.

If it is all working I till take some video.