PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on a sit down cabinet

TonyJZX
24th July 2006, 01:47 PM
Hello there,

My name is Tony. I am looking into this new hobby as it combines two things - PCs and an old television I have.

I am a network admin type so PCs are no problem.

I have an old 68cm TV which has a VGA input. It was used for presentations.

How would I go about mounting this TV into a sit down cabinet? I suppose since it has the VGA that makes it easy to hook up straight to a PC. I am also lost about how to interface a joystick and buttons and whatever to the PC.

Ric
24th July 2006, 02:01 PM
i think the TV and the PC will be the easy part.

You need a special graphics card to produce a 15Hz signal to your TV - the resoltuion used by standard ratser games (as you will know VGA signals have a higher frequency)

you then need a IPAC or JPAC or equivalent keyboard encoder to connect external inputs (joystick or steering wheel) to the PC to be able to play the games.

I am not all that up to date with encoders and steering wheels

start at
http://www.ozstick.com.au

or

http://www.ultimarc.com

for pricing of the equipment

Can anybody else chime in?

Ric

RetroGame
24th July 2006, 02:26 PM
As your TV has a VGA input, you will not require any special video card such as the Ultimarc Arcade VGA card, your PC will plug straight into the TV.

As for getting the joystick and button inputs to the PC, there are 2 options.

1) The keyboard hack, which is dismantling a keyboard and connecting the buttons to the keyboard matrix. - Advantages, free or about $2 for a keyboard. Disadvantages, time consuming, messy, and can have key masking and ghosting issues.

2) Use an Ipac or similar keyboard encoder. - Advantages, simple an quick to wire up and configure, no key masking or ghosting, don't need extra buttons for credit, esc, tab etc. Disadvantages, cost $70.00.

see http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm & www.ozstick.com.au

If you are making a machine for 2 players with couple of buttons per player I would give the keyboard hack a try, you have nothing to loose except time. However if you are going to build a 2 player fighter with 6 buttons per player then don't waste your time on a keyboard hack, buy an Ipac.

TonyJZX
24th July 2006, 02:34 PM
I'm thinking the PC will load up Windows and whatever front end is necessary to drive the mame roms.

This is just a flight of fancy to use a 68cm VGA tv that would otherwise go to waste. I would suppose I'd have to remove the TV from its case and mount it in a sitdown chassis.

Berty
24th July 2006, 02:46 PM
Are you sure that it is VGA or Japanese RGB? The only reason why i ask is that we have got Sony studio monitors that looks like they have vga, but it is actually Japanese RGB ports. (hence needing a 15Khz signal)

rottenpig
24th July 2006, 04:12 PM
I'm thinking the PC will load up Windows and whatever front end is necessary to drive the mame roms.

This is just a flight of fancy to use a 68cm VGA tv that would otherwise go to waste. I would suppose I'd have to remove the TV from its case and mount it in a sitdown chassis.

you don't have to remove the tv from its case if you don't want to. just make a shelf in the cab, sit or bolt it on and make a monitor bezel (i'd go for a wooden one) so you can't see the tv surrounds. you could even tilt the tv, you'd just have to secure it properly. you could even use the tv's speakers, just put a bit of wire mesh in the monitor bezel where the speakers are.

TonyJZX
24th July 2006, 04:28 PM
Are you sure that it is VGA or Japanese RGB? The only reason why i ask is that we have got Sony studio monitors that looks like they have vga, but it is actually Japanese RGB ports. (hence needing a 15Khz signal)

nah it's vga - we used to run powerpoint slides thru it

the company i worked for doesn't exist any more

it comes up as a plug and play 1,024 x 768 monitor

Smit
24th July 2006, 04:43 PM
....If you are making a machine for 2 players with couple of buttons per player I would give the keyboard hack a try, you have nothing to loose except time. However if you are going to build a 2 player fighter with 6 buttons per player then don't waste your time on a keyboard hack, buy an Ipac.

Exactly right... speaking from experience here too...

Smit

XiTaU
24th July 2006, 05:13 PM
i hacked 2 usb sidewinders for mine which cost around $20 works fine for me.

Crafty
25th July 2006, 10:40 AM
Sounds like you are doing a project similar to one I am planning.

See attached photo of what I got from E-bay.

Obviously you can see what I am planning, although I intend on using an Xbox rather than a computer..

DKong
25th July 2006, 01:23 PM
Hello there,

My name is Tony. I am looking into this new hobby as it combines two things - PCs and an old television I have.

I am a network admin type so PCs are no problem.

I have an old 68cm TV which has a VGA input. It was used for presentations.

How would I go about mounting this TV into a sit down cabinet? I suppose since it has the VGA that makes it easy to hook up straight to a PC. I am also lost about how to interface a joystick and buttons and whatever to the PC.

Do you already have the cabinet?
If you do what size/type is it?
or are you building a cab to house the TV/Monitor.
Then I can tell you how best to mount your monitor. As it is a sitdown cab I presume you mean cocktail cab. 68cm is pretty big for a generic cocktail.
Use an i-pac if can the affford the expense for interface. Great keyboard encoder.

Viper
25th July 2006, 07:39 PM
Do you already have the cabinet?
If you do what size/type is it?
or are you building a cab to house the TV/Monitor.
Then I can tell you how best to mount your monitor. As it is a sitdown cab I presume you mean cocktail cab. 68cm is pretty big for a generic cocktail.
Use an i-pac if can the affford the expense for interface. Great keyboard encoder.
At 68cm I'm sure he means candy style upright.