PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a web server at home? Linux or what?

biggeorge
27th December 2008, 03:07 PM
I have 3 domain names and rather than pay for hosting i'd rather put one of my spare computers to work.

I have a static IP address so that is no problem.

What I mainly want to know is how to get started with this?
Should I start with a windows environment or linux?
Which version of which is best?
What do I do next.

My experience in this field is basically that I know how to register a domain name, I know you gotta redirect the DNS's, and I know how to make the website once that's done but there's a bit of filling missing in the middle there.

I've done it all plenty of times, all bar the server bit.

Help me please.

David_AVD
27th December 2008, 05:27 PM
I have two Linux (Debian) boxes. One here at home and another at AVD. They have been very reliable. I did enlist the (paid) help of a Linux expert to set them up however as I need them to be nice and secure.

I can direct you to the guy that I used if you like. He doesn't need to be at your site to help as long as you can set up the hardware and follow basic commands. Not sure what he charges per hour now but it's well worth it IMO.

headkaze
27th December 2008, 06:16 PM
I would go with Apache and php on a Linux machine. IIS for Windows can be a bit of a hastle and you generally need a faster machine to run it.

biggeorge
28th December 2008, 07:26 AM
David, as tempting as it is to pay and make it appear before my eyes, i'd rather have the benefit of the learning experience as well.

Time is not an issue, neither is speed.
I expect 2 of the websites to get hit by around 30,000 people over the next 20 years.

I like the power and speed of linux, willing to learn and sick of windows.
Might do some googling today, Just figured that some of the guys here might be able to steer me in the right direction to help get things started.

David_AVD
28th December 2008, 07:58 AM
In that case, grab the latest Debian iso and go for it! :)

For me, the paying for some help/advice is just another business expense. That said, it's not hard to get it up and running. I have a intermediate knowledge on Linux and use the command prompt regularly. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a server running in short time.

LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php) is the way to go for a web server, even if you don't want to use a mysql database right now. There's lots of help and documentation on the web too.

drudess
28th December 2008, 08:12 AM
yeah definately Debian and LAMP is the way to go :)
easy to keep upto date and solid and should run on nearly any hardware
install webmin for easy intranet configing

biggeorge
28th December 2008, 09:55 AM
Excellent, I shall put my Vic-20 to work. :D

Thanks guys, I shall go to Harvey Norman and buy a copy of Debian and a LAMP.
Joking... :D Hehehe.

@lien_Zed
28th December 2008, 04:45 PM
this may interest you

http://www.webmin.com/

runs on almost any linux based system

cwispy
28th December 2008, 06:24 PM
As with anything that is going to be connected to the Internet, you need to be sure that things are secure before putting them online. Although I do not use Webmin myself, and its packaged for most distros, it can be a handy utility for those who have not got the experience with Linux at the console level, but I would definately not advise that webmin is open to the internet.

Just be certain that which ever distro you choose you stay up to date with the security updates and that you read some of the security sites that are out there on how to secure the linux system before you connect it to the internet (read: allow incoming connections from the internet). If you need help setting things up, I am more than happy to assist you, as im sure many others here are to. I have been running a hosting business for the last 10 years and yes I use debian to do it.