PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Resto thread

Ford Fairlane
22nd December 2008, 10:11 PM
Hi all,

Just thought i'd start a thread to show you the progress of restoring my first pin.. A Williams Gulfstream!!!

I listed the problems with it and i'll fix them 1 by 1. The first thing (probably ass about order) but i decided to tackle the blackening of the cabinet. 1 of the previous owners (hopefully not you Tony :lol) has painted this with an undercoat followed by a black coating... (probably in some stupid attempt of trying to keep their wife happy :unsure

So with a bit of "Goof Off" and lots of elbow grease i had a go at trying to remove the old layers. Scratches on the cabinet with colours showing though it suggested that their might be artwork underneath. Lo and behold i was right... Obviously not finished but here is a before and after shot (with a lot more rubbing to finish)

Before:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/rgajic/PC180627.jpg

After:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/rgajic/PC220641.jpg

Damn its hard work but because its my first pin, its gonna get some treatment. And of course it was "born" the same month and year i was so i as isad in a previous thread.... DESTINY!!!!

Fish Tales
22nd December 2008, 10:13 PM
Its fun work when its restoring something you love.

Fair Dinkum Dan
22nd December 2008, 10:31 PM
Good work Rob. It's coming along nicely. :023:

So......, I gather you haven't started cleaning the playfield? :unsure

Cheers,

Dan

Ford Fairlane
22nd December 2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah Greg if someone was paying me i definately wouldnt do this... purely out of excitement for first pin.

Dan, i havent tackled the playfield yet... I wasnt sure where to start but everytime i go outside i see the black cabinet and it burns me up :evil

And i've still got a mame cabinet that the wife is pushing me to finish... a few weeks ago i had no projects. Now i've got 2 major ones and im sure im getting the order of ops wrong. Anyhow im still lovin it!!!

Cheers!!

Fair Dinkum Dan
22nd December 2008, 11:20 PM
Nah mate, all good. I know the cabinet was your main sore point and it already is starting to make a difference with the original artwork being revealed. You have to be happy with that. It reminds me of my GOTTLIEB Egghead that was painted a bright orange and the excitement when we stripped it off and saw the original artwork behind that.

I look forward to more updates when you get a chance.

Cheers,

Dan

illawarra_steelers
23rd December 2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah,

This was mine about 12 years ago, I *think* it ended up being in a larger trade :unsure

Well doing what you are doing is hard work but just wait until you have the cab all resprayed, such a fantastic feeling.

Did you end up getting a reply from any of the collectors on the Collectors Register?

Sent the bumper part off yesterday, will pick up the rollover button this weekend.

Good on you for bringing this old girl back to life!

Fish Tales
23rd December 2008, 08:24 AM
Rob can I ask why you are working so hard to reveal the original paintwork? Is it to attempt to preserve and restore? or so you can do some stenciling?

If not then a I would suggest just sanding it back to bare wood, much quicker and easier.

Ric
23rd December 2008, 08:33 AM
my advice to you Rob is one step at a a time.

I have gone into machines super keen and have tried four things at once and it becomes confusing

Resto is a long process requiring a lot of time and patience. Sounds like you are off to a good start

Ford Fairlane
23rd December 2008, 09:16 AM
All excellent points!!!

But some even more excellent news.

One of the guys DID get back to me from the collectors register 4:35am this morning (great tip Tony). He is from the UK and he offered to do tracings of his cab. He even had a bunch of plastics that he doesnt need anymore in a box so we'll negotiate on that one.

Ric, i know what you mean, you get so many ideas/thoughts that you just want to try and do them all at once.

Greg, yep my intention was to create a stencil, otherwise i would have stripped this down naked from the start. Will hold off doing anything with cab until i get those tracings.

So nows its time for some playfield action.

Cheers!!!

Fish Tales
23rd December 2008, 09:23 AM
Cool Rob, now go easy with the magic erasers!

Ford Fairlane
30th December 2008, 09:28 PM
Ok i've had a crack at cleaning the playfield with metho and have taken off heaps of caked on grime. However, the playfield is still dirty (although much much better) so do i continue with the metho, do i spary it on and leave it or will that just take paint off?

I was thinking of having a go carefully with magic eraser but is it too early?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Fish Tales
30th December 2008, 10:10 PM
I would say its eraser time, but maybe try some novus first.....you may get a decent result without those dangerous erasers.

Ford Fairlane
30th December 2008, 10:26 PM
so novus 3 , 2 then 1 or can i skip to 2 :unsure

Fair Dinkum Dan
30th December 2008, 10:58 PM
Rob, Novus #1 is basically good for cleaning the plastics.

If you feel Novus #3 is too harsh for the playfield, then just use Novus #2. That will bring it up to nice clean shine.

Magic eraser after that for the ball swirls that the Novus couldn't clean.

Cheers,

Dan