PDA

View Full Version : using PC monitor in 48 in one (which way???)

ostybeef
9th December 2008, 09:38 PM
Hi guys just an easy question (i hope) i have a large partially empty upright cabinet that i am going to be chucking a 48 in one card in with a vga port. now i have a 21" pc monitor and am working out some brackets to mount the monitor but couldnt find anywhere on this site on which way the monitor is supposed to go? does it go with the bottom of the monitor to the left or right of screen?
any help would be great!
thanks
Osty

jaspar
9th December 2008, 09:44 PM
Bottom to top, check out this picture.

http://www.in2amusements.com.au/projects/upright.php

Can see the monitor in pic.

Cheers

AskJacob
9th December 2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, rotated CLOCKWISE 90 degrees with you looking at the front of the monitor.

I had my monitor pulled apart when I realised I didn't know either...

Hooked it up and marked the on the back of the tube "this side up" :D

CHeers
Jacob

ostybeef
9th December 2008, 09:49 PM
Sweet, cheers mate *heads back to the shed*
thanks a bunch

narf_
9th December 2008, 09:56 PM
best way is bottom of the monitor goes to the right side

biggeorge
10th December 2008, 03:51 AM
What the hell are you guys smoking?

First response was "Bottom to top" meaning "Upside down"

Second response was "CLOCKWISE 90 degrees" meaning Bottom faces the left.

Third response was "bottom of the monitor goes to the right side" which is the opposite of the 2nd response.

So for the sake of keeping it consistant here, I advise you to put the screen in face-down so that you can see the neck and have easy access to the focus and gun adjustments...

:D

WOKA
10th December 2008, 06:48 AM
As long as its portrait (long ways up / down) it dosen't matter which way you mount it (bottom to the left or right, there is a switch on the board that will change the orientation.

ostybeef
10th December 2008, 07:18 AM
hahah i was just going to go by the picture that jasper showed. i was getting slightly confused by the whole thing but seeing as they have a switch i guess it really doesnt matter.
what happens with games like frogger and space inv that switch the views for players 1 and 2? can you disable that for an upright cabinet??

spacies
10th December 2008, 07:28 AM
Yep, you can set it to upright 1 joystick or upright 2 joysticks or cocktail mode.

narf_
10th December 2008, 08:18 AM
one more note

if the cabinet is a 20inch lowboy. a 21inch pc monitor doesnt fit. aslo a 19 inch will fit but due to length of the monitor it will need to poke out the back of the cabinet a little bit

just recent experiances have taught me

WOKA
10th December 2008, 11:41 AM
I have squeezed a 20" PC monitor into a lowboy. What you have to do is have the screen mounted on less of an angle. Essentially fix the back of the monitor to the cab, and pivot the front of the screen up some..

ostybeef
10th December 2008, 01:26 PM
too easy thanks for that. i have a lesure allied industries red cabinet with a metal cp i think for a 26 inch (sorry thats all the info i know on it) so it has a very large area for the monitor so its going to fit, its already wired for jamma just doesnt have monitor coin mech and a few extra bits, im going to set it up with a 48 in one for now and then once i find/buy a new arcade monitor for it i will set it up as a sf2/mk style machine

mreddie
12th December 2008, 11:52 PM
I have a lowboy, ripped the old and almost dead 20" CRT and whacked in a 4:3 20" LCD....and it fits perfectly in place...... love the look of the flat screen.... really nice.

ostybeef
13th December 2008, 05:37 PM
hey mreddie whats the old games look like on the lcd monitor compared to a real arcade monitor or a standard pc monitor?

narf_
13th December 2008, 05:52 PM
just tested ok on a lcd i plan to use

mreddie
13th December 2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Ostybeef, yeah I actually like the look.... obviously a lot sharper than the old CGA arcade monitors.... but once behind the glass it still feels very old school..... You have a nice flat screen and no curves..... plus the colours are so brilliant....

But it all comes down to taste I suppose. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of putting in a new tube monitor particularly with the high voltage they have... I wanted something safer that I could control. Also makes the lowboy a hell of a lot lighter and is easier to move around if I need to.

ostybeef
14th December 2008, 01:32 PM
good to know will have to try that in a sit down table top cabinet that im thinking of building. too many possibilitys and options gah!

narf_
14th December 2008, 01:39 PM
true

lcd does give the option of slim profile cocktails