PDA

View Full Version : PS2 - Free MC Boot (software mod)

elvis
6th December 2008, 07:36 PM
This works. Guide on how to do it is here (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/19296-PS2-Free-MC-Boot-(software-mod)?p=290259#post290259).

Anyone tried this?

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/
http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/

Allows booting of backups from an unmodded PS2 via software loaded on a standard PS2 memory card.

The catch-22 of course is you need a previously modded PS2 to boot the installer, but I guess once that's done you can keep replicating it from there on. My PS2 is already hardware modded, so I'm going to try this on a mate's slimline over Christmas.

opm881
6th December 2008, 11:21 PM
They actually have a mem card called Memor32 which allows you to do just this when loaded with custom firmware. Was created with a usb port so you just put on the new firmware, pop it in your machine with a patched disc and load it up

elvis
7th December 2008, 12:29 AM
Any idea what a Memor32 costs?

adn0r
7th December 2008, 10:21 AM
I've done it on a regular 8MB memory card for a friends ps2 so they can run hdloader, using my ps2 with the independance exploit. I had plenty of trouble using the same apps that I was already using on my ps2 until I hunted down the latest versions of uLaunchELF etc.

Also note that the exploit takes up 2MB or so, which is a fair amount of an 8MB memory card

elvis
7th December 2008, 12:41 PM
I've got a 16MB card which apparently works with the latest version.

elvis
14th May 2009, 10:12 PM
bumpity bump...

I'm trying free mcboot out right now on a slimline PS2 with no modchip. So far the installer went without a hitch (used my chipped chubby to do it). Just dumping one of my Japanese PS2 games now, patching, and burning back to CD.

Fingers crossed.... if it goes well, I'll write a howto and throw the ISO up on torrent somewhere.

elvis
14th May 2009, 10:54 PM
Success!

Working 100% software (no modchip) mod that boots all PS2 homebrew and backups. Nice!

I'll get torrents and instructions up over the weekend.

Hoopstar
14th May 2009, 11:01 PM
Any chance I could send you my mem card and get you to patch it? Obviously willing to pay you..

Hoops

Brodieman
14th May 2009, 11:52 PM
I have a retail HD Loader around here somewhere- got my PS2 fatboy goin with about 30 games loaded.

Anyone wants HDloader installed on their chip let me know. The only thing is u have to have a PS1 gamein the drive.... (thats with what i use) the new mcloader may be different.

Crafty
15th May 2009, 12:57 AM
Success!

Working 100% software (no modchip) mod that boots all PS2 homebrew and backups. Nice!

I'll get torrents and instructions up over the weekend.

Can we go with Megaupload or Rapidshare. I don't use torrents..

If not that's cool

Cheers

elvis
15th May 2009, 05:55 AM
Any chance I could send you my mem card and get you to patch it? Obviously willing to pay you..
Cover postage both ways and I'll do it for nothing.

If you know someone else with an already modded PS2, you'll be able to do it yourself once I get the files up.

Can we go with Megaupload or Rapidshare. I don't use torrents..
I'll certainly give it a go. I've never used them before, but it shouldn't be too hard I'm guessing.

Hoopstar
15th May 2009, 08:55 AM
Cover postage both ways and I'll do it for nothing.

If you know someone else with an already modded PS2, you'll be able to do it yourself once I get the files up.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't know of anyone with a modded PS2 so I might take you up on your offer Elvis.. What size card do I need?

Hoops

Crafty
15th May 2009, 09:42 AM
Hoops I have a mdded PS2 and will be doing this myself to another Ps2

Savage
15th May 2009, 10:22 AM
I got a modded PS2 booting of HDD hooked into my Candy Cab.
I also have another PS2 with the Memor32 which never delivered what is was promised to.
That was until I found this http://www.gamegen.com.br//index.php?showtopic=24578

Also more great info here
http://www.gamegen.com.br//index.php?showforum=129

Mickey Juice
15th May 2009, 11:12 AM
Looking forward to the torrent Elvis!

Hoopstar
15th May 2009, 11:17 AM
Hoops I have a mdded PS2 and will be doing this myself to another Ps2
ooooh - Do you reckon you might like to throw in another one? :041:

I am willing to pay for your time etc..

What suburb?? I am in Woody South...

Hoops

elvis
15th May 2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I don't know of anyone with a modded PS2 so I might take you up on your offer Elvis.. What size card do I need?
It takes roughly 2-3MB of space. So any old 8MB PS2 memory card will do. I actually installed it onto a used card (it had existing game saves on it), and it worked fine.

The MCBoot guys recommend using a genuine Sony memory card, but some have tried it with knockoff brands with varying levels of success.

Thankfully the PS2 allows for 2 memory cards to be plugged in. So use a genuine Sony 8MB for the MCBoot in slot 1, and put any generic memory card in Slot 2 and use it for your saves.

I got a modded PS2 booting of HDD hooked into my Candy Cab.
I also have another PS2 with the Memor32 which never delivered what is was promised to.
MCBoot allows running of any homebrew PS2 .ELF executables direct from the boot menu. So you can install both HDLoader and USBLoader/USBAdvance to run direct from the memory card (even automatically, via the mcboot configuration tool).

I've not tried it yet, but it will be next on my list of things to experiment with. Apparently the USB hard disk booting is a bit poor for compatibility, but the various forums dedicated to it all mention that you can replace certain files in non-working games with those from working games, and they'll still boot/play normally.

I've got a chubby PS2 with an IDE hard disk attachment, but I'll be trying it out on my mate's slim with a USB disk in the coming weeks.

Hard disk in your PS2 is definitely the way to go for cabinets. No more opening doors to swap games!

mxd
15th May 2009, 01:36 PM
if you join here http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58292-official-free-mc-boot-releases.html, there are a couple of people who will copy a card for you (just in case elvis is getting a little busy), just send them a mem card, with return post pack and it will be back in about a week.

you need to get iso's and then "convert" them (it makes it look like a dvd). If the game is on a CD you need to convert it to a DVD, the above forum has some good info on it.

I might have a few (can't remember how many) iso's if you want to send a hdd and return post, I will try to figure out what I have, in GB size :).

cheers
Matt

sairuk
15th May 2009, 07:01 PM
MCBoot allows running of any homebrew PS2 .ELF executables direct from the boot menu. So you can install both HDLoader and USBLoader/USBAdvance to run direct from the memory card (even automatically, via the mcboot configuration tool).

You can boot your apps directly from a USB key saving space for more important things ... game saves/configs ... on the memcard. That includes ulaunchelf as well btw. IIRC (unless the new versions have changed, its been a while) you only used to need around 75k of space for most consoles using files for your region from a slim console, on either slim/fat. I used to have em, dont anymore.

elvis
15th May 2009, 07:37 PM
You can boot your apps directly from a USB key
I didn't realise that. That's also a much easier way of getting new apps on there, rather than burning a CD just to copy it across and throw the thing out.

sairuk
15th May 2009, 10:40 PM
I didn't realise that. That's also a much easier way of getting new apps on there, rather than burning a CD just to copy it across and throw the thing out.

ulaunchelf has an inbuilt ftp server, unless things have changed it will be under misc://PS2Net there is also the host:// protocol which you can google for more info on if need be. I only used it when i was mucking around with some source at one point.

Brodieman
15th May 2009, 11:14 PM
a few of the guys on pxs scene were working on a 'virtual mem card' on the HDD a while ago

elvis
16th May 2009, 10:55 AM
Files are up:
2.1MB - http://www.stickfreaks.com/files/freemcboot.7z

Things you need to do:

1) Decompress the 7-Zip file (Windows (http://www.7-zip.org/), Mac (http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/), Linux users install "p7zip" from your package manager)

2) Inside is an iso file, and a jar file. Burn the ISO to a CD-ROM.

3) Find a PS2 memory card with at least 3MB of free space. The MCBoot authors recommend a genuine Sony card, but if you use a third party one and it works, please let us know in this thread.

3) Find a PS2 that can boot homebrew CDs (modchipped, SwapMagic, or already using mcboot), and boot the burned CD. Make sure that you remove all memory cards other than the one you want to install mcboot on (if you're booting from mcboot already, obviously you'll need two cards installed - your boot card, and your to-be-installed-card).

4) Follow your nose, and choose "install", picking the card you want to install on. There is also a "format memory card" tool you can use if your card doesn't have enough free space, and you don't want to save what's on the card.

5) It'll take a few moments. When done, remove the CD. It's recommended not to use freemcboot to boot an already hardware modded PS2 by the authors. Not that it's bad, just that they can't guarantee what will happen.

6) Now take your freshly installed mcboot memory card, stick it in a virgin PS2 and power up. You should see the FreeMCBoot logo, and a new menu.

To play backups, you need to do the following:

1) If you don't already have it, install Java on your machine. Windows users get it here (http://www.java.com). Mac users should have it as part of their default install. Ubuntu users install sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-bin packages. Other Linux users, you'll need to find a way to install Sun's Java on your system (don't use other Java like icedtea or blackdown).

2) Take your original PS2 disk, and make it an ISO. There are plenty of tools and methods to do this, so I won't cover it here. The important thing is it must be an ISO, and not any other format (no bin/cue, no mdf/mds, etc). There are tools to convert between the formats, which I'll cover specifically if people ask.

3) Patch the ISO. If your OS supports it, you can probably just double-click the "ESRPatchJava.jar" file (included in the 7z file at the top of the post). If that doesn't work, run it from the command line:

java -jar ESRPatchJava.jar

A window pops up. Click the "Patch ISO" button, point to your ISO and select it. It should only take a few moments.

4) Burn the patched ISO back to a writeable media (match the media to the original - some PS2 games still come on CD, so be aware of that).

5) Boot your PS2 with just the mcboot prepared memory card (no disc in the drive). From the menu, choose "ESR". When the white ESR screen appears, put the disc in the drive, and wait for the message at the bottom to say that you've got valid media in the disk. When ready, choose the first option to boot the game.

If you want to install more homebrew apps after install, or find out all the other cool things you can run from your PS2 (ftp and network tools, using USB memory sticks, IDE and USB hard disk tools, emulators and homebrew apps, etc), check out the authors websites:

http://www.sksapps.com/
http://www.console-exploits.com/

Heaps of info and downloads there.

Enjoy!

Mickey Juice
16th May 2009, 10:58 AM
Nice write up. Thanks mate.

elvis
16th May 2009, 11:41 AM
Anyone who does the mod, let us know how you go.

If possible, also tell us what version of PS2 you have. I've done it with success on a PS2 slim SCPH-70002.

sairuk
16th May 2009, 11:48 AM
5) Boot your PS2 with just the mcboot prepared memory card (no disc in the drive). From the menu, choose "ESR". When the white ESR screen appears, put the disc in the drive, and wait for the message at the bottom to say that you've got valid media in the disk. When ready, choose the first option to boot the game.

Worth noting, although probably beyond the scope of this initial guide. You can do an advanced hack with freemcboot and the dvd player upgrade on most units which enables the system to autoboot ESR patched discs. A fair while back there was talk of auto detecting and booting ESR discs as part of FMCB (without the additional hack), i assume this never went anywhere.

mavwen
30th May 2009, 01:59 PM
Just like to thank Elvis for the awesome guide and files i just did this hack and works great.
I used my brothers chipped ps2 to format the memory card and put it into my sons ps2 and bingo it works.
My sons ps2 is a chubby SCPH-50002
Time to play some Marvel vs Capcom 2 so thanks again Elvis awesome work

elvis
30th May 2009, 03:50 PM
Cool, glad it worked.

I'm curious if anyone has tried this on really new PS2s (stuff sitting on store shelves today)?

Johno
27th September 2009, 04:47 PM
I did this today using my chipped fat ps2 and installed it on my friends memory card and it works fine in their fat ps2. Im nto sure what version their ps2 is but I knw he bought it the first week they were released in Australia.

Does anyone know how to add more elfs to the memory card now (eg usbadvance) now that it's been done or any of the emulators? or can they be installed on the hdd as well? it would be nice to be able to select some more stuff for the menu?

sairuk
29th September 2009, 12:33 PM
I did this today using my chipped fat ps2 and installed it on my friends memory card and it works fine in their fat ps2. Im nto sure what version their ps2 is but I knw he bought it the first week they were released in Australia.

Does anyone know how to add more elfs to the memory card now (eg usbadvance) now that it's been done or any of the emulators? or can they be installed on the hdd as well? it would be nice to be able to select some more stuff for the menu?

use the ulaunchelf menu and it has built in usb/ftp support depending on your setup and a filebrowser.

there should be disc images floating about you can boot to get access to all the devices now that your memcard is hacked.

GEMINI
6th March 2011, 03:08 PM
I got given a ps2 Slim and bought a mod chip for it,
Is it worth installing or is soft mod the way to go you think?

elvis
8th March 2011, 10:21 PM
I got given a ps2 Slim and bought a mod chip for it,
Is it worth installing or is soft mod the way to go you think?
FreeMC Boot with Open PS2 Loader looks pretty great. Load games off anything (disc, USB devices, network file shares).

Frank_fjs
24th March 2011, 07:38 PM
My lovely wife bought me a brand spanking new PS2 for my bday today.

It's obviously a slimline, 90002 model, can these still be soft modded? Have been Googling around but info is either outdated or very hard to digest.

What do I need to play backups from hard drive? Wouldn't mind running some emus too but one step at a time.

Anyone here recently modded a new PS2 slimline? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Jaympee
24th March 2011, 07:53 PM
My lovely wife bought me a brand spanking new PS2 for my bday today.

It's obviously a slimline, 90002 model, can these still be soft modded? Have been Googling around but info is either outdated or very hard to digest.

What do I need to play backups from hard drive? Wouldn't mind running some emus too but one step at a time.

Anyone here recently modded a new PS2 slimline? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

After similar info. My missus grabbed me one late last year when K-mart had them out for $84.

Like the idea of USB loading and leaving the disc's safe in their cases. I bought a Wode for our Wii, one of the best purchases ever!

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 12:11 AM
Have done some research, still a little in the dark however my initial conclusion is that modding a slimline PS2 is a royal pain in the arse. Have definitely been spoilt by the Wii which was a piece of piss to softmod.

I'm looking at one of these alternatives:

USBeXtreme PAL for all PS2 consoles (http://www.au-hackershardware.com/playstation-2/usbextreme-pal-for-all-ps2-consoles/prod_13.html)

Swap Magic 3.8 PLUS CODER PAL including Magic Switch Pro V4 for Slim Line PS2 (http://www.au-hackershardware.com/playstation-2/swap-magic-3-8-plus-coder-pal-including-magic-switch-pro-v4-for-slim-line-ps2/prod_10.html)

USBeXtreme seems to be pretty straight forward, plug and play so to speak. As far as I can tell, it should work on our slimlines and will allow loading games from an external hard drive. I'm not sure if it allows you to run general homebrew files, will have to look into that. The downside for ease of use is cost and the fact that the games still run at normal CD speeds, even from the hard drive.

Magic Switch seems popular but I don't like the idea of having to physically tinker with the PS2 (it requires you to install one of various mechanical methods to allow the CD drive to be opened and still operational).

I'm not really interested in running burnt media, I simply want to load from an external hard drive. Not sure if they allow you to rip games directly from the PS2 to the hard drive, would like to know though.

Anyone here modded a slimline, can you shed some light on this please? :)

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

What's the deal with Free MC Boot?

If someone with an already capable PS2 makes me a special memory card, I can put that into my PS2 and be on my way?

Does it work with SCPH-90002 series consoles? There's a Memor32 Alternative (http://www.ozmodchips.com/plug-and-play-ps2-modchip-memor32-alternative-p-208.html)
but it states that it doesn't work with the newer consoles.

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 02:37 AM
After more researching looks like Free MC Boot is not an option for those with newer slimlines. My date code is 0D and I believe anything after, and including 8C will not work.

Our only option is Swap Magic or USB Extreme, the latter seeming the better option due to not having to tape down parts of the CD mechanism or mess around with anything mechanically.

I think a mod chip would be the better solution here, assuming they work with the newer (2.3) firmware. Saves screwing around with boot cd's and the like.

sairuk
25th March 2011, 06:00 AM
After more researching looks like Free MC Boot is not an option for those with newer slimlines. My date code is 0D and I believe anything after, and including 8C will not work.

Our only option is Swap Magic or USB Extreme, the latter seeming the better option due to not having to tape down parts of the CD mechanism or mess around with anything mechanically.

I think a mod chip would be the better solution here, assuming they work with the newer (2.3) firmware. Saves screwing around with boot cd's and the like.

I've not done a newer slimline, but i can setup a generic card for you to try out if you want to send one over. You will need an official memory card, which i can install the freemcboot on it for you to try.

openps2loader is the new kid on the block for hdd loading, some good reports for usb. Was not that successful with ide (internal drives) in my tests (ver 0.8 iirc).

Arcade King
25th March 2011, 06:27 AM
I just bought Swapmagic 3.8 Plus Coder and Slidetool Combo PAL (http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=143&products_id=1301) from Cool PC. Hopr I'm on the right track.
I bought a Ps2 slim cheap off Ebay about 6 months ago to play the Final Fantasy games, think its time to mod this sucker.

sairuk
25th March 2011, 06:54 AM
I just bought Swapmagic 3.8 Plus Coder and Slidetool Combo PAL (http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=143&products_id=1301) from Cool PC. Hopr I'm on the right track.
I bought a Ps2 slim cheap off Ebay about 6 months ago to play the Final Fantasy games, think its time to mod this sucker.

The slide tool is only for fat consoles, i used to use the back edge of an NT cutter in place of the slide tool. For slimline you need to use a fliptop replacement or tweak the lid open switch so you can open the top to swap discs.

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 12:30 PM
Aye, you bought the tools for the fat PS2 AK. The discs are obviously still fine.

This is the tool set for the slimlines: http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=143&products_id=1249

In all honestly, it seems some cardboard and sticky tape would do the same job.

I might give USBExtreme (http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=143&products_id=807) a go seeing as it doesn't involve blocking CD sensors.

I've not done a newer slimline, but i can setup a generic card for you to try out if you want to send one over. You will need an official memory card, which i can install the freemcboot on it for you to try.

openps2loader is the new kid on the block for hdd loading, some good reports for usb. Was not that successful with ide (internal drives) in my tests (ver 0.8 iirc).

Thanks! :) I don't have a memory card as yet, but will keep this in mind. Everything I've read suggests that it will not work, even the Free MC Boot website states that it won't work on the newer slimlines. :(

All consoles made before mid 2008 work with FMCB. The new Slim SCPH-9xxxxx models with a Date code of 8C and a BIOS v230 dont work with FMCB.

Bit disappointed with the homebrew scene on the PS2 so far.

Arcade King
25th March 2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. They didnt have it in stock 2-3 day wait so i'll change the order to something that suits the slim.

Jaympee
25th March 2011, 02:34 PM
Just wondering where I find the date code

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 02:48 PM
On the bottom of the console where the serial number is, look to the right of that and there will be a little coloured square with a 2 digit code in it.

This is the one you want for the newest slimlines, if you want go go the swap magic path: http://www.au-hackershardware.com/playstation-2/swap-magic-3-8-plus-coder-pal-including-magic-switch-pro-v4-for-slim-line-ps2/prod_10.html

It contains the tools to trick the PS2 into thinking the drive door is closed, when it's not, so you can swap discs etc. I really don't like the idea of taping bits of the CD mechanism down but it seems we have no choice. Hopefully it might not be necessary for USB loading. It supports loading .elfs from the memory card, so I am hoping that for this purpose you don't need to tape the CD sensors down or swap discs.

I have no idea if au-hackershardware.com is still in business though. I sent them an email last night and one today and they haven't replied, therefore I'm not sending them any money.

Jaympee
25th March 2011, 02:54 PM
9c

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 03:15 PM
You're in the same boat as me.

Here's what I think will be the easiest solution for us:

Buy Swap Magic 3.8 PLUS CODER PAL including Magic Switch Pro V4 for Slim Line PS2.

I don't think you will need to install the tape for the purpose of loading software from an external USB device (flash drive, hard drive).

I think you only need to swap discs if you want to launch games from a burnt CD. In this case you would need to install the tape to stop the system resetting when opening the CD tray.

So basically, if I'm right, we should be able to leave the swap magic disc in the system, boot up with an external USB device plugged in, and place a USB loader program on there and it will launch.

From the instruction manual:

Loading your own programs from USB Mass Storage Devices:
1. Rename your program to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
2. Create a folder named SWAPMAGIC in the root directory of your USB Mass Storage Devices and then put the
SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in the folder.
3. Plug-in the USB Mass Storage Device to the USB port of the PS2, and then boots your PS2 with CODER disc. If the
program (SWAPMAGIC.ELF) is found in “../SWAPMAGIC/”, it will be launched automatically.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/SwapMagicCoderManual.pdf

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 05:45 PM
A local console modding place quoted me $120 to mod a new PS2 slimline. I DON'T THINK SO!

CoolPC emailed me saying they got more stock in this afternoon so I've placed an order for the Swapmagic 3.8 Plus Coder PAL discs.

I didn't buy the tools as they don't have the latest version in stock, they have version 3 whereas version 4 is better suited to the newer slimlines. I'm hoping I won't need them anyhow, for the sake of booting from USB. If I do, there's a PC store near me that sells the Magic Switch Pro V4 so I'll just grab it from there.

Now to find and download some USB loader software...

Will let you know how it all goes sometime next week.

sairuk
25th March 2011, 06:43 PM
Now to find and download some USB loader software....

http://sksapps.com/

Frank_fjs
25th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Cool. Have got open PS2 loader, ULE and a couple of emulators.

Swap magic allows you to run 4 programs from the USB or memory card. So I plan on installing ULE as program 1 and perhaps using that to launch everything else, seems the most graceful way of doing things.

When swap magic comes in I'll report back on how everything works out.

MangledLeg
26th March 2011, 06:06 PM
Let us know how it goes, my brother wants to open his machine up to imports to borrow some of my games, but considering the cost of a new unit, they're not interested in forking out $120 to mod it. Haven't looked into how complicated the slims are to chip, I had a nightmare trying to mod a phat PS2 back in... 2002 or 2003, so when my wife got her PS2 modded in 2004, we went to someone I got the details from in the Trading Post. Cost about $120 or something, but was worth it to make it easy to play imports as the slide trick annoyed me and wouldn't boot some games (like SF2: Hyper Anniversary Edition) :P

Arcade King
26th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. They didnt have it in stock 2-3 day wait so i'll change the order to something that suits the slim.

Just an update. They recommended the magic switch so I grabbed that instead, should have my shiz monday and a modding we will go.

Jaympee
30th March 2011, 04:45 PM
Decided messing around with my slim was too hard, but thought I would have a go modding my fat version.

Had a dodgy dvd drive so has been packed away. New lease for the old girl!!
SMS is a good app, plays xvid/divx off of the usb as well as mp3's.

Should have done this ages ago.

Want to find a network adaptor for it now so I can add an internal HDD.

sairuk
30th March 2011, 04:49 PM
Want to find a network adaptor for it now so I can add an internal HDD.

When you do that, SMS will also play media via a network connection which is handy

Frank_fjs
30th March 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm still waiting for my swap magic order to get here. Ordered it last Friday, it was only despatched today, probably won't get here until Friday. Gotta love paying for express postage and it still taking a week to get here. :realmad:

Arcade King
30th March 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm still waiting for my swap magic order to get here. Ordered it last Friday, it was only despatched today, probably won't get here until Friday. Gotta love paying for express postage and it still taking a week to get here. :realmad:

They told me they were waiting on stock, my order was dispatched today and I should have it tomorrow.

Frank_fjs
31st March 2011, 05:31 AM
I emailed them first, on Friday, and asked if he had them in stock. He said yes, they got some in that afternoon. So I paid $16 for express postage (which seems a bit steep for 2 CD's) and it wasn't posted until Wednesday. I expected it to be posted on Monday and in my hands by Wednesday.

He's since told me that he was sick, so wasn't able to post my order until Wednesday. That's fair enough, I'm not going to hassle a guy who was sick, but it still leaves me out of pocket and without my order being delivered in the expected time frame.

It's just aggravating as I could have ordered in from Hong Kong for cheaper, but I wanted it in a hurry so decided to buy locally. Just one of those things I suppose.

Frank_fjs
31st March 2011, 04:02 PM
Got my swap magic discs today.

I'm starting to see that homebrew for the PS2 isn't as polished as it is for the xbox/wii etc.

Open USB Loader has the ability to launch apps, so I use this as my main application. I've configured swap magic to boot it automatically so I turn on the PS2 with the swap magic DVD in there, it launches open usb loader from my USB stick and from there I can either run a game installed to my external hard drive or launch an app saved on my USB stick.

The emulators aren't the best so I'm not going to bother with them, I have other systems for that. The media player is also pretty average. The only thing I think that I will use is the USB loader to launch PS2 games.

Only problem is I can't get a game to load from the hard drive! In both USB loader and HD Advance, the game appears in the list, but upon selecting it screen turns black and system freezes.

PS2 sucks.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Ok, got a game to load off the hard drive. Had to put it in the first USB slot. Runs a little slow, video is choppy, but the actual game seems to run fine.

sairuk
31st March 2011, 06:03 PM
Compatibility for usb vs ide (internal) drives is phenomenally different, its unfortunate.

PS2 homebrew as you have now noticed has nowhere near the polish of the xbox/wii equivalents. Personally I only ran SMS out of desperation in the past. SMS less the interface is as clunky as wiimc imo compared to xbmc etc.

Then again I dislike the psp/ps3 interfaces released from sony. IIRC its called xmb or something?? terrible, and the openps2loader inherited they same style which is a bad move imo.

To be fair the xbox is a pc dressed as a console which certainly makes life easier for homebrew devs.

MangledLeg
31st March 2011, 08:17 PM
I've noticed the same, that the PS2 homebrew doesn't have the same level of polish as well. Considering how difficult the PS2 is to program for though, and I'm not surprised, especially compared to the relatively straightforward architecture in the GC and Xbox.

Frank_fjs
31st March 2011, 08:45 PM
I found that the lack of organised documentation didn't help. For example, for the Wii you can just go to the WiiBrew site and get everything you need, PS2 documentation is scattered all over the place in random forum threads.

Glad I've got it all working now, but didn't think I'd have to jump through so many hoops just to boot a game off an external hard drive.

Purchase Swap Magic.
Put Swap Magic CD in PS2 drive.
Download Open USB Loader.
Create a folder on a flash drive and name it SWAPMAGIC. Inside it put the USB loader ELF file in there and rename that to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
Create an APP config file so you can launch any other apps you might have from USB loader.
Download Extreme USB software. Format external hard drive with it. Also use it to install a PS2 image.
Connect hard drive to USB port 1 of PS2.
Connect flash drive to USB port 2 of PS2.
Turn on PS2 -> It should now boot straight into USB loader -> Select and load game.
Due to the PS2 having USB1.1 any video scenes in the game will stutter. 50% of games don't work. It takes longer to load off the hard drive than it would off a CD or DVD. All that effort for this! Better than nothing I suppose.

sairuk
31st March 2011, 09:08 PM
Glad I've got it all working now, but didn't think I'd have to jump through so many hoops just to boot a game off an external hard drive.

It is still a hell of a lot easier now than it used to be. :lol

elvis
31st March 2011, 09:36 PM
I'm starting to see that homebrew for the PS2 isn't as polished as it is for the xbox/wii etc.
1) XBox was broken into long before PS2.

2) Xbox is a fast (733MHz) x86 with a generic Nvidia GPU running DirectX. Wii is a 729MHz PowerPC CPU with a generic ATI GPU. Both are a piece of cake to code for.

The PS2 is a highly customised 300MHz MIPS CPU with a extremely non-standard framebuffer setup that's far more "embedded" in design than the very generic PC-style XBox and Wii.

What's amazing is that the PS2 can punch out graphics that look as good as the XBox and Wii, run at the same resolution, yet all run on a machine that on paper appears to be 1/3 the speed.

What's very clear from this are three things:

1) Homebrew devs have had far more time dealing with the XBox

2) Homebrew devs can treat the XBox and Wii like a generic PC due to the similar design, but require specific knowledge code well for the PS2.

3) The raw clock speed of the XBox and Wii are advantageous for apps that would otherwise require quite a bit of optimisation on slower platforms.

So from serious discussion, we dive into...

PS2 sucks.
:lol

Arcade King
3rd April 2011, 06:15 PM
Did mine on Friday and was pretty straight forward. Does what I need it to do although a bit disappointed with no HDD for PS2 slim.
Think I'll buy myself a Ps2 fat with network adapter/HDD and do it properly.

Jaympee
3rd April 2011, 06:59 PM
Amazon seems to be the place to find new Hdd's adaptors.
Real cheap memory cards and other accesories as well.

Gonna get myself one this week.

You need a Maxtor or Seagate drive. WD wont fit.

ocdcsv
3rd April 2011, 08:54 PM
Might be interested in getting a HDD adapater and some memory card etc perhaps a group purchase save on shipping etc.

sairuk
3rd April 2011, 09:10 PM
Amazon seems to be the place to find new Hdd's adaptors.
Real cheap memory cards and other accesories as well.

Gonna get myself one this week.

You need a Maxtor or Seagate drive. WD wont fit.

As much as I wouldn't recommend them personally, elvis posted a thread about new sata adapters available at Deal Extreme, not used them myself.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-network-adapter-for-ps2-30000-50000-54329

elvis
3rd April 2011, 09:24 PM
bit disappointed with no HDD for PS2 slim.
There's software that will allow playing of games from either a USB hard disk or network (standard Windows file share) for PS2.

I've got an already chip-modded chubby PS2 with hard disk, but I'm going to have a crack at doing a soft mod on my newly acquired slim with network shares to see how it goes.

Jaympee
3rd April 2011, 09:27 PM
As much as I wouldn't recommend them personally, elvis posted a thread about new sata adapters available at Deal Extreme, not used them myself.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-network-adapter-for-ps2-30000-50000-54329

Had a look at the comments on these.

Bad knock-off, no ethernet port.

Arcade King
4th April 2011, 06:16 AM
There's software that will allow playing of games from either a USB hard disk or network (standard Windows file share) for PS2.

I've got an already chip-modded chubby PS2 with hard disk, but I'm going to have a crack at doing a soft mod on my newly acquired slim with network shares to see how it goes.

I had a look at it mate and was almost ready to boot my first usb game but at the end decided against it due to the speed restraints of the usb 1.1 port.
Most things I've read about it isn't good, only 50% compatibility and choppy videos etc. Think in the long run a Ps2 fat will be a better option for me.
Never seen the network option tho?

Frank_fjs
4th April 2011, 06:59 AM
I'm using a USB hard drive with the slimline, via the Open USB Loader software.

It's not great AK, for the reasons that you mention.

sairuk
4th April 2011, 08:18 AM
Never seen the network option tho?

Its an option in openps2loader, smb being samba or windows shares.

"Open PS2 Loader is a 100% Open source game loader compatible with USB Advance/Extreme game format and also with plain ISO format over USB and SMB."

elvis
4th April 2011, 08:28 AM
Open PS2 Loader is the one (sometimes referred to as "OPL"). I forget which thread I first read about it in, and who told me about it. (I have a funny feeling it wasn't this thread, but a different one). Anywhos...

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/open-ps2-loader-project-v0-8-a-62141/
http://sksapps.com/
http://opl.psx-scene.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm keen to give it a go when I get some time in a few weeks.

Like you, Trav, I was worried about the poor speed over USB1.1. From all accounts in-game movies just don't work, and loading times are pretty bad. But the network stuff is supposed to be fine (100mbit/s LAN is several times faster than the PS2's DVD unit).

Compatibility is pretty high (not mod-chip high, but still high):
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/open-ps2-loader-game-compatibility-62463/

And new versions are moving along pretty frequently.

Frank_fjs
4th April 2011, 09:28 AM
I haven't tried the networking option, sounds like a plan.

Using an ISO you have to split the file up into chunks, can't remember the exact limit on file size but it's present.

I found it easier to convert via the USB Extreme tool, though this seems to split files up as well.

The actual game runs at normal speed, from what I can tell, it's just movies and intro screens that stutter.

EDIT: Just worked out that the 4GB limitation is when using a FAT32 formatted drive.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Re networking, do you still need a network adapter for a slimline? The slimlines do have an ethernet port built in on the rear of the console, could I just run an ethernet cable from there to my router?

elvis
4th April 2011, 11:52 AM
Using an ISO you have to split the file up into chunks, can't remember the exact limit on file size but it's present.

EDIT: Just worked out that the 4GB limitation is when using a FAT32 formatted drive.
This is where the networking option is better. Neither NTFS (Windows) nor any modern Linux file system (ext3/ext4 being the two most common) nor HFS+ (MacOSX) have 4GB file limitations any more.

So Open PS2 Loader with network options means no cumbersome ISO splitting. Just rip'n'play.

sairuk
4th April 2011, 11:53 AM
Re networking, do you still need a network adapter for a slimline? The slimlines do have an ethernet port built in on the rear of the console, could I just run an ethernet cable from there to my router?

You should just be using the ethernet port built into the unit. A cable straight to the router should be fine.

I may try this tonight as mine is already hooked up like this, I don't foresee any issues with the hardware setup.

EDIT: This does remind me of PSO loading on the GC, hopefully much better compatibility though.

elvis
4th April 2011, 01:01 PM
As already mentioned, the internal ethernet port on a slim works fine.

If your router already does automatic network config (DHCP), then just whack her in and off you go. :)

Frank_fjs
4th April 2011, 02:53 PM
So, I just want a standard ethernet cable, same connection both ends?

Just checked out a local PC store's online site, they only seem to have LAN and crossover cables, they don't appear to be what I'm after though?

http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod170.htm <- 3M UTP Cat6 RJ45 Cable

http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod179.htm <- 3M RJ45M Crossover Cable

Edit: Or do I want a patch cable? http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod163.htm

Frank_fjs
4th April 2011, 07:57 PM
Eureka, success! Got it running over the network, much smoother experience and much less hassle. I'm a happy camper.

elvis
4th April 2011, 10:19 PM
So, I just want a standard ethernet cable, same connection both ends?

Just checked out a local PC store's online site, they only seem to have LAN and crossover cables, they don't appear to be what I'm after though?

http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod170.htm <- 3M UTP Cat6 RJ45 Cable

http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod179.htm <- 3M RJ45M Crossover Cable

Edit: Or do I want a patch cable? http://www.dnasystems.com.au/prod163.htm
For the sake of anyone following:

There's two types of ethernet cable: straight through, and crossover. (A "patch cable" is typically just a short straight through).

Gigabit by spec will auto-cross. So if either end of a connection is gigabit, cable type doesn't matter.

If you're using either 10mbit or 100mbit gear at both ends, then cable type matters.

If you're connecting a PS2 to a router, hub or switch, you want a straight-through cable. This is probably what most people are doing.

If you're connecting two PS2s together directly (one cable between the two for a direct, head to head network game), you need a crossover cable. Of course doing this means you can't use Open PS2 Loader to network boot your games. So for the sake of this thread, most people won't want this one.

Eureka, success! Got it running over the network, much smoother experience and much less hassle. I'm a happy camper.
Congratulations. Sounds like it's a winner for speed compared to USB disk.

Frank_fjs
4th April 2011, 10:39 PM
Yep, much faster than USB hard drive. Also more convenient as you don't need to 'install' games, just run off straight ISO. Only drawback is you need a cable running from the PS2 to your PC/router, but I'm sure you could get one of those wireless hub devices.

MangledLeg
5th April 2011, 12:31 PM
With the network loading software, can you install it to the memory card so its part of FreeMCboot?

Frank_fjs
5th April 2011, 02:20 PM
With the network loading software, can you install it to the memory card so its part of FreeMCboot?

I believe so. The network loading software is actually Open PS2 Loader, it allows running games from an internal hard drive, external hard drive via USB and across a network.

I don't have a Free McBoot capable PS2 so I can't tell you first hand, but I believe the whole point of Free McBoot is to enable running ELF files off the memory card, such as Open PS2 Loader.

I'm just running Open PS2 Loader from a USB stick. I turn on my PS2 and it boots straight into Open PS2 Loader, from here I can run other installed apps or play games via hard drive/network.

MangledLeg
6th April 2011, 12:29 PM
Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. Annoying that the later-generation slims can't use Free MCBoot, it's a great piece of kit - set the same thing up for a mate who had a couple of phat PS2s, one of which had a dead laser but was the LE silver model. He's been enjoying loading games off the HDD since then :)

Frank_fjs
6th April 2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah mate, experienced the same thing with my original Xbox. Bought a heap of games for it, bought not pirated, and the damn laser died in under 2 years. Since then it's been hard drive loading all the way.

Arcade King
6th April 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm having trouble with my slim and network.
Followed the instructions, made a folder converted a few games and granted access to everyone, problem is the ps2 doesnt seem to be registering on my router :unsure maybe the network ability is toast on my ps2, doesnt seem to be any lights to indicate it working so no way of telling.

elvis
6th April 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm having trouble with my slim and network.
Followed the instructions, made a folder converted a few games and granted access to everyone, problem is the ps2 doesnt seem to be registering on my router :unsure maybe the network ability is toast on my ps2, doesnt seem to be any lights to indicate it working so no way of telling.

Does your router report it's ARP table? (i.e.: the list of all MAC addresses on the network)?

From there you can check the manufacturer ID of the MAC, and see if the PS2 is showing up physically or not (reguardless if it's getting an IP or not).

Frank_fjs
6th April 2011, 05:53 PM
Are you using Open PS2 Loader AK?

I am, and basically had to do the following:

Create a folder named DVD (case sensitive, must be all capitals) on my PC hard drive. Enable sharing on this folder. Place PS2 ISO's in this folder (straight ISO, no conversion is needed). Make sure the ISO is named correctly, with correct ID number. E.g. "SLES_530.96.Worms Mayhem.iso".
Followed this guide for the network settings inside Open PS2 Loader: http://opl.psx-scene.com/8/config_net.html
Add the PS2 IP I assigned in Open PS2 Loader to my firewall software.
Save changes in Open PS2 Loader and restart the application.

You might want to try temporarily disabling your firewall, just to see if it's blocking your PS2.

Arcade King
6th April 2011, 07:31 PM
No joy guys :( Not showing up on the router. Going to try an online game to test the connection.

sairuk
6th April 2011, 08:07 PM
No luck here with this loader, as has been my experience in the past.

Its a shame, they have fixed the interface in 0.8 which is good. HDD games boot to white screen and network doesnt want too play ball.

HDLoader 0.8c for me it seems, which has served me well enough until now

elvis
6th April 2011, 08:15 PM
No joy guys :( Not showing up on the router. Going to try an online game to test the connection.
You mentioned not seeing any lights on the PS2's side. Any connection lights showing up physically on the port on the router? I'm assuming you've done the obvious like changed cables or tested another hub/switch?

It'd be a shame if the network port on the PS2 was dead. NFI how to fix that (unless it is just a simple solder crack, and then you might have an easy fix on your hands).

Arcade King
6th April 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it is dead mate I'm having no luck at all.
I thought there might be a glimmer of hope for a split second but it didn't pan out.
I was originally testing on my Laptop over the wireless. I know in the past with setting up my himedia media centre that samba and windows 7 don't get along.
I had to modify some registery settings so Samba could access folders on my main PC.
Just out of curiosity I loaded up my meda player and low and behold it wouldn't log into the PS2 iso folder. Not sure what i need to change to get it to work on the lappy running Win 7 Home premium which doesnt have the gpedit.msc that win 7 pro does which I used previously.
Anyway tried coping some ISO's to my main PC and still no go which makes me believe the problem is at the PS2