PDA

View Full Version : Build Astro City cabinet

graf
14th July 2006, 10:01 PM
Hi ppl,

Anybody out there seen plans for the "Astro City cabinet" or a similar cabinet. I like these for a upright cause it doesn't take up too much room and I like the look of them

Berty
14th July 2006, 10:23 PM
you'd be hard pressed building one of these. the closest that you will get is the sega aero city cab design, as it was their last wooden cab. I would go so far as to say that it would be cheaper and easier just to buy one.

graf
14th July 2006, 10:38 PM
it is a nice cabinet. but being plastic would be very hard to buil hehehhe.

DKong
14th July 2006, 11:18 PM
you just need a plastic injection moulding machine, and a mould. You could start the mould from finding an old cab and doing a clay mould of it. Then...nah just buy one dude!;)

graf
15th July 2006, 07:17 AM
just imange bring something like that at home and tell the wife what i am going to do. she wouldhit the roof hahahah

waks
21st August 2006, 12:19 PM
Im seriously thinking of building one also based on a Astro City.
So far I'll be using mdf to get the basic shape but will modify it a bit so the dash is a bit further away from the monitor & incorporate some decent speakers next to the monitor.

As for a monitor, I'll be taking the tv route that has a SCART plug for RGB inputs :D

Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros when I can knock something up similar for easily half that... just going to take a longer time frame...

spot
21st August 2006, 12:35 PM
i was actually thinking of doing the same thing as you waks.

but need to more of a price comparison to see how better off it would be.
it would want to be haff price or i'd just buy one.

elvis
21st August 2006, 12:47 PM
it is a nice cabinet. but being plastic would be very hard to buil hehehhe.
It's not all plastic. In fact, the majority is sheet steel. The plastic parts are usually merely the monitor bezel and control panel section.

Dunno why people get it in their heads that these things are 100% plastic. They wouldn't last in arcades if they were!

Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros

a) 29" monitor

b) "Sega" logo (no seriously... try dealing direct with the Japan second hand market and see for yourself - and remember you're not allowed to buy Sega cabinets new unless you are a Japanese arcade operator!)

c) Power supply, wiring, etc, etc, etc.

There are cheaper NEW candies out there *cough*shamlessselfpromotion*cough*. The difference being you're not paying for the Japanese name. But if you want Astro, be prepared to pay Astro prices.

Berty
21st August 2006, 01:39 PM
Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros when I can knock something up similar for easily half that... just going to take a longer time frame...

They are simply one of the best cab's of all time. The replacement cost of that nanao monitor is much more than the asking price alone.

4_ur_amusement
21st August 2006, 02:47 PM
i have them with monitor or without i just bought 4 with damaged chassis if anyone is keen and there not 1200 bucks

spot
21st August 2006, 03:12 PM
PM sent!!

Viper
21st August 2006, 06:37 PM
You'd probably get an empty Astro (maybe even with sticks and buttons) off Gatherer for less than the price of the timber you'd use to make any cab yourself!

spot
21st August 2006, 09:27 PM
You'd probably get an empty Astro (maybe even with sticks and buttons) off Gatherer for less than the price of the timber you'd use to make any cab yourself!

thats what i'd be hoping for.
even if i had to replace sticks and buttons (which i'd prolly do anyways)

4_ur_amusement
22nd August 2006, 01:48 AM
ok for every one who pmed me i may as well just post i have 5 empty astros with both flat an box type speakers on top some have all buttons and sticks some have just a control panel some have power supplies and amps some have nothing all however have doors some were parted out when new ie i bought them from japan like that and some have been used in an arcade but they would all clen up with a bit of car polish none have locks i was planning to ebay them for a buy it now of 100 bucks or there abouts for them

spot
22nd August 2006, 09:22 AM
Snip.

cool let us know if you put em on ebay.

Viper
22nd August 2006, 09:41 AM
cool let us know if you put em on ebay.
Um, he means so if you want one, $100 and it's yours. If nobody buys 'em then he'll stick 'em on eBay. :rolleyes

Hope you aren't far from Canberra though! :D

miikeboyle
22nd August 2006, 09:49 AM
any chance of posting some pics?
\

spot
22nd August 2006, 10:10 AM
Um, he means so if you want one, $100 and it's yours. If nobody buys 'em then he'll stick 'em on eBay. :rolleyes

Hope you aren't far from Canberra though! :D

ahhh ok cool.

cavanor
22nd August 2006, 10:49 AM
damn, in canberra, any idea of shipping to QLD :)

GZ20TT
22nd August 2006, 03:01 PM
I'd be in for one as well - depending on shipping to Melbourne.

I've got some rough dimensions somewhere - but any idea of the empty weight of one?

Frankie

Berty
22nd August 2006, 03:34 PM
damn, in canberra, any idea of shipping to QLD :)

about $200 door to door in the CBD

cavanor
22nd August 2006, 03:48 PM
berty, will that get cheaper with 2 and what if it was door to brisbane depot? I dont mind driving to brissy.

Berty
22nd August 2006, 04:14 PM
I bought an Astro from troy and it cost me $210 to my door. If i remember correctly, it was about $40 less to have it delivered to a depot. It would be best to ask troy about it. If you do get an empty astro shipped to Brisvegas, then i might also be interested if we can work out some way to save on freight.

spot
22nd August 2006, 04:18 PM
I'd be in for one as well - depending on shipping to Melbourne.

I've got some rough dimensions somewhere - but any idea of the empty weight of one?

Frankie

just sent you a PM about getting a couple of cabs to Melb.
(hopefully cheaper shipping!!)

cavanor
22nd August 2006, 04:25 PM
I thought berty was up my end of the world, berty id certainly be keen in splitting shipping

Berty
22nd August 2006, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a plan

4_ur_amusement
22nd August 2006, 08:24 PM
i dont reallly have the time to arrange the shipping berty used border express i took it to the depot here to save 40 bucks i can do the same for you guys

garuda
22nd August 2006, 08:48 PM
I would like a complete Astro. Any chance of one of those?:)

4_ur_amusement
22nd August 2006, 09:34 PM
i have one and one only 8 button 1 joystick per player 2 player astro chassis needs repair for 500 bucks it has a vga lead and is ready for mame

spot
22nd August 2006, 09:58 PM
i reckon i'll take 2, but can anyone suggest a good company go get them shipped down to Melb (namely Ballarat)??

thanks guys.

kramer
22nd August 2006, 10:37 PM
berty and cav, if you want to split shipping 3 ways, give me some details and costs.

garuda
22nd August 2006, 10:50 PM
Let me know how much shipping would be. I might be in also.

Viper
22nd August 2006, 11:57 PM
Astro dimensions are 75(w)x90.5(D)x144.5(H)cm. They are 93kg with the monitor and the monitors are ****ing heavy. See this thread for photos of Ryan and my Astros we picked up from Troy. Keep in mind these two machines were as they came from Japan and hadn't been touched or sited. Yours will probably be dusty as they've been sitting around a while by the looks.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=2198

revolt
23rd August 2006, 02:41 AM
Do you have any leftover cabinet pieces or just the "complete shells"? I am after the small door panel which has the coin reject thing on it, and the coin mech attached to it on the inside (upper right door looking at the bottom of the cabinet) if you have one for sale by itself. :unsure

miikeboyle
23rd August 2006, 08:59 AM
so you have 5 astro city cabinets some more complete than others, for $100 each?
Any with 6 buttons per player. or do you know if it is easy to add buttons?

Please check you PMs

Viper
23rd August 2006, 09:41 AM
As Troy is only online every other day I'll try and answer for him and he can correct me later if need be.

so you have 5 astro city cabinets some more complete than others, for $100 each?
Any with 6 buttons per player. or do you know if it is easy to add buttons?

The Astro's came to him as regular JAMMA ie. 3 buttons per player. As stated he has 1 complete machine with 8 buttons per player that has a damaged chassis. All others will probably be 3 button. I can't tell if the CP is just a piece of acrylic/plastic or a thin sheet metal bolted to a fiberglass/plastic shell but it shouldn't be too hard for you to cut extra holes once you get it home.

Do you have any leftover cabinet pieces or just the "complete shells"? I am after the small door panel which has the coin reject thing on it, and the coin mech attached to it on the inside (upper right door looking at the bottom of the cabinet) if you have one for sale by itself. :unsure

There were a couple of machines that had bit's and pieces taken from them/removed that I guess are not part of the 5 Troy is talking about. Whether he has the time or the desire to go to the trouble to remove a door and post it off when he only wants $100 for entire empty cabs is another thing :)

spot
23rd August 2006, 10:13 AM
Gatherer, PM sent, i'll take 2 if they are still available!!

feeras
23rd August 2006, 10:28 AM
The part that holds the panel is made of plastic. The control panel itself is a thin metal sheet with a printed mylar overlay.

AdamHall
23rd August 2006, 10:52 AM
Hey,

Can you tell me if the monitor in any of these is a 15k-38k auto switching model?

If so you can count me in for one. Preferably the one in the best condition? Otherwise I would like to see a pic of how much case damage there is but it shouldnt be a problem at all.

Can you please email me on adamhall@tpg.com.au with a reply or phone number so I can contact you direct?

Cheers!
Adam

miikeboyle
23rd August 2006, 11:07 AM
thank wrx for the info

gatherer, i bet you never thought you would get this much interest.
Mike

GZ20TT
23rd August 2006, 11:07 AM
Spotlanx,
I'm happy to combine shipping.

Gatherer000, I'd like 1 if any are still available.
I'm not fussed on the number of buttons/sticks as I have an oz-stick I'll be merging into the cabinet.

Frankie

miikeboyle
23rd August 2006, 11:29 AM
Back to the original topic, if you are still interested in building one, i found this link

http://mixo.matoz.free.fr/arcade_cab/

mike

Berty
23rd August 2006, 12:06 PM
Hey,

Can you tell me if the monitor in any of these is a 15k-38k auto switching model?

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forums. Astro monitors are usually 15-24Khz manual or auto switching.

Viper
23rd August 2006, 12:20 PM
The part that holds the panel is made of plastic. The control panel itself is a thin metal sheet with a printed mylar overlay.

That's what I thought originally but when I opened mine up and tapped it it sounded plastic which is why I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.

.......Otherwise I would like to see a pic of how much case damage there is but it shouldnt be a problem at all.

From memory (a couple of weeks ago) none of them are damaged as such, just dusty and/or marked which should wipe off or buff out with car polish. Maybe a few scratches here and there.

GZ20TT
23rd August 2006, 12:47 PM
Hi,
I think Spotlanx and are are in for 3. We'll combine shipping to Victoria for them. Are 3 still available?

Frankie

feeras
23rd August 2006, 01:49 PM
With regards to building a candy cabinet, I suppose anything is possible. I'm thinking it'd be vastly easier and cheaper to purchase one then attempt to build one. I believed someone already built a naomi universal cab (posted on killercabs.com) but that looked like advanced woodworking skills to me... Maybe you can locate the person who built one and get the plans off him/her.

Be aware though that the most expensive component is still the monitor (and maybe the coin mech but if you are going to make a CC you could probably work around this).

Good luck!

microwrx: I'm not sure what sort of plastic it is as I'm no expert on plastics. Heck it may not even be plastic :)

Berty
23rd August 2006, 02:11 PM
microwrx: I'm not sure what sort of plastic it is as I'm no expert on plastics. Heck it may not even be plastic :)

Tis' fiberglass.

graf
23rd August 2006, 03:49 PM
fiberglass will be hard .
man build it out of carboard hehehehe

4_ur_amusement
23rd August 2006, 04:06 PM
oh my god my priv mail thingy got jammed i had no idea everyone wanted an astro just making sure every one knows that there not complete

spot
23rd August 2006, 04:14 PM
yep thats cool by me, saves me building cabs.
(haven't woodworked since high school :p)

GZ20TT
23rd August 2006, 08:45 PM
Yep - fine by me too that they are not complete.
Same reason as Spotlanx - saves me building one.

Frankie

graf
23rd August 2006, 09:52 PM
oh my god my priv mail thingy got jammed i had no idea everyone wanted an astro just making sure every one knows that there not complete
show us some pics !!!!

graf
24th August 2006, 05:06 PM
it looks fully sick

graf
24th August 2006, 06:11 PM
any left for sale ???

4_ur_amusement
24th August 2006, 08:11 PM
well i dont know what to do i have 20 people that want them but i have 6 what to do

elvis
24th August 2006, 08:46 PM
well i dont know what to do i have 20 people that want them but i have 6 what to do
First in best dressed. In any given sales scenario, 80% of people are tyer kickers. Whoever slaps their cash down first gets the goods.

spot
24th August 2006, 09:07 PM

First in best dressed. In any given sales scenario, 80% of people are tyer kickers. Whoever slaps their cash down first gets the goods.

well said elvis.
i have cash ready to go, just need somewhere to send it!!

Viper
24th August 2006, 09:27 PM
Or whoever can get down there and pick them up gets first dibbs. Not having to **** around with preparing them for shipping companies would be my first choice. Then in order of who asked first/pays first.

graf
24th August 2006, 09:58 PM
gatherer000 where u live (anywhere near brisbane,gold coast or sunshine caost) ? I I be there saturday morning with cash in my hand :)

Viper
24th August 2006, 10:39 PM
gatherer000 where u live (anywhere near brisbane,gold coast or sunshine caost) ? I I be there saturday morning with cash in my hand :)
Canberra! So I don't think you're going to have an issue with 6 of them being picked up by someone else (although I am tempted.......nah)!

4_ur_amusement
24th August 2006, 11:07 PM
and thats my problem i had a guy ring me this morning wanting to take them all

Viper
25th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Hahaha...ha.......ha.......................bugger!

graf
25th August 2006, 07:07 AM
too far for me . oh well

feeras
25th August 2006, 08:01 AM
Here was a guy I referred earlier who made one:

http://www.killercabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks pretty impressive!

spot
25th August 2006, 09:04 AM

ahh crap :cry

elvis
25th August 2006, 09:06 AM

http://www.killercabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks pretty impressive!
Very nice work. A touch on the small side (yes, I know that was the intention), but a good effort all the same!

spot
25th August 2006, 09:50 AM
Very nice work. A touch on the small side (yes, I know that was the intention), but a good effort all the same!

yeah definetly an awesome build job, would be good to see a full size one!!

Viper
25th August 2006, 10:35 AM

Looks pretty impressive!
Nice!

spot
26th August 2006, 11:52 PM
Gatherer000, any word if you are still selling or have sold these cabs??

spot
30th August 2006, 12:08 PM
i take it from the lack of any response these have gone or not available??

Viper
30th August 2006, 01:33 PM
Not necessarily. It can occasionally be over a week before Troy can get a chance to get onto the forum.

spot
30th August 2006, 01:47 PM
ahh ok, thx for the heads up!!

4_ur_amusement
30th August 2006, 09:34 PM
im on night shif at the mo i do still have them but im trying to work out the fairest way of doing it :unsure

kramer
31st August 2006, 12:58 AM
gatherer, empty your inbox and check ya email :P
cheers,
kramer.

spot
31st August 2006, 05:50 AM
im on night shif at the mo i do still have them but im trying to work out the fairest way of doing it :unsure

yeah totally understandable. thx mate.