PDA

View Full Version : magnatron

laurie5145
27th November 2008, 07:19 PM
G`day guys,
I`m the guy who bought Magantron from e-bay (Mark C) $295.00 bit of a gamble. At first I thought I`d have to break the lock open but when taking off ute I spotted a wiring diagram pulled it out of the hole in the back and found the keys for the front door (bonus) checked and cleaned a couple of things and it all fired up with hardly any dramas, needs a shitload of work (cosmetic) but should be a winner.Even found a frank inside and with the Ausie dollor at the moment might be worth hanging on to.

illawarra_steelers
27th November 2008, 07:23 PM
Nice pickup - this is a bit of a sleeper of a pin - it is actually really fun to play.

Totally dig the art work - Gordon Morison R.I.P. must of been taking some real cool drugs in the 1970s when he was painting the backglasses for these Gottlieb pins.

If you need any parts let me know.

AskJacob
27th November 2008, 07:26 PM
I agree - love the art in this one!

Have fun (it already sounds like you came out on top with your gamble!)

Cheers
Jacob

illawarra_steelers
27th November 2008, 07:30 PM
To be honest I'm very surprised a 4 player EM fired straight up - you really got lucky there as by the look of the front door she has been sitting somewhere damp.

Go and buy a Lotto ticket :)

Fish Tales
27th November 2008, 08:17 PM
that was on ebay a few times I think? anyway dont think anyone thought it would run without work!
great score!

Martyj
27th November 2008, 08:33 PM
I had a look at this machine a couple of times at Mark's....(kicking self now...)...

Awesome stuff Laurie.. Looking forward to seeing photos of your resto on this one. Couple of EM's now, almost time for a DMD???!!! :p

laurie5145
27th November 2008, 08:42 PM
When I mean fired up straight away I did give all the conecting plugs a good
clean but that was about all. The score wheels all reset, a couple need a bit of hand but after that the score motor stops and shoots out ball out for player one, the bonus stepper doesn`t work,but all in all you could just about have a game if it had rubbers. I`ve taken heaps of photos so now I can start taking it apart, might make a whole new cab for it. Being a cabinetmaker I am more at home with that than the electrical side but I find it like a big puzzle sorting out one problem at a time, It`s my third pin now and I have got the bug (bigtime)

Still got the Aztec and Gorgar , find myself playing the Aztec more.

Strangeways
27th November 2008, 09:19 PM
Good score Laurie - and typical of an EM - it fired up first go after being stored for decades... So much for the myth that EMs are "Hard to fix" and "are always having problems" :D Try firing a DMD up after 20 years !!

markc
27th November 2008, 09:48 PM
well done

it was the last em we had from that batch

and it works

mark

retropin
27th November 2008, 11:55 PM
And at $295.00 is a down right steal!!

Well done... and i have to agree - the artwork on this one is awesome

Strangeways
28th November 2008, 10:19 AM
And at $295.00 is a down right steal!!

Well done... and i have to agree - the artwork on this one is awesome

I saw that game a few times and thought it would be a great project..

Definitely one that got "under the radar"..

stuba
28th November 2008, 10:25 AM
dammn thats a great score. well done!

laurie5145
28th November 2008, 04:45 PM
At first I thought how come no-one else wanted it, mind you it did look pretty shit, but when I found the key for the front door and finaly got it open half an hour later I was stoked. I rekon you make your own luck. I will be needing some parts for it ,I`m sure to have a bit of a list, I do need for my Aztec the stainless glass support for backglass and a set of springs for the player stepper, PM me some-one who can fix me up, cheers Laurie

Martyj
28th November 2008, 07:47 PM
I saw the machine had a bit of corrosion on a few parts. Strangeways' I believe has been working on some new techniques for removal which came up like new! Definetely worth a shot!

How have the playfield plastics come up after some novis?

illawarra_steelers
28th November 2008, 08:14 PM
At first I thought how come no-one else wanted it, mind you it did look pretty shit, but when I found the key for the front door and finaly got it open half an hour later I was stoked. I rekon you make your own luck. I will be needing some parts for it ,I`m sure to have a bit of a list, I do need for my Aztec the stainless glass support for backglass and a set of springs for the player stepper, PM me some-one who can fix me up, cheers Laurie

Laurie,

Send me your mailing address via a PM and I will send you a set of springs for the stepper - they are used but will do the job

laurie5145
28th November 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks illawalla steelers, pm sent, I have tried a bit of novus on one plastic and they will come up great , I`ve already removed most of the mylar, some pait lifted but I might take the whole playfield down to a guy who used to match paint for a couple of cars he can mix paint spot on. I should spend time on other things but I can`t help myself, cheers Laurie

illawarra_steelers
28th November 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks illawalla steelers, pm sent, I have tried a bit of novus on one plastic and they will come up great , I`ve already removed most of the mylar, some pait lifted but I might take the whole playfield down to a guy who used to match paint for a couple of cars he can mix paint spot on. I should spend time on other things but I can`t help myself, cheers Laurie

No worries Laurie,

Glad to see you are enjoying your pin.

This pin holds lots of memories. At one of the local pinball parlours (oh they were the days!!!) they had a Duotron (2 player version of Magnatron) on location.

This was around 1976 and the other pins in this line up included High Hand, Volley (brand new), Big Shot, Delta Queen, Spanish Eyes, Apollo (really sad), King Pin and a few others. This place was right on the beach and after going for a wave used to come back and play the pins until the place closed.

Can remember placing our thongs under the front legs to slow the game down to make it easier to win games

Anyway we used to play Duotron all the time, not sure why. Anyway tracked a real nice one down (see Michael Shalhoub's 2nd book - that is my game) and it was such a buzz playing it again. The game is gone but she still holds a soft spot in my heart :rolleyes

The real sad thing is the actual pinball parlour burnt to the ground in 1978 and all the pins went with it.

Tracked a photo down a few years ago of the place just before it burnt down and will post soonish.

ROLLERBALL
29th November 2008, 12:58 PM
Great price and nice pickup...

those pics would be cool Tony...

Pity none of us kids ever though about taking pictures of our local arcades back in the day....would have been fantastic to see pics from back then today..Think i need a time machine...lol...take me back to 79

laurie5145
4th December 2008, 07:27 PM
I done a few repairs to missing paint, not the best but getting better at this all the time, placed mylar over repaired section, still some more to go, sticker to be made up (100 POINTS & OPENS GATE) looks alot better than when I got it. Best I keep working on the cheap games and maybe one day I too would be ready to take on a machine like (KISS) mind you my budget might be a bit less, cheers Laurie

Davefjedi
4th December 2008, 07:33 PM
Looking good mate wish I had the patience for that

jyebow
4th December 2008, 09:52 PM
Nice work Laurie. It's looking great.

illawarra_steelers
4th December 2008, 09:58 PM
Looks like she is coming along well. The more you work on this game, the more you will push yourself to clean and fix up other parts of the pin that may need additional work.

Remember if you need any advice ask away!

Seriously what do you think Gordon Morison was on when he painted these backglasses? :lol You know the saying - what ever it was half will do :)

Laurie did the springs arrive for the Aztec yet?

laurie5145
4th December 2008, 10:38 PM
G`day,

Thanks Tony, got the springs and coil. haven`t had a chance to sort it out yet, got a bit carried away with my new game, and for sure there is bound to be a shit-load of questions but first a lot of rust has to be removed before I get down to all the many other parts that will also need a fair bit of attention, geez no time. I`ll have to give up work to fix my pinballs, keep on buying lotto tickets. cheers Laurie

goodolddays
17th March 2009, 10:27 AM
Gday Laurie .. just to give you some inspiration .. here's my Duotron playfield after the usual TLC (haven't gotten around to the Magic eraser treatment yet).. I've had this game for 3 years and took me over 2000 games before I finally clocked it :)