PDA

View Full Version : A pirates life for me

frs
13th July 2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/pirates_of_the_caribbean/pirates_of_the_caribbean_1.htm

test location pics of Sterns latest offering

NMD
13th July 2006, 03:52 PM
Looks great! Im not a fan of the siderails though i think they should just improve the quality of the side art although i guess the extended rail is the cheaper option. Will be good to see the artwork on the plastics and i hope i get the chance to have a go if one hits Sydney.

Anyone here preorder or intend on buying one ?

Things are looking good for pinball latley, lots of parts comming through, BBB gets done and finally POTC pics arrive :D

rottenpig
13th July 2006, 03:54 PM
cool - progress. looks good. my first thought was that the entire machine would be dark and worn looking - keeping with the evil pirate theme but they've gone all colourfull, even darker than black rose, like all black, brown, dark reds etc. they havn't overdone the playfield either which is good, and i like the parlay ball capture!

bwodie
13th July 2006, 04:19 PM
yah i think the plastic lookin side rails are shithouse
looks ok... not to impressed tho

frs
13th July 2006, 04:32 PM
While it could well be an awesome pin to play, I have doubts about it.

what's up with leaving half the playfield empty? surely they could do *something* with the bottom half, rather than just inserts galore?

maybe there's a pop-up I haven't seen ala Medievals trolls or CV's pop bumpers, but right now it looks like wasted real estate? :unsure

NMD
13th July 2006, 04:41 PM
Hmm i dont know, id rather an open playfield than a crowded one. Hopefully it plays fast and doesnt have too much stop and start

The completed artwork might make it look a bit more "filled"

catty
13th July 2006, 05:42 PM
Looks okay, but one reason why I am not a big fan on the newer pins is that the playfields are to full of crap. Too many toys, ramps and shit. I like a bit of art and soem good olf drop targets. However a new pin is better then no pin.

GEE
13th July 2006, 06:16 PM
1. Looks almost Williams-esque in its artwork (though I hope that's not the final ship). But overall nice.

2. I wonder how that blue spinning whirlpool works? I hope it's player-controlled, rather than just a random bounce-a-rama like Party Zone, so that an element of skill is involved in hitting the targets.

3. Nice to see a 'real' skill shot on a Stern machine again.

4. That lower playfield does look a bit bare. If something pops up out of it (say, a Kracken) then it will be great. If not, I'd be worried whether there are enough shots to keep long term interest.

DialogPimp
13th July 2006, 11:05 PM
I'm going to go against the flow here (pun intended) and say that a non-flow or stop-start game might be a welcome change. And the initial reports suggest POTC might be so.

I know everyone talks about great flow in pins, shot this, shot that etc etc. Personally I'd rather a collection of machines where each one plays differently and more importantly requires *you* to change your playing style, rather than have them all the same.

DJS
13th July 2006, 11:34 PM
Not bad not bad at all

i like the art work so far - incl the cab "perfer normal rails i thinks"

will be interesting what the final run looks like and what they do with all the clear plastics/ramps - i for one find them a lil off putting "maybe my eyes are going".

when is the release date???

cheers
darren

terry007
14th July 2006, 12:19 AM
I like the siderails, the wrinkle finish is a nice touch and the Flipper "guards" are a good idea that probably wouldnt stand out so much if the cab was a darker colour.

I agree about the rampsthough, they need some art work otherwise they look a bit cheap IMHO.

NMD
14th July 2006, 01:18 PM
Gamplay video HERE (http://www.webwidevideo.com/showproject.php?project=P1051). Its a largish download but worth it :) How cool is the ship !

Credit to TheKorn [rpg]

Savage
14th July 2006, 01:24 PM
No Sound on my work computer but does look good!

rottenpig
14th July 2006, 01:34 PM
very cool, the ship feature looks just like the medieval madness castle, but is still cool. it looks nothing like the ones in the movies though which should be changed. the whirlpool thing was sweet too. looks like a pretty fast pinny.

i noticed everyone who posted likes different things. half hate something but the other half think it's good. personally, i hate it when the bottom half of the playfield is full of crap, i like lots of flashing lights and ramps, ramps are good, and for me, every pinbal should have a dam plunger, not a gun or a fishing rod!. you can't please everyone.

hamish_nz
14th July 2006, 01:40 PM
Looks good. The ship sinking is a nice effect.

I wonder which ops in AUZ will be buying a POTC?
I have not played WPT or The Nascar machine

rottenpig
14th July 2006, 01:47 PM
Looks good. The ship sinking is a nice effect.

I wonder which ops in AUZ will be buying a POTC?
I have not played WPT or The Nascar machine

i havn't played nascar, but WPT is a sweet machine, awesome fun. it reminds me of the old pinnys with all its drop targets and empty looking playfield. it would definitely be one of the best new-school pinnies i've played out of that, LOTR, the simpsons, grand prix (also very cool), elvis, AP etc. oooh, grand prix and austin powers are sweeeet.

hamish_nz
14th July 2006, 01:53 PM
The art work and the theme of a machine is a big thing for me. Graphic Designer
WPT looks really bad and card themes have been done to death.

The best sterns for me is the Simpson & LOTR.

elvis
14th July 2006, 02:05 PM
YARRR (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html)

http://newsdesigner.com/blog/images/pirate.jpg

asalza
19th July 2006, 01:24 PM
Wow, looks like som-one is already offering a new one for sale..
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PIRATES-OF-THE-CARIBBEAN-PINBALL-BRAND-NEW-OZ-STOCK_W0QQitemZ120010390560QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3945 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Savage
19th July 2006, 01:26 PM
I was under impression that it wasn't finished off. I mean if you look at the back, where the Play Field ends, there's just a red back with lights sticking out, looks like it's half done?

bwodie
19th July 2006, 01:44 PM
" The red plastics and decals are just placeholders for the final artwork."

frs
19th July 2006, 04:10 PM
pinballsales.com has posted some of what the final artwork will look like ... lucky bugger got a factory tour at Stern

http://www.pinballsales.com/asp/aa_POTC.asp

bwodie
19th July 2006, 04:22 PM
oh man the stacks of em at the factory
so gooooooood
4200 US
bet they gunna be much more here

frs
19th July 2006, 04:30 PM
there's one on ebay already mate, I think the 'buy it now' price is your house and your arse :o

hope the arcade in Brisvegas on albert st gets one

bwodie
19th July 2006, 06:39 PM
yah already saw that, but ebay dont mean shit on how much it would cost for a retailer. they would just be testing the water with a high price

DialogPimp
19th July 2006, 07:42 PM
Retail for POTC from AMD is $7450 or thereabouts (and we know from past experience that Bruce doesn't seem keen to budge on price). That Ebay seller is just trying to cash in on the anticipated demand.

If you shop around, you should be able to do a little better.

bwodie
19th July 2006, 07:44 PM
would rather 3 other 2nd hand pinnys :D

frs
28th July 2006, 04:27 PM
there's a post on RGP this arvo saying POTC arrived in oz today

Sydney and Adelaide are both definitely receiving shipments - if anyone's keen to play it, start checking your arcades

pocketmoney
28th July 2006, 06:39 PM
played it this arvo. <at a distributers>

heaps of "toys" and modes to keep you guessing.
nice multi-ball feature with the rotating "friction" disk being a mini-captive play field and if you good enough to shoot all balls to it withing allowed time nice multiball. 5 from memory i think <alot was happening>

had only 4 games or so.. seems like a low scorer <well i only got 45mil anyway>.

sinking ship o.k. Heaps of movie sound bites <as you would expect> and quite well done.. very good sample rates.

Artwork, well the slingshot plastics <single colour in pre-release photos> are now quite bland images that look extrememly pale.. almost look badly faded from day one.

a very large plastic shield stopping bounced/launched balls hitting the toys/areas on the upper left side of machine... a bit wierd when you first look at it.

like it more than LOTR but long term appeal will be hard to say atm.

I am sure there is quite alot more in the game than I was able to discover in the short time I played it... I will be back for more I am sure.

cheers
Paul.