PDA

View Full Version : router issues

opm881
20th November 2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, so i have a home network. got a dlink router hooked into the modem and that lets me connect both the computer in the office directly up tot he router and allows me to connect my computer from my room via a wall plug. Now i have a problem, I have an xbox 360 and a media/storage pc set up in my room. My problem is that I only have 1 wall plug and dont want to run any more. I found an old switch lieing around, a netgear FR114P and tried using that. My computer under network connections says its connected to the internet when it actually isnt. any ideas?

AdamC
20th November 2008, 08:06 PM
Are you wanting to connect the 360 to the network too ?
Cant you plug the 360 into the computer and tell the comp to share its internet connection. You will need another PCI lan card in the comp tho.

I plug my 360 into my laptop and its sharing the wireless internet connection with it.

Ive never used a switch , so cant help you there.

Brad
20th November 2008, 08:16 PM
Okay does the switch have an up-link port or is it automatic?

If so you need to plug an ethernet cable into the uplink port or any available port that is automatic. All the spare ports then become your network points.

If your switch is really old and has no uplink or auto function you'll need a crossover cable instead to plug into your wall socket.

Make sure your router is set for DHCP or of not you know how to assign static IP addresses to each device on the network.

Then just plug as many devices as you have empty ports on your switch

Brad

opm881
20th November 2008, 08:25 PM
it has a button that says normal and when you press it it turns to uplink. Will try that. I wouldve done the computer thing but my computer only has 1 network port

opm881
26th November 2008, 02:00 PM
stuff it, couldnt get the thing to work. It stopped working a while back and just found it recently and thought i would give it a go seeing if i could just get a couple of ports moving. Just gonna spend the 10 bucks or how ever much it is to get pci network card for my main comp

mxd
26th November 2008, 03:25 PM
if it's a router it could be doing DHCP