PDA

View Full Version : Black Dragon to Black Tiger

Arcade King
21st November 2005, 07:12 PM
Bought this one off E-bay last week HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3945&item=6224368929)

I just converted it to Black Tiger using the set blktiger.zip in MAME.
You don't need to change all the roms only these.
On the CPU board
5E,6E,8E,9E,10E
On the Video Board
4B,5B,8B,9B

I can't see the graphic fault the guy mentions however the volume pot is busted....the sound is Fkn LOUD

I've done plenty of conversions from now on ill document them. Pics below

EDIT:Changing the sound pot fixed the sound as expected. I found the graphic fault the guy mentioned when i put the game in my cab, pretty simple really the voltage was too low 4.65 to be exact.

Arcade King
28th November 2005, 08:14 PM
Just a quick update on this.

I noticed in my cab the game was slightly glitching with lines in the characters. The voltage was at 4.96 so I decided it must be a fault and investigate.
Doing a bit of poking around and found it the problem to be a 74LS74 at 6F by piggy backing a known good 74.
I popped a socket in and desolded the same brand 74 off another scrap Black Dragon I have here. Switched it on Lines were back in the characters!
The chip I piggy backed was a Mitsubishi branded 74Ls74 so I popped it back in lines gone.
Intesting I now can lower the voltage of the board to 4.3 and it still runs great with no glitches. Good sign of a heathy board to be sure.
Moral of the story? who knows. The Hitachi branded chip appeared to be working properly when I run over it with my Logic Probe. Perhaps I just picked off another flakey chip by chance?!!
Added a couple of pics first one is the Mitsubishi and second the Hitachi replacement both running at 4.5 volts.

Shock_And_Awe
28th November 2005, 09:11 PM
slightly off topic but typical for me in that I can never comment much on the tech side of things - I've been determined to complete this game on one credit. Finally did so on Saturday night. Great game! My work is done, now I can sleep easy:D
Are you playing the game Trav?

PS Don't tell Ian......maybe it will be next week's game in the MGL:lol

Arcade King
28th November 2005, 09:19 PM
Nice :D

Well....I do enjoy watching the kids play it :) I been so busy Fixing this Moon Patrol/Ranger havent had the time to play but now thats fixed I'll get into actually playing the fruits of my labour :lol
I actually enjoy Black tiger more than GNG.

My greatest triumph has to be this Moon Ranger I recently bought from E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3945&item=6217287521) and brought it back from the dead. IF you are farmiliar with the Moon Patrol PCB its a 4 layer board and every single layer was dead as a door nail, I was just lucky to have a working set to help with the repair. The bootleg boards are pretty much identicle to the originals and are well made.
It is interesting to note that Moon Ranger in MAME is missing a rom. if you check Klov (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=M&game_id=8750) you will see its Spelt Moon Rancor in the screen shots and looks pretty shit. I found out from when I got this one going that there is a extra Rom(rom 11) on the bottom board that completes the letters. I have to admit even though its the Bootleg name it looks good when complete so I reframed from reprogramming it. I was going to sell one now I think ill keep them....how sad=me
I have been writing a repair log for it so keep a eye out. I belive It would be getting close to the 40+ chip mark to fix.

Hmm gotta stop crapping on.

SectionZ
26th April 2008, 10:10 PM
Bought this one off E-bay last week HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3945&item=6224368929)

I just converted it to Black Tiger using the set blktiger.zip in MAME.
You don't need to change all the roms only these.
On the CPU board
5E,6E,8E,9E,10E
On the Video Board
4B,5B,8B,9B

I just converted My bootleg board, only difference was I had to use the 5E rom from the bootleg set ('1') with the original it just hung on the warning screen.
Cheers, Sean.

Womble
28th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Nice :D
I have been writing a repair log for it so keep a eye out. I belive It would be getting close to the 40+ chip mark to fix.

I know that feeling, am there with my TMNT basket case, any other game and I would have snapped the PCB over my knee to put an end to it, but its TMNT and I cant do that. It keeps getting taken off my "too hard" pile and fiddled with.

Have replaced 43 chips so far, got it to boot the test screen, the text is corrupted F23 ram test fails (3 blobs for "bad" rather than 2 blobs for "OK") and then it watchdog resets.

I want to get the RAM ROM test visible, the ROM test screen has text inbetween the ROM results that MAME shows up, but its illegible - curious.

Recent testing shows the clock is all over the place, chopped the clock's ALS04 and LS04 out and awaiting replacements. That will make it 45 chips, only 13 originals left.

Womble
21st June 2008, 12:11 PM
Have just done the same conversion myself. The original roms were the program once type and replacing the ones needed to convert the game has fixed a number of problems I was expecting to be logic based. I knew ROM 15 on the second board was duff as my reader complained about out of spec pins, and when it was present all the text and inventory icons were mangled, when it was removed this was all missing.

Programmed the set listed above, and a new 15 rom and the game is now perfect. The odd thing is that with the original ROMs installed a new #15 ROM filled the screen with crap. Also the dragon that appears on the start screen with the lightning was doubled up, I assumed that was a logic problem and it seemed to be heat related. New ROMs has fixed everything, despite all the old ROMS with the exception of #15 giving the correct checksum in WinROMId.