PDA

View Full Version : MythTV Questions :)

Mickey Juice
19th November 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm in the process of slowly nutting out a MythTV setup (Dell GX270 backend (Mythbuntu) + Xbox (XBMX) front end) and have a few questions... I started a new thread to put them all together :)

These are/will be really n00bish questions 'cause I'm a Mythvirgin, as well as a linux/ubuntu virgin!

* How do you delete channels from the channel editor?
I hit enter on particular channels I didn't want and deleted the channel number...

This kinda worked but then watching TV the video was corrupt ie pixelisation, skipping etc. I rescanned and it worked...

Does using the channel info via Mythweb delete them properly?

Mickey Juice
21st November 2008, 11:46 AM
Bought a good shielded coax cable which solved the reception problems.

Deleting channels via Mythweb worked fine.

I installed Shepherd TV guide and it works fine
http://svn.whuffy.com/index.cgi/wiki/Installation

* What's the best & most secure way to connect to Mythweb via outside internet?

elvis
21st November 2008, 11:52 AM
Deleting channels via Mythweb worked fine.
That's what I do to. You can also do it from the backend mythtv-setup program, but the web interface works well enough.

* What's the best & most secure way to connect to Mythweb via outside internet?
Same way you'd secure access to any website: either use htaccess (and optionally SSL if you want crypto, which probably isn't super important), or lock it off completely and force connection to your network via VPN.

[edit]

From memory the mythweb plugin should ask you if you want to make it password protected on config. You can re-init the config in Ubuntu/Debian by running:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythweb

If that doesn't offer the option, I'll explain how to do it manually.

Mickey Juice
25th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks mate, will look into it.

I (vaguely) remember you mentioning you encode your videos after recording.
What do you use? nuvexport?

Not sure if I'll use it. ATM I'm just watching the raw mpgs thru the XBMC, and anything I want to keep I'm transferring to the PC and will encode.

elvis
25th November 2008, 10:44 PM
I use the internal MythTV compress which creates the NUV files (NUV container, MPEG4 codec). If I want to watch them on another machine, VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) plays them natively on any OS.

Mickey Juice
24th February 2009, 09:18 PM
Is it possible to scan just individual channels without re-doing the lot? I've lost SBS :(

elvis
24th February 2009, 10:20 PM
In the backend config you can go in the channel editor, and from there I *think* you can add a channel manually if you know the frequency.

I've been meaning to rescan my setup to pick up the new channels that have appeared recently.

Mickey Juice
25th February 2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm, I didn't find a manual entry...
Tho I think you can import them from a file? Tho I'm not sure how to export them to start with!

I might just do a complete re-scan....

elvis
25th February 2009, 04:17 PM
They're all stored in the database. If you know SQL, it's pretty easy to modify them.

I'll have a look when I get home and see if I can find the exact table. The "MythWeb" addon should also give you a GUI interface to the complete database editor.

nellistc
25th February 2009, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I didn't find a manual entry...
Tho I think you can import them from a file? Tho I'm not sure how to export them to start with!

I might just do a complete re-scan....

Not sure if you can 'add' channels individually, but you can scan particular frequencies to only get the channels you want. Can't remember what the option is called, but it's in the channel editor screens.

If you want to get channel info from the database, the frequencies are in the dtv_multiplex table (in 0.21 anyway).

cheers.

Mickey Juice
15th January 2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like my Mythbox is borked!

Mythbuntu filled the HDD to it's limit with recordings... When I rebooted (not knowing what's going on) it asked for details to connect to the backend?

I manually deleted a large video file and got back some space...

But now I can't connect via mythweb, or even start the backend setup... it just skips to 'run mythfilldatabase' and exits??

Any ideas? I think the database is corrupt?

xen
15th January 2010, 06:06 PM
Heya Mickey,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I spent a heap of time looking at various PVR systems on PC a while back. I honestly wouldn't recommend anything except the Windows Vista / 7 Media Center.

I'm so *not* an MS apologist, but there's a level of polish about that product which no other PVR I've seen has. Myth and Mediaportal both felt like the parts were all held together with gaff tape. I'm a SQL programmer, and hell if I want to think about how that's tied into Myth and MP....

I get that there are people who need a particular feature that only MTV / MP have, but honestly, MC has a level of "it just goes" that the others don't.

Put it to you this way - I recently setup a MC PC for my Grandma. I wouldn't *dream* of doing that with any of the alternatives.

E.g. MC has a system for deleting old recordings as space is needed. Sounds like a minor thing, until you manage to fill your system as you have, and it freaks out entirely.

Anyway, I realize you're a ways into the project, and changing to another app might not impress you. Just wanted to throw in my rapidly revaluing A2c :-)

Mickey Juice
15th January 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the advice mate, but I think I'll stick with MythTV for the moment.
It does everything I need ie can connect to it via the web, connects to my frontend XBMC boxes fine...

It looks like I can't connect to the mythconverg database... It always comes up with database connection setup...
Mythconverg might be borked. hmm.

Do you lose your recordings ie original files if you rebuild the mysql database?

Mickey Juice
15th January 2010, 09:42 PM
Arg! >_<

Finally fixed it. For some reason the user/password of the main mythconverg DB defaulted to root/blank. Changed it in mysql.txt and it worked :)

Few more Q's:

> Is there a way to prevent the mythtv box from filling 100% ?

> How do you delete recordings from the mythweb listings that are no longer there ie original files are gone, but they're still in the DB?

sairuk
15th January 2010, 10:14 PM
> How do you delete recordings from the mythweb listings that are no longer there ie original files are gone, but they're still in the DB?

Easiest way seems to be to recreate a dummy file in its place for mythtv to find and delete. Try this:

touch /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/<RECORDING FILENAME>.MPG

then delete the recording through normal methods

Ryan555
16th January 2010, 04:34 PM
Few more Q's:

> Is there a way to prevent the mythtv box from filling 100% ?

When you set a program to record eg. in Mythweb there are tick boxes, one of them is for auto expire recording, if set it will delete the recording if space is needed.

Mickey Juice
19th January 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try them out.

Has anyone ever had an error with the tv guide being out by 12 hours?

For some reason my PM and AM are mixed up eg at 5.30PM, I'm getting all the morning shows like Today etc, instead of the afternoon news etc which are now showing under 5.30AM o_O

I'm using Shepherd TV grabber... and the clock seems to be fine on the box itself?

Mickey Juice
11th March 2010, 03:38 PM
Dumb question...

but if I install a second tuner card, do I have to tune that one in as well? o_O

xen
11th March 2010, 03:41 PM
FWIW, in Media Center you do. Even with an identical tuner -_-

Mickey Juice
3rd March 2011, 11:43 AM
Does anyone use the mythtv front end to watch DVDs?
I enabled the libdvdcss and w32codecs with Mythbuntu Control Centre and I can play DVDs via VLC media player... Just the internal mythbuntu player doesnt work :(
It just flashes a black screen when I choose to play a DVD and returns to the Myth menu....