27th October 2008, 10:27 PM

ajlaird
27th October 2008, 10:58 PM
Turn it off before tinkering?

BuRNZ
27th October 2008, 11:08 PM

ajlaird
27th October 2008, 11:29 PM
Of course I turned it off before tinkering but I think these monitors hold a charge?

Just reading up on it now.

http://www.andysarcade.net/personal/tech/discharging.txt

Yeah, they sure do - looks like you have found something useful there. I forgot to use the smiley last time.

opm881
28th October 2008, 12:02 AM
the charge shouldnt affect you unless you were trying to remove the chassis from the tube as far as i know. Does the monitor still power up?

spacies
28th October 2008, 07:09 AM
Your PCB requires 2 power supplys.
The ATX will fire the board and show a pic on the screen. The Arcade PSU allows your joys and buttons to work. If they aren't working that the first place I would check.

And yeah, be careful mate. I haven't had a shock for a couple of years now (touch wood).
Just watch where your hands are going. Nobody wants you to get hurt.

Fish Tales
28th October 2008, 07:15 AM
2 shocks this year, 1 from a TV that I pulled-apart, and one from a pinball as I was leaning in to reach a stray screw.

TV one hurt alot more.

neo-mvs-man
28th October 2008, 05:15 PM
Generally if you brush it with your hand and your other hand is near or touching metal *BANG* your gunna feel it...........proffessionals, i have heard always force themselves to keep on hand in thier pocket at all times!

Eg, only use one hand at a time (if you can), trust me it works, it's a good zap but wont really hurt you unless you have a weak heart, or if it scares you then you rip your hand out slicing it on sharp metal as you do!

So remember keep a hand in your pockey, and try not to touch the flyback plug on the tube, or if you are really worried discharge it, but i think it's overkill if you aren't doing anything to the tube/chassis.

BuRNZ
16th December 2008, 10:35 PM

AskJacob
16th December 2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry to raise the dead but better than starting another thread. :)

My cocktail cab powers up game menu on the screen. It even makes the coin sound when I insert a coin. But the controls still don't work. :(

I've gone over this mess of wires as best I can and found this wire has come loose.

Could this be why my controls no longer work?

It looks like a ground wire for something - No doubt it needs to be re-connected!