PDA

View Full Version : Software Variants, A Question

Simon_A
25th October 2008, 05:38 PM
Hey people, have a quick question.

Of all of the various software frontends there are for jukeboxes. Which ones ARENT tag dependant? IOW which ones just run off filenames.

I know SK does, what others?

David_AVD
25th October 2008, 06:01 PM
Mine (Aussie Juke) uses tags if present but falls back to the filename structure if no valid tag is found. It does this on a song by song basis. To do this the files must be in "Artist > Album > Title.mp3" directory format.

Black Tiger
19th November 2008, 11:22 PM
I know SK does, what others?

It's interesting because I have to run SK with the ID3 tag feature tuned off because if I turn it on, the program locks up and freezes when it's scanning the albums.
It's got me beat as to why it's doing that - it makes it hard with compilation albums as it doesn't display the artist names

daics3522
19th November 2008, 11:30 PM
It's interesting because I have to run SK with the ID3 tag feature tuned off because if I turn it on, the program locks up and freezes when it's scanning the albums.
It's got me beat as to why it's doing that - it makes it hard with compilation albums as it doesn't display the artist names

Partytime also.
Just drop your music into a file and then specify the folder for partytime to locate it................

Brad
20th November 2008, 01:08 PM

SK Juke will halt when it finds what it considers bad tags. Usually it will halt on the offending album or the one either side. What I did was cut/pasted the offending albums out and SK could then re-scan. You can fix the tags as well of course.

Brad

Simon_A
20th November 2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah I found with tags turned on it would take an awfull long time to load, so I switched it off.

I like the idea of the software ignoring the tags like SKjuke does.

I spent the better part of a day on the weekend filling in all the tag info in my music collection (1500+ albulms). And iTunes still gets the info wrong.

Black Tiger
20th November 2008, 10:10 PM
SK Juke will halt when it finds what it considers bad tags. Usually it will halt on the offending album or the one either side. What I did was cut/pasted the offending albums out and SK could then re-scan. You can fix the tags as well of course.

dude!!! thanks for that Brad! I have noticed it halts on a certain album!

So I was wondering what constitutes a bad tag? all my albums use ID3 with the ID4 fields left blank. Maybe it's when there's information in both the ID3 and ID4 fields that causes problems??

Brad
21st November 2008, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure to be honest. I use Tag and Rename and have it set to all. Sk Juke will run with tag support on but I found it easier to use file name mode instead. You really want tag mode if your using Genres's.

Once your set though set it to use a Static database then you never have to worry about scanning or bad tags again unless you add more albums. I run mine in static mode all the time. Boots up straighaway without load waits and you off.

Brad

acejas
21st November 2008, 08:57 AM
I mucked around with bad tags for awhile. One such album was originally WMA (forget tagging them too btw) and converted to MP3. For the life of me I couldnt get it to read correctly. Gave up in teh end. Tag & rename will help you heaps in getting your tags right

Black Tiger
22nd November 2008, 01:59 PM
I mucked around with bad tags for awhile. One such album was originally WMA (forget tagging them too btw) and converted to MP3. For the life of me I couldnt get it to read correctly. Gave up in teh end. Tag & rename will help you heaps in getting your tags right

Mine is doing something weird - after is scans a whole heap of albums it freezes on the offending tagged album, so I cut it out temporarily and paste it on the desktop, then then I do a rescan, it freezes on the next album in whatever sequence it is on my hard drive, so I cut that one out and then it freezes on the next?!? it like a big, bad batch in the middle of my collection!??! weird?!?

I guess if worst comes to worst, I'll have to sit down and rename each file with the artist name in the file name.

......I should be finished by 2050 :lol