PDA

View Full Version : Textured Vinyl

Brad
25th October 2008, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know where I could source some textured vinyl in Brisbane? I tried Bunnings and Lincraft and nothing. I was looking at spotlight but the closest store is Logan.

Cheers,
Brad

prktkljokr
25th October 2008, 12:52 PM
Do you have any sign writers around you?
If so ask them where they buy thier vinyl from, There is a product called blackboard vinyl and it is exactly the same as the textured vinyl they use on the control panel on the old LAI woody lowboys and other cabs .
Its about $30 a metere but it is 1200 wide, very hard wearing and easy to apply

Johns-Arcade
25th October 2008, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know where I could source some textured vinyl in Brisbane? I tried Bunnings and Lincraft and nothing. I was looking at spotlight but the closest store is Logan.

Cheers,
Brad

How much do you need? I have a small amount of self adhesive textured vinyl left over when I built my Dragon's Lair cabs about 5 years ago. Your welcome to it if it's suitable for your needs.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Brad
25th October 2008, 01:13 PM
I need about 60x80cm & 60 x 60cm. Not a lot as it's for the bezel and front of this cabinet:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=17590&page=2

I was going to paint it but I think the textured vinyl would come up a LOT better and be harder wearing. If what you have is suitable John, I'd love to take it off your hands and very generous of you. If not, I'll definitely try your option too prktkljokr. I was hoping to grab it this weekend but doesn't look like that will happen LOL!

Cheers guys,
Brad

spacies
25th October 2008, 01:31 PM
You wont get this stuff from Bunnings.
You need to go to an Automotive Upholsterer or Fabric Store.

neo-mvs-man
25th October 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sure Clark rubber does an adhesive vinyl:unsure

Brad
25th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah I've been to 2 fabric store branches and nothing......unless I want beige green or white :unsure

Brad

spacies
25th October 2008, 01:38 PM
Ok. When I was using it I always purchased from the local Upholsterer. Any nearby?
Prolly not much luck on a Saturday though.

Brad
25th October 2008, 01:41 PM
There is a Clark Rubber at Capalaba. I won't get anything today so no biggie. I'm searching yellowpages now for upholsterers though. Thanks for the tips guys.

Brad

biggeorge
25th October 2008, 03:10 PM
I bought some from spotlight a few years ago for about 3 bucks a metre.

For about $30 I upholstered the interior of my datsun and have enough spare to do quite a few arcade control panels and other wacky projects I dream up.

As for making it stick, you just use contact glue like the kind used for sniffing purposes, and you'll be very happy with your work, whether it looks like shit or not. :D

Johns-Arcade
25th October 2008, 04:00 PM
I'll dig out what I have and will PM you the results.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Black Tiger
25th October 2008, 10:47 PM
This is the kind of stuff I like:

http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech11.html

there's stuff called Tolex and and an alternative texture called Nubtex - it's what they use on classic vintage guitar/bass amps and although this site is in the US, I have found that some automotive upholsterers have access to it.
I'm going for the fabric look on my cabinet - the classic American tweed in a dark red.

In the future I will put some work in progress photos up - at the moment, that work is being hindered by my day "work" dang! i've had enough already!

Simon_A
26th October 2008, 02:45 PM
I'm sure Clark rubber does an adhesive vinyl:unsure

Nope went there today trying to get some for my jukebox.

I bought some from spotlight a few years ago for about 3 bucks a metre.

Ahh how times have changed try $15 a metre and up

AdamC
26th October 2008, 05:53 PM
MetalSkin went to spotlight the other day and got some of this stuff ....

Zephyr Vinyl - F15608 Black $9.95/m

Simon_A
26th October 2008, 08:52 PM
Kewl, will have to ring around, my local one didnt have anything near that cheap. Was there today.

narf_
14th December 2008, 01:32 AM
just dragged a cab out and realised it has textured vinyl on it. will take a good pic it breaks up the woodgrain i reckon