PDA

View Full Version : My Jukebox Project

Harts
24th October 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi all, after playing around with a MAME cab running GameEx I decided to build a Jukebox. When I was using the jukebox in GameEX it would show random games and someone would always see a game the loved and play it so kill the music so a good excuse for another project.
I decided on building a smaller system so I could easily transport it if needed so I started to build the cab and see where it took me. I have the PC and im in the middle of trying to work out what front end to run, I plan on running a 15'' touch screen and wouldnt mind karaoke in there somewhere as well. I plan on putting in a spare LED wiz running tri color LEDs to light things up a bit as well. I have heaps of fun with the LED wiz on my MAME cab.
Im still a little undecided on what audio gear to run in it, I work in car Audio so the gear is easy to get but to inefficient and big bucks to get a 12v supply to keep up, We have some computer speakers we sell at work that pump out the sound but would be lost at a party. I might just run them and put some outputs on the back so if needed I can just run some RCA's into something bigger if needed.
Anyway any advice on front ends would be great, I have had a look at SKJuke but no to impressed with the display and im setting up Party Time now.
Anyway here is a pic of the cab so far.

Supremicus
24th October 2008, 11:52 PM
Nice cabinet design, will be keeping an eye on this project.

Davefjedi
25th October 2008, 12:07 AM
Tidy I like it

biggeorge
25th October 2008, 05:40 AM
I put a whopping great car stereo into a cab once.
I wired the PC power supply into a car battery to charge it and used the battery as a capacitor to absorb the large power drains of the amps.

Worked well.

Brad
25th October 2008, 08:02 AM
Ohh that Is nicely done.

My favourite frontend for touch screen so far is this:

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/

Brad

GEMINI
25th October 2008, 08:29 AM
great design
i like it

Crafty
25th October 2008, 08:45 AM
I like the design. Keep the photo's coming...

Harts
25th October 2008, 09:16 AM
Ohh that Is nicely done.

My favourite frontend for touch screen so far is this:

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/

Brad

Thanks heaps for the link, I was looking for it last night but couldnt find it. I will check it out.

Harts
28th October 2008, 09:43 PM
Just a few more progress pics, the cab is just about done except for the cut out for the screen. Who would have thought a 15'' monitor would be hard to get:unsure

Harts
28th October 2008, 09:49 PM
Led's for the LED Wiz should arrive tomorrow so I can start with that, I got the tri color leds so I can do any color I want by adjusting the intensity of each color through the controller. The leds will be installed so it lights up the silver panel and the small hole at the top, both will be controlled by the Led Wiz.
Still undecided on a front end, I cant get free jukebox as there site seams to be down.

GEMINI
28th October 2008, 09:52 PM
nice
Do you have a really big shed or are you building it at work??

daics3522
28th October 2008, 09:55 PM
Led's for the LED Wiz should arrive tomorrow so I can start with that, I got the tri color leds so I can do any color I want by adjusting the intensity of each color through the controller. The leds will be installed so it lights up the silver panel and the small hole at the top, both will be controlled by the Led Wiz.
Still undecided on a front end, I cant get free jukebox as there site seams to be down.

Try PARTYTIME thats what I use. Awesome UI too.... Free to try but you will need to buy the full version to avoid reminder popups...........

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/PartyTimeJukebox/

Older version but still good.
http://www.topshareware.com/PartyTime-Jukebox-download-5194.htm

longreach
28th October 2008, 11:51 PM
Sweet looking box. Very professional. My main fear when I start mine is that it will have that "homemade" look about it.

daics3522
28th October 2008, 11:57 PM
Sweet looking box. Very professional. My main fear when I start mine is that it will have that "homemade" look about it.

Make it somewhere other than at home then........................

:LOL.thumb:

Nidzdotnet
29th October 2008, 10:22 AM
Partytime rocks.. Do they have there new website up yet?

Harts
29th October 2008, 04:01 PM
nice
Do you have a really big shed or are you building it at work??

I wish I had a shed that big, its at work. I work in car audio so we have all the stuff needed on hand.
Partytime is looking good so far but I have a few to try yet.

Thanks for the comments guy:) This project sure is a lot of fun.

Harts
2nd November 2008, 01:11 PM
Got a few more update pics:) I have installed a lot of the gear im going to use in this one, its old gear but I want to build this one to see how it will run as I have a few old PC's and also a few mates that want these things now. I got the RGB Led's installed and the effect through my home made frosted cover looks good so it should be great when I have a multi color light show going on.
To test this on im using a low powered cheap 2.1 system with a couple of mods to the unit and also they way the speakers are installed (speaker mods not in pics). It will be interesting to see how it sounds, it should be good for home use and I have RCA outputs so I can plug it into any system for bigger events.
Im having heaps of trouble finding a 15'' touch screen, 15'' monitors them selves are very hard to find and im still looking for one I can maybe add a touch panel to.
So far on the software side of things im really liking Party Time, works well and looks fantastic.

daics3522
2nd November 2008, 01:19 PM
Im having heaps of trouble finding a 15'' touch screen, 15'' monitors them selves are very hard to find and im still looking for one I can maybe add a touch panel to.
So far on the software side of things im really liking Party Time, works well and looks fantastic.

Love Partytime......... Just get your 15" LCD Monitor and buy a 15" touchscreen film (3M) off ebay.

AdamC
2nd November 2008, 01:21 PM
Looking real good!

Did you make the led strips that are going around the sunken area on the front ?
What are you covering them with ?

daics3522
2nd November 2008, 01:26 PM
Partytime rocks.. Do they have there new website up yet?

Site is still under construction as of today

Fry
2nd November 2008, 02:36 PM
That is looking great.

IMPURE
2nd November 2008, 02:54 PM
do u have any plans, i like the design?

Harts
2nd November 2008, 05:24 PM
Looking real good!

Did you make the led strips that are going around the sunken area on the front ?
What are you covering them with ?

The led stip is all home made, the led's are the Red Green Blue common anode ones that will work with the Led Wiz letting me be able to get heaps of colors by controlling the intensity of each color on each led individually.
I made it by separating 50 way PC cable into 4 strand lots, 1 for common anode and one for each of the red green and blue legs.
The last pic in that series where you can see the green led on is the cover. It just pushes on from the front and screws hold it from the back.

do u have any plans, i like the design?

I dont have any plans for it as I have just made it up as I went along. I made it like this as it looks cool as a Jukebox and will also work as a basic jama cab as well.
When I get this one up and running I have a couple to make for mates and im happy to pass on the dimensions. I made it so it was easy to cut on a panel saw by doing things like the height is the width of a full sheet of MDF so you can set the saw up and just past the sheet through.

Harts
3rd November 2008, 08:29 PM
At last I found a 15 in monitor and best thing is its a touch screen monitor:) Got to love ebay! With a bit of luck and a lot of time I should have it up and running by sometime next weekend.

AdamC
11th November 2008, 09:42 AM
I got the RGB Led's installed and the effect through my home made frosted cover looks good so it should be great when I have a multi color light show going on.

What did you make the frosted cover with ?
Can you show a pic of what it is ?
THanks

Harts
11th November 2008, 01:14 PM
The frosted cover thats on the now is just a trial, its made from clear perspex that I just sanded the rear of with 60 grit paper. For the finished job now that I know the effect looks good I will get some perspex sandblasted to give and even finish.
I have Had the machine running for a few days now and all works well, just waiting on my screen to arrive, I got dicked around with the guy taking a weeks so far to send it.
I also have a short vid of the lights in action that I will post once I work out how to convert it to something useful.

Harts
11th November 2008, 05:31 PM
Here is a quick animation I did with Led Blinky, sorry about the add on the vid but it will do the job to give you an idea. The camera phone doesn't pic up the strobe effect to well.
Its on its side but once again good enough to see what I mean:)

jukelights.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

AdamC
11th November 2008, 05:48 PM
That looks really good ! :023:

How many separate LEDs are there ?

AskJacob
11th November 2008, 05:52 PM
looks like 10 RGB leds in this one. Each RGB led has 3 internal LED chips...

Harts
11th November 2008, 09:32 PM
looks like 10 RGB leds in this one. Each RGB led has 3 internal LED chips...

100% correct:). I have a switch on the back that allows you to turn it from Led Wiz to a separate set of blue leds so its a little neater and also completely off.
Im yet to get the Lumin Audio program working with the Led Wiz so it goes with the beat, I will keep at that one tonight.

Harts
15th November 2008, 12:11 AM
Got the touch screen in and now have the leds going with the music

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/harts13/th_IMGP0718_PC.jpg

daics3522
15th November 2008, 12:21 AM
Got the touch screen in and now have the leds going with the music

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/harts13/th_IMGP0718_PC.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/harts13/?action=view&current=IMGP0718_PC.flv)

Great work...........

Nidzdotnet
17th November 2008, 03:01 PM
Looks good. Keep up the good work there.. I like to see new home built jukes..

Harts
4th December 2008, 08:52 PM
My Jukebox now has a brother lol:cool:

Burra749
4th December 2008, 09:23 PM
Man that looks sweet.
I hope you dont mind but Ive pinched your design for my Jukebox.:unsure
Its almost complete, I will post some pics soon.:cool:

Dannymh
25th May 2009, 02:51 PM
I think I may copy this deisgn for my jukebox as well.

Do you have any photos of how the monitor is mounted?

Redback
25th May 2009, 04:44 PM
so was partytime the software you went with?

Harts
28th May 2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah I went with Party Time, I was going to try some others but the user inerface is easy and it has never crashed so havnt had the need to change. I have had a few Parties and everyone has been able to work it with no problems either even after a few brews:)

Dannymh
9th June 2009, 03:47 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but how did you get the bit of wood that surrounds the screen to sit fluch with the top and the bottom?

Harts
25th August 2009, 12:40 PM
I mounted the screen first and then just used some 3mm MDF cut to fit, nice and easy