PDA

View Full Version : Zippy Race Pinouts

Foot
7th July 2006, 09:34 PM
My board arrived today and I whipped up a harness for it. Prior to trying it I checked it again.

Something looks fishy, check out the photo of the pinout and then look at the pinout sheet for the game for the parts side. Parts Side Pin 22 on my edge connector is on the right hand side, which is GND. Pin 20 and 21 are +5 VDC. It looks to me that 21 and 22 share a common board pin out, can this be?

12VDC in the middle lines up OK, but down the left hand end looks like pins 1 and 2 are separate yet are supposed to be GND.

It's like if I flip the harness over it will all line up, but then won't the parts side be the solder side? or is the pinout sheet right?

Is the numbering on the pinout sheet back the front? does anyone have a Zippy Race they can check?

The Pinny Parlour
7th July 2006, 10:15 PM
Some choice.

Foot
7th July 2006, 11:13 PM
I don't know where you sourced that little gem Ian, but the staggered numbering matches the board markings.

Pays to double check these things doesn't it.

Back to the soldering iron!!

Thanks, Foot

The Pinny Parlour
8th July 2006, 11:29 AM
I don't know where you sourced that little gem Ian, but the staggered numbering matches the board markings.

Pays to double check these things doesn't it.

Back to the soldering iron!!

Thanks, Foot
Glad it helped. :)

Foot
8th July 2006, 04:50 PM
Hmm, all wired up correctly, turned in on and away it went.....except button 1 (accelerate) doesn't work. Button 2 (brake) works fine.

The cab wiring is fine, I checked with another game.
I checked the harness wiring upteen times.
I ran the game self test and button 1 isn't acknowledged

So it appears that there may be a board fault, specifically with button 1 (Now your starting to smile aren't you Savage).

There is another small fault when start a two player game; 2 credits in, then hit player 2, nothing happens until you hit player 1 then a two player game starts. Go figure

Needless to say this is giving me the shits. I can live with 2 player thing, but I need help sorting out the button 1 deal. Any Ideas

P.S I can't find schematics for this game, can anyone help?

Foot:confused:

Foot
11th July 2006, 10:46 AM
Alrighty then, an update.

1. Still can't find any schematic for Traverse USA/ Zippy Race or Motorace USA. Sick of goggling, but still want them

2. Haven't managed to sort out the weird Player 2 glitch.

3. Accelerator function. Rechecked Cab and PCB harnesses again. Looped a couple of GND's on the to the finger board just to be sure I'm getting a good GND.

Thought maybe the board pinouts info was wrong for accelerate, so I soldered another wire to P1 fire on the finger board and used the other end to test (in test mode for I/O) other functions of the board pin edge connector while pressing the fire button.

I tried one of the unlabeled pinouts next to the GND and got a response for the fire button. I started up in play mode and tried the same thing and it works. I then got another test wire and hooked up straight off the board pin for fire to the board GND and it worked. Removed the test wires and tried the fire button normally and it works fine.

It's almost like there was a small GND fault/ blockage on the board and what ever I did somehow cleared it. I'll admit it was probably more good luck than anything, but hey if it's working I'm as happy as a fat spider.:D

Foot

Arcade King
12th July 2006, 06:22 AM
Congrats on the win :)

Foot
18th July 2006, 10:29 PM
2. Haven't managed to sort out the weird Player 2 glitch.

Not a glitch after all, DIP switch for screen freeze was on, every time player 2 was pressed the screen froze, when you pushed player 1 button it would unfreeze the screen.

Can't see why it couldn't be used as a pause button while I grab another XXXX!!!!:D

Foot