PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Hack on Wii

t1ckt0ck
18th October 2008, 12:24 AM
I did the Twilight Hack on my Wii on Thursday and it worked. I do admit it took ages getting it to work, common SD Formatting problems. It installed the Homebrew Channel and I have been installing VC games. It works great, I have been playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. There are long loading times and the game froze once just before a cut scene, pause then unpause fixed it, but apart from that its been great. VC Games are perfect! :D

Anyone else have a softmodded Wii?

Burra749
18th October 2008, 05:39 AM
Well Done.
I would like to get the homebrew channel on my Wii but it is a brand new one running 3.3 firmware so the TP hack is not an option. :cry

So I had to take it to a guy & he installed a mod chip & I went & bought myself a LG DVD Drive.
This works a treat. ;)
I currently have 40 ISO files, & growing daily. :lol

While I was there I also purchased a SD Gecko card reader as he said there was a way of getting the homebrew channel using this, even though it runs 3.3 firmware. I just have not been able to find any info on how to do it.

Anyone know how? :unsure

t1ckt0ck
18th October 2008, 02:03 PM
GeckoOS (hopefully) should let you run the Homebrew Channel (HBC) installation DVD or your can install the HBC using the Twilight Hack.

The Twilight Hack is compatible with 3.3 FW:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack

or Downgrade your FW:
http://www.nes-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1139

mxd
28th October 2008, 08:37 AM
I've always been toooo scared to downgrade my Wii (3 month old d9pro or something like that chip), it has the 3.3e I think (the latest) and it won't play my SSBB's I have 3 or 4 backups that don't work. Apparently there is something in the new frmware that stops me from playing.

WOKA
28th October 2008, 10:00 AM
& I went & bought myself a LG DVD Drive.
This works a treat. ;)

Can you advise the LG drive model, I might need to source one..

Cheers.

Burra749
28th October 2008, 10:42 AM
Can you advise the LG drive model, I might need to source one..

Cheers.
Any of these will do.

LG-8164b
LG-8163b
LG-8162b
LG-8161b

Mine is the 8163B

Heaps of info here
You will also need to download Raw dump

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471073

This is for backing up purposes only of course ;-)

mxd
28th October 2008, 10:45 AM
I don't think you need the LG drive if you just buy a geko ??

Burra749
28th October 2008, 10:45 AM
I've always been toooo scared to downgrade my Wii (3 month old d9pro or something like that chip), it has the 3.3e I think (the latest) and it won't play my SSBB's I have 3 or 4 backups that don't work. Apparently there is something in the new frmware that stops me from playing.

SSBB is a dual layer disc, thats why you cant back it up.

There is a special dumper out there that does do it.

I don't think you need the LG drive if you just buy a geko ??

Dont you need to d/l the games off the net, & it takes forever & is problematic.
This way you just copy disc to HDD & burn, 3 hrs in total. :D

mxd
28th October 2008, 12:29 PM
Dont you need to d/l the games off the net, & it takes forever & is problematic.
This way you just copy disc to HDD & burn, 3 hrs in total. :D

The Gecko is a way to backup your original games, from Wii to PC without the need for a LG drive.

Guru-Choc
28th October 2008, 08:44 PM

Was a piece of cake, see my comments on doing it in an earlier thread. I started with 3.3e, twighlight hack worked and installed fine, rest was easy. Now I have the gecko loader installed so any discs that want to upgrade the firmware just get launched from it.

n4sa
29th October 2008, 05:00 PM
I have a heap of tested PAL VC wads if anyone wants them

Emohawk
28th November 2008, 03:26 PM
You can now use the Hack and install the homebrew channel on every firmware including 3.4

note during the hack install you will need to downgrade the firmware the best is 3.2e so all the homebrew works.

I have all the files including backup launcher, firmware down grader etc. Let me know if you need any help or the files.

mxd
28th November 2008, 03:56 PM
I have a few SSBB that wil not run on my 3.3e ?? (D2pro chip)

will the 3.4 stop more backups from running ?

Emohawk
28th November 2008, 04:19 PM
To what I have seen yes.

That is why downloading the firmware and stopping wiiconnect24 is a must.

Most of the homebrew stops as well. you can not install any wads using the installer etc.. But the homebrew channel still works and you can run programs but no installs.

But you can will downgrade the Firmware.

mxd
28th November 2008, 05:37 PM
ok, I think I will look at downgrading my firmware.

cwispy
29th November 2008, 12:37 AM
I have a few SSBB that wil not run on my 3.3e ?? (D2pro chip)

will the 3.4 stop more backups from running ?

The issue of the ssbb not working is more than likely the version you have rather than the firmware on the wii. There is know issues with the dual layer version on the d2pro and a few other chips. You can and probably should download the latest resource disk from d2pro.com and update your chips firmware and also turn on the update protection at the same time so the chip will only allow own region updates.

mxd
29th November 2008, 10:21 AM
thanks will try it, there is no Aus dvd, is there one inparticular I should use ?

Smit
29th November 2008, 02:13 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but once the mod is done, is it as easy as copying a game (or downloading the ISO) to a DVD, putting it in the Wii, loading up the game in the homebrew channel & playing?
... or is there some other little trick to get copied games working?

Smit

cwispy
29th November 2008, 05:23 PM
thanks will try it, there is no Aus dvd, is there one inparticular I should use ?

Use the Eur version, it is the PAL for our region.

Forgive my ignorance, but once the mod is done, is it as easy as copying a game (or downloading the ISO) to a DVD, putting it in the Wii, loading up the game in the homebrew channel & playing?
... or is there some other little trick to get copied games working?

Smit

It is almost that simple. Download and burn the ISO is the easiest way, but you can also try and find a LG dvd rom for your pc or get yourself a usb gecko (pm me if you want more info on the gecko) which hooks the Wii up to the pc allowing you to copy the iso to your computer and then burn it off.

mxd
29th November 2008, 08:29 PM
thanks, just updated and now my ssbb is working, thanks again.
cheers
Matt

Emohawk
29th November 2008, 08:30 PM
Loading the Homebrew and menupatcher etc only takes ~15min. Then just start downloading the iso's.

As long as you have a good torrent source you will have no problems with the ISO's. Burn them to a dvd and start playing.

Smit
29th November 2008, 09:45 PM
Once again, if I sound stupid, please tell me...
Can you play backup games on a wii with the twilight hack only or do you still need a modchip as well?

Smit

Gehirn
30th November 2008, 12:16 PM
You can if you install the backup loader program by using the twilight hack but it doesnt play every game fully .
Wiibrew.org also has heaps of info on the twilight hack , hombrew channel and that sortof stuff.

Guru-Choc
30th November 2008, 01:00 PM
It is almost that simple. Download and burn the ISO is the easiest way, but you can also try and find a LG dvd rom for your pc or get yourself a usb gecko (pm me if you want more info on the gecko) which hooks the Wii up to the pc allowing you to copy the iso to your computer and then burn it off.

Any tips on getting the gecko to work ?

Tried the old GUI that came with it and the new hacked version, get USB errors with both pieces of software, never been able to rip a disc yet. Swapped USB ports, swapped cables, tried everything to no avail :(

Smit
2nd December 2008, 03:34 PM
I've done a bit of reading & alot of info says that the game ISOs need to be "patched".

Does anyone have any info or even a link on this?

EDIT: Just doin a bit more reading... by patching, i assume they mean running the iso through the backup-creator.exe, with the common key.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Regards
Smit

cwispy
2nd December 2008, 11:43 PM
Any tips on getting the gecko to work ?

Tried the old GUI that came with it and the new hacked version, get USB errors with both pieces of software, never been able to rip a disc yet. Swapped USB ports, swapped cables, tried everything to no avail :(

Are you plugging the Gecko into slot B? It will only work in slot B apparently.

Guru-Choc
3rd December 2008, 07:48 AM
Yes, it works for 30 mins or an hour some times, just always falls over.

Emohawk
3rd December 2008, 10:17 AM
You can also use Menu Patchier to start the backed up disks through the normal disk loader. But you need to load it every time you restart the Wii.

It is also made by "Waninkoko" who did the firmware patch etc...

Oh if you download an ISO just burn it and it will work you do not need to do anything to it.