PDA

View Full Version : X-Arcade Programming Limitations - ARGH!@#%

fuzzmeister
6th July 2006, 02:09 PM
I bought myself an X-Arcade PCB, 2 Stick and 20 button kit for my project and now have them installed and was excited about mapping my own key bindings to it's 3 programmable states... :evil

I get the left jotstick setup for WSAD controls for FPS games, then i go to map the right joystick to Up/Down/Left/Right arrow keys... NO GO, they won't register, so i try afew other keys, TAB/NUM-5(why not this one?)/ENTER and afew others so far

I am very disappointed as these keys are vital for FPS games that i intended this project to be used for, did i buy a lemon with the X-ARCADE or are all the PCBs limited in some way like this? what are some other options for future reference?

Also i found that the labelling for the wiring harness was bogus or at least so it seemed to me. I did actually swap the left and right player control wires over due to length and PCB mounting limitations.

Any ideas? can you hack these controls to work via a cfg file or something (I used the X-ARCADE Test Utility to check my mappings, but the PCB does appear to not accept these keys)

Tim :unsure

The Pinny Parlour
6th July 2006, 02:46 PM
Firstly, nice Avatar.

There is your problem right there.....you purchase a X-Arcade. Ozstick should have been your port of call.

anyways.

I not sure about these POS's so I would be going to the X-Arcade site and trolling for leads around there.

Why did you purchase one of these? The reviews i have read of them do not capture them in the best light.

fuzzmeister
6th July 2006, 07:01 PM
1. I started searching the net and only found x-arcade, happ (maybe because it was on ebay also... where i bought these parts)

2. I later found this site etc when i had had the parts lying around for awhile, and actually have not seen any site that compares all the available stuff etc... the x-arcade was given great reviews i found... but as an PnP joystick solution (not project)

3. It did what i wanted at the time, usb/ps2 programmable, you can see the 'quick solution' attraction of it.

The Pinny Parlour
6th July 2006, 07:09 PM
3. It did what i wanted at the time, usb/ps2 programmable, you can see the 'quick solution' attraction of it.
Yep, I understand mate. I can see the quick solution. I hope you get it sorted out. From memory the X-Arcade uses a in-house custom encoder. Troll it's site for answers is my recommendation. :D

fuzzmeister
6th July 2006, 08:22 PM
Well there website says

Is The X-Arcade Programmable?

The X-Arcade™ is fully programmable. There are 3 settings for programming any keyboard key to any button or control on the X-Arcade™.

And i have sent them a tech support email requesting help/info on if this is a hardware limitaion... i'll post the results. :tomato

Tim

fuzzmeister
17th July 2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Guys and (Gals?)

Xgaming got back to me in regards to programming limitations... i haven't had a chance to retry as my cabinet is pulled apart with screws being filled and sanded ready for painting...

06/07/2006

It is not a hardware limitation for those buttons at all on our controller. With the arrow keys you may need to simply turn NUMLOCK off though.

http://www.xgaming.com/service/programming.shtml

:rolleyes

fuzzmeister
8th August 2006, 03:58 AM
1 View 08/07/2006 01:54 pm Tim Korving Yes i usually recommend some one elses application to test my creations also as my own while provided cannot provide an accurate account of what it is actually happening, yet i still release such software to test the resolve of my clients. (more...) Yes Send E-mail No
2 View 08/07/2006 12:31 pm Jeremy K "contrary to your reply i have discovered that i can indeed programme the Arrow keys and tab" - I don't think I said otherwise, I simply said that some keys cannot be programmed which is true.

As for programming, you will notice (more...) Yes Tim Korving Send E-mail No
3 View 08/07/2006 11:50 am Tim Korving What i have discovered is that the X-Arcad e Test Utility is what was leading me to beleive that i could not programme certain keys, contrary to your reply i have discovered that i can indeed programme the Arrow keys and tab (for example, (more...) Yes Send E-mail No
4 View 08/07/2006 10:42 am Jeremy K Your PCB cannot be bad if it works at all, as it uses a single chip for everything.

" i also wish to know if it is normal for the chips to be ground down on the top surface... as if to remove serial numbers and chip info?, is thi (more...) Yes Tim Korving Send E-mail No
5 View 08/07/2006 09:40 am Tim Korving original case# 8407

I have not found a resolution for this issue, i have tried another keyboard incase there was a compatability with mine and the X-Arcade PCB... No Joy there either.

Can i get some help please is my p (more...) No Send E-mail No
6 View 07/06/2006 09:35 am Jeremy K It is not a hardware limitation for those buttons at all on our controller. With the arrow keys you may need to simply turn NUMLOCK off though.

http://www.xgaming.com/service/programming.shtml Yes Tim Korving Send E-mail No
7 View 07/06/2006 06:17 am Tim Korving Hi, I have a X-Arcade PCB installed in my project and have it all working according to the default layout of your controllers (MAME setup/Hard coded yellow wire setting)

Now i have begun to program the 2nd state and discovered th (more...) Yes Send E-mail No

Basically, there own software provided was not indicating a successful key bind... notepad showed the true results... anyway the mentioned that on their site, but that app X-ARCADE TEST UTILITY is a piece of crap.. DELETE!>

The Pinny Parlour
8th August 2006, 07:38 AM
So Fuzz is the X-Arcade crap then? I already know the answer.

fuzzmeister
8th August 2006, 10:59 PM
:redface

It's okay, i do wish i went with the Ultimarc gear now (well ever since i heard about Ultimarc.

Software configs are a much better idea than 3 semi programmable and 1 hard-coded config (plus i had to do extra work on my cabinet for an led, a switch and a button)

As for the joysticks, they seem fine. the buttons are okay also, the pcb requires a ps2 keyboard connected all the time so i have one inside the case and an extra keyboard externally (soon to be wirelessly most likely)

Also i happen to have put their hardcoded MAME button 6 + 2 side by side (for player 2 coins and join) and they have it wired up that hit both and it = esc.. so exiting mame while far into a game can get a less than friendly reaction from player 1 DOH! :o

But i digress, since this X-ARCADE pcb can be hooked up to an xbox etc with a $50 adapter (that'd be US$ i guess) then at least that's there.

I'll be looking at an Ultimarc Ultrastik 360 (is that the name?) since it is analogue and has 8 button support... i'll probably reuse the x-arcade in a simpler MAME only machine... my next project.

Crap is too harsh a word i think (the test utility is though!) 6/10

PS. maybe it's time to show a photo of y project.. hmm now where is the show room @ AussieArcade ?

The Pinny Parlour
9th August 2006, 09:22 AM
PS. maybe it's time to show a photo of y project.. hmm now where is the show room @ AussieArcade ?
http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

EDIT: I see you found it already.