PDA

View Full Version : Ideal playfield angle for playing pinball

gunigoogoo
6th July 2006, 12:36 PM
Can anyone suggest what is the ideal angle setting for a playfield? Maybe in terms of how far to screw the leg levellers both front and back? I would like to adjust my Creatures but don't know if there is a recommended setting.

Cheers

DialogPimp
6th July 2006, 01:03 PM
The recommended angle is 6.5 degrees for modern solid state machines. If your machine has a spirit level on the RHS of the shooter lane, adjust the rear leg levellers until the bubble is halfway between the two black lines.

I usually adjust left/right level by placing a ball at the top middle of the playfield and letting it roll. If it pulls one way or another, you know which side to adjust.

If you don't have a level, you can always buy a "playfield inclinometer" from one of the major suppliers. You place it on the playfield and adjust the levellers until the needle indicates 6 or 7 degrees. I *think* I saw one at Bunnings or a hobby store but I'm not sure, so you may be able to get one locally.

Daring33
6th July 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah 6.5 is the recommended slope.

Has anyone managed to find a playfield slope meter here in Aus?, I know the US pinball sights have them available but shipping kills it on small purchases.

So how's the creature pescefritte?? Fill us in on what she's like.

gunigoogoo
6th July 2006, 01:36 PM
So how's the creature pescefritte?? Fill us in on what she's like.
Only arrived late this morning. Played 1 game but had to get to work in a hurry (wish I didn't). That's when I noticed the back legs were a little too low. She does look sweet though next to my Demo Man and World Cup Soccer. Artwork is awesome in my opinion. One of the best looking machines out there.

MadMikeAU
6th July 2006, 06:17 PM
Playfield slope meter would be easy enough to make.

I could have a go at making a few of them, if enough interest. You would have to cover materials, postage and a little bit for my time, though.

What are they worth, the pro made ones?

Sounds like a fun little distraction :D

NMD
6th July 2006, 06:20 PM
10USD from marcospec

http://www.marcospecialties.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=77%2DNCL&eq=&Tp=

MadMikeAU
6th July 2006, 06:27 PM
OK, thats a little different from what I had in mind. I was thinking of a spirit level marked off to 6.5 degrees.

GEE
6th July 2006, 08:44 PM
Can anyone suggest what is the ideal angle setting for a playfield? Maybe in terms of how far to screw the leg levellers both front and back? I would like to adjust my Creatures but don't know if there is a recommended setting.

6.5 degrees is the recommended.

But really, it's a starting point, rather than a set-in-stone measurement. Some machines play better with steeper slopes, others with less. "Suck it and see" works best.

Be aware that the bubble on the 90s machines is often waaay out of whack these days. You can buy inclinometers from a hardware store.

(I happen to have a genuine Williams one which I scored from eBay a while back :-)