PDA

View Full Version : cannes pinball

coolspot
1st October 2008, 08:55 PM
hey guys i am now into pin aswell i own a cannes now does anyone have a manual for it

jyebow
1st October 2008, 09:52 PM
welcome to the dark side , :D coolspot !!

narf_
1st October 2008, 09:54 PM
best to search italian collectors groups mate

try googling segasi

coolspot
1st October 2008, 10:13 PM
welcome to the dark side , :D coolspot !!

i feel more into pins for some reason will have to post pics of the restoration when i bring it home

coolspot
2nd October 2008, 10:13 PM
hey guys does anyone in australia have a copy of the manual they can either sell to me or do they have a pdf file of it

domehead
2nd October 2008, 10:29 PM
I think the manual will be hard to find, what condition is the machine in, how about some pics??

rod71
2nd October 2008, 10:37 PM
I think that brand of pinny uses Williams internals?.

coolspot
2nd October 2008, 10:44 PM
I think the manual will be hard to find, what condition is the machine in, how about some pics??

it is in ok condition i cant take pics as it is in marks factory heres the ebay link of it http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380066452665

Fair Dinkum Dan
2nd October 2008, 10:50 PM
hey guys i am now into pin aswell i own a cannes now does anyone have a manual for it

Coolspot, your best bet (no pun intended) may be to get a reprint from Jeff Wager on eBay US. Click here for link to auction. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220130289273)

Regards,

Dan

rod71
2nd October 2008, 11:16 PM
it is in ok condition i cant take pics as it is in marks factory heres the ebay link of it http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380066452665

Congrats on the purchase :)

Just curious tho. Why you'd choose an oddball one like that over one of the Gottliebs he had?.

Playfield layout looks a little like Williams Aztec.

Good luck with it :)

coolspot
3rd October 2008, 08:39 AM
Congrats on the purchase :)

Just curious tho. Why you'd choose an oddball one like that over one of the Gottliebs he had?.

Playfield layout looks a little like Williams Aztec.

Good luck with it :)

there was another one or two this one had complete playfield and i like the look of cannes i have seen one before at marks

Fish Tales
3rd October 2008, 09:31 AM
good reasons there
:)

Gav
3rd October 2008, 09:48 AM
Congrats Coolspot. Bet you can't wait to get your hands on it. WELL DONE:)

63wizz
3rd October 2008, 09:55 AM
Good luck with the new pin, will it take much to get it going, anything missing :unsure

cheers Ian

coolspot
3rd October 2008, 10:31 AM
Good luck with the new pin, will it take much to get it going, anything missing :unsure

cheers Ian

didnt have a look under the playfield all the backbox is complete no stray wiring nice and neat playfield could do with a quick clean new buttons maybe oil up the plunger a bit put a new coin door on it new rubbers new balls not sure what else

illawarra_steelers
3rd October 2008, 10:34 AM
Will be very surprised if it fires straight up - especially being a 4 player EM game.

You will need to read Clay's guides and follow them - the score reel contacts would be the first place I would start

Martyj
5th October 2008, 02:16 PM
If its the same one at Marks I looked at, it was very clean and looked good for its age. The playfield looked exceptionally clean too.

I noticed that the backbox was chipboard. Is the cab the same or is it ply?

Good buy though, should be some fun getting her to fire up!....

ktm450
5th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Congrats and good luck dude:023:

Strangeways
5th October 2008, 03:54 PM
there was another one or two this one had complete playfield and i like the look of cannes i have seen one before at marks

There was two in the last Container. Both VERY nice.

Unfortunately, one of the backglasses broke in transit :cry

coolspot
5th October 2008, 04:03 PM
If its the same one at Marks I looked at, it was very clean and looked good for its age. The playfield looked exceptionally clean too.

I noticed that the backbox was chipboard. Is the cab the same or is it ply?

Good buy though, should be some fun getting her to fire up!....

mark has had 3 of them mine is the one with 2 bits of flaking on the green bit of the back glass heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380066452665

Nug
5th October 2008, 05:11 PM
mmm, manual will probably be in spanish ! i have brought a couple of EMs back to life, the manual is nice but not entirely necessary. first thing i would do is Check the cabinet for any loose bits and put them in a container, you may find out where that spring comes from in 2 weeks !!!
thoroughly check that every wire is connected and the gaps on the relays all look good, the relays usually have a tab that allows you to monitor this (power off only tests) push the tabs and see good make and break action, do not confuse No/Nc
check that wipers on boards are clean and bits not obviously missing, look at springs,

next i would be trying to see where the back box looms want to lay and then if theres some marks or obvious signs as to which options was selected.

the big clues are when it starts up as to whats wrong and being based on old williams then pretty much any similar year 4 player williams will be very similar in the reset cycle (which is startup) games flyer indicates ever lasting finish, some kind of 70's diamond cote !!!

the clues are to watch things carefully (almost with a multiball like gaze!!!) and get a couple of abrasive like business cards and make yourself a gap adjuster.

this is a must for any pinball owner.
i make my own out of 3mm steel rod, bent into L shape and then with mini hacksaw just cut a slot about 5MM deep (do both ends of L)

never use gapper when power is on, never be tempted to opwerate relays willy nilly, can cause damage to coils (relay too)

A baptism of fire for sure my friend, good luck

PM me if you want to chat

:D

illawarra_steelers
5th October 2008, 06:58 PM
You would be far better tracking down a schematic for it rather than the game manual.

As Dan pointed out check Jeff Wagner - and guess what:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannes-Segasa-Pinball-Manual-Schematic_W0QQitemZ220130289273QQcmdZViewItem?_trk sid=p3286.m20.l1116

You get both for the price of one :)

coolspot
5th October 2008, 07:50 PM
You would be far better tracking down a schematic for it rather than the game manual.

As Dan pointed out check Jeff Wagner - and guess what:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannes-Segasa-Pinball-Manual-Schematic_W0QQitemZ220130289273QQcmdZViewItem?_trk sid=p3286.m20.l1116

You get both for the price of one :)

ballypinball said he may have one

coolspot
15th October 2008, 05:56 PM
got a manual fro the usa cost me 42 aud heres the pics

Fish Tales
15th October 2008, 06:06 PM
looks in good nick spot, ya will learn and have heaps of fun getting her going.
:cool:

DKong
15th October 2008, 06:09 PM
It does look in good condition, well done!

Arcade King
15th October 2008, 06:23 PM
Indeed well done Spot..just dont burn this one ;)

markc
15th October 2008, 06:46 PM
i will include a bottle of petrol for ya mate !!!!

coolspot
22nd October 2008, 03:51 PM
the manual arrived yesterday took 5 days to get here

felixthadog
22nd October 2008, 04:04 PM
the manual arrived yesterday took 5 days to get here

Where is your trademarked ":x" that you normally put in your posts? :unsure

Matthew

LOTR4U
22nd October 2008, 05:42 PM
You got some balls trying to restore one of these old classics as your 1st pin thats for sure.

narf_
22nd October 2008, 05:51 PM
good luck

i took a chance with mine and came out half ok. It hadnt been fired in 20 odd years

first things first is check every connection add credits manually and turn on at the powerpoint just in case

then press start and see what happens

ddstoys
22nd October 2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Coolspot
I have a manual for the Cannes pinball i might even have the schematics ill dig them out and let you know

Hey Sorry i just noticed you got one from the states i have heaps of spare parts for the cannes machine if you need parts let me know

coolspot
22nd October 2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Coolspot
I have a manual for the Cannes pinball i might even have the schematics ill dig them out and let you know

Hey Sorry i just noticed you got one from the states i have heaps of spare parts for the cannes machine if you need parts let me know

ok then pm me if you have a list

coolspot
9th November 2008, 04:42 PM
i have a problem i fired it up the transformer was really humming away the chime unit went ding at the start then after a while the transformer went a bit harder then it made a sound like it was tripping and it stopped i checked all the fuses and they were fine also nothing else happend while the transformer was going i do not know what is wrong now is the transformer stuffed

ddstoys
9th November 2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Coolspot
to me it sounds like you have a coil stuck on its hard to explain in words but look at all the contacts inside the cab and on the playfield. Push the switch or coil with your finger (Machine turned off) and make sure all the switches that are closed open and the ones that are open close. once they all open and close plug it in and turn it back on. If nothing happens try manually pushing the reset coil while its switched on can sometimes firethings back into life. I still havnt managed to dig out that machine of mine to get you a postage cost but will let you know as soon as i do.

narf_
9th November 2008, 05:51 PM
welcome to the world of EMs and switches

as said its a coil somewhere so a switch sounds suss.

i found one way to see any issues was to turn it on in a dark room any sparks helped narrow down areas to check for odd switches

coolspot
9th November 2008, 05:57 PM
i cant if the transformer does not go

narf_
9th November 2008, 06:01 PM
ahh disconnect the PF and see if it fires up

might of cooked the transformer.

coolspot
9th November 2008, 06:23 PM
ahh disconnect the PF and see if it fires up

might of cooked the transformer.

nope had it on for 20 sec the turned it off i found switches stuck on once they slide across they are locked on once the other coil turns on it unlocks them so i have unlocked it checked every coil now to try it again soon when my parents get back first time i had the fire extingusher ready:lol better to be safe than sorry;)

narf_
9th November 2008, 09:02 PM
i found with mine i did this

reset all targets
manually added credits
powered up and press start with a ball in the launcher in the drain

i also raised the pf a little to see underneath to see what has happening

coolspot
9th November 2008, 09:09 PM
it lives just got a couple of things to do to the pf also got to fix up the coindoor

arcadus
9th November 2008, 09:22 PM
i have a problem i fired it up the transformer was really humming away the chime unit went ding at the start
The "ding" is the clue. This can be many things, target stuck,relay stuck or score reel stuck.
I suggest you return all score reels to zero manually first.
Unplug the chime coils. Chime coils draw alot of power , operate only momentarily and will burn out quickly if stuck on. Leave them disconnected until the machine is working properly.

nope had it on for 20 sec the turned it off i found switches stuck on once they slide across they are locked on once the other coil turns on it unlocks them so i have unlocked it )
This is the interlocking relay for start/hold IIRC, expect this to operate on start up.

cardwhiz
11th November 2008, 08:01 AM
howd you go cooly??she up and running???

coolspot
11th November 2008, 10:14 PM
yes i got a problem tho coins up but when i push start some times it will start then it will go straight to game over its something in the back box does anyone know how to fix it

DKong
11th November 2008, 10:28 PM
Have a look at your credit wheel in the back box, the leaf switch that connects to the to the coil..check that

coolspot
12th November 2008, 03:55 PM
ok its all sorted now i changed the coin setup over and now it goes but the turbo bumpers dont go and same with the slingshots

coolspot
12th November 2008, 04:36 PM
holy ****:o:o it started pouring out smoke from one of the coils :cry i had the pf up at the time so i know what it is it is locking on also and the popbumper got power just wouldnt pull down

Nug
12th November 2008, 05:38 PM
you need to check fuses, this should not happen in reality....first thing...check fuse values, saves a lot of screwing around later

Fish Tales
12th November 2008, 05:41 PM
the nails in my machines are not stamped though!

yeah I found a 20amp in a 10amp socket on my EM

coolspot
12th November 2008, 06:09 PM
they are the right value i think i found my problem a rusty coil pole i got a box of parts a while ago apparently it was all used i found new things in it including 3 new poles so i will replace that and the coil sleeve and see how it goes i will have the pf up and fire extingusher in my hand

Fish Tales
12th November 2008, 06:18 PM
they are the right value i think i found my problem a rusty coil pole i got a box of parts a while ago apparently it was all used i found new things in it including 3 new poles so i will replace that and the coil sleeve and see how it goes i will have the pf up and fire extingusher in my hand

maybe a good idea to manually operate things (with the power off at the wall) to see if they are free and move easily

ddstoys
12th November 2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Coolspot Which coil locked on???? Find out what it is then hopefully it will give you a clue as to where to look for the problem. PM me your address and ill post you the coil since its mostly up and running you wont need the whole board so ill send parts as required.

arcadus
13th November 2008, 12:01 AM
holy ****:o:o it started pouring out smoke from one of the coils :cry i had the pf up at the time so i know what it is it is locking on also and the popbumper got power just wouldnt pull down

The smell of gently frying coils can be invigorating but seriously EMs that haven't been operated for a few years need patience.
You need to check every mechanism for correct operation and especially over lubrication.
In my experience many Ems have problems with solidified grease,grease where it shouldn't be, etc.
I use metho with a toothbrush to clean mechanisms. Other people will have different methods.
Lubricate sparingly with a spot of oil on motor spindles, axles etc. but don't grease gears etc. Clocks use brass gears but aren't greased, just a spot of oil on the axle bearings. (score motor in particular).Fight the temptation to use grease(vaseline?) as much as you can.Over a small period of time, the grease will attract dirt and gum up.
More problems are caused by sticky mechanisms than relay contacts.

coolspot
13th November 2008, 03:42 PM
it was the paper but im replacing the coil anyway

Nug
15th November 2008, 12:06 PM
it was the paper but im replacing the coil anyway

ah no...the coil is ****ed... and the paper burnt because of it.

i see you heeded very little of what i posted to you some weeks ago :sleep

coolspot
15th November 2008, 02:33 PM
ah no...the coil is ****ed... and the paper burnt because of it.

i see you heeded very little of what i posted to you some weeks ago :sleep

the coil is not stuffed it was only a rusting pole not moving holding the coil making it smoke

Nug
16th November 2008, 05:56 AM
no worries, ill be sure to ask you next time i have smoke coming out of my coils to see if theyre good !

if theyve smoked...theyre ****ed

coolspot
16th November 2008, 09:11 AM
no worries, ill be sure to ask you next time i have smoke coming out of my coils to see if theyre good !

if theyve smoked...theyre ****ed

as i said i am completly replacing the coil for safety anyway and i got a brand new fire extingusher rather than use one out of a caravan that hasnt been serviced for 25 years:o

Nug
17th November 2008, 06:54 AM
as i said i am completly replacing the coil for safety anyway and i got a brand new fire extingusher rather than use one out of a caravan that hasnt been serviced for 25 years:o

shit :(

coolspot
15th January 2009, 02:05 PM
heres a update i have ordered the new coil heres some pics

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2188.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2187.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2186.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2185.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2185.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2183.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2182.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2181.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2180.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2179.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2178.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2177.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2176.jpg

Fish Tales
15th January 2009, 04:08 PM
bloody nice condition PF on that
:)

ddstoys
15th January 2009, 09:16 PM
All the Segasu Playfields ive seen are in 10\10 condition the are printed much better than most other pinballs or they never got played lol

coolspot
15th January 2009, 09:18 PM
All the Segasu Playfields ive seen are in 10\10 condition the are printed much better than most other pinballs or they never got played lol

this one got played look at the ball lane that coil was the right on i may fire it up tonight

Gav
15th January 2009, 09:24 PM
Keep it up Cool, you'll be playing in no time:)

coolspot
13th April 2009, 11:13 PM
nearly finished now just have to get the coin switch and start switch going and it will be finished then ill post some pics:D

DKong
13th April 2009, 11:27 PM
nearly finished now just have to get the coin switch and start switch going and it will be finished then ill post some pics:D

And post some more pics of it together mate, and a vid will be sweet ;)

Edit Glad to see you have it coming together great feeling eh

coolspot
14th April 2009, 07:16 AM
And post some more pics of it together mate, and a vid will be sweet ;)

Edit Glad to see you have it coming together great feeling eh

yeah when i first did my arcade stuff when i first started it up i got to excited :lol i tripped and nearly broe my leg

Fish Tales
14th April 2009, 08:00 AM
Get some pics up spot. Not many collectors own a Segasa, and yours looks like it wouldave come-up looking great.

coolspot
14th April 2009, 08:20 AM
Get some pics up spot. Not many collectors own a Segasa, and yours looks like it wouldave come-up looking great.

i will tonight ill upload day and night shots of it never seen it going at night

MrMaloo
14th April 2009, 09:27 AM
Pins look awesome lit up in the dark . Look forward to the pics .

coolspot
15th April 2009, 01:45 PM
i just lost a coil in the back box it was moving freely the day before then i smelt smoke and it was pouring out the back of the machine, i was like shit its either a coil stuffed or its on fire but it was the coil i had my fire extingusher anyway but now after i had the back box done i have to start over again i may just flog player 4's coil as i have no need for it at the moment but ill have to get a new one sometime:cry

domehead
15th April 2009, 01:59 PM
machine, i was

**** me a comma i didnt realise your keyboard had them!!!

63wizz
15th April 2009, 02:10 PM
i just lost a coil in the back box it was moving freely the day before then i smelt smoke and it was pouring out the back of the machine, i was like shit its either a coil stuffed or its on fire but it was the coil i had my fire extingusher anyway but now after i had the back box done i have to start over again i may just flog player 4's coil as i have no need for it at the moment but ill have to get a new one sometime:cry

Bad luck mate, keep going you will get there in the end:)

cheers Ian

Fish Tales
15th April 2009, 02:13 PM
Lets try and untangle it a bit more.

I just lost a coil in the back box, it was moving freely the day before. Just then i smelt smoke, and it was pouring out the back of the machine. I was like shit its either a coil stuffed or its on fire, but it was the coil. I had my fire extingusher anyway, but now after i had the back box done i have to start over again. I may just flog player 4's coil, as i have no need for it at the moment. I'll have to get a new one sometime.
;)

Sux about the coil spot, that machine seems to have a habit of smoking-up.

coolspot
15th April 2009, 02:21 PM
it would be so easy if there was someone down here that could help me with it, ill try again tho

hamish_nz
15th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Keep going Coolspot your doing well

everything you do you are learning

4_amusement_only
15th April 2009, 05:05 PM
Lets try and untangle it a bit more.

I just lost a coil in the back box, it was moving freely the day before. Just then i smelt smoke, and it was pouring out the back of the machine. I was like shit its either a coil stuffed or its on fire, but it was the coil. I had my fire extingusher anyway, but now after i had the back box done i have to start over again. I may just flog player 4's coil, as i have no need for it at the moment. I'll have to get a new one sometime.
;)

Sux about the coil spot, that machine seems to have a habit of smoking-up.

:lol

coolspot
12th July 2009, 12:05 AM
guys i need help now im rebuilding the stepper but the grove in it will not step up, its to big of a gap and i dont know how to fix it does anyon know.:unsure

narf_
12th July 2009, 12:08 AM
cant extend the arm at all?

Oxobouy
12th July 2009, 12:40 AM
guys i need help now im rebuilding the stepper but the grove in it will not step up, its to big of a gap and i dont know how to fix it does anyon know.:unsure

If the stepper has reached the point where there is a tooth missing off the gear, it can mean two things.
1. It has reached its final destination, or 2 -- you have cleaned and rebuilt it wrong. I think were looking at #2 -- look at one similar and see where you went wrong.

coolspot
12th July 2009, 12:46 AM
If the stepper has reached the point where there is a tooth missing off the gear, it can mean two things.
1. It has reached its final destination, or 2 -- you have cleaned and rebuilt it wrong. I think were looking at #2 -- look at one similar and see where you went wrong.

you cant rebuild the thing wrong as it has the stop but it didnt work when i rebuilt them

Oxobouy
12th July 2009, 12:55 AM
you cant rebuild the thing wrong as it has the stop but it didnt work when i rebuilt them

I've been rebuilding steppers since 1985, and let me tell you, you can rebuild them not as they should be if you are not careful. If the game was here in front of me I would show you and fix it. BTW if you cant rebuild it wrong -- why is it wrong?

narf_
12th July 2009, 12:57 AM
silly question was it working before hand?

coolspot
12th July 2009, 02:07 AM
silly question was it working before hand?

no it wasnt ill take a pic today

narf_
12th July 2009, 09:23 AM
no worries

just ruling out all possibilities

coolspot
12th July 2009, 11:27 AM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2397.jpg

theres the pic you can see the gap im talking about

narf_
12th July 2009, 11:36 AM
doesnt look like its sitting right on the shaft. is there any play in the shaft?

id also re strip and give it a wizz with a drill and wire brush if i was you. you dont want rust particles getting in your contacts

also the springs look like they could do with a swap over too

coolspot
12th July 2009, 11:46 AM
doesnt look like its sitting right on the shaft. is there any play in the shaft?

id also re strip and give it a wizz with a drill and wire brush if i was you. you dont want rust particles getting in your contacts

also the springs look like they could do with a swap over too

its sitting right but what do you mean by play in the shaft

narf_
12th July 2009, 11:57 AM
does the center cog wiggle?

it looks off centre

coolspot
12th July 2009, 12:05 PM

it looks off centre

every things in the right place cogs not off centre i think its ust a certain way the cog has to go

Oxobouy
12th July 2009, 03:51 PM

it looks off centre

It's not off centre, you are looking at the spacer under the holding clip.

narf_
12th July 2009, 04:05 PM
ahh np looks can be decieving

Oxobouy
12th July 2009, 04:08 PM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q341/cool_spot/IMGP2397.jpg

theres the pic you can see the gap im talking about

The gap is supposed to be there, it is because it is a stepup and reset stepper, the gap is so it dont move the wiper past that position; for example if it is the player unit on a 4 player, you dont wont it to step more than four times -- one for each player; ball unit and bonus should be the same.

coolspot
28th October 2009, 09:43 AM
well i had enough of it a while ago and i have decided to work on it again ddstoys is going to rebuild the stepper units for me and im going to put them in i need to get a gauge to check the gap sizes of the contacts get some new plastics and finish off the flippers

Fish Tales
28th October 2009, 09:55 AM
good stuff Spot, that Daniel is tops :cool:

Davefjedi
28th October 2009, 11:13 AM
Will be good to see your finished product mate

coolspot
28th October 2009, 12:09 PM
Will be good to see your finished product mate

thanks and ive got 10 weeks of holidays to do it and plenty of money just waiting for gregs site to come back on so i can get some flexstone

stuba
28th October 2009, 12:33 PM
thanks and ive got 10 weeks of holidays to do it and plenty of money just waiting for gregs site to come back on so i can get some flexstone

FFS spot. don't wait for flexstone. it is a great product but scotchbrite cut into strips will get you by while you wait for it (and BTW greg is OS so you'll be waiting for a bit). innovate laddy! :) they are just old switches (just don't use steel wool) ;)

Hewitson
19th January 2010, 09:42 PM
Fix the bloody fuses smoke should NOT be coming out of the machine.

As soon as a coil shorts your fuse should go.

coolspot
19th January 2010, 10:41 PM
theyre the right value fuses according to manual and schematic

Hewitson
21st January 2010, 02:01 PM
I don't understand how thats possible.

Have you checked to make sure they're not jumpered/bypassed in any way?

coolspot
21st January 2010, 02:05 PM
I don't understand how thats possible.

Have you checked to make sure they're not jumpered/bypassed in any way?

yeah