PDA

View Full Version : Screen For MAME project???

atadich
3rd July 2006, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone!

I have been using MAME for couple of years now, and am about to embark on my own cabinet project. I want to build a small scale project, eg: Lowboy design. What I am hung up on is chooosing a screen. I want to go with a 21' CRT screen, and need some advice from anyone who has used these before. Is it a good choice? I dont really want to use an ArcadeVGA card with monitor due to cost restrictions. Are they hard to mount etc.....??? Or should i go with an old tv?? I want to use the machine as an itunes jukebox as well!!!!:confused:

Viper
3rd July 2006, 07:13 PM
A 21" CRT is a good choice AFAIK. You don't have to take them out of the case but it looks more arcade authentic if you do. As mentioned in other threads the picture froma PC monitor is a bit too good compared to the original arcade monitors but it doesn't bother me at all.

If you de-case it mounting will be a case of 4 screws, one in each corner, and then mounting the chassis somewhere. If you don't de-case it you can just suppport it with a shelf (many people do).

miikeboyle
3rd July 2006, 07:31 PM
if you take the plastic casing off a monitor, ive found there is often a metal casing underneath which i like as it prevents me from poking around the high voltage bits.

when u take off the plastic casing it reduces the overall size so you can fit a bigger monitor into a smaller cabinet.

atadich
3rd July 2006, 07:32 PM
Cool! yeah thats what i was thinking. With regards to the picture being too good...i find twiddling the settings in MAME makes my image look genuine. I reckon what MAME needs is a feature to simulate screen burn and colour crap ups.....lol:lol Thanks!

miikeboyle
3rd July 2006, 08:04 PM
in mame32 there is a whole lot of options to let you add scan lines and all that other stuff. i dont know much about it but i think i read somewhere that elvis from this forum has experimented with this and has had good results.
maybe pop him and email to see what he did, and if ya get it good, post the results

mike

feeras
3rd July 2006, 08:18 PM
Cool! yeah thats what i was thinking. With regards to the picture being too good...i find twiddling the settings in MAME makes my image look genuine. I reckon what MAME needs is a feature to simulate screen burn and colour crap ups.....lol:lol Thanks!

haha... simulate screen burn and colour crap. I reckon if you squint your monitor will simulate those "features"...

Viper
3rd July 2006, 10:50 PM
if you take the plastic casing off a monitor, ive found there is often a metal casing underneath which i like as it prevents me from poking around the high voltage bits.

Agreed, I did the same with my last PC monitor in a cab.

in mame32 there is a whole lot of options to let you add scan lines and all that other stuff. i dont know much about it but i think i read somewhere that elvis from this forum has experimented with this and has had good results.
maybe pop him and email to see what he did, and if ya get it good, post the results

mike

Nothing against MAME32, I used it on my desktop and would use it for that today if I was going to play on a desktop. But for a MAME cabinet it really isn't necessary and is just a big resource hog. Go for a command line version of MAME and one of the other frontends. There are many to choose from that will cater to your needs.

OzStick
8th July 2006, 04:15 PM

when u take off the plastic casing it reduces the overall size so you can fit a bigger monitor into a smaller cabinet.

WARNING - CRTs CARRY A HIGH CHARGE AND CAN KILL

Take heed that many monitors DON'T have a metal shield inside the plastic case and in many monitors the plastic case actually supports the chassis. If you take the plastic casing off the monitor you expose yourself to the potential of fatal electric shock, so BEWARE!!!!!

I get concerned when people recommend this WITHOUT telling you that the capacitor in a CRT can indefinitely store a charge of around 30,000 volts, which is enough to bounce you off walls should you manage to discharge it onto yourself!

And before anyone says it, yes I realise it is AMPS that do the damage but a charge that high could still kill you.....

I'm surprised no-one has suggested an LCD - they are getting down in price and have many advantages over CRTs, including the fact that they are MUCH easier to mount, the viewable area is bigger than a comparable CRT, then weigh heaps less, generate far less heat and consume less power.

I reckon a 8ms 19" LCD would be a contender...........

Cheers,
Chris

Viper
8th July 2006, 05:21 PM
The quality of the picture is too bloody good Chris and as they are flat they don't look like they belong in an aracde machine. You are right on all your points though.