PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Setup

LiveToRide
22nd September 2008, 08:29 PM
hey everyone again, was just wondering what sort of setup is everyone running in regards to there speakers? As im doing a wine barrel system i would like all the speakers to be housed into the barrel. I really like good quality sound so ive been thinking of two options

An External 5.1 sound card, running a quality set of 5.1 speakers like a logtiech pair or something. All dismantled and placed into the unit.

Or like a home theater amp and speakers also dismantled and placed in the unit.

Now im not a 100% sure if ethire of theses ideas would fit into the barrel so what i may have to do is have 2 of the speakers external and have them pluged into something like a plate that would be connected to the system.

So any advice would be greatfulll. Thanks everyone.

Daniel...

AdamC
22nd September 2008, 08:43 PM
Ive used some Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=au,en) speakers in mine ... they put out a pretty good sound.

DKong
22nd September 2008, 08:51 PM
What games are you running, a wine barrel setup sounds like a Vertical classic collection remember all these games were mono, a line out function(from your soundcard) direct to a speaker with a volume pot will be sufficient.

LiveToRide
22nd September 2008, 08:54 PM
Ive used some Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=au,en) speakers in mine ... they put out a pretty good sound.

Whats the sound like with speakers like this?. Ive got a fair larger undercover aera that would take a bit of sound to cover.

AdamC
22nd September 2008, 08:54 PM
What games are you running, a wine barrel setup sounds like a Vertical classic collection remember all these games were mono, a line out function(from your soundcard) direct to a speaker with a volume pot will be sufficient.

Psst ... this is the jukebox area. :badgrin

Whats the sound like with speakers like this?. Ive got a fair larger undercover aera that would take a bit of sound to cover.

They go pretty good. Been using them at a few of our partys, and took it to the brissy meet at Wokas last weekend, and it was still heard over the top of 6 pinball machines going flat out.

Nidzdotnet
22nd September 2008, 09:00 PM
I have a Sound Blaster 5300 5.1 setup in mine minus the center speaker and It works fine. 4 speakers and a sub is plenty loud enough to run music at a party.. People want to also be able to hear themself talk..

DKong
22nd September 2008, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=AdamC;209797]Psst ... this is the jukebox area. :badgrin

Whoops stumbled through the wrong door, back to normal programing sorry:lol

LiveToRide
22nd September 2008, 09:21 PM
So what i might try is this - Ive currently got this card here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Audigy-2-NX-External-Sound-Card_W0QQitemZ280267751275QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3701Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that i brought for my car PC setup and ended up going down a different path!. So what i might do is run this card with a set of logitech speakers and then go from there. Thanks for your advice guys!

Black Tiger
22nd September 2008, 11:32 PM

This is something I am looking at on the horizon ;) do you have any photos of how you set them up and housed them within your jukebox? I can't recall if there was a photo in your other thread. Is the sub woofer active or passive?

OzStick
24th September 2008, 09:36 AM
Just out of interest, why are you considering a 5.1 setup?

Crafty
24th September 2008, 10:42 AM
I started with computer speakers. logitech something or other, but they don't get loud enough...

Don't get me wrong they were loud but not enough:lol

I now have a dedicated sony amp and sony 200w speakers...

They are now sufficiently loud enough that the wife will after a song of two mouth something at the shed door....(Can't really hear what it is over the music)..

Then the hand signals start...

Brad
24th September 2008, 11:06 AM
Yep Crafty I'll be the same. I have a Logitech 2:1 X230 in mine. They are damn good but distort easily at the upper end. I'm going with a set of Sony Stereo speakers I have. I just need to buy an amplifier.

Brad

WOKA
24th September 2008, 11:13 AM
Any particular reason why you go with PC speakers..? Wouldn't you get better results with a car audio amp and some nice 6 x 9's..? Or is it a cost factor..?

LiveToRide
24th September 2008, 09:42 PM
Just thought id get the best sound of a 5.1 setup thats the only reason. Woka money isnt really an issue to a certian degree. For my 21st i rember the guy had a certian high powerd pc amp or somethign in the back of his unit didnt take much noticed and the speakers plugged into the back plate of that and run just like them stage speakers. Anyone have an idea on what sort of item the amp would be?

I was always planning to go somethign other than a pc speaker setup but from previous sujestions thought it may have been sufficent!

MetalSkin
25th September 2008, 06:02 PM
Not sure what advantage 5.1 would give. thats five speakers and a subwoofer isn't it? Makes sense for Dolby Surround sound, but Dolby Stereo :unsure I would have thought a 2.1 system would be just as good as the music is only going to be two channels :unsure. But then I really really don't know much about this subject, trying to learn but!

If you have music videos would they be in surround sound or are they generally 2 channel as well? Also with the sub woofer, does it matter on placement on a 2.1 system or even on a 5.1 system? I suspect the answer is no but not sure.

god i'm not sure about a whole heap of stuff! :)

David_AVD
25th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Not sure what advantage 5.1 would give. thats five speakers and a subwoofer isn't it? Makes sense for Dolby Surround sound, but Dolby Stereo

IMO, a 5.1 setup would be almost worthless for a juke. Spend the money on a better 2.1 set of speakers. Maybe a car audio amp and coaxial speakers. Maybe you can find a car amp with 2.1 output? I'm sure I've seen a 4 channel amp that you could switch mode on channels 3/4 to make it a (more powerful) sub output.

...with the sub woofer, does it matter on placement on a 2.1 system or even on a 5.1 system? I suspect the answer is no but not sure.

The human ear can't discern the direction of low frequency content so sub placement is not critical in some ways. Having it in proximity to the floor or wall can boost the apparent volume however.

Harts
21st October 2008, 10:42 AM
The biggest problem using car audio amps is providing 12 volts with enough juice to power them, most car audio gear with draw a fair few amps.
What is anyone that running 12 volt gear using to power it. The power supplies in our car audio demo boards that do about 80 amps are big $$$.

Brad
21st October 2008, 11:03 AM
I just installed twin car audio speakers in my juke. They are powered by a PC Altec Lansing Sub-Woofer which plugs into mains power.

They work great...maybe not doof doof quality but then I'm not retarded about it. My question though is that the sub-woofer is currently on the floor of the cab. I had intended installing a grill on the front of the juke. Is it worth it and if so should I place it on the back instead :unsure

Cheers,
brad

soup
21st October 2008, 11:48 PM
Not wanting to Hi-Jack the thread, however in peeps mentioning Sony car speakers - can they be simply hooked up to a 5.1 amp?
I'm currently using a 5.1 channel amp hooked up to a surround sound sub with two Sony mini-hifi speakers (pretty sure there just small things) and looking at wanting to get something more nicer/louder from my juke.

David_AVD
22nd October 2008, 06:52 AM
Not wanting to Hi-Jack the thread, however in peeps mentioning Sony car speakers - can they be simply hooked up to a 5.1 amp?

As long as the amp is rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers (which the car ones will likely be) then that will be fine.

Harts
24th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Your 5.1 amp will more then likely be rated at 8 ohms. It will run but you will risk damaging the amp if you give it a hard time. You can run 2 car audio speakers per side in series to make an 8 ohm load but car audio speakers are not the efficient and you will get much more sound out of an 8 ohm home speaker. Im in the middle of making up a jukebox now and just looking into what to run.

Brad
25th October 2008, 08:00 AM
. My question though is that the sub-woofer is currently on the floor of the cab. I had intended installing a grill on the front of the juke. Is it worth it and if so should I place it on the back instead :unsure

Cheers,
brad

Did this question have funnel webs on it :p

Brad

Harts
25th October 2008, 09:14 AM
Does it shoot out the front at the moment? If it does just crank it up at turn it around so it shoots into the wall and see how t sounds. That wold be the easiest test.
There are heaps of things that will effect how ity works such as type of enclosre, tunning frequency and size of room.
What sort of set up do you have (sorry if you mentioned it already, I didnt go back and read from the start)

Brad
25th October 2008, 09:27 AM
I currently have a 2:1 Sound system.

Altec Lansing Sub Woofer with twin car speakers plugged into it. Sounds okay but I hope to be finalising the core build this weekend and would like to know if I should bother with a speaker grill for the sub and if I should enclose it or not.

Heres a VERY incomplete picture:

http://www.emuchrist.org/images/DSC00040.JPG

Cheers,
Brad

Harts
25th October 2008, 05:44 PM
When you say enclose the sub does it already have its own enclosure or do you have just the woofer on its own? In my game machine I use an almost identical setup but the gear is a Micro Labs pc 2.1 system, it has 2 Kenwood car audio speakers shooting out the sides instead of using the speakers it came with and I left the subwoofer in its enclosure and fired it into the floor through a grill to make it look nice and its sounds nice but we dont have anymore of the same system in stock for the jukebox.
Im looking at building a high efficiency enclosure into the bottom of my cab if I cant find a system that will suit and power it with a small 2 channel amp from Jaycar that does 18 watts RMS x 2 and runs of 240v. The same amp will also run the main speakers, its a fairly cheap option costing under $200 all up but I like to see what I can make out of nothing by planning and researching so I will keep looking. The complete budget including touch screen should only be around $350 but that can blow out, it did on the games machine I built lol
Here is a pic of the game machine, the sub is the big black box in the bottom on the left.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/harts13/Arcade%20Machine/DSC00276.jpg
This is what it looks like with the top on but not trimmed yet in this pic.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/harts13/Arcade%20Machine/DSC00296.jpg

Brad
26th October 2008, 08:55 AM
Thats a nice looking cocktail style cab.

Yeah the sub is in it's own enclosure already, typical black PC plastic. But I think I need to put a grill in place either in the front or back and fix the sub to it. It's 240v powered and has the car audio speakers hooked up to it.

Brad

acejas
26th October 2008, 09:30 AM
mate what kind of wattage for the car speakers. I would have thought there would be no way that you could change the small satellites with car speakers with regard to the wattage? Do they sound ok?

Brad
26th October 2008, 09:43 AM
I will fess to knowing bugger all about car audio except I've installed my own always.

These are cheapie Super Cheap Auto speakers. Cost me $26.00 from memory. Specs on the box although I'm sure they're probably not accurate.

Speaker: 6" 3-Way Coaxial
Rubber Edge Injection Cone Woofer: 159mm
PEI Cone Midrange: 41mm
PEI Piezo Tweeter: 2-15mm
Frequency Response: 62-20Hz
Sensitivity: 90DB/W/M
Magnet: 80xH15mm (10oz)
ASV: 25mm
Max. Power: 130W/4 (Omega sign)

I have NO idea what any of that means and I'm sure the audiophiles here David I'm looking at you ;) can tell us more.

These are hooked up to an Altec Lansing PC Sub Model: 121i
Specs on that:

Specifications of the Altec Lansing 121i 2.1 Speaker System

Subwoofer
9 Watts @ 4 ohms @ 10 % THD @ 20 - 140 Hz Single Channel Loaded

40 Watts of Total Peak Power
20 Watts Total Continuous Power (RMS)

SUBWOOFER
Driver:
One 4" woofer
Dimensions
150mm(W) X 275mm(D) X 220mm(H
--------------------------
I reckon a better sub would do them more justice but it sounds pretty damn good.

cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
26th October 2008, 11:06 AM
Sensitivity: 90DB/W/M

The higher this figure is, the louder they will be for a given input power. So, generally higher is better but beware as it may have been achieved at the expense of sound quality. (ie, very peaky frequency response)

Max. Power: 130W/4 (Omega sign)

Hmmm... maybe 130W with 50% distortion, a tail wind and just before they catch fire! :lol

I reckon a better sub would do them more justice but it sounds pretty damn good.

Subs can be the trickiest part of the equation. Really good sub sound tends to be hard to achieve unless you want to get a book on speaker design. That said, most of the larger PC subs would sound good enough for juke / arcade use.

Brad
26th October 2008, 12:17 PM
LOL at the tailwind. Like I said I'm pretty sure those top-end figures are furphies.

Yeah the sub itself it great. I also love that it's built like a home audio input for the satelites.

Brad