PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pinball Astroboy

garybarrett
18th September 2008, 08:45 PM
In an effort to motivate myself to finish this project I thought I would post some pic for everyone to see.

This pinball was originally a Stern "Magic" 1979. I made a new playfield re-aranging all the features basically making it my own design. Hand routed a piece of plywood etc and put in all new playfield inserts. All the artwork is custom (Using Paint Shop Pro) including the backglass which is not shown here. I had the playfield image made into a 1:1 scale photo (Realy Cheap and Easy!!) cut out all the holes for lights rollovers etc. and glued it onto the wood. I then painted the whole thing in 2-pack paint. The custom wiring was the hardest part. I am puting together a better artical on how I did it all for those who are interested but for now just some pics. Enjoy!

GORGAR 1
18th September 2008, 08:47 PM
Nice one-keep us posted..

Peter

370parsons
18th September 2008, 09:05 PM
wow that is amazing great artwork takes me back to the 80's cant wait to see backglass

Virgil Tracy
18th September 2008, 09:21 PM
Very impressive, cant wait to see the finished product

cejay
18th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Awesome! You just gotta finish it now :)

Gav
18th September 2008, 09:46 PM
Well done, looks great:D Please keep the updates coming as things develop:cool:

Fish Tales
18th September 2008, 09:54 PM
thats very nice, makes me think a speed-racer pin would be awesome as well
:)

BuRNZ
18th September 2008, 10:08 PM

Arcade King
18th September 2008, 10:20 PM
well done, looks fantastic!

fatbeer
18th September 2008, 10:31 PM
Looks good. Are you going to have an "Atlas" target or was he not in the new Astroboy?

DKong
19th September 2008, 07:51 AM
Amazing! would it be possible to implement any sound samples from the show into the game, that would be the icing! A love the look of it well done!

Nug
19th September 2008, 07:55 AM
looks really good, are you using the orig boardset too? if you have wave files of course....
:)

Foot
19th September 2008, 07:58 AM
G'day, looks mighty good

David_AVD
19th September 2008, 08:59 AM
Great job. Bet it's take a few hours of your time already!

silverbak
19th September 2008, 10:32 AM
Awesome - great work.... I'll do something like that one day

Davefjedi
19th September 2008, 10:54 AM
what a great theme for a pin that looks dam sweet if only I had the know-how to do something like that

ANT68
19th September 2008, 12:20 PM
Well Done bloody impressive ,:023:
When you start production I'll buy one .
l didn't know that the Magic Playfield is similar to the Black Knight :unsure

LOTR4U
19th September 2008, 05:41 PM
BEST ever home project pin so far i reckon and almost looks complete :D

Keep up the progress pics!

GEMINI
19th September 2008, 07:03 PM
Fn COOL
Love it
Keep us posted

pinnies4me
19th September 2008, 07:42 PM
Love the graphics! What are you running in the way of game management? Is this a programmable game - can you write custom rules etc, add unique sounds (ie from the show as wave files)? Keep it up! If you need some help, don't hesitate to contact me or nuggy!

stuba
19th September 2008, 08:18 PM
awesome job. looks great! :)

Drfish
20th September 2008, 03:01 PM
Fantastic effort,
I,m looking at doing a custom pinball and seeing your great effort inspires me even more.

Arthur.

opm881
23rd September 2008, 07:41 PM
that looks great! If it was a commercial, i would buy lol. To awnser a previous posters question, atlas was in the new series. Many of the same characters were.

But yea, one of the most completed looking custom pins ive seen. Guess your lucky that you dont have to do stuff like the display. That would make it alot easier!

Harts
23rd September 2008, 08:47 PM
Nice work, it look great!!

GEMINI
3rd January 2009, 10:38 AM
:unsureAny Progress???:unsure

pinnies4me
3rd January 2009, 11:15 AM
:unsureAny Progress???:unsure

Guy seems to have come, posted 3 times, and gone. Not a bad effort for the guy who made the "BEST ever home project pin so far" :rolleyes

Really would've liked to see the game in play with a vid or two, and how the game system is managed.

garybarrett
15th January 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted comments, I enjoyed reading the feedback. The Astroboy pinball is finally complete and working and I have created a website for it see link below. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions regarding the project I am happy to provide assistance to anyone attempting something similar.

Email: custompinball@gmail.com

Thanks and Enjoy

LOTR4U
15th January 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted comments, I enjoyed reading the feedback. The Astroboy pinball is finally complete and working and I have created a website for it see link below. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions regarding the project I am happy to provide assistance to anyone attempting something similar.

Thanks and Enjoy

WOW what an awsome project!

I luv it (except you should have based it on the earlier astro boy as apposed to the "older" wanabee astro.)

Man, what a clean looking job. Very professional looking. Thanks for sharing with us.

I will wait to give final judgement as there are other projects being completed but so far I stand by my statement that it is the best home job so far.

:023:

silverbak
15th January 2009, 05:19 PM
That look fantastic - I love the artwork

- any chance of posting a video on YouTube of it working as it would be nice to see how it plays

top job!!

LOTR4U
15th January 2009, 06:26 PM
- any chance of posting a video on YouTube of it working as it would be nice to see how it plays

top job!!

+1 to that.

Arcade King
15th January 2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks and Enjoy

sweet!

stuba
15th January 2009, 08:46 PM
awesome! looks fantastic, artwork is very professional (paint shop pro!). congrats.

:041:

garybarrett
16th January 2009, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea will put together a short video, I have some time next week so stay tuned!!

Mango
26th April 2009, 12:40 PM
wow, thats awesome

PeterW
26th April 2009, 10:54 PM
What a beautiful job - congratulations.

Any news on the proposed YouTube video? I would love to see/hear this machine in action! :)