PDA

View Full Version : Smoked toughened Glass/Plexi/Perspex/Lexen

miikeboyle
2nd July 2006, 07:52 PM
Hey guys

Im after some for my project
Need roughly 540x540mm sheet that is about 4-6mm thick
Would like it smoked/grey apperance

what are you all using and what are the pros and cons of each?
how much does each cost?
Where in sydney should i be looking for this?

Thanks
Mike

garuda
2nd July 2006, 09:00 PM
Glass is the cheapest option. Depends on your glass supplier, but it should run between $30-40 for tinted.

tardisx
11th July 2006, 12:38 PM
Hey guys

Im after some for my project
Need roughly 540x540mm sheet that is about 4-6mm thick
Would like it smoked/grey apperance

Has anyone else used smoked glass/plexi? I'm keen as well, the idea of not needing a bezel is appealing:

http://www.arcadeparadise.org/arcade/ap3/monitor.html

The Pinny Parlour
11th July 2006, 12:45 PM
I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.

tardisx
11th July 2006, 12:52 PM
I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.

So you didn't need a bezel? Can you see the monitor surrounds?

humpalot
11th July 2006, 01:08 PM
I've got tinted laminated glass on one of my uprights and you can't see the monitor surrounds. It looks nice in the cabinet, but personally I think it's a little too dark. All my other cabinets have tinted glass and I like the effect.

The Pinny Parlour
11th July 2006, 01:08 PM
I actually have used some black cardboard to make a bezel and that was place on the underside of my tinted plexi.

look at the bezel area, you can make out the carboard bezel and the tinted plexi.

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/insidectsi.jpg

Here is a top image of it:
http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/ctbjk.jpg
http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/mamectnew.jpg
http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/topviewb.jpg

frs
11th July 2006, 01:44 PM
Lexen/Lexan (however it's spelt) hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet - but I'll be needing some in the future

Anyone know best place to get it?

Interstate or in Brisbane doesn't matter to me

rumackay
11th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Go to your local joinery, they should have both perspex (plexi-glass) and lexan. They should also offer to cut it to size for you...

Thanks local joinery... :D

revolt
12th July 2006, 12:40 PM
From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm). :)

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

madturbo123
16th July 2006, 09:32 PM
Where did you go for your perspex??? im after some :P

From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm). :)

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

Potato King
16th July 2006, 11:53 PM

Look under plastic fabricators in the yellow pages.......:)

In case anyone else was wondering the difference between Perspex & Lexan I found this on a google search..... Tomorrow Ill be discussing the difference between grass & lawn....:D

Lexan is a trademark of GE plastics.
Plexiglas is a trademark of Rohm & Haas Co.
Lucite is a trademark of E.I.DuPont DeNemours & Co.
Acrylite is a trademark of American Cynamid Co.
Perspex is a trademark of ICI Group.

Lexan is polycarbonate.
Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex and acrylic are polyacrylate.

Polycarbonate is harder than polyacrylate, and if someone wants to go dig up the physical properties listings, there's probably a wealth of other differences. I don't think it matters much in a case modding context.

Lexan is much more shatter resistant than Acrylic. Acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan.

Acrylic is available in different grades:
Extruded material is manufactured by pushing pellets through a highly polished die. There can be slight imperfections in the surface. Extruded material is usually less expensive and more difficult to work with.

Acrylic can also be cast There are different casting methods, with the more expensive material being more uniform in thickness. Cell cast is the highest grade, and continuous cast is in the middle.

revolt
17th July 2006, 11:30 AM

Well, I'm in Perth, but the place was:

Creative Plastics
47 Coolabah Way Forrestfield WA 6058
ph: (08) 9453 1246

madturbo123
17th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah pitty im not in WA.. but i'll check around to find a supplier in bris

Well, I'm in Perth, but the place was:

Creative Plastics
47 Coolabah Way Forrestfield WA 6058
ph: (08) 9453 1246

frs
17th July 2006, 12:18 PM
mate, if you find a supplier in Bris, could you please post the details?

haven't looked for any suppliers yet, but if you find someone I'll try them when I'm looking for lexan later

madturbo123
17th July 2006, 12:21 PM
yup np...
im headed down to slacks creek in a couple mins to check some places out.
i'll let ya know

mate, if you find a supplier in Bris, could you please post the details?

haven't looked for any suppliers yet, but if you find someone I'll try them when I'm looking for lexan later

OzStick
17th July 2006, 05:17 PM
-------------
In case anyone else was wondering the difference between Perspex & Lexan I found this on a google search..... Tomorrow Ill be discussing the difference between grass & lawn....:D
------------

Nice work tater! I always though the difference between grass and lawn was owning a mower AND actually using it!

Just keep thinking perspex and everything will be OK - it's just like people calling their vacuum cleaner a Hoover, even if it isn't.

Pinny Parlour mentioned different tints, there's heaps more than 3 depending on the type/brand of acrylic sheet you are looking at. In my opinion the best to go for is a very light grey tint as this knocks out a lot of glare fromoverhead lighting etc but isn't so dark as to make the monitor hard to see.

Increase the contrast and brightness a bit on the monitor to compensate, which will cause the picture to 'flare' a little with the end result when using a PC monitor (in my opinion) being that the picture looks more "arcade realistic".

A piece of "perspex" 540 x 540 in 3mm thickness (which is pretty standard and plenty thick enough) should cost you about $25. Others have already suggested where you may be able to obtain it from, but obviously you want to go somewhere that will cut to size and that has a range of different tints so you get the one you want.

Cheers,
Chris

Potato King
16th August 2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone interested in working with perspex on cabs here is a handy reference hand book for cutting, drilling, ****ing, whatever you want to do with it.

http://www.gcip.co.uk/pdf/perspexmanual.pdf

Viper
16th August 2006, 03:30 PM
I've bought several sheets of perspex from Bunnings. Both tinted and clear. Can't remember how much but from memory the sheets were all under $50 and were about 900x600mm

LOTR4U
16th August 2006, 03:48 PM
Only smoked toughend glass for me but im an "original" man so yeah. :p

Mickey Juice
16th August 2006, 04:19 PM
I've bought several sheets of perspex from Bunnings. Both tinted and clear. Can't remember how much but from memory the sheets were all under $50 and were about 900x600mm

Reckon you could use that stuff for making replacement pinball plastics??

Viper
16th August 2006, 04:33 PM
dunno, aren't pinball plastics pretty thin (like 1-2mm)? This stuff was more like 4mm but from memory they had different thicknesses also.

Only smoked toughend glass for me but im an "original" man so yeah. :p
Not to mention you got more money than sense. :p I mean, who spends more money chroming the legs of his cocktail machine than what he paid for the machine?

LOTR4U
16th August 2006, 08:25 PM
dunno, aren't pinball plastics pretty thin (like 1-2mm)? This stuff was more like 4mm but from memory they had different thicknesses also.

Not to mention you got more money than sense. :p I mean, who spends more money chroming the legs of his cocktail machine than what he paid for the machine?

I will have you know sir I only paid half the amount I paid for the cocktail machine! :lol

Viper
16th August 2006, 08:33 PM
I will have you know sir I only paid half the amount I paid for the cocktail machine! :lol
:D

4_ur_amusement
16th August 2006, 10:19 PM
maybe you should of bought a gym membership ??

Mickey Juice
17th August 2006, 09:22 AM

I had a look and there were some different sizes and tints (clear, grey, very dark).
All about $40. I could use the clear one, but I dont really need the lot :105:

IMPURE
5th September 2006, 12:59 PM
I bought tinted glass for mine it was the grey tint it cost 71 dollars with the edges bevilled :)