PDA

View Full Version : How do you scan a painted cp

DKong
27th June 2006, 11:12 PM
My LAI DK CP is ok but some of the graffiti scratched in is just plain vandalisism ok I can handle like "PK waz ere" ( where are you now PK) but some of the scratch's are just getting to me . The original seems to be painted on to me ( and please correct me if I am wrong ) will a printed version cut the cake, or should I look at painting it ...Man I knew I should of taken the screen printing course back in 85 instead of advanced maths ..Mum was wrong:D

Edit: Should add that I don't have acess to a scanner so will be taking it to a pro so maybe they will know..Is it worth the effort to get these CP scanned or should someone be trying to make stencils?

The Pinny Parlour
28th June 2006, 12:06 AM
My LAI DK CP is ok but some of the graffiti scratched in is just plain vandalisism ok I can handle like "PK waz ere" ( where are you now PK) but some of the scratch's are just getting to me . The original seems to be painted on to me ( and please correct me if I am wrong ) will a printed version cut the cake, or should I look at painting it ...Man I knew I should of taken the screen printing course back in 85 instead of advanced maths ..Mum was wrong:D

Edit: Should add that I don't have acess to a scanner so will be taking it to a pro so maybe they will know..Is it worth the effort to get these CP scanned or should someone be trying to make stencils?

Cocktail or upright?

Mickey Juice
28th June 2006, 08:18 AM
I'd say the original would have been screenprinted on...
I'd maybe leave the original and try to reproduce it with a new CP.

DKong
28th June 2006, 07:21 PM
Cocktail or upright?

Cocktail

DKong
28th June 2006, 07:34 PM
Here's a couple of pics ..P1 is ok..but P2 is pretty bad..which I find strange as you would expect more usage on P1 ? Love how someone scratched the arrow going up the ladder..:x

Mickey Juice
28th June 2006, 09:21 PM
Is it possible to get behind the CP and try and take it off?? That would be the best method... dis-assemble and try and scan. Will be hard, but worth it IMHO.

The Pinny Parlour
28th June 2006, 10:47 PM
Here's a couple of pics ..P1 is ok..but P2 is pretty bad..which I find strange as you would expect more usage on P1 ? Love how someone scratched the arrow going up the ladder..:x

Mine is from a BIG LAI Classic Upright, (like the one on the AA banner)

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/dkcp1.jpg

MadMikeAU
29th June 2006, 05:53 AM

My guess is that P1 was spending more time playing while P2 had is broke friend watching.

catty
29th June 2006, 09:11 AM

Get that sucker put together Ian. What are you waiting for?:D

The Pinny Parlour
29th June 2006, 12:56 PM
Get that sucker put together Ian. What are you waiting for?:D
I will, I will. I need a house first, then a big **** OFF shed. :lol

Catty's refering to my LAI upright, DK marquee & CP to convert into a LAI DK which WILL happen.

DKong
29th June 2006, 01:25 PM
Is it possible to get behind the CP and try and take it off?? That would be the best method... dis-assemble and try and scan. Will be hard, but worth it IMHO.

I have taken it off before to clean ..so thats no prob.. The control panel has a metal lip above the artwork (where the bolts go through) so you can't lie it flat on a scanner and get 100% of the artwork. I have another one which is rusty . I will eventually use that one to reprint the artwork and keep the OK originals.

DKong
29th June 2006, 01:34 PM

That looks great Ian well worthy of a cab!
Does Donkey Kong have blood around the mouth on your CP hard to make out from the pic.

Ric
29th June 2006, 02:04 PM
may get flamed here

I personally would leave it. It is nostalgic and adds to the character of the whole retro feel.

Yes some kid has scratched his name into it but it shows it was played and used as a working machine.

My ghost munchers CPs (the tpye Ian has) are scratched to crap but part of me want to just leave them (this is also the part of me that is telling me to fix the power supply so i can play the damn game)

Ric

elvis
29th June 2006, 02:08 PM
I would do one of the following:

1) With a nice steady tripod, good consistent lighting and a decent camera (SLR, if you can get one), take a nice high-res photo dead straight on.

or

2) Pick your scanner up, slap it against the side of the cab (or on top of the CP or whatever), and hit "scan". Easier with a laptop too!

If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain. :)

There's a few vector artists on these forums who could work on the scans for you. Or you could do it yourself. Get a free vector program like InkScape (http://www.inkscape.org/), load up the image in the background and trace over the sucker. Instant hi-res vector reproduction!

The Pinny Parlour
29th June 2006, 02:22 PM
may get flamed here

I personally would leave it. It is nostalgic and adds to the character of the whole retro feel.

Yes some kid has scratched his name into it but it shows it was played and used as a working machine.

My ghost munchers CPs (the tpye Ian has) are scratched to crap but part of me want to just leave them (this is also the part of me that is telling me to fix the power supply so i can play the damn game)

Ric

Ric, do you have the upright?

That looks great Ian well worthy of a cab!
Does Donkey Kong have blood around the mouth on your CP hard to make out from the pic.

Good question mate, don't know right now as i'm at work. Will look at the high res photos of it when i get home. (gee I will have to start my windows machine to do that) heh heh heh

Ric
29th June 2006, 02:43 PM
cocktail ghostmuncher/uniwars

all ready to go except power supply which blew up on monday night