PDA

View Full Version : Board repair troubleshooting help ?

prktkljokr
10th August 2008, 02:47 PM
Ok Im a noob when it comes to board repair, I do the usual thing of resetting the chips, cleaning the pins checking the solder side for bent and touching pins, burnt or broken tracks, but this as far as my knowledge will let me go, I know a liittle about electronics to get me by, but im no wizz and should more than likely leave some things alone ( I just cant help myself ) :evil .

Now I have a few boards that have the same problems and would like to read somewhere that has a universal troubleshooting list, like : eg

Problem = garbled grafix
Probable Cause = bent pins, etc ?
Solution = remove chips, clean and straighten pins, etc

Much like what you find in the back of your new dvd instruction manual, but with the pulling it apart bit included.

Ive found some similar problems that I have with some of my boards by doing the long search through threads, but if there was a check list of things that a noob like me could check, before turning a possible minor faulty board into a fried scrap board.

I have some boards with just white screen, some with black screen, some with garbled grafix and one that works with a black line through the middle (capcom SF2) to one that works ok with sound but I cant stop it from rolling on the screen with the chassis adjustments ?

I know that some things are out of my knowledge, but I just want to see if I can fix some of these without too much fuss

RaMpAgE
10th August 2008, 05:33 PM
this should get you stared.

I have found that more in depth repairing requires solder/desoldering station, logic probe and/or oscilloscope, eeprom programmer/reader. Understanding of TTL's, LS's, roms, rams etc, be able to read schematics and know where and what part of board does what, although not usually the case.

prktkljokr
10th August 2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks thats a start, I have the basics soldering iron, solder sucker ect plus 40 kg of resistors, caps, eproms and the like I scored in a huge wooden box from a deceaced estate auction