PDA

View Full Version : please help....changing arcade cabinet to mame

rohtom
23rd June 2006, 12:06 PM

1131hi, i am so happy i found this site as i live in sydney.......here is my story.
I found out about mame from itms being sold on ebay and recently bought a used and partly gutted old nba jam gottlieb cabinet (pics attached). It doesn't have a coin mech or a rom card (i think that would go on the left?) I turned it on and can get the monitor to switch on so that is a good sign. I am only starting my research and have heaps of questions that i cannot find answers for.
Does it look like anything else is missing?
Is the connection in the cabinet JAMMA? and if so can a pc for MAME be connected directly to this harness?
Where the hell would i put the pc in there...will it overheat, should i add a fan to the back of the cabinet?
Should i keep this monitor?...is vertical like this or horizontal better? Will this screen play most games?
What type of pc would u recommend?
What other bits are essential to getting started?
I needsome mentors ..........hoping someone can help..
Cheers.

Berty
23rd June 2006, 12:10 PM
Okay,

What you need is a J-Pac from Chris at Ozstick (www.ozstick.com.au). This converts the input from your buttons to USB so the computer can deal with it.

Second, you need an arcade VGA card to make your computer work with the monitor, OR powerstrip (PC software).

You can either get those really small factor pc cases, or you can just de-case your pc and mount it all on a wooden board.

The upside of doing it this way is that your cab will still be able to play regular arcade pcb's and wont be limited to mame. Offcourse, im basing all of this on the assumption that your cab works. Whn using your j-pac, you will need to disconnect the power supply from the harness to prevent any damage.

Other than that, it just comes down to setting your pc up with the software that you want.

Ric
23rd June 2006, 12:12 PM
you will need to do a few things before you can change it to mame

first, ask yourself should i change to MAME - arcade games are grear and this is nice cab

second if you do, you will need to rotate that monitor - it is currently set for vertical games (up down orientation) MAME predominantly works in horizontal (left -right)

third

you will need an interface with the cabinet - such a JPAC and an arcadevga card to get the resolution right

this is the bare bones

others will expand

welcome to the forum

Ric

rohtom
23rd June 2006, 12:27 PM
sweet....
should i have seperate power supply for the pc or could it be wired to cabinet?
Is it a jamma harness..(obviously i've never lookedinside on of these before)?
Do you just connect a rom game card to this harness?
If an ipac is used for buttons to pc does the normal functionability of the buttons for standard rom cards work?
Does it loo like anything else is missing?

cheers ric....
do you thin one of those 39 in one cards would go ok on this?

humpalot
23rd June 2006, 01:09 PM
one of the ?? in 1 boards are a good option. They basically offer plug and play installation and provide a good selection of games. There are also PC based all in 1 boards as well, these come in horizontal and vertical game formats.

Davefjedi
23rd June 2006, 02:09 PM
i would make sure the monitor works first before doing anything have you seen it running the connection does look like a jamma plug if you have no way of testing the monitor but a crappy jamma game off ebay just to see if the monitor works