PDA

View Full Version : keyobard encoders for 4 player cabs

MikGan
22nd June 2006, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

Firstly, hope this is going in the right spot, kinda still new to these forums.

Im getting the bits together for my cab and have ordered the buttons, or half of em at least, and am now debating keyboard encoders, I found this thread:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=1375&highlight=keyboard+interface

But it maily discussed 2 player encoders. Im after 4 players, 6 buttons each, start and credit buttons for all. Still it seems the main choices are the IPAC4 and the KeyWiz in daisy chain.

So can you actually daisy chain the Keywiz's? is it difficult / problematic? and does either have a clear advantage over the other?

If you can daisy chain the KeyWiz, do I need extra parts?

At this stage Im leaning towards the IPAC4 only because it sounds like its an out of the box solution for what im after, but feel free to convince me otherwise.

cheers,
Mik.

rumackay
22nd June 2006, 03:21 PM
I have just ordered the ipac4 for my 4-player cab that is under construction because after all the research I could do I found nothing to suggest that it was not the most complete and easy to use interface there is.

I think if you are new at this arcade cabinet thing like me then it could be the better option, much easier than daisy chaining when you don't need to.

Don't second guess yourself, go with the ipac4. I haven't heard a bad word about it for all my searching otherwise...but then again I'm new at this...

The Pinny Parlour
22nd June 2006, 05:20 PM
I have just ordered the ipac4 for my 4-player cab that is under construction because after all the research I could do I found nothing to suggest that it was not the most complete and easy to use interface there is.

I think if you are new at this arcade cabinet thing like me then it could be the better option, much easier than daisy chaining when you don't need to.

Don't second guess yourself, go with the ipac4. I haven't heard a bad word about it for all my searching otherwise...but then again I'm new at this...

Hi rumackay,

Welcome to the forums mate. :)

Great to see you helping out others, we encourage that.

Enjoy!
Ian

Smit
22nd June 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi MikGan,

I am currently building a 4-player cab with a mate and have just finished the mock up control panel, complete with I-PAC4..... No complaints at all, very happy.

Plugged in straight away, no software installed... was playing snow bros. in th time it took to boot up..

Very happy cutomer, would recommend it to anyone..
Bought it from Ozstick and once again, no complaints there... quick and honest service... he said it would be here in a week, got it in 5 days (or somehting along that timeline).

I should also note that I have NEVER used a Keywiz, so I have absolutly no comparison between the two. All I an say is that the I-PAC4 works really well. Other may be able to help you with this.

Hope that helps
Smit

MikGan
22nd June 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like the IPAC4 is the goer! My buttons arrived today, so now to order the IPAC, trying to spread these things out so the wife dont hit the roof :P lol.

Viper
22nd June 2006, 09:40 PM
Yep IPAC4 UNLESS you are using a converted JAMMA cab and arcade monitor. My 4 player cab was a converted generic 4 player machine and I was running a JPAC daisy chained to a MiniPAC (an IPAC2 would also do rather than the MiniPAC). Used the JPAC for players 1 &2 so the JAMMA wiring could stay the way it was and used the MiniPAC for player 3, 4 and some coin buttons (under the CP) for all 4 players.

MikGan
23rd June 2006, 11:13 AM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered an IPAC4 today, bit-o-luck should be here next week. $105 delivered to my door, sweeeeet.

madturbo123
16th July 2006, 06:42 PM
Yep IPAC4 UNLESS you are using a converted JAMMA cab and arcade monitor. My 4 player cab was a converted generic 4 player machine and I was running a JPAC daisy chained to a MiniPAC (an IPAC2 would also do rather than the MiniPAC). Used the JPAC for players 1 &2 so the JAMMA wiring could stay the way it was and used the MiniPAC for player 3, 4 and some coin buttons (under the CP) for all 4 players.

I also would like to do what you have done micro. I've never daisy chained a jpac/ipac together where can i find more info or pics. Thanks mate